PDA

View Full Version : Crushing on Darcy and a period 'do

Noortje
October 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I just finished watching a whole bunch of Jane Austen movies -don't judge, my hb is away for a couple of days, so girly movies ahoy! :D
The first time I watched the bbc's mini series Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth :crush:) I fell in love, and I'm glad to say, still am!:o
Ok, the 'do is more of a Jane Eyre, then a Lizzie, but still, Darcy looks a wee bit pleased, no?
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/marijkeve/ikendarcy.jpg

TinaDenali
October 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hehe!! That is SO CUTE!! You did a great job with that! I didn't even notice at first that it was you!

XcaliburGirl
October 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
:laugh:

That's awesome! :bowtome:

I love Colin Firth, too.

FrozenFlame22
October 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Not judging here! I'm in love with Edwardian and Regency period styles too, both hair and clothing! :crush:

AstrayStar
October 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
That's awesome :) Love Firth as Darcy too *sighs dreamily*

Raponsje
October 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Haha.. I love it. The updo is wonderful and you and Darcy look great together.

Capybara
October 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Oh that is too cute! :lol:

Noortje
October 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks you all! :blossom:
For me, Keira Knightly's fella doesn't really cut it in the more recent adaptation... Nothing beats Firth :D Although I can't say I'm swooning over him in other movies, only as Darcy.

TinaDenali: lol :p You're too kind! :toast:
Fortunately, Gimp is forgiving ;)

Chamomile betty
October 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM
You fit in perfect.
How dreamy :)

longhairtobe
October 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
oh my gosh! i am watching pride and prejudice right now as i type this! weird:cheese:

lundmir
October 12th, 2010, 12:43 AM
The updo is lovely and I love your creativity!

StarryNight
October 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Mmmmmm....Colin Firth.

Haha, I named my car Mr. Darcy. <3

Dani
October 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM
YOU are Awesome. This just made my morning, and makes me wants to read the books and see my movies again. :D

maria_asa
October 12th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Mmmm, Mr Darcy... Ooops drewling all over the keyboard... :o

I really like your updo as well, you fit right in there.

Octave
October 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Ohhh lovely...both Darcy and your hairstyle ♥

Oh and if you haven't watched it already, do see Lost in Austen it's wonderful and hilarious ;)

bumblebums
October 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I've seen that so many times... My DVD is really worn out now :)

I agree that it's probably Firth's best part. He was okay as Vermeer in Girl with a Pearl Earring, too, but nothing to Darcy.

misstwist
October 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Let it be officially noted that he played Mr. Darcy in Bridgette Jones' Diary, as well.

LOVE the picture! Lots of fun.

spitfire511
October 12th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Love - Love - Love!! That's fantastic!!

Henrietta
October 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
No judging here! The reason why I am wearing braided buns very often lately is Keira Knightley as Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice;)

Ninika
October 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM
"She's tolerable, I suppose..." :D

No, really, you did a nice job there :). Love Colin Firth as Darcy, too.

Noortje
October 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I'm sitting here all blushing :o Thanks everyone, you're making my evening :)

Octave, thanks thanks for the tip, I'm downloading (schhh...) as we speak (write?) Lol! :eyebrows:

Carriegirl
October 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
That's so cute! I'm a HUGE Austen fan too (books and movies), and Colin Firth is the ONLY Mr.s Darcy!

LouLaLa
October 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Darcy it hot! I think the 1995 is my fave adaptation too! Ive watched it a million times.

Did you know that lizzie (jenifer ehle) was actually wearing a wig in the tv series (I envied her hair for ages then read the companion book and found out it was a wig :p)

And Janes hair was WOW, I was sad when Susannah Harker cut it off :( So long and pretty!

Ok I have to watch it again now :p Enabler!

EDIT: Ok im going to start a thread in the crafts and hobbies section about this version of the book so anyone who wants to swoon over colin as darcy can do so more... anyone with me :p oh go on you know you want to!

TrudieCat
October 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Love this!! Brilliant!

cybernetica
October 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ahh romance how I love thee! To bad I hardly see any of it irl :(
Now I must eat ice cream and watch a romantic period piece!

pepperminttea
October 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM
:lol: Thanks for the giggle. Love the updo; I've been messing about with Victorian ones lately but I might have to poke through some regency styles now. :)

And Colin Firth... be still my beating heart! ;)

faeflame
October 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ooooh, I love this! Off to break out my Austen movies, LOL! First in line Emma, with Paltrow, my all time fave Austen flick-- even my sons will watch that one.

LunarAurora
October 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I love him too ! I've seen the movie years ago but Colin Firth as Mr Darcy is still the stereotype of my charming prince :)

FrannyG
October 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I think Mr. Darcy is well-pleased indeed. Lovely. :blossom:

jlw9222
October 16th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Awesome...just awesome. Darcy looks completely enraptured. :) It MUST be the hair. ;)

squiggyflop
December 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
im a little confused because of the picture the OP posted.. thats not lizzy from the 1995 version.. that sure is mr. darcy but thats not lizzy.. im actually watching the dvds right now (my town's library has a wicked awesome collection of dvds)..

i actually disliked the hair in the series but only because of the curly bangs..

actually i disliked much of the series the first time i watched it.. first off jane is supposed to be a beauty.. i dont know the nice way to say how i feel about the actress chosen.. horse face.. yes that is what i would say if i were to be truthful.. not pleasant to look at.. and she looks waaaay older than jane is supposed to be.. she looks well past thirty when jane is supposed to be 22 years old.. im sure there must be prettier actresses in england.. she couldnt have been the only choice.. i mean really.. would it have cost more to get a real beauty that did justice to the way jane looked in the book ETA: she was over 30 at the time.. really couldnt they find a young woman?

as for colin firth.. *sigh* no i dont think i will swoon over him.. not in this role.. i dont understand why this role led him to have such inexpressive eyes.. frankly mr darcy was supposed to change like night to day when she visits pemberly and he hardly did justice to the emotion that the character was supposed to be conveying or the friendliness he was supposed to be portraying in those parts.. he also has trouble softening his voice.. or i should say he has trouble in this role as ive seen him in more recent productions where he was very well able to speak tenderly.. i had the book right in front of me so i knew what darcy's voice was supposed to sound in any of the scenes and the amount his eyes and voice should have softened, or when he was supposed to smile and be pleasant.. Matthew Macfadyen was better at expressing the emotions darcy was supposed to be feeling but the whole production of the 2005 version was missing so much that the acting did not make up for the lessening of the wit and austen-yness that one should expect to see..

so on a whole i think they could have done a better job casting/acting it but the actual production was nice..

ugh.. i had just read the book when i saw the show so i suppose i was a little more than sensitive to small differences in the characters.. so i guess thats why i noticed all the problems.. but if i had never read the book and not had it in front of me to use as a reference i perhaps would have had a very different view.. so after watching it a few times and trying my best to separate it from the book in my mind i rather like it now

Demetrue
December 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Squiggy - that picture is one the OP made starring herself as Lizzy!

squiggyflop
December 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Squiggy - that picture is one the OP made starring herself as Lizzy!
AHHHHHHHHH LMAO i thought she looked very familiar but i couldnt put my finger on where i had seen her