PDA

View Full Version : What updos makes you feel prettiest?

UrbanEast
October 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
There are a lot of buns that look beautiful from the back but relatively unflattering from the front. I know that a little angling at the front, and even little braids on the sides, can make any 'do more flattering. But I wanted to hear from people hear: Which updo is the most flattering on you---makes you feel and look pretty?

Sagi1982
October 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Pinned Dutch classics. I love them, they love me. ^_^
Almost every kind of braided bun.

enfys
October 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Faux crown braid. It makes me feel like Princess Leia, looks great front, back and side and won't be seen on me for another couple of years because hair needs to be blunter than blunt to pull it off without any taper...

HintOfMint
October 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
French twist. I can keep a part, make it a bit loose and keep some volume at the top to keep it from looking too severe.

Updos and braids are the main reason why I keep bangs, they really soften up the look.

Dragon
October 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Not sure yet.

kmoc123
October 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
LOVE A Messy Bun

UrbanEast
Pinned Dutch classics. I love them, they love me. ^_^
Almost every kind of braided bun.

Is that just a pinned dutch braid? Do you happen to have a link to the instructions? :)

Braided buns work best for me too. I just tried the braided nautilus a few minutes ago, and it looks great.

LittleOrca
For me it is more often about the hair toy making me feel pretty than my hair being up. I love to have my hair down, and it is then that I really feel at my most beautiful, but I do like the look of a perfect Cinnamon bun and the Luana braids with the double bun coils in the back make me feel nice. As does a Gibson tuck when it decides to behave.

MissManda
October 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have no idea. I'm not a big fan of buns because I think they make me look like a mean lady. Hee hee.

I prefer braids, but if I had to pick one, it would be a fully-rolled sock bun. It's huge, but it still looks so elegant. :)

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Combination braids, especially two French lace braids into one English braid, with that softness at the front. Only problem is I can so rarely get them to work on hair that isn't oiled to the hilt, and then getting them to look reasonably even for me is nigh on impossible.

ETA:

Is that just a pinned dutch braid? Do you happen to have a link to the instructions? :)

This might help. (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/braid_examples_classics.htm) :)

GeoJ
October 10th, 2010, 04:13 PM
From the front I think Dutch braids on the sides and the faux (or real) crown braid are the best for me. I don't like the look of crown braids on myself from the side, though, because of my head shape. From the side, regular buns or Dutch classic braids are the best. I also kind of like the look of a high tight bun from the front on myself, but I have a very soft face, so a severe hairstyle doesn't really come across as severe on me.

I get the most complements with Dutch classic braids, pinned up the back into a high bun, so I guess that is what's the most flattering on me.

ETA: Since I just read pepperminttea's post above me, I thought I would mention that although I will do the Dutch classic braids evenly with a center part, they also look good done in an uneven way with a side part- at least they do for me. :)

tinti
October 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I love braids and braided buns ... and I've allways loved messy buns, though I just made a goal to stp wearing them as much as I have done (daily) Trying to be gentle :p But the bonus with layers is that whatever bun I make turns out messy, so I guess I can still wear them, just not my 2 sec one.

swivelhop
October 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
High ponytail, slicked back. (Not hair kind but it looks good)

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Since I just read pepperminttea's post above me, I thought I would mention that although I will do the Dutch classic braids evenly with a center part, they also look good done in an uneven way with a side part- at least they do for me. :)

Thanks GeoJ. :) I can get the sizes about the same, but one always ends up very close to my ear, while the other side is much higher up. I think it's because I'm right-handed and I'm focusing too much on that side. C'est la vie - practice, practice, practice...

Toothe
October 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
For me, it's a flipped cinnabun. I think it gives an elegant shape from every angle and it tends to loosen or push forward the front to soften it a little.

And for some reason, old ladies seem to love this style on me...I always get compliments from them whenever I wear it! :laugh:

FrozenFlame22
October 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
French braid (when someone else braids for me because I suck at braiding) or a figure 8 bun.

Also anything I can put my pretty hair toys into!

mimi1153
October 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I have loved this look for a long time (Dutch pinned), BUT I don't feel I look right in a part. Is there any way to do this and pull just a little of the top front back and pin it/place a barrett or something to get a little pull back/puff before you start braiding? Any information and/or pics welcome. THanks.

Kristin
October 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I get a ton of compliments on double rose buns (vertical, like one on top of the other). After playing with some new styles, I think I can sorta fudge a nautilus with the help of s few bobbi pins; it may be a new favorite because it looks so soft and feminine (or maybe that's just my layers falling out, lol).

LoversLullaby
October 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Combination braids, especially two French lace braids into one English braid, with that softness at the front. Only problem is I can so rarely get them to work on hair that isn't oiled to the hilt, and then getting them to look reasonably even for me is nigh on impossible.

ETA:

This might help. (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/braid_examples_classics.htm) :)
Thanks for the link, I'm loving this site right here. :)

That being said, my favorite styles are any ones incorporating braids, particularly braided buns. They make me feel elegant and princess-like. :)

McFearless
October 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Oh god it takes a lot more than a good updo to make me feel pretty:p
Top knots make me look like less of a 12 year old boy.

Alcenaia
October 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Crown braids (which I am in fact wearing right now) make me feel pretty. Most well-constructed buns do the same, especially when paired with dangly earrings. Moving the bun up to the back of my head, as opposed to the nape, seems to update my look by quite a few years. :p

Wearing it down though...:D

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I love when I can do a simply pony tail pushed up a little to make my hair look more voluminous. I'll gather my hair back upper-mid back of the head, set in the hairtye, pull it out a bit so it's not totally glued to the scalp, and push it upwards and stick a hair clip on there. Then I get this nice little poof that I like, especially if I twist my bangs back into the poof :p. I have a wonderful picture of my hair like this, I'll have to find it.

Luckysock
October 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have no idea. I'm not a big fan of buns because I think they make me look like a mean lady. Hee hee.

I prefer braids, but if I had to pick one, it would be a fully-rolled sock bun. It's huge, but it still looks so elegant. :)

Me too - rolled sock bun all the way :D

Blueneko
October 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Strangely, I find a high ponytail to be really cute for my head shape and features. Low French braids are the worst for me.

Igraine
October 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Flipped Cinnabun, Chinese Bun, Rose bun (well flattened), Victorian 'do, chignons (if I didn't get them so messy...), and softer wrapped styles. French/Dutch braids don't necessarily look best on me (though they're still done), because of harsh facial features.

LittleOrca
October 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Strangely, my bun I am in now makes me feel real pretty. :) I don't usually think of a sock bun as pretty, but I got bored and decorated it with some of my rose forks.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_5381-1.jpg...http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_5384-1.jpg...http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_5382-1.jpg

GeoJ
October 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have loved this look for a long time (Dutch pinned), BUT I don't feel I look right in a part. Is there any way to do this and pull just a little of the top front back and pin it/place a barrett or something to get a little pull back/puff before you start braiding? Any information and/or pics welcome. THanks.

I just tried something on my DD to see if I could do this. I kept hair from the front aside until done rather than using a barrette. It looked pretty good, but still had a hint of a part showing on one side. I have pictures and a description of what I did in my album:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3067&pictureid=85454

I don't know if that's what you had in mind, but maybe it will help a little.

ETA: I was just thinking, and I remembered that I used to do a faux crown with no part by pulling the front into a barrette (placed where the braids would go over), then braiding and wrapping the braids over my head so the barrette was hidden.

GeoJ
October 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Strangely, my bun I am in now makes me feel real pretty. :) I don't usually think of a sock bun as pretty, but I got bored and decorated it with some of my rose forks.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_5381-1.jpg...http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_5384-1.jpg...http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_5382-1.jpg

That decorated sock bun does look very pretty!

Capybara
October 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM
LittleOrca :thud: That's definitely on my pretty updo list :cool:

For me, I like flipped cinnabuns and French twists. I also like all kinds of braids - although crown braids don't work too well on me, I think I'd have to get them professionally done for them to be presentable :o. When I attempt to make one myself, I get a GINORMOUS crown that sticks out way too far.

torrilin
October 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Anything built around a French braid looks good on me so far. My hair tends to have a lot of color variation even when 100% virgin, so it's very colorful and elaborate looking, almost like I highlighted my hair juuuuuuust for the braid(s).

I've been fooling around with pseudo-Stardust buns, and they look really good.

A cinnabun on the actual top of my head, especially with a smidge of aloe gel gives me a very Edwardian look. Very soft and fluffy, with tiny tendrils falling out. It's hard to make myself do one tho, since I'm so used to the bun going on the back of my head... but I need to get over my "I'm not a doll damnit" rants and do the version that looks good.

ETA: on me bangs don't soften things at all. the waves in my hair don't start until well below my shoulders normally, and I have a pretty low forehead and a very round face.

karenpetal
October 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Little Orca that is a really gorgeous hairstyle - wish I could do something so sophisticated !!!

I feel prettiest and really feminine in a high ponytail - though for most people this may be too boring but I do feel really pretty in high ponytail

I do love the look of French Braid from the behind though not from the front

Aliped
October 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Updos and braids are the main reason why I keep bangs, they really soften up the look.

Agreed! That is the reason for my bangs!

picklepie
October 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Reading this thread I realize that one of the reasons I want long hair is that I'm not a particularly feminine person-- I've had my head shaved to 1/4" for most of the last two decades, for one thing-- and dislike the fluffy, feminine, curly cloud I have when my hair is in the in-between stages. I LIKE the severity of pulled-back long hair, actually, and look forward to being able to wear my hair really BACK one of these days! So interesting how different people's tastes are!

WaitingSoLong
October 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Any dual bun looks better on me, I have to place them just right, though, where you can sort of see them from the front.

Part of my "ugly" thing is that my hair parts on the side, and it takes a LOT of work to get it to part in the middle and have it look right, but when I can do that, I think it looks best. I always have a part in my hair, bunned or braided, there is a part. I think I look ridiculous without one. I used to have a half-up do I loved but my hair is too long for it now.

I like doing a centre part with a zig and dual buns of some kind. I have an example in my album if you want to see. Or using a zig part with a regular bun really helps, too. I don't do bangs or tendrils or wispies because THEY TOUCH MY FACE AND IRK ME TO DEATH. I have learned to take my stubborn side part and zig it into a centre part. Or try irregular parting methods.

I think in general I look awful with just a bun and so I usually wear earrings and do my make-up if I am going out with a bun. Mostly, I just don't care. I do un-brushed buns almost daily. But then, I stay home all day most days.

Also, if you have your eyebrows waxed, sometimes that "dolls" up the face when hair is pulled back. I have never personally done this but think it looks good on SOME people. I am all about low maintenance and plucked/waxed brows is too much work for me.

angelfell
October 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
AHA! Got a pic guys. My favorite :) I think I want blonde streaks again..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/xwolfxboundx/updo.jpg

Henrietta
October 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
French twist. I can keep a part, make it a bit loose and keep some volume at the top to keep it from looking too severe.

Same here, though now I keep my bangs quite long, normally it should be shortened many weeks ago but I like to clip it up making some kind of "pouf". No hair on my forehead but also no severe look;)

beachwaves
October 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM
A low side bun-kinda messy with a french braid in front

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think that my hair looks best when I put two half french braids in my hair and the remainder of my hair is put in a messy bun.

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM
No nonsense, strict buns. I love them, I think they go well with the plain, stern clothes I like to wear. I also love braids.

UrbanEast
October 20th, 2010, 11:24 PM
pepperminttea or anyone else,

Could you help me find some tutorials for self-braiding lace French or Dutch braids? Most of the ones I've found have been either for a "full headband" and/or had someone braiding someone else's hair, which made it unclear how I would do the same thing myself.

Thanks!

Merlin
October 21st, 2010, 02:09 AM
No nonsense, strict buns.

Actually, they can look really pretty if done well.

I think it's a bit like really good design, or a great monochrome photo - if the lines are strong enough and clear enough then it doesn't need to be fussy or full of detail.

julliams
October 21st, 2010, 04:56 AM
I do the chopstick/pencil bun on top of my head and then top it off with a headband - I think it's cute. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5059397186_25c79c18dd.jpg

Astarte_1980
October 21st, 2010, 05:00 AM
For me it is the most important thing that the Updo feels fine.
If it is not perfect I am not worrying about it.

linnepinne
October 21st, 2010, 05:06 AM
Sockbun! Or anything that makes me look like I have more hair than I actually do. :D

Konstifik
October 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM
Messy buns are cutest/prettiest overall on me, as they give the impression of more volume. Sock buns would also look very good if I actually managed to do decent ones. :p
Half-ups also look good on me, for a short time, before it velcroes. :)

gossamer
October 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
I really like a messy shell bun held with a single stick. From the back it looks impressively large and from the front the pieces escaping from the bun help me look less severe.

One bun I can't seem to feel comfortable with is the Chinese bun - if anyone knows how to make that look good from the front too, do share!

Spike
October 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Big buns. Great big buns.

I was having a "bitty-hair" day yesterday, so when I got home I rolled it up in a messy bun with a scrunchie. Ahhhhhhh . . .

Looking forward to the day i have enough length that I don't need the "air in the hair" to get a head-chomper.

BrightEyes7
October 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Personally I love any bun really high on my head. I'm a top-knotter!!

mariika
October 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Faux crown braid. It makes me feel like Princess Leia
Makes me feel like Yulia Tymoshenko (dirty Ukrainian politician):
http://images.suite101.com/946316_com_800pxmsc_2.jpg
How do I fight the abruptness of pulled back hair? I add little French braids or twists where I take a small part of my hair somewhere at the side or top near my face and French braid it or twist it and pin it (or just pull back with the rest of the hair). Looks better but there is nothing better than a messy updo with LOTS of loose hair.
It's odd how even though I look good with my face completely open with no hair around it, it's still bizarre and you want something to be there...

baaaad_kitty
October 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I feel pretty with a french twist, the ones I do myself. For some reason the hair near my forehead kinda goes up and it's flattering to my round face

Madora
October 25th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The one shown in my picture avatar! So easy to do, comfortable to wear, stays neat, easy to undo!

Charlotte:)
October 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I like the "romantic braid" found somewhere in the articals section of LHC. It can make anyone look like a fairytale princess:)

Juliannaissance
October 26th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I think buns look a little strange from the front but beautiful in the back. I have a friend that used to wear buns, and the sad thing is that her ex-boyfriend used to tell her that she looked bald...I'm guessing from the front, but yeah, that guy was a jerk.

EbonyCurls
October 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM
bouffant bun. I've gotten comments that I look like an "alternative ballerina" when I wear one.
Like Heidi Klum wore one or the infamous JLo beehive bun http://images.sugarscape.com/userfiles/image/april2010/Lauren/jloface290410.jpg

arwenevenstar37
November 1st, 2010, 10:02 PM
I like the "romantic braid" found somewhere in the articals section of LHC. It can make anyone look like a fairytale princess:)

Does anyone have a link to this hairstyle :)

Melisande
November 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Flipped bun, braided bun, open.

GreyArea
November 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Braids, braids, braids. Especially fishtail braid. I like braided buns too.

Mirsha
November 2nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
pepperminttea or anyone else,

Could you help me find some tutorials for self-braiding lace French or Dutch braids? Most of the ones I've found have been either for a "full headband" and/or had someone braiding someone else's hair, which made it unclear how I would do the same thing myself.

Thanks!

Do you mean something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTrLeqBPEqQ

If so, it's all in the video, very easy since you can see what you're doing and no awkward arm positioning on yourself imo.

For myself, a pretty braided half-up style makes me feel pretty. It still has length, but also fools people into thinking I can braid better than I can :D

isbmlamloi
November 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
I just got introduced to the Swoop bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1wl8fNvto) and though I haven't tried it yet, I can't see how I'm going to be able to wear it without feeling gorgeous and elegant.

greentealeaf
November 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Just looked at the video for the Swoop bun...it's gorgeous!!

Out of what I've tried on me, I really like how elegant the orchid bun looks.

Drarra
November 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
A crown braid is my favorite on myself. I love how it frames my face.

mali
November 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Messy buns,high ponytails(especially when hair is long),neat buns,a braided ponytail,a crown braid,''japanese'' buns.I think that's about it!;)

nemileo
November 3rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
"Romantic" hairdoes where there are a lot of loose hairs sorrounding the face, and hopefully a wavy, messy bun in the back. Wish I had more curls so I could pull it off perfectly. It only works for me when it is really humid weather so all the small hair around my face curls up. And LOTS of volume! I guess a lioness is a lioness alike :D (asterology)

adiapalic
November 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hmm... I feel good in my rope-braid bun that I secure tightly against my head with hair pins. Very comfy. It feels pretty too :) I also like the wilder look of my loose equilibrium bun too.

rach
November 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
chinese bun - looks great now at my length and very evenly coiled round which i didn't do a year back.
Looks thick and a little different also looks like it involved allot of effort but it doesn't , shhhhh :p

http://gallery.me.com/purplewisteria/100031/Chinese%20bun.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12888279500001http://gallery.me.com/purplewisteria/100031/Oct%2010_2.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12888281790001
excuse the stays - end of day of being up

messy cinnamon buns-

http://gallery.me.com/purplewisteria/100031/Oct%2010.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12888278590001

DorothyAtForty
November 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
I really like wearing a faux crown braid (two braids at nape pinned on top) and two French braids (down and around my ears). I like the way my hair gets wavy when I take my hair down. Even though I love long curls, my hair gets angry if I apply heat so I try not to do it.

slz
November 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Actually, they can look really pretty if done well.

I think it's a bit like really good design, or a great monochrome photo - if the lines are strong enough and clear enough then it doesn't need to be fussy or full of detail.
It also depends on facial features, I think. I have a very strict face, nothing "cute" or pretty I thus can pull off pretty well the "mean schoolteacher" look :D . On the other hand, I look so ridiculous with a crown braid it's not even funny :o . Quite sure with other face shapes it might be the opposite.
My favorite : I really haven't tried that many different things, since I'm quite lazy and most of the times when I try something new it ends up unbalanced and painful, but I have a feeling the day I master anything french twist-like it'll look great. For now I feel "prettier" with anything involving accent or side braids.

RitaPG
November 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
For me, it's not about having my hair up in a certain way that makes me feel more or less pretty, it's about having the back of my neck exposed. I first noticed that when a guy I know did a high pony and now I'm very self-conscious about it because I think it's a beautiful part of the body, either on a man or a woman. I think the japanese have a word for it.
I know this seems creepy but it's not like that, at all :oops: I don't have a ****** with necks or anything lol

Most of the time I just do a nautilus and put a hairstick on it. My friends call it "à lá chinese" lol
As for pretty hairstyles on their own, I like a messy side braid or a neat french braid, depending on the mood and occasion.

marikamt
November 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
One thing I have noticed, is where I place my bun makes a huge difference in whether I feel 'pretty' or 'mean old lady'.... higher up buns make me feel prettier

ullalein
November 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
That would be my fully rolled sock bun with a BIG sock and my bubble sticks.