PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing my hair?

TeddyK
October 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
So I have been thinking of dying my hair black. I have always wanted black hair for some reason and lately I have been thinking of getting it colored because it also needs a trim. What do you all think? You can visit my profile for a picture.

Eire
October 11th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Are you planning on using chemical dye? Your hair looks healthy so it might hold up well, but I've always found that chemical dye damages my hair, drying it out. Also, black is hard to come back from, so if you don't like it you're stuck unless you want to further damage it by bleaching it out.

I might use a semipermanent dye. That way it washes out after a while if you don't like it, and I think semipermanent dyes are less damaging to hair. I've used them before without experiencing much drying. If you love the color you could look at a 2 step henna/indigo process to get a black color that is very permanent and is actually good for your hair. If you don't like the color, it'll be gone and your hair won't be much the worse for it.

aenflex
October 11th, 2010, 01:07 PM
First time I would use Manic Panic or some other semi/demi permanent. Just in case you don't like it :)

Capybara
October 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I hear you - always wanted to dye my hair black, never done it.

Have you thought of photoshopping a picture of you to change your haircolour to black, to see if you'd like it IRL?

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Black hair looks good on a lot of people, but for some skin tones, it can wash you out. That's not to say if you're pale it will; you can be tan and still look washed out. Honestly, since Halloween is coming around.. go into a store and see if you can try on a black wig. There's a fine line between natural black and raven black (which has the blue shine) so make sure you try on the color you actually want. If it looks good.. try a semi-permanent dye first, as it will wash out in about 28 washes. If you still like it? Go permanent :D!

ETA: I have semi-permanent dyed black hair. Garnier Fructis Herbashine is a semi-perm chemical dye that I have found left my hair even silkier than before.

TeddyK
October 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody who commented. I decided that I am going to dye it. I have had it black before, but when it was short so not quite the same, but even my wife was ok with it. I will post a picture when I do it. thanks again

Anje
October 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM
If you use a standard commercial dye, I'd suggest that you patch-test it. Many of those dyes are just loaded with PPD, which a lot of people are allergic to. Make sure you aren't before covering your head with the stuff!

I'll add a vote for using a semi-permanent dye. (Some of these also have PPD = para-phenylenediamine = p-phenylenediamine, so read the ingredients!) That way, if you get sick of it, it will eventually come out, instead of you needing to re-color it to match your hair later.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
First time I would use Manic Panic or some other semi/demi permanent. Just in case you don't like it :)

not DEMI. Get a SEMI-permanent color that clearly states it washes away after 5-10 washes. DEMI is close to permanent. Believe me. (I'm trying to get rid of it now!)

jojo
October 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Id go for a semi but just wanted to say your hair is just perfect

BrightEyes7
October 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Just remember that once you dye it your pretty much stuck dying it.

Or you can have the dreaded light roots to grow out or cut all your hair off!!

If you're sure you want black hair for a long time, go for it!

BelleBot
October 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'll also recommend trying on a black wig first just to see if it suits your skin tone. Also I wouldn't bother with "permanent" box dyes. They very rarely stay true black for much longer than 6 weeks and then they just look murky. Best bet is to go for a semi such as Manic Panic which doesn't damage your hair. Though it can take a while to completely fade/wash out if you don't like it.