PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to brush hair after applying oil?

keepmyhair
October 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I am new to the forum, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I have heard wet hair should not be brushed. However, is it ok to brush hair after applying some oil? My hair does feel a bit heavy after oil (as compared to when it's dry), so was wondering if it would cause any breakage. I am keen to brush because my scalp itches less that way.

Thanks for the help.

Cholera
October 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I like to brush or comb after I've oiled; I think it distributes the oil more evenly. The oil should actually help prevent some mechanical damage.

ChloeDharma
October 12th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I like to brush or comb after I've oiled; I think it distributes the oil more evenly. The oil should actually help prevent some mechanical damage.

I agree, i always brush after oiling provided the oil was applied to dry hair.

lindaton
October 12th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I brush after oiling.

Chestershire
October 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I comb after oiling :'3

Anje
October 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Go for it!

FWIW, the "no brushing when wet" rule really is meant for boar bristle brushes. A brush that's like a couple wide-tooth combs together shouldn't be a problem on (water) wet hair, assuming it doesn't tend to eat your hair, in which case you probably shouldn't use it at all. And always, always brush and comb gently.

cubedcoley
October 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I bought a soft boar bristle brush from Sally's about a month ago, and I oil lightly after washes (about 3 times per week) as well as once a week deep oil treatment overnight with coconut oil <3 as it is my hair's favorite! The soft brush feels wonderful for distributing the lighter oils and it does not pull on my hair or make it feel like I am damaging it. I am not an NW/SO girl, but I think it is the same principle behind using the BBB: helps distribute the good stuff the way the NW/SO technique does. :thumbsup: happy oiling!!

keepmyhair
October 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful tips.

I am a guy who is trying to grow his hair... and unfortunately I know very little about how to care for my hair.

I think I have already damaged my hair considerably some months back, when I gelled them while wet, and then used a small comb to comb them back.

I think I lost some hair at places where I used to pull them back from. A little question ... does combing back wet hair cause breakage? Is hair that is pulled out due to incorrect combing lost forever, or is there any chance that it might regrow?

Thanks again for the help.

Sooze
October 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hello keepmyhair. Welcome to the forum from another noobie.

A lot depends on age, hormones, genetics and general health when looking at hair loss. An average hair follicle will produce x amount of hairs in its lifetime.

Your hair generally goes through a cyclical stage of growth, rest and then shedding naturally. As you get older, the growth process slows down but the shedding process may speed up.

Normal shedding varies, but seems to be in the region of 50 or so hairs a day (although I think that seems a lot - I think I shed a lot, and always seem to lose about 20 to 30 in the plughole - I wash my hair 3 times a week, if that helps you to guage?)

I always try not to fiddle too much with the areas where I've lost hair - I have hair that is thinning with age (a hormonal thing) and had a disasterous hair dye incident a few months back which didn't help - the resultant skin allergy made me scratch at the skin frequently, and that has weakened the re-growth.

However, if you're young, eat a healthy diet or take a good vitamin supplement, there's a good chance the lost hair will re-grow.

I've heard coconut oil is good for hair strength, and certainly my hair likes it. Many members use it and say the same thing. Some studies also suggest it helps hair re-growth. Sea kelp is also rumoured to help hair growth, but I don't know if it's true or an urban myth, and haven't tried them myself. People with thyroid problems need to be careful if considering sea kelp supplements, as they can be problematic to existing thyroid difficulties.

I hope that helps - am sure there'll be others who can advise better and more comprehensively than me, but I wouldn't give up hope just yet. ((hug))

If you try not to pull at the area affected, and to treat it gently, there's a good chance the hair may regrow.

Sooze
October 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Oh - and wanted to add - if you want hair care advice, this is the place to be - it has tips, help and support in abundance!

Vermelha
October 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful tips.

I am a guy who is trying to grow his hair... and unfortunately I know very little about how to care for my hair.

I think I have already damaged my hair considerably some months back, when I gelled them while wet, and then used a small comb to comb them back.

I think I lost some hair at places where I used to pull them back from. A little question ... does combing back wet hair cause breakage? Is hair that is pulled out due to incorrect combing lost forever, or is there any chance that it might regrow?

Thanks again for the help.

Yes, combing back hair, while wet, repetitively, can cause hair to recede and break, depending on your hair's strength. Some people with coarser hair can get away with it. Perhaps, try, detangling the hair in the shower with conditioner (which is more gentle) and your fingers and a wide-tooth comb instead, then applying gel, would be an option.

And yes, the hair will grow back. Mostly, the hair that comes out is shed hair that was going to fall out anyway. Try another styling option and give it some months for hair to thicken up again.

keepmyhair
October 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hello Sooze, Thank you for giving me hope and advise.

I will use coconut oil more frequently, and also will try being more gentle with my hair.

I also read somewhere that massaging the scalp helps, as does exercise. So will try those too.

I guess I shed more than 50 hair a day. Not sure if I shed as much earlier, but then my hair used to be much shorter, so they probably went unnoticed.

Hoping your hair dye incident has eased up now and you soon enjoy growth in those areas.

Vermelha, thanks for your suggestions. Will try a different style and give relief to the affected area. Being a guy, not sure if I have too many options for styles though...

BrightEyes7
October 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I brush after oiling my wet hair. The oil provides slipperyness and I always detangle real good with a comb before oiling. I haven't had any extreme breakage with it so far.

The key is to always be gentle.

Sooze
October 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
You might be surprised at how little you shed actually - I used to think I shed more than I do: bear in mind that I still think I shed "lots" because of course - as you'll appreciate - every hair counts. :agree:

It was only went I decided to henna my hair instead of risking another nasty colouring episode that I realised exactly how much/little I actually shed (I gathered shed hair from the plughole to carry out strand tests - hope I don't sound like I'm too obsessed about all of this, lol!) :D It wasn't as much as I thought, and you may find the same.

And gentle scalp massage does help to stimulate the blood flow to the scalp which can help with hair growth, so that's a very good idea.

LouLaLa
October 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Yes I brush after, but I have a special brush I use for this purpose so I dont grease my hair up unintentionally!

I belive it gets to the ends alot better.

Anje
October 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "combing hair back".

Do you mean "backcombing" (aka teasing) where you grab the ends of hair and pull a comb from the ends toward the roots? That's a big no-no, and really rough on hair, though it only really hurts the follicles if you're doing a lot of tugging and pulling during the process or while trying to detangle again afterward.
Or do you mean just brushing hair back from the forehead toward the back of your head? That shouldn't do any harm at all, unless you then fasten it really tightly, or end up yanking on it roughly. Combing it like that with dried gel might be a bit damaging, sine the hairs could be stuck together, though.

In any case, hair that is inadvertantly yanked out from the roots can regrow, but I think it varies from person to person and can take a while. Repeatedly pulling hairs out will eventually cause them to not all come back, though, as folks who have been waxing for a long time will confirm.

Carolyn
October 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I like to brush after oiling. I feel it helps distribute the oil. I use a MP Mixed Popular.

FrannyG
October 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I oil my hair when it's damp so I don't brush or comb it then, but when I do my nightly light oiling, I do brush it with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oil.

You've already received some good advice about combing your hair straight back. Yes, combing wet hair, especially with the gel, for the reasons you've already been given.

By the way, even shedding 100 hairs in a day is considered to be completely normal for most people.

Don't forget too, that as your hair grows longer, the clump of shed hair that you comb or brush out looks much bigger than when your hair was shorter, so it may look as though you're shedding more than you are.

Welcome to LHC, and don't forget to fill out your profile, so we know what your hair type is. :waving:

Go for it!

FWIW, the "no brushing when wet" rule really is meant for boar bristle brushes. A brush that's like a couple wide-tooth combs together shouldn't be a problem on (water) wet hair, assuming it doesn't tend to eat your hair, in which case you probably shouldn't use it at all. And always, always brush and comb gently.

I guess it depends on one's hair type and its condition. I can't comb my hair when wet. I do get tangles, so I have to wait until my hair is slightly damp, then finger comb gently until the tangles are gone and then I can use a wide-toothed comb.