PDA

View Full Version : Dust Bunnies in my Hair!

ilovelonghair
October 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Yes you're reading that right: no title for the misreading thread titles thread :D.

Since I moved to a house with carpets I have 'dust bunnies' in my hair. It causes major damage because there are knots that I can't get out due to hair tangled with dust.

Any tips?

Anje
October 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I struggle with this more when I oil my hair, but I get dust and cat fuzz in my length either way.

I know that dust is one of the things that made Spidermom switch from oils to silicone serums, because they don't attract dust as much. My hair gets dry about 2 days post-serum, so I don't like that option.

The best thing I've found to do is very carefully detangle hair, starting at the tips, with a BBB, when it's getting tangly from dust and lint. I haven't found any better tool for de-linting hair, ever.

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm going to go ahead and assume you wouldn't want to use a lint roller on your hair like your shirt :p! I'm not sure what you could use though.. but make sure you vacuum often to make sure you get the bunnies before they get your hair :o? Also, keeping it up in a bun or braid will make it harder for them to attach I'd imagine..

swivelhop
October 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM
This is why I finger comb or grab the wide comb every few hours. Just getting the lint out before an knot happens.

sibylla
October 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
When that happens to me I brush the lenght with a clean BBB.You can see the amount of dust that the BBB contains.I ca´t really understand those that only use a wide comb.They most walk around with very dusty tresses,,

Anje
October 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
When mine's all linty, detangling with a wide-tooth comb just doesn't work. The hair re-tangles in new configurations instantly. It behaves better immediately after BBB delintification, and wide tooth combs and fingers work fine until/unless the lint builds up again.

BTW, avoid chenille shirts if you have problems with hair and lint. Egad, that was awful!

Belisarius
October 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Take a shower put conditioner in your hair, get your wide wooden comb and get rid of them?

luxepiggy
October 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I too suggest additional vacuuming! Is the carpet very new? I must say I've never experienced this, despite living in a house with carpet for most of my life, perhaps because the carpets were older? (^(oo)^)v

EdG
October 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I find lint coming out of my hair whenever I untangle. I'm not sure if much can be done about it. Lint gets airborne and goes everywhere in my house.

Untangling before washing and washing less frequently may help. I think that the wash-dry cycle causes lint to wrap around the hairs, leading to tangles.
Ed

Anje
October 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Washing generally also works to get out fuzz, but I suggest the BBB because there are times when you don't want to wash. Hair isn't dirty, it's just linty.

Maybe vacuuming more will help, maybe not. I don't think I could get my cats to hold still enough to vacuum all the extra fluff they shed off them!

ilovelonghair
October 12th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I vacuum a lot. And the lint is not cat hair. Hope I can find my bristle brush, I have no idea where it is.

ktani
October 12th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I have never had a problem similar to yours but I have had lint in my hair mostly from fabrics other than carpet. I had a purple all cotton duvet cover years ago that shed lint something terrible. I would find purple lint everywhere. I finally got rid of it.

trillcat
October 12th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I brush more cat hair off of my head than my hair!
I use a paddle boars hair / synthetic brush to get that all out.
I vacuum a lot, (bed bugs, whole different issue) but the cat sleeps all around me and on me, so, dust bunny hair.

trillcat
October 12th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Washing generally also works to get out fuzz, but I suggest the BBB because there are times when you don't want to wash. Hair isn't dirty, it's just linty.

Maybe vacuuming more will help, maybe not. I don't think I could get my cats to hold still enough to vacuum all the extra fluff they shed off them!
If I tried to vacuum my cat I would have WAY bigger problems than cat fur in my hair. The EMT's would have a good laugh though.

ooo
October 12th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I know the dust bunny problem :mad:

btw, there are vacuum cleaners with different levels of suction. if you have one of those maybe your cat won't mind :p

trillcat
October 12th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I know the dust bunny problem :mad:

btw, there are vacuum cleaners with different levels of suction. if you have one of those maybe your cat won't mind :p

No, the vacuum and attachments are sent straight from Hell as far as the cat is concerned. I have a milder one, no dice. Oddly, the much louder steam cleaner she loves and wants to make friends with. I shoo her away so she wont get burned. I have given up trying to figure out cats. :D
EH, no I havent,.
:thread hijack off:

WaitingSoLong
October 12th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I have vacuumed my dog before, but then, we have conditioned him to accept lots of weird things. LOL. Cats? YIKES.

I have minor lint in my hair. I have to de-lint beore I S&D or I see lint and think it is a split or something. Mine does not seem to be problematic. I have 18 year old carpet and it is very broken down. I vacuum neurotically because of dog hair. Lint is just part of life. Some clothes are lint producers. Keeping my hair up really cuts down on it. If you like to wear your hair down all the time, then a BBB really is your best friend for lint.

ilovelonghair
October 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have never had a problem similar to yours but I have had lint in my hair mostly from fabrics other than carpet. I had a purple all cotton duvet cover years ago that shed lint something terrible. I would find purple lint everywhere. I finally got rid of it.

I had a jumper like that, one time I washed it and it started shedding insanely, I tossed it out and for weeks I kept seeing the rest dust, I could dust something off and within a day the rest dust would be back, it was as if it was floating in the air.

I am suspecting it is one of my dresses, so I'll just wear a bun.

faeflame
October 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I loooove flannel sheets in the winter but then I have to deal with the lint tangling up my hair. I just comb my hair out a lot more often. I agree with the other poster combing before washing gets the fluff out easier, if I forget and have to comb out the tangles and lint after washing it is a nightmare. The lint practically glues itself into my hair when washed. I tried a BBB but then after a month or so I can't scrub or clean out the dusties in it and have to buy a new one.....