PDA

View Full Version : Cones as last resort?

Tangles
May 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
So every now and then, usually in humid or rainy weather, my hair poofs up so horribly that I have no choice but to use cones in it. I know that my hair doesn't like cones, but sometimes it seems there's no other option, especially since my hair doesn't have length to weigh it down. I make sure to use a good shampoo the day after using cones though. Is this okay?

Edit: I ended up doing a full wash with conditioner only today. My hair just wasn't cooperating at all, and the cones seemed to worsen the problem. It was second day hair, which I continue to battle with. I still haven't come up with a routine to keep my hair looking good on Day 2.

magicatt
May 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Honestly, anything that works for you and your hair is fine. :)

Mary <><
May 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
According to the stats in your profile, we are almost hair twins! I very rarely use cones, but sometimes they are necessary for me -- such as in the rain or humid weather. Clarifying afterwards is very beneficial, but in my opinion there are far worse things you could be doing to your hair than the occasional cone use. That said, try misting and or ponytails to combat poofy hair. Works well for me! HTH! :)

FrannyG
May 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm with Magicatt--I say go with whatever works at each particular length or time of year.

Riot Crrl
May 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Agree with Mary, I don't know if you regularly use sulfates, but after cone use it's necessary to get them off.

<She>
May 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Sure it's okay, you could try and if you don't like the results you get, you can always wash them off. Or wear it in a protective updo untill the next wash.

Loviatar
May 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Cones are not evil, even if your hair doesnt like them most of the time it can adjust. Before I chemically coloured, my hair would not tolerate cones, and now it drinks them up.

I find different cones produce different effects. My hair isnt fond of amodimethicone, but dimethicone and cyclopentasiloxane do just fine at the moment. You could try experimenting and seeing which (if any) cones work better for you, such as perhaps the more water-soluble ones.

Tangles
May 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Yep, amodimethicone is what doesn't work for me. The frizz-ease line works well however.

Curlsgirl
May 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It takes everyone a while to find a good routine, at least it has most of us. I went back and forth from cones to no cones for quite a while before settling on the no-cones. I found that as my hair gets longer the ends get more fragile and that the stuff needed to REMOVE the cones was what I didn't like, not necessarily the cones themselves. With no cones I have to wash much less often, use much less sulfate shampoo and can use all the no-cone conditioner I want without the worry of buildup and thus dry, crackly, tangled hair. When my hair was shorter and therefore puffier though I used cones, almost had to when I wore my hair down to avoid the dreaded pyramid hair! I say try different things (it's all fun!) and just go with how your hair reacts each time. May be good to keep a journal so you won't forget what worked and didn't if you aren't already. Happy growing!