PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to dye my hair one and a half month after an infection?

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I have recently had a inaction in the skin of my scalp. I was terrified for my hair but I did not loose any hair thank the heavens. But it got pretty bad with a wound opening up that bled enough to mat the hair around it with blood. Well I went to the doctors and got some stinky s*** to have in my hair and now the rash is all gone. No wound no rash all is fine. The rash is a type of rash I normally get other places on my body due to allergic.

Now anyway it is time for me to dye my hair again as I am rapidly turning blond again as my roots are showing. I was wondering if it is safe to dye my hair so soon after the infection or if I should let the scalp clam down for a month or two before applying harsh chemicals to it? I have already waited for one and a half month or so, and I have a inch and a half of blond showing and I am getting tired of that and want to jet black back. But I do not want to damage my hair.

aenflex
October 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't...but that's just me. If I were prone to skin allergic reactions I would have to find another way to color my hair or just not. To me it's not worth the risk of hair falling out :( GL!

ktani
October 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Check with your doctor to make sure. A professional, medical opinion is what you need on this, in my opinion.

Harriet
October 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
You could do a patch test and see how that goes?

Babyfine
October 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I agree with ktani -I would check with your doctor first-preferably the one who treated your infection.

Anje
October 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Seconding the advice to check with the doctor and do a patch test before you put anything like dye on your head.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
You might try natural alternatives (henna & indigo applied on a row produces black as i see on others) but still you might need to ask your doc.

I think you should stay clear from other harsh chemicals :(

estherbeth
October 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
If you tend toward allergic reactions that severe anywhere on your body, it doesn't seem too wise to keep applying chemical dyes. Especially if you're risking an infection flaring up again that badly.

Roscata
October 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
If you had an allergic reaction to a chemical dye then the best idea could be to try henna/indigo on your hair.

If I were you I'd do a patch test first before doing the whole head (no matter what you are going to use) just to make sure it is safe.

Good luck!

ravenreed
October 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Did the problem happen close after the last time you dyed your hair? If so, it might be from the hair dye you may now be too sensitive to use them. Talk to a dermatologist if you can, before you dye.

angelfell
October 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
If you use a chemical dye on your hair normally, and have not had a reaction (so the allergic reaction you had was from something else), then it should be okay. Be wary if you're switching dye brands from the norm though. But yes, before you go ahead and dye again or touch up your roots, make sure you talk to your doctor to make sure it's okay to do that over your healed infection.

pepperminttea
October 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Check with your doctor to make sure. A professional, medical opinion is what you need on this, in my opinion.

This. Box dyes are chock-full of things which a sensitive scalp could have a really nasty reaction to, especially one recovering from a reaction that bad.

LouLaLa
October 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I wouldnt risk it if I were you. Ask the doctor.

If it were me Id give it three months are least just to make sure I was in good health. I know that sounds hard (re-growth etc) but when you see pictures of people whose faces have indeed swollen like balloons it seems a major risk. Dye can be dangerous anyway.

And also lots of patch tests.

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
First of all thank you all for replying to me. First of all I am not prone to skin reactions as in products I use. I have food allergies and when I am not careful with what I eat I get such sores on my body. I very seldom get it in my scalp, usually I get it on my breasts, thighs and feet, this time I got it in the scalp, it is not a reaction to the dye. I have dyed my hair for years and never had a reaction to it.

However for a few months after a bad rash, the skin that where affected will be more sensitive as it is still healing even if it looks okey. My doctor say it is fine as long as the scalp is healed, however I am still afraid for my hair.

The reaction did not come close to the time I last dyed my hair. It came because I had a very depressive period and ate bucket fulls of chocolate ice cream. I am allergic to both chocolate, white sugar and milk so it is about the worst thing I can eat. I hover expected sores on my breasts and feet, not my scalp and that very seldom happens. I have been in a panic since then and hardly touched anything with sugar in it for fear the infection will come back if I do.

My skin do not react to dye, it was not the cause of the infection, however I do not want to start reacting to dye either, so I am thinking I should perhaps wait until my skin have calmed completely down before applying anything harsh.

Also right now my hair do not look it's best anyway as I am in the process of growing my bangs, for a few months until they can join the rest of the hair they will be a pain so a little blond will not make that much of a difference until my bangs grow long enough to blend into the rest of the longer hair. I am thinking that once the bangs reach my neck they will start to blend into the rest and not be so noticeable.