PDA

View Full Version : How to cut long layers

aisling
October 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
My intention is to turn this into an article, as I couldn't find one on the topic. Before that, I'd like feedback, do you understand this? Should I include something more?

This method is based on several methods that people have mentioned here on LHC or linked to, thanks to them for the ideas. It is suitable for longer hairs, waist+ length I'd guess.

You'll need a good scissors, comb, a hair elastic and a mirror (preferably two to be able to check out your hair in the back).

Start by detangling your hair properly. Then bend forward and comb your hair over your head towards your face. Gather your hair to a ponytail just at your hairline, right above your forehead. Then stand up straight, grab that ponytail with one hand and the elastic with another. Carefully slide the elastic toward the end of the tail, while you keep the ponytail straight out and away from your face. Don't slide the elastic all the way down, stop a good bit before your reach the ends. Grab your scissors and cut the ends straight off. I'd recommend to cut about 4-6"/10-15cm, no more, this will probably not (hopefully not) affect your length but create some nice long layers. If you want a heavier layering, you can cut one more time.

When you've done the cut, take out the ponytail and assess the result. In my case I decided to continue with the shaping, I used the first step of Feye's self trim (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1) method to create an U-shape. I felt this was needed to make the layers look more finished and it made the layers blend in better. In this step you really don't have to cut much, just take off 1-2"/3-5cm to soften the "edges".

This is how my hair looked some weeks after the trim:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=50&pictureid=84426

ellen732
October 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Isn't 4-6 inches a lot to cut off with this method? And this will pretty much cut the length as well if any of it is in the pony tail, but it's definitely a good way to get long layers, but maybe just by trimming 1-2 " off for starters.

enfys
October 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Maybe you could include some diagrams/photos to show what you mean with the ponytail postition as you pull the elastic out.

I don't see how it would affect the length since your nape is more than 4" from your hairline. Not all your hair would get cut.

Maybe also add in a note on how to maintain these layers incase anyone tries to use this method to maintain?

UltraBella
October 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I would be absolutely terrified to try this on myself !!! I have layered hair and I just can't imagine trying to do it on my own. You are brave :)

Juneii
October 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Isn't 4-6 inches a lot to cut off with this method? And this will pretty much cut the length as well if any of it is in the pony tail, but it's definitely a good way to get long layers, but maybe just by trimming 1-2 " off for starters.

I think what is happening is you're cutting off 4" of the top layer, so it shouldn't affect the overall length.

longhairtobe
October 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
eek! 4-6 inches is a lot especially for me, but i do ultimately want a U shaped hemline and maybe some layers cut into it so i'm going to keep this in mind until im at waist i think

Carolyn
October 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I think what is happening is you're cutting off 4" of the top layer, so it shouldn't affect the overall length.Yes that's right. Your front hairline is more than 6" away from your nape. You should be able to see how much it would be before you do any cutting. Make a few test pony tails. It's really not all that much hair being cut. It's not like you made a ponytail 6" up from the bottom and cut it.

misstwist
October 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
This type of method worked just fine for me at apl. I don't think one would need to wait until waist to do this if they want these type of layers.

It looks great on you aisling!

aisling
October 11th, 2010, 03:19 AM
If you cut just 1-2 inches you won't get any layers at all, they won't show up. You'll have to dare cutting a bit more for any layering to take place, as others chimed in and said.

enfys, I'm not sure how exactly to maintain these layers as I haven't tried that yet :lol: Good idea, if anybody has any suggestions for this, I'm all ears.

misstwist, thank you, that's good to know, I just imagined that to be able to even make a ponytail at your hairline in the front, you'll need longer hair.

enfys
October 11th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I guess maintaining would involve making the ponytail and so on again, but just cutting half an inch off, not the initial 4-6?

The ends of the original ponytail would be like this, with shorter strands at the top being those from the nape and the longer being from the front:

_______________|___
_______________|____
_______________|________

then after cutting would be like this:

Then to maintain it would be something like this:
______________|_
______________|_
______________|_

Yeah, I'm too lazy to even do a picture in Paint :lol:

aisling
October 11th, 2010, 05:59 AM
enfys, I think you're right, I understand your "picture" perfectly and it makes sense when I think about it.

SimplyViki
October 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Sounds about right to me! I used pretty much the same method around two years ago, but I'm growing it out now because I had a hard time with updos and layers. I just used my hand instead of a ponytail. :shrug: Can't really remember why I didn't like the ponytail.

I might just go back to layers one of these days. Matter of fact, I bet that'd take off most of my current remaining damage. :ponder:

Aisling, how do the layers affect your updos? Do the ends stick out all over the place? I'm wondering if having longer length and more skill with updos will make it easier to keep the ends tucked in.

Anje
October 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I've done stuff like this in the past, though usually with less severe layering by making the ponytail roughly at my nose instead of my forehead.

Felt like making a quick diagram of what's happening, conceptually. Aisling's instructions are similar, except that the person would be leaning over further.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=618&pictureid=85426

lapushka
October 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
You mean this? It's from the book, "Haircutting for dummies".
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

(BTW, here's a tip that's not in the book. If you separate the hair above your ears, and only gather that into a ponytail, you won't get as much layering, you'll skip layering your underlayer! Another tip. Take a strand of hair, from the ponytail (right in the middle, top of the crown), pull it down, pinch it to where you want the shortest layer. Pull it back up (keep pinching it) and you'll need to snip there and not further down.)

In the same book, they mention another method where the ponytail's positioned right at your hairline. This creates shorter layers in front.

I'm growing out my layers at the moment. The first method, if you pull all the hair into the ponytail, takes forever to grow out. It creates layers from about/above shoulder all the way to BSL. If you have longer hair, you'll have longer layers.

aisling
October 12th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Aisling, how do the layers affect your updos? Do the ends stick out all over the place? I'm wondering if having longer length and more skill with updos will make it easier to keep the ends tucked in.

My hair is so long that I usually have a good deal of tail that I hide anyway under any updo. Any shorter layered ends sticking out usually gets hidden this way.

anje, that works as well, I'm not sure the difference is that big in the end.

lapushka, I'm familiar with those instructions, I'm just thinking about posting an article here on LHC. Or do you think I shouldn't do that as those instructions already exist? :rolleyes:
Also, pulling your hair straight up as in the picture from dummies.com won't create much noticeable layering in a longer hair and is impossible to do by yourself with a hair as long as mine.

Oskimosa
October 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I had searched for an article about layering your hair before, but there definitely isn't one. Just the Feye's trimming method. There are videos on youtube.

If you don't want to trim any of your bottom layers at all, you can always do a half-ponytail and cut that. Personally, I found that these methods left my layers longer on the sides than in the back. I had to resort to a different, much more time consuming method but I am very happy with the results.

SimplyViki
October 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
My hair is so long that I usually have a good deal of tail that I hide anyway under any updo. Any shorter layered ends sticking out usually gets hidden this way.
Oh, yay! That's what I was hoping. I think I'll hang in there until I reach about your length, but I'll probably cut some layers back in using this method once I get there. :D

lapushka
October 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
lapushka, I'm familiar with those instructions, I'm just thinking about posting an article here on LHC. Or do you think I shouldn't do that as those instructions already exist? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I was only trying to help. :)

morecowbell
October 27th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Just had to chime in and say I love this! :cheese:
I used this method on my apl hair with awesome results:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/102720103.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/10272010.jpg

I put the ponytail on top of my forehead for more face framing layers, and I cut a little bit at a time to avoid choppiness.
My hair holds a wave/curl so much better now!
:cheese:

lapushka
October 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
It looks really cute on you!

Those compact cut techniques are really great for wavy, messy hair. Lots of volume in the right places!

I've tried both methods, and am currently growing out the ponytail-on-the-top-of-the-head method. Lots of layering, though with that one, even in the back, that's the downside. You get less shorter bits in the back (but shorter bits up front) with the other method, with the one you've used.

It looks great! :thumbsup: Makes me want to reconsider growing out my layers. :)

Bluebell
October 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I had to resort to a different, much more time consuming method but I am very happy with the results.

Different than mentioned in this tread? And what is your method if I may ask? :)

TinaDenali
October 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM
This is exactly how I cut my own hair. I started doing this in August and I've cut my hair this way three times now (once just this morning!!) and I love the look it gives.

When I did it the first time I cut only an inch at a time, afraid I'd chop into my length. But, while bending over, I grabbed a strand of my length from the nape and followed it down over my head to it's end and found I had a good 4 inches or more before I'd hit my length. So, the second time I cut it, I cut about two inches off. And just today I cut another inch or so. I think I've still got another 2.5-3 inches before I reach my nape hair ends, but I rather like to cut it inch by inch every few days so I can see how it appears dry before going at it again.

But, I really like the way the layers look with this method. I don't use the ponytail, however, I just bend over and comb all my hair over my head and secure it between my index and middle finger (like stylist's do when cutting hair) and snip away. Maybe next time I'll try the ponytail; I'm just worried it will somehow make some hairs uneven.

Does it work better to do this method with dry hair?

lapushka
October 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I always have someone cut it dry. My wavy hair's much easier to cut dry. Goes for layers, and blunt cuts. It is always combed, then brushed out for this purpose, though.

melikai
October 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for this aisling! I've been looking for a definitive explanation on cutting long layers for the last few days, and here your thread is! I just tried this, after separating off the lower part of my hair, and just trimming the section from my ears to the front. I was worried about losing length!

In any case, I really like it. I hope you put up an article, too, as it's handy to have and I'm sure would help a lot of people.

I love your hair and your hemline, so I'm hoping mine looks similar (although it's shorter). I'll try to take a picture soon.

sunshinecupcake
October 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM
love love LOVE this kind of layering! It's really flattering if you got that bit of wave in your hair. The best part about these layers is that they can be cut without eating into your length. Totally recommend this.

melikai
October 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I put a picture in my albums showing after I did the haircut. It isn't the best picture - my hair is a bit oily - but I really like the cut!

K_Angel
March 29th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Thanks, Aisling for giving these instructions! Just what I've been looking for! :flower:

Olivia23
April 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I was going to grow out my layers, but the front of my hair does not look good all one length. Since my hair is a little on the poofy side, when my hair is all one length, it looks like an A shape. I need to cut more layers again.

I posted on here about a year ago cutting layers in my hair using the ponytail method, and I started the ponytail on the top of my head. I ended up cutting my length too short because I kept messing with it because some of the layers did not look right. I am flat broke right now or I would go get my hair cut by a pro, but since I have no money, I am going to do it myself. I have been thinking about it for a while.

Another reason I want to do layers is to cut some of this henna out. I cannot decide if I want to go back to my original brown color or not. I love the henna but hate having to dye it every few weeks to cover up the roots. I wish there was an easier way to dye my hair.

One question though, when you pull all your hair into a ponytail on top of your head, do you need to first part your hair down the middle, or do you just brush it straight up into the ponytail?

morecowbell
April 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I was going to grow out my layers, but the front of my hair does not look good all one length. Since my hair is a little on the poofy side, when my hair is all one length, it looks like an upside down A. I need to cut more layers again.

I posted on here about a year ago cutting layers in my hair using the ponytail method, and I started the ponytail on the top of my head. I ended up cutting my length too short because I kept messing with it because some of the layers did not look right. I am flat broke right now or I would go get my hair cut by a pro, but since I have no money, I am going to do it myself. I have been thinking about it for a while.

Another reason I want to do layers is to cut some of this henna out. I cannot decide if I want to go back to my original brown color or not. I love the henna but hate having to dye it every few weeks to cover up the roots. I wish there was an easier way to dye my hair.

One question though, when you pull all your hair into a ponytail on top of your head, do you need to first part your hair down the middle, or do you just brush it straight up into the ponytail?

DON'T put the ponytail on top of your head! :shudder: I made that mistake the first time I tried this technique and it made for some strangely placed layers.
What worked better for me was to put the ponytail on my forehead, right in the center. (yes, you want it all going in the same direction into the ponytail, no parting)

Also, when doing the actual cutting, it helps to snip the hair a small amount at a time, otherwise you end up with choppy/chunky/weird layers... ask me how I know :rolleyes:. (and when cutting in layers, you might consider starting by cutting only a few inches at a time, to help you decide how long/short you want them)

What I do now to trim my layers is start with the forehead ponytail, and separate out a 1/2" section from the part of the tail closest to my face, clip/tuck the rest out of the way and trim that section, take out another section and trim that one, etc. It makes for a much cleaner end result.

Hope I wasn't too preachy, I just wish someone had told me all this before I did it the first time. :o
Good luck, I'd be curious/interested to see your results! :)

lapushka
April 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
DON'T put the ponytail on top of your head! :shudder: I made that mistake the first time I tried this technique and it made for some strangely placed layers.

I've had my hair cut like this lots of times (now growing the last layer out). The layers are a little choppy, chunky... wonky even, true, but it never bothered me. Those ponytail cuts are especially nice for real wurly, curly types, I guess. They get lousier the less wavy you are (and I'm only slightly wavy). I'm certain 1s are better off with a more accurate method.

I guess hairtyping matters even for something like this.

morecowbell
April 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I've had my hair cut like this lots of times (now growing the last layer out). The layers are a little choppy, chunky... wonky even, true, but it never bothered me. Those ponytail cuts are especially nice for real wurly, curly types, I guess. They get lousier the less wavy you are (and I'm only slightly wavy). I'm certain 1s are better off with a more accurate method.

I guess hairtyping matters even for something like this.

That's a very good point. :) Curly and wavy hair is much more forgiving when it comes to layers than straight hair is.
I just don't like the way a ponytail on top of the head places the layers, they're more all around the head, rather than focused on the front like it would be if the ponytail was on the forehead. I don't really like the look of short layers on the back of a head, it's strange :shrug:

Olivia23
April 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks morecowbell for the advice. I did cut it by brushing all my hair foward into a ponytail at my forehead. I just bent over and cut it. While the cut looked good after I took it out, I was wanting shorter layers, so I searched on YouTube and found some videos of girls cutting their layers different ways.

One way that helped me was after the first ponytail cut, I took it out and separated half the top of my hair into another forehead ponytail (Lol) and then cut straight across. That gave me shorter layers they look great!

I also used Feye's self trim method to trim the ends of my hair. Now my hair feels healthy again and when I comb/brush it I don't have all these hairs coming out. I guess the split ends were getting caught in my comb.

AMW
April 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Olivia ... thanks for the tip on making a second ponytail and then cutting straight across to get shorter layers .. I'm going to try that!!

intothemist1999
October 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
(BTW, here's a tip that's not in the book. If you separate the hair above your ears, and only gather that into a ponytail, you won't get as much layering, you'll skip layering your underlayer! Another tip. Take a strand of hair, from the ponytail (right in the middle, top of the crown), pull it down, pinch it to where you want the shortest layer. Pull it back up (keep pinching it) and you'll need to snip there and not further down.)

In the same book, they mention another method where the ponytail's positioned right at your hairline. This creates shorter layers in front.

I'm growing out my layers at the moment. The first method, if you pull all the hair into the ponytail, takes forever to grow out. It creates layers from about/above shoulder all the way to BSL. If you have longer hair, you'll have longer layers.

I've done basically what you outline here, and it works! My only complaint is that I guess I started the second pony too high up -- that creates quite a discrepancy between the length of the hem and the length of even the longest layers. On me, it looked like "taper" and I didn't like those thin ends. The pictures I'm looking at today, I notice you all have nice, thick ends still. I think what I'll do next time is part of an inch or two from the nape hair and separate that, but put the rest into a ponytail for layers (...and gradually work my way up my head? -- I want some shorter "layers", too, but might achieve what I'm after by playing with the U hem).

:)

That's how I did my first such layer cut, many years ago on shorter hair. It was baaaaad.