PDA

View Full Version : I have decided.

NickalNack
October 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Hey guys. It's been a long time since I last posted here. I know I haven't been very active in a while. Well, I think part of the reason for that is because after about five months of really thinking it over, I've finally decided to just let my hair dread. It's something I've thought about since I first cut off the relaxer two years ago. I'm going to go the patience route, and do nothing to my hair but wash it regularly and just let it do what it wants. I'm very happy about my decision. :cheese: That dancing cheese guy never gets old.

So basically, since I'll be abiding by the antithesis of what the majority of people here are doing (i.e. not combing. at all. ever.), there's not much advice or anything I could garner anymore, as far as hair goes. Haha. I do still like this place though and I'm not "leaving" or anything dramatic like that. I learned a lot about how to grow hair and take care of it, and I'm really thankful that such a community exists, because it helps out so many people.

Although, my mother does want my to have it pressed before it happens because she just wants to see what it will look like. Personally, I don't care much for that sort of thing (especially since it's been two years), but it's not like she's telling me I can't draw anymore. It'll only hold for what, a week tops?

Anyway, if I do end up getting it pressed then I'd like to post the pictures onto here.

Nera
October 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
(: Yaay for dreads, i'm also considering it! I'm very curious about how they will form and what they will look like, so updates are appreciated(:

NickalNack
October 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Me too, I'm pretty excited. Dreads look soo different on everybody. It's such a strange and interesting thing. There's a lot of stigma among the "natties" (I think that's what it's called) against salon or self-maintained dreads. Personally, I think that's silly. We live one life. Let people do what they want (except wax. never ever wax). I just want to know what it's like to free-form just to see.

Kyaatje
October 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
well with my slippery hair I can't grow them naturally (didn't comb for 6 months and except for the split ends tangling up a bit no dreads what so ever !) That is why I had fakies but that is to much trouble :(
Now I don't mind anymore I came to terms with my hair :)

Just let it dread and enjoy (and post pic's off course :D) I do like dreads

pennyroyal
October 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I adore dreadlocks (& i have had them before but sadly for only about 6 months :() & i actually was thinking about doing the same thing recently. I started a thread about it but then i decided not to do it at this point in time. I have always loved dreadies & i have wanted them since i was very young but my scalp is super sensitive & reacts badly to them. :mad:
I am looking very forward to seeing your journey! Good luck!

Ludde
November 28th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Love to see how your hairjourney will develop. Pictures now and then, perhaps, maybe, please? :)

luxepiggy
November 28th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Oh, I second the request for progress updates! I've *always* been curious about dreads and how people get them, especially since my hair's so stick-straight (^(oo)^)v

Pierre
November 28th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I think you have decided well. My beard is 4a and naturally forms two dreads, and I like it just as much as my soft curly-wurlies.

DARKMARTIAN
November 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
. Ive thought long and hard about dreading my hair.....yet have so far decided against it. Im also curious as to how dreads take to various hair types. But like the others here....I too am curious as far as progress pics.

Best Wishes to ya...:)

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I love dreads! Can you dread strait hair?

Ludde
December 11th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Mine is shiny straight and yet knot on its own very fast and very firmly.

NickalNack
December 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
How things change in a couple of months. *sigh* h-heh... heh heh. Well uh, basically I decided that maybe dreads aren't the way to go for me right now. After a lot (a LOT) of serious thinking about it, I've realized that I'm probably not emotionally ready for them yet. I just feel like I'm a disappointment for changing my mind. Like I'm letting you guys down. I've just had a change in perspective. For myself, I think that right now I would rather have the loose 4a hair. I still love the look of dreads, but deep down I don't think I can go through with something so permanent without knowing absolutely that it's what I want.

>_O Thawry guyz.

Princess89
December 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
What you decide is the right deicision :)

You could always find a wig with dreadlocks (if they exist) and wear that for some time to see if you REALLY want them, but then you can go back to your hair if your don't :cheese::D

DreadfulWoman
December 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Ah, I'm sorry you've changed your mind. You don't need to feel like you're letting anyone down, though. :flower: You are wise to see dreads as a very permanent decision, and not to be taken lightly. If you are not absolutely certain that it's what you want, you shouldn't do it.

Khiwanean
December 17th, 2010, 12:40 AM
You're not a disappointment at all! Dreads aren't something you should just jump into if you don't feel you're ready.

Have you looked into dread falls? This site (http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/index.html) show how to make them and put them in (though it calls them 'synthetic dreads'). That way you aren't stuck with dreads if you decide you don't like them and you can just wear them when you're in the mood.

tinti
December 17th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Yays for going natural! Love dreads :) Good luck!

Ludde
December 17th, 2010, 04:35 AM
It is difficult to know what to expect unless you try it or do some serious thinking about it - which you have. You are most certainly not letting anyone down by changing your mind. Respect! :)

mrs_coffee
December 17th, 2010, 04:40 AM
It's good that you thought it through instead of just diving into something that you can't really change your mind about once you've done it. You know yourself best, so good for you making a well-thought out decision.