PDA

View Full Version : Yay! Just got a hair compliment!

akuamoonmaui
October 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
One of my employer's friends comes and goes quite regularly and this morning he said my hair was beautiful! :happydance: He said he hadn't seen it before (because I usually wear it up).

It was out of the blue and was genuine, I almost didn't know how to respond..... (of course I said 'thank you' and that I had about 6 more inches to go)!

Sooo.... how do you respond when people compliment your hair?

Chamomile betty
October 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
That's so nice.
I always say 'Thank you'. You can tell if someone wants to discuss hair styles, products, and routines by how they ask. Then I may talk about those things to the person asking.

LocustSpawning
October 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I finally feel as though my dedication is paying off when I get compliments, I love it! Only happens when I wear my hair down, but it's nice to know that some people notice.

Karala
October 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I never get any hair compliments (except from my boyfriend :] ), but I guess wearing it up all the time doesn't help. I long for the day when I decide it's long enough and restored enough (still have quite a lot of damage to grow out) to flaunt and wear down more often, and then hopefully, maybe people will notice. (Yeah, I'm vain... but it's ok :D)

jojo
October 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I just smile and say thank you.

Though today i walked into work with a braid and got a frosty reception of " WHAT is that in your hair?" " its called a plait" (as we call them in the UK) and then she sniggered. Quite rich considering she has short, spiked, peroxided dried hair! but this particular co-worker never says anything nice to me anyway!

At least you had a nice and well deserved compliment x

vamq
October 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I always feel really awkward when people compliment me about my hair, especially if it comes from people I don't know at all.
I don't know why, I just never feel like I deserve it, because I have my own, highly perfectionistic standards, which I haven't met yet.
It's not just with haircompliments, it's with all compliments.

So I mostly turn all red, squeeze out a 'thank you', and then there's this awkward silence.:)

akuamoonmaui
October 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Karala:
I never get any hair compliments (except from my boyfriend :] )

Well, I think your hair is very pretty! I don't see any damage and it looks thick and healthy. I can only wish I could have that color red!! Sounds like you have a good boyfriend, too!

jojo:
Though today i walked into work with a braid and got a frosty reception of " WHAT is that in your hair?" " its called a plait" (as we call them in the UK) and then she sniggered. Quite rich considering she has short, spiked, peroxided dried hair! but this particular co-worker never says anything nice to me anyway!

Well, that confirms my opinion that women with THAT style of hair are typically brash and unapproachable. I'd be scared if she did say something nice, she might want you to kick small animals with her or something.....

I always feel really awkward when people compliment me about my hair, especially if it comes from people I don't know at all.

I know how you feel! That's why I posted this! I put time and effort into keeping my hair healthy so I'm proud of it, but the last thing I want to do is come across as vain or negatively me-oriented (genetics is a big part of it too, that I can't take credit for! lol!) I also don't want to take the compliment with a "Oh, this ol' thing...?" approach, either.

I think it's easier to accept a compliment from women, because you can segway into products, etc. When it's a man complimenting you, it's a different beast altogether.

GrowingGlory
October 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I can't believe that your coworker didn't know what a plait was. Perhaps she was jealous of your beautiful, long hair?

Luckysock
October 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I can't believe that your coworker didn't know what a plait was. Perhaps she was jealous of your beautiful, long hair?

agreed - she sounds like a pretty miserable lady :S

I got a nice compliment on Saturday when I was at a wedding. I wore my hair down cause it was a special occasion. A woman came up to me at the end of the night and told me that she had been admiring my hair, and that she was so happy that I was all dressed up, but wore my hair down. lol it was kind of funny to me, because it sounded like she would assume that I would wear an updo for a special occasion, but for me, with hair nearly at waist I have to wear updo's every day, and only wear it down for special days like saturday lol.

tinti
October 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Aw, Congratulations! I bet that felt nice :D I'm looking forward to the day that my hair is long enough that it gets compliments. I'm allways shy when it comes to attention but when it's something I've "worked" for, it's "ok" :)

Hana212
October 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
My boyfriend gave me a hair compliment last night.. I've been following my new LHC hair care routine for about 2 weeks now.. and I wore my hair out last night to which he said - Wow babe your hair is so shiny and soft! It looks like Jennifer Aniston's hair from the back!
yipee...
xxx

thart
October 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Awww awesome. I love hair compliments. I got one the other day at the store. I had my hair in a small ponytail for the first time and the cashier said its nice to see a guy who can take care of his hair. It felt awesome.

FoxRain
October 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
People rarely talk about my hair and when they do it's usually: "Wow, your hair is so freakishly thin. Is it supposed to be like that? Are you sick".
Can't wait until someone compliments it.

Xandergrammy
October 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Aren't compliments lovely? Congratulations! When someone compliments my hair I smile hugely and of course say "thank you".

Xandergrammy
October 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I just smile and say thank you.

At least you had a nice and well deserved compliment x

Ewww.... I can't believe the absolute rudeness of some people!!! I think your hair is awesome, jojo! I find that the people who make the most negative comments about my hair are the ones with the short, spiked, multi-dyed and peroxided hair.

Xandergrammy
October 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
People rarely talk about my hair and when they do it's usually: "Wow, your hair is so freakishly thin. Is it supposed to be like that? Are you sick".
Can't wait until someone compliments it.

Again, I can't believe the incredible rudeness of some people. I know for a fact that thin hair can be quite beautiful. Your time for compliments will come, my dear. :flowers:

Dragon
October 12th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Congrats on the compliment.

FoxRain
October 12th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Again, I can't believe the incredible rudeness of some people. I know for a fact that thin hair can be quite beautiful. Your time for compliments will come, my dear. :flowers:

Thank you :) You have amazing hair by the way :D

Karala
October 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Karala:

Well, I think your hair is very pretty! I don't see any damage and it looks thick and healthy. I can only wish I could have that color red!! Sounds like you have a good boyfriend, too!

Thanks! Well, it looks okay right after I've washed it, like when my avatar picture was taken, but unfortunately that doesn't last so long. But I shouldn't be complaining, as it's already in better condition then it's been in a long time, thanks to everything I've learned on this board. And yes, I also think I do have a good boyfriend :) (I need to remember that, lol) As for the color red (thanks henna ^^), it doesn't look quite as red indoors (see siggy pic) but as much as I've wanted BRIGHT RED hair all my life I've come to realize I couldn't have that AND healthy hair, and I've finally got myself to appreciate the dimmer shade of red anyway.

Karala
October 12th, 2010, 05:49 AM
and of course, your hair does look beautiful by the way! I would love to have your wave pattern :roll:

WaitingSoLong
October 12th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I don't know why, I just never feel like I deserve it, because I have my own, highly perfectionistic standards, which I haven't met yet.
It's not just with haircompliments, it's with all compliments.
So I mostly turn all red, squeeze out a 'thank you', and then there's this awkward silence.:)

DITTO. I have trouble accepting compliments. My first reaction is to burn them on the stake "oh thanks, but it's much worse than it looks" or "oh that was sweet but if you knew how....". Someone finally told me to shut up and accept the compliments. And they are right, I was being rude. So now I just say thank you. I always make sure I stop and look them in the eye. These are strangers I am referring to, my family is different. Actually, I rarely get compliments from my family. Hmm...

I got a nice compliment the other day. A lady I was walking by said "you have beautiful hair" I turned, looked at her and said thank you but then she said "but you already know that, don't you". I had no clue how to respond. So I just looked at her a second and continued walking. How do you reply to that?

Karala:
I think it's easier to accept a compliment from women, because you can segway into products, etc. When it's a man complimenting you, it's a different beast altogether.

I have RARELY been complimented by men. I can recall once, I am racking my brain for another time...and I just cannot think of one. I could theorize as to why (men don't like my hair? They see my wedding ring and think it will sound like flirting?) It is almost always women and children. And it is usually older women, now that I am thinking it through. I think I look intimidating to those my age or younger. Well, I have been told...

she would assume that I would wear an updo for a special occasion, but for me, with hair nearly at waist I have to wear updo's every day, and only wear it down for special days

I am the same way. I only wear my hair down for special occasions or when I am on vacation.

sophiamarie
October 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM
How nice to receive such a genuine compliment, and very well deserved! I think saying "thank-you" is always appropriate.

akuamoonmaui
October 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks all!:grouphug: It's nice to be in such good company of women with beautiful hair and equally beautiful hearts!