PDA

View Full Version : Fine/thin hair LHCers - do you have trouble braiding?

Carriegirl
October 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I am wanting to do more styles as i usually just wear my hair down every day (i know- i'm learning). I love to do half-ups as they look really flattering on me and make me feel very elven :) There are so many pretty braided styles to try, but i am having a hard time with them. Two braids on the sides, i can do, but beyond that it feels like my hair is too thin and wispy. Plus they end up looking a bit sloppy, almost bristly with the little pieces that stick out - i guess the young new growth hairs that just won't stay down!

I plan on practicing on my 5yo dd who has APL hair so i can get the styles down....but braiding on myself is another matter! :o

Am i the only one having trouble with braids? Is there a secret to getting them looking nice? Are there particular braids that you fine/think haired LHCers love and work for you?

heidihug
October 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
When my hair was between BSL and waist I would often wear it in a braided ponytail - cute and keeps the braid up and out of the way. Your layers will grow and the little pieces will stick out less with time; but, in the meantime, you might try slightly dampening you hair with a mister right before you braid. The moisture may help keep it tamed. As for the ends of the braids looking thin and wispy, well, that's just the way it is for us fine/thin haired peeps. The nice thing is that the taper which a lot of us develop really helps make up-dos easier. So - bonus!

Themyst
October 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I have very fine, thin hair. I'd like to wear it down more often, but people just stare and I don't like to make a spectacle of myself. I thought I'd try a single braid since that's not as eye-catching as wearing it loose.

The first time, it looked pretty frazzled after only an hour. I was out, so I had to keep re-braiding it. I was told to oil the braid and that would help.

The next time I tried it, I did oil the braid, but it still looked like I ran through the forest after about an hour or so.

So I don't know what to tell you. I'd like to know, too. :agree:

Xi
October 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I am definitely no braiding expert, but I usually find braided updos work best for me (e.g., braided bun, rosebun, french braid coiled into a bun, etc.). This conceals the wispy tassels.8)

FrannyG
October 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I have very fine hair, and when I first joined here, I did have trouble with braids. However, I've become pretty good at making all sorts of braids now--even 5 strand braids and crown braids, which I never thought I'd be able to do.

Do I have little hairs that stick out? Yes. Does that bother me? No. I think perfection is highly overrated. :)

When my hair was at APL, I primarily practiced with half-up braids. It easier to make full single braids at BSL or so, at least for me.

Yes, my braids are thin compared to many people here at LHC, but I stopped comparing myself to others a long time ago.

The key is practice, practice, practice. There really is no other secret to it. Just practice. You'll get good at it in time. :blossom:

Fadedbluedreams
October 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
When I had my hair very long before my chop, I would always braid my hair just out of the shower...it was VERY wet. That way, all the hair is weighed down and stuck together. It makes braiding very easy and look really good.

swivelhop
October 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have no tips for braids, but fine thin hair has always been my favourite. It lays hangs and flows. Its dream hair IMHO, not sure why everyone likes thick here.

freznow
October 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Always had that problem myself. I just braided my sister's hair tonight and it's a nightmare - my hand cramps because it's trying to grasp something that barely exists. The hairs like to stick to the side of your face instead of coming into the braid. I always found it easiest on clean but well moisturized hair. Squeaky clean is too fly away and oily is too stuck in its ways to cooperate.

mellie89
October 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, I definitely have trouble with braids. My hair is always slippery, no matter what products I use or how clean/dirty it is. My braids are definitely thinner than some I've seen here, but I try not to compare.

I find that French or Dutch braids with small sections stay much better than plain old English braids. I usually leave the tassels a little long to make the ends look less anemic. A tiny drop of oil will take care of the wispy pieces.

Carriegirl
October 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the feedback and sharing :-) Good pointers about the wet braiding and the oil. I will practice, practice, practice! :-)

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I have a lot of problems with braids, my hair is thin. Of course, I also have a lot of layers still, which causes the most problem.. I end up having half braid, half pony tail at the end because I can't get it all to braid :p. The braids are also usually pretty small because I don't have a lot of hair. So.. I just don't wear them. Let me know if you find a solution!

Katze
October 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Although my hair is quite thick at the roots, it thins out to nothing at the ends. So braids can make my hair look much more puny than it is. This taper is natural and seems genetic; I constantly trim but my ends remain thin.

I love braids, but because of this taper as well as my unwilling layers (I lost about half my hair when my daughter was between 3 and 6 months old, and it is now growing back) mean that only messy braids or braids hidden in messy updos really work on me right now.

so no you are not alone! :D

luxepiggy
October 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm still getting the hang of braids, but I've found that a little oil helps, as it seems to help keep each section of hair more separated from the rest (^(oo)^)

heidihug
October 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have no tips for braids, but fine thin hair has always been my favourite. It lays hangs and flows.
I'd like fine and thin hair that hangs and flows, swivelhop! :) Mine hangs - in clumpy lanks, even immediately after brushing. Or it floats and separates and gets into everything. Or both! Another reason that braiding is a good option for many fine/thin haired people.

grldollies
October 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I Don't do any fancy braids but just one down my back when I'm working out or cleaning my house. I use a little hairspray at my lower nape & use a very light bit of oil from top to side.
I also use it everyday m-f work - I wear my hair down because I am warmer then. I put it around the frame of my face & ever so lightly along the outer hair layer & ends. It keeps the fly-aways non-existent.
At my work, they run the air very cold, it is 69 degrees in my office every morning -and today it was 68! I run a small space heater all day long. Burr -I just can't wear it up even though I live in central Florida!
I have used many plain, blends, organic and natural oils but I have found one oil blend I like the best no matter what, about $5, Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil, it has some non oil additives (oh-well!) But smells nice and it is very light, most other oils just are too heavy on my hair and this one will soak in & not be too shinny or flat. I have very fine hair and have not had good luck for day use on most oils.

Found in the ethnic isle & on Amazon too.
Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil "fights hair breakage, adds shine, provides heat protection and can be utilized as a scalp treatment"
2 oz - Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Olive Oil, Vitamin E, Chamomile Extract, Macadamian Nut Oil, Coconut Oil, Methylparaben, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Fragrance, BHA, D&C Yellow #11, D&C Green #6

Also - I think I may try this one I didn't know they made this as I never saw it in the stores - I was looking for the olive oil ingredients and found the carrot oil on Amazon. Maybe it will be a good product too, I will see. They had several high reviews on it. People said thier hair stopped falling out and used it for moisture & manageability. ( also saw carrot acholesterol deep conditioner and a mayonnaise moisturizing creme oil w/ egg protein that looked interesting too)
Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil 2oz & 8oz, Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Carrot Oil, Aloe Extract, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Cholesterol, Hydrolyzed Keratin Proteins, Horsetail Extract, Rose Hips Oil, Pecano Oil, BHA.
Hollywood Beauty (Hollywood Fl.) company web site under construction - http://www.hollywoodbeautyimports.com/

Have a Great Hair Day! - Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

Angelica
October 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hi. As you can see from my profile, I have the finest skinniest hair going and French Braids are the best style for it as it makes my hair look thicker. However, I never leave the braid hang, I tuck it up with a scrunchie. The braid is much easier than other styles which are often impossible to try to imitate with my hair type.

vampodrama
October 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
My hair is fine and thin, and a single english braid is my staple everyday style. My braid is skinny and tiny and will tell everyone in a second just HOW thin my hair is, but who cares. The braid is the only thing that works on my hair - no updos for me, they all pull, fall out, or look just wrong.

After about 10 minutes my braid looks a mess (all it takes is two steps outside the house for me), but once again, who cares...

Braiding itself is not a problem, I am simply way too lazy to make any trickier braids (although french and dutch and herringbones sometimes make an appearance if I can be bothered)

growing2shine
October 11th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I love braids but they are almost impossible for me when my hair is clean. It works best for me when I oil my hair, but im not that happy about the oily look. :p And even when I oil, it only takes a few minutes before the braid is all messy and fluffy.

But I guess it can only get better, with healthier hair and practise. :D

aenflex
October 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
My hair braids very easily. Probably because it's moderately course as well as thin. But I always have shorter pieces sticking out like others have mentioned. Not so bad once it gets longer so I am waiting a while before I start messing with braids again. Right now it would like 'I ran through a forest'...forgot who said that but it made me giggle :)

Rocket22
October 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
never been that good at braiding but the other day was showing my bf how I can french braid but said I always get it messy and crooked and he said it looked good to him and when I checked it did!!! hair was little damp so that was for sure the trick.

maria_asa
October 12th, 2010, 01:57 AM
The biggest problem for me when braiding is that the sections get so thin that my hands cramp up trying to hold on to them. Because of this I very rarely do braids with more than three strands. I've managed both four and five strands but in the ends it's just not worth the pain.

Elenna
October 12th, 2010, 02:37 AM
My hair is BSL, and it still doesn't want to braid (play) nicely. But at least I'm not the only one. That is a big relief.

jasper
October 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I have had problems with complicated braided updos and fine hair when the style calls for multiple braids. Something that will look good on a person with a medium texture will look wrong on my head because the braids, twists or buns turn out, well, just small even though I have the length to do the style.

cubedcoley
October 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM
My hair is very "slick" and soft on wash day and Day 2 after that, so it is not a time I can do braids easily without assistance from Aloe Vera gel. However, sliding some aloe vera on my fingertips as I braid really helps me hold my fine slick hair in place as I weave, AND on Day 3 after my wash, the oil combined with aloe vera gel really makes the braid look shiny. I agree, though, practice, practice, practice. Happy braiding :)

Carriegirl
October 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks again for all the tips! It's nice to know i'm not alone in mastering braids (not that i have done too much practicing yet!) I will definitely be trying the aloe vera gel tip. I haven't used it for styling yet. Cool!

And i have to say, we may complain about about the difficulties of braiding this sort of hair - but i have seen some of the prettiest heads of hair in this thread! ;-)

luxepiggy
October 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks again for all the tips! It's nice to know i'm not alone in mastering braids (not that i have done too much practicing yet!) I will definitely be trying the aloe vera gel tip. I haven't used it for styling yet. Cool!

And i have to say, we may complain about about the difficulties of braiding this sort of hair - but i have seen some of the prettiest heads of hair in this thread! ;-)

Do come by and play sometime in the straight and silky thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22766) too, if you're interested! (^(oo)^)

DrkAngel
October 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM
The next time I tried it, I did oil the braid, but it still looked like I ran through the forest after about an hour or so.

:rollin: oh boy. that's what my braids end up like pretty soon. I haven't solved it yet but the only thing I have found is that brading with slightly wet hair helps give it a little bit more volume and it stays put for a while longer. *Some* coconut oil might help too.

mousehouse
April 18th, 2017, 07:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OFlc713.jpg

Question for those who have teeny tiny braids like mine above... what do you secure with? In the photo I am using those tiny rubber band elastics, but those are basically one-time-use only and being plastic, they're hard on the hair (and the environment)... but normal elastics, scrunchies, etc, are way way too big.

pandabarrier
April 18th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Question for those who have teeny tiny braids like mine above... what do you secure with? In the photo I am using those tiny rubber band elastics, but those are basically one-time-use only and being plastic, they're hard on the hair (and the environment)... but normal elastics, scrunchies, etc, are way way too big.
I hear you! My ends are tapered and I use children's ponytail holder in my braids.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/ponytail-holder/SBS-438014,default,pd.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SHO&cm_mmc=google-_-SHO-_-cpc-_-keyword&gclid=CKifrfmtr9MCFd6LswodUyMHRg

mousehouse
April 18th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I hear you! My ends are tapered and I use children's ponytail holder in my braids.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/ponytail-holder/SBS-438014,default,pd.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SHO&cm_mmc=google-_-SHO-_-cpc-_-keyword&gclid=CKifrfmtr9MCFd6LswodUyMHRg

Thanks! I've thought about those before but always thought they might still be too fat. I'll give that a go!

pandabarrier
April 18th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks! I've thought about those before but always thought they might still be too fat. I'll give that a go!
True, they might be too fat, but they're better than rubber bands! You could try baby ponytail holder.

MidnightMoon
April 19th, 2017, 02:47 AM

Those are what I use on my braids. I don't see any damage from them, as I don't think I tie them to an extreme, and it's the ends anyway. I also make a note to place it in the same place when I take it off so I can reuse it, so it's not that bad on the environment. I guess you could also braid in a piece of thread in the ends and tie it.

Arctic
April 19th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Silicone elastics are not all equal. I have had those which last 2 uses before snapping, and I have had those which last YEARS of use (yes I mean one single elastic lasts years). I always buy the better quality ones, I hate to generate waste from the easily snapping elastics.

I also like to use small, black metal-free thin elastics (which have some kinf of thread covering them). They are small, non-bulky and since they are very small (yet larger than the mini silicone elastics) they are great for the ends of braids.

MidnightMoon
April 19th, 2017, 04:44 AM
I hear on the bad quality ones, though I've tried of different types, and you can make last even the worse ones, just don't tie too hard.
So far the best ones I discovered while working in a school. Kids would be wearing these http://loomlove.com/wp-content/uploads/ziagonal-rainbow-loom-9.jpg (just illustrating the kind, not the brand)
all the time, and they would gift them to us, throw them away or have them taken in class, so I started using those to tie my braids haha. They were really good. Maybe since they are targeted to kids they are more resistant, so they don't snap while they're doing their bracelets?