PDA

View Full Version : More "higher" splits from straightening twice???

julliams
October 11th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I always have some splits in my hair and I spend a good amount of time S & D'ing as often as I think to.

This week I heat straightened my hair twice with my ceramic straightener (on 220 degrees - yes, yes, I know!!!). This is not normal to me as of the last year. I have been airdrying solidly for over a year now but prior to that I straightened up to 3 times a week. I have straightened my hair a total of 4 times this year so we are not talking alot and always on fully dry hair.

However, during my S & D last night and today I have noticed several splits that start way up the strand - like 2 - 4 inches up. Now it's possible that I just never noticed them before and now that my hair has been flat ironed they are more pronounced (I normally wear it wavy).

Could the straightening have caused these or is it more likely that they are just more noticeable now?

Dragon
October 11th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Depending on how delicate your hair is it can be very possible the straightening may have caused some split ends. Years ago I use to get my hair straightend once a week and it diddent take long to see even more split ends all up my hair. But then some people seem to be able to get away with it occasionally so I guess if your hair is very delicate its defiantly possible. But If your hair isent that delicate its probably that you havent noticed them before.

ericthegreat
October 11th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I strongly doubt that flat ironing your hair just these 2 times could have caused that much damage to your hair when you have been taking care of it very well for the rest of the year.
I think its more likely that the split ends are much more noticeable when you style your hair straight. Everyone that grows their hair long will eventually see at least some split ends, its just a natural process that happens because longer hair is also older hair, the ends have seen more washing and brushing/combing and natural wear & tear than your hair near your roots.
I myself have quite a few split ends myself. The bottom length of my hair is well trimmed, but those are only the very longest of my hair strands. I have lots of hair strands that are shorter than the length I have on the bottom and they remain untrimmed, and I would drive myself crazy if I tried to go after every single one of them. Your hair looks very thick and full to me julliams, I think you should leave it natural and wavy though as I quite love your signature picture.