PDA

View Full Version : New Here...Hair Questions =P

mangobartender
May 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hello there. My name is Tyler yadada. I have a few qustions about my hair...as many people here have I am sure. I am of white/black decent so my hair is very curly. I didnt know what any of the stuff meant when I was filling out the stuff...ie ii/iii or 4b/4c etc etc so I just chose anything. Anywho, here are a couple of pictures of my hair.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Herpman/th_Snapshot_20080520.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Herpman/Snapshot_20080520.jpg)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Herpman/th_Snapshot_20080520_1.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Herpman/Snapshot_20080520_1.jpg)

I was wondering if It will drop OR become a big curly afro..which is what I do NOT want. I heard that washing it everyday is not good for it and that natural oils are whats best so I have not washed my hair for about a week now. It is very soft so I cannot imagine it being able to withstand an afro-type figure =] Any thoughts on how my hair will look like long and how to go about properly taking care of it?

Riot Crrl
May 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hey mango

I think you might have filled out the stats just about correct, lol. Looks around 3c to me. (That means curl tightness, F/M/C is the fineness, mediumness or coarseness of your individual strands, and i/ii/iii is how thick all your hair together is.)

Looks to me like it'll drop fairly soon if you keep growing. I think it'll look awesome long.

I know you are a dude, but you might want to look into the "Curly Girl" method. Among other things, it prescribes washing our hair with conditioner instead of shampoo.

mangobartender
May 26th, 2008, 06:30 PM
haha well its good I filled that out sorrect. I was about to shave it all off a few days ago because people were telling me it will be a big curly bush but I just dont see how my hair could be able do that =// Where can I find the 'Curly Girl' method?

Kirin
May 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I cant be completely certain, but with the texture and growth pattern of your hair that i can see, i do think it will eventually drop as it gets longer. It may grow 'higher' before it reaches this point though.

mangobartender
May 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds awesome. When I wash it it gets really poofy and I hate that so Im just not washing m hair for a while and putting coconut oil in my hair almost everyday =P

justgreen
May 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Alot of curlies wash with conditioner, not shampoo. This allows the hair to become soft, yet not bush out and fly away. You apply conditioner to your hair and massage it in , leaving in on for a while, some wait 10 minutes, others longer. Rinse well with warm water, followed by a cool rinse to help calm the cuticle and promote shine.

Kirin
May 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I second the conditioner wash routine, and agree with your use of coconut oil. Squeaky clean hair with shampoo tends to "pouf"

mangobartender
May 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Sounds awesome =]] So I should wash my hair with conditioner how often? And any particular kind of conditioner??

justgreen
May 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Sounds awesome =]] So I should wash my hair with conditioner how often? And any particular kind of conditioner??

Most folks find they get good results using the Suave and the VO5 goodies. These conditioners are cone free and are 'light', so they don't make the hair lanky and dull. You could probably wash every other day if you prefer.

mangobartender
May 27th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Sweet. I would love to wash it that often but Im just too scared it will poof up like it always does when it gets wet and then grow out to be an afro =//

justgreen
May 27th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Then just wash whenever you choose to. Most guys that first start here say they have to wash their hair often. I used to wash everyday when I worked, now I wash twice, sometimes three times a week.

ladystar
May 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I wash once a week, sometimes but very rare I wash twice. The first day I wash my hair is a frizz ball, then I had the coconut oil to calm it down. Seems like your hair will grown down. Try it out for a while and see what works best for you.

mangobartender
May 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah after a while, my head got very itchy and dandruffy =[[ SO I washed it today with some shampoo/conditioner stuff by Suave. Now there are like a million tiny curls on my head and it looks weird but thats what always happens when my hair gets wet.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Herpman/th_Snapshot_20080527.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Herpman/Snapshot_20080527.jpg)

lora410
May 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It will prob drop; just be patient. I mostly CO my dd's curly head, and use oil on it almost everyday when it is damp. It really helps soften the curls and add more moisture. Most growing of hair is dealing with the difficult stages and being patient (as hard as that is)

mangobartender
May 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
haha fair enough. My hair grows so far like 2 inches every 5 months I guess...but I shall be patient =P

ladystar
May 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Have you tried ACV rinses ? It helps with the itching.

mangobartender
May 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have not..I dont think. What is ACV rinsing?

ladystar
May 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I have not..I dont think. What is ACV rinsing?

Apply Cider Vinegar

You rinse your hair after wash and condi half water half vinegar let it sit for 30 secs then rinse all. That's how I do it.

justgreen
May 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Use about 2 tablespoons of vinegar mixed with one cup of water.

Tapioca
May 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Two or three drops of tea tree oil (I found it at Wal-Mart near the vitamins) added to my handful of shampoo (or conditioner in your case) really stopped the itchies for me. It's antibacterial and antifungal, so it'll kill anything that's causing the itch. Dryness can also cause itch, but it sounds like you're using coconut oil fairly regularly, so I'd guess you don't have a dry scalp.

Ohio Sky
May 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Try checking out a few profiles of people here with similar hair. I know Glasseyes has about the same kind of hair as you, and his is long enough that it is growing down. It looks great.

Welcome to LHC!

mangobartender
June 2nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks =P How can I find his profile and pictures???

justgreen
June 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks =P How can I find his profile and pictures???

You need to start posting on other parts of the board, join in on other stuff. You won't be able to view pics and profiles, etc, until you get your post count up.

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think your hair will look amazing long- my guess is that it will "drop" as it gets longer. I look forward to watching your progress!

mangobartender
June 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
I saw his hair...pretty intreesting stuff =P One of my friends had hair kinda like mine and his looked cool when it got long. Glasseyes' hair was kinda like mine but we shall see. Hopefully it will drop but if not..It'll still look cool im sure =P