PDA

View Full Version : I just keep going back...

aenflex
October 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I know I might regret it, I've tried for a long time to acclimate to poo bars. I gave it my best with Lush and even better with CV bars, but my hair never seemed to adjust and be the hair I wanted when I was using them.
But I just keep going back it seems, every few years trying again. Today I just ordered samples from CV of Buttery Conditioner Shampoo Bar, Soapnuts & Sunflower ORGANIC Shampoo and Coconut Cream Shea Soap, which I will use in my hair as well. Ahh, if all else fails I will just use them as soap as I've done before with the CV bars. Really is a wonderful company and lovely soap. We shall see.
Actually getting kind of excited about it. :cheese:

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Good luck :) I hope these work for you like you want them to! And, if all else fails, at least you have another use for them :p. I still use regular ol' shampoo and conditioner so I can't comment on the brand and all but the types you got sound delicious XD.

Kathie
October 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
The Buttery Conditioner Shampoo Bar is a, relatively, new one of theres. I've heard really good things about it!! Good luck.

Kat
October 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Good luck! I can't get behind shampoo bars...never could figure out how to get enough lather, and the idea of just rubbing it on my head like I've read you're supposed to has me cringing at the thought of the tangles that'd make! Let us know how it goes this time around, lol.

TinaDenali
October 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Good luck! I can't get behind shampoo bars...never could figure out how to get enough lather, and the idea of just rubbing it on my head like I've read you're supposed to has me cringing at the thought of the tangles that'd make! Let us know how it goes this time around, lol.

The LUSH bars lather quite a bit. And you don't rub it around your head. With the LUSH bars, all you have to do it run it down the center of your hair and once down each side. No rubbing around. They have worked wonders for my hair. I've been following that up with their Jungle solid conditioner and my hair has been feeling and looking fantastic.

Kyaatje
October 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think you should make sure to not compare solid shampoo from lush with a soap shampoo bar from cv for instance.
Lush is a regular sls shampoo but in solid form so you use it as TinaDenali described : you put 3 stripes in your hair lather up and rince
A soap shampoo bar : you need more of the soap to make a lather and it feels better when you lather up twice but very important is to follow with an acid rince : either avc or lemon. Soap can leave your hair feeling coated and an acid rince will help balance the ph of your head and help close your cuticles.

If Lush shampoo feels like it leaves your hair coars and hard, wait till it is dry to feel whether it feels still coars. If your regular shampoo contains silicones and your used to feel your hair that way it takes some time to get used to another feel

hth

SimplyViki
October 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I never noticed any real adjustment period with LUSH bars. :shrug: They're just regular, run-of-the-mill sulfate shampoo in bar form. I don't rub them on my head, I lather them in my hands and apply the lather to my head. It gives me the same results as a liquid shampoo.

CV bars, on the other hand, I never could get used to. They're soap based, and they leave what I can only compare to soap scum all over my hair. Using a soap based shampoo makes me real tempted to hack all of my hair off because it ends up feeling so disgusting and I can't even get a comb through it. And yes, that was with an ACV rinse.

aenflex
October 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah I know not to compare the two. Actually the Lush bars to me were almost exactly like a bottle SLS shampoo, just solid. I figured if I was going to use SLS or betaines, I might as well save the money and go to the drugstore :)
The CV bars were more like a lifestyle change for my hair. I wasn't overall happy with them simply because my hair was not as soft and manageble as it is using SLS and regular conditioner.
No matter which CV bar I use, I've learned from the best and I always make a smoothie with it rather than running the bar down my hair. I like my lather too much :)
Thanks all for the well wishes. I know she just reopened today so I imagine it will be a long while before I see my poos :(

Gabriel
October 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I've never tried CV bars but would like to try the Buttery Conditioner one some day soon.

If you try them and they don't work out again for you maybe a different company would work out for you.

I usually use Sweet Creek Herb Shampoo (http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetcreekherbs) bars and love them lots. The Chamomile Ylang Ylang is my favorite and is great with my scalp and hair. I totally recommend trying some samples from here if you're able. I will definitely buy again and again from SCH.

I am currently working through a sample from Henna Sooq, Berhempsu (http://www.hennasooq.com/usa-store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=176) and like it a lot as well. I can recommend trying a sample (or two!) from them as well and will buy a full size bar next time I order henna.

aenflex
October 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Gabriel - maybe I will give them a try. I like the idea of a chamomile and ylang-ylang scent!

jojo
October 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I struggled at first to adjust to poo bars but found clarfying my hair first really helped and of course vinegar rinses help too.

Anje
October 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I hear you. I really, really want shampoo bars to work for me.

They don't, at least not alone. My hair wants conditioner, and CO works beautifully, so I really have no need to use the shampoo bar in the first place. Plus, my scalp is reactive, and even shampoo bars encourage it to grease up faster.

Amraann
October 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
If the bars are not working for you then I don't see it as a big deal.

Just switch to what does work.

Spike
October 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
This may be a really stoooooopid question–but why shampoo bars over conventional ‘poo? Especially if you’re having difficulty with them? What’s the appeal whereby hope triumphs over experience?:confused::confused::confused:

Truly want to know–not trolling/flaming/being nasty. I was lucky enough to find my way to a routine that pleases me and my hair relatively quickly. I understand this isn’t universal.

(Like I have room to talk about weird stuff on your hair–I use a Dairy Whip clone to wash, conventional condish, and castor oil on my scalp daily.)

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Basically I was bored. I am totally happy with my Suave Naturals Rosemary Mint poo! Love it so much I bought an uber-bottle that's like a gallon :) Spike I wasn't offended at all my friend!! :)
I just get bored and like to change things up a bit without drastic measures. But yes, in the past the CV bars have not been what I wanted for my hair. Sigh. I still love them as soap, and I only ordered sample sizes, so it will not be a waste of money, at least. Plus I love the company, love love love them!
I do try and lower my waste as well, which is partially why I get bigger bottles rather than small. Using a bar of anything versus a bottle is what I want...

Spike
October 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Ah–so it’s partially a green thing. I can get behind that.

At the risk of sounding like a DW commercial, I love the stuff because it works well for me–nice lather, good cleaning, and the plastic tubs are recyclable in my community. Further, it’s become my shampoo, body wash, and shaving cream which really cuts down on the clutter in the shower and the empty containers in the trash.

Moonflowersoaps.com is the vendor, if you want to check it out. No affiliation, just a fan.

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I know I've heard of DW before but also heard they stopped making it? You say you are using a clone?? Hmm...I will take a peek at the site you recommened, as well as the other recommendations. I always liked the sound of the DW :)

Amraann
October 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
AHHH.. Now I get it!

Less waste makes since to me.

Hey Spike? How do you use the castor oil?

(sorry for off topic but curious)

Thanks!

picklepie
October 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
So I also have problems with 'poo bars leaving my hair lank (even with the ACV rinse).... and I keep using them anyway. Even bought s & c in bottles recently, but can't bring myself to use them. I really want a bar to work due to the packaging thing. CO was ridiculous-- so many bottles. But my hair loved it!

I have really fine but thick, curly, short hair. 'Poo bars straighten my hair and it kind of sticks to my head more-- usually it's a large mass of curls (on CO routine). Any thoughts on how to get less heaviness with the shampoo bars? I'm so glad you guys are around to ask!

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Well my only suggestion is to make a smoothie. I just cut a little chunk off the bar and mix it with some hot water to make a smoothie-consistnency liquid. I find I tend to use less product than I would with just rubbing the bar on my hair...I could be way off base though, as I've never had sucess. Maybe it's our coarse hair?? I don't know...sigh...

aenflex
October 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM
My CV bars had been sitting in my mailbox for a week! What a dolt!!! So I got them out today on lunch and they are awating me in my bathroom. Too bad I just washed this morning. When I was using them some years ago my BF really liked washing his very picky scalp with them, so he's pretty happy too. Right now he washes with grapeseed oil so this should help save some money too.
But...duh duh duh....I also ordered some Reincarnate from Lush. Some for me and for my mother. She was wanting a Henna shampoo and lives in a small town without a car so getting it is near impossible. So I had to get myself a bar too, and honestly I am more excited about that than the CV bars. Only because Lush uses SLS or something like it in most of their poo bars, and my hair needs that. The CV bars are a complete gamble with my hair, so we shall see.