PDA

View Full Version : Why I can't make a bun?

summergame
October 10th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Well the title of my topic said enough, when i try to make a bun,my hair struggles and wave it outside the bun. For example, i made a bun,want to put a hairstick or 2 in it and my hair comes out of the bun in 2 seconds. My hairstick did not hold it at all. Do you think my hair is to short?

this is my hair now:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8899/1000160.jpg (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/1000160.jpg/)

Thank you for responding!

I've bought recently 2 Keyltos and the smal one did not fit at all in my hair, to small :(. The other one felt out of it, whatever I make.

lesbia
October 10th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Sometimes it happens also to me, when I do some buns (for example I can't do a figure 8 bun) and when I use some sticks (I can only use simply "straight" "linear" sticks, I wish you could understand...).
I'm sure that my hair stay when I do a lazy wrap bun or a celtic knot, or every easy bun...
I think you should practise and use bigger sticks (if your actual sticks is too small) (I think that best holding sticks are something like these.. http://www.manyhorses.com/store/GHD/teakwood10.jpg)
Good luck! :)

smileycat
October 10th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Look on youtube for hairstick tutorials. I found I was not inserting them correctly at all. Also, your ponytail circumference and hair texture (mine is on the ticker side of ii and super slippery) may have something to do with it. I still don't get the hairsticks in right with every attempt, but I keep practicing and trying different types of buns. Check out the following thread. The wrapped hairstick bun always stays in for me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55128

Also, maybe try a hairfork as well. I did not have nearly the learning curve using a hairfork as with the sticks.

brunette
October 10th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I do not think your hair is too short as you have similar thickness to mine and I could do a small bun at that length (small because the hair gets 'squeezed' into a tiny space when you bun it tightly enough to hold it in place) - so perhaps your bunning technique is too loose?

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
How are you wrapping it? If it's a bun where you're doing it round say three fingers, try doing it round one or two to make the bun that bit tighter. And do have a poke around youtube, too; Torrin has a vid on how to use hairsticks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE) which really helped me. :)

torrilin
October 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Probably the easiest bun to learn to anchor is one held in place with a scrunchie or hair elastic. It may not be neat or pretty, but you'll learn to get it to hold. It'll usually end up somewhere in the vicinity of a bee-butt or cinnabun. (some curlies and wavies can anchor this style off hair alone... my hair is too slippery for that. it's worth trying tho, because a lot of getting a bun to hold has to do with tension and balance.)

Next easiest is one held with hair pins. Same principle as a hair stick, but you can put in a helluva lot more pins without damage than you can sticks. Not all hair pins are created equal. The right hair pin for your hair will let even super slippery 1a/F hair hold up in a cinnabun with about 2 pins... but it takes practice to get the pins in correctly, and it takes a bit of hunting to find the right style of pin for your hair. As a kid, "beauty" books would say things like you use finer/smaller pins for fine hair, and heavier pins for thick hair. On my fine hair, the first pins to work were some VERY heavy and sturdy pins made for (of all things) one of K-marts teen fashion accessories brands. Pins like Goody's Spin Pins seem to work for a pretty wide range of hair types. (some of the folks around here with hair in the iv range or past waist need more than two pins all the time but for thinner/shorter hair, you can pretty much always get it down to two)

Once you've got the trick of hair pins down, it gets much easier to convince a hair stick to work. Like probably half the young women in my high school, I first learned to use a hair stick by sticking a pencil in my bun... but it definitely took some doing, and most of the time I preferred a scrunchy or pins. The pencil was last resort when my pins had fallen out of my hair. Pretty much no one would waste two precious pencils on her hair, since that would mean you were carting around an awful lot of pencils that you'd hardly written with.

Hair forks have never worked particularly well for me. If your hair is very straight and slick, you'll end up with a very dense bun. That means you need to have the bun firmly attached to quite a lot of scalp hair for stability... and with a lot of forks, the tines are quite thick, and there isn't a good way to weave them into densely packed hair. If you can anchor a bun off your hair alone, hair forks seem to be a lot easier to learn to use.

The big thing is practice tho. No one is going to get a bun to work on the first try except by brute force of throwing a gazillion hair pins at it. So don't feel bad if you have a couple months of your hair falling down.

summergame
October 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
How are you wrapping it? If it's a bun where you're doing it round say three fingers, try doing it round one or two to make the bun that bit tighter. And do have a poke around youtube, too; Torrin has a vid on how to use hairsticks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE) which really helped me. :)

Thank you for posting this! When i use 2 hairsticks my hair stays in the bun! :D But is a bit short I see now,there are some parts that doesnt want into my bun :)

For the other ones,thank you for sharing tips,i will look at the sites and give it a try :)

Anje
October 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think you've mostly got a technique problem here. Some ways of using hairsticks work better than others.

Try this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI)

LeaM07
October 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Braiding first before bunning really helped me when I was first learning how to use hair sticks. It gives you a chance to take the twisting and the holding (and the untwisting!) out of the equation long enough for you to get the hang of sticking a bun to your head using the implement(s) of your choice (getting the right amount of scalp hair without pulling, etc.).

Hold on to your small Ketylo, and after a bit of practice, you might still find a bun that wants it. Half-ups are a nice option too, for too-small sticks and buns that you don't have quite enough hair for yet. :)

Good luck! :flowers:

tinti
October 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
For starters you could try Solsara's stick style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roL-8kqQXOw
It's super duper easy, and it's the first stick style I learned. It's not a bun, more of a messy french twist, but it's securely, and damage free away from your face :)

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 11:35 AM
My hair is too slick for a bun I think. It comes right out with ease. I keep my hair in a simple ponytail. But you can try wrapping it a bit tighter? Of course, avoiding too tight to avoid damage.

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I cheat, I braid my hair and then make a bun with the braid. I just like to think of it like my hair need a little extra bondage to be happy. :P

summergame
October 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM
For starters you could try Solsara's stick style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roL-8kqQXOw
It's super duper easy, and it's the first stick style I learned. It's not a bun, more of a messy french twist, but it's securely, and damage free away from your face :)

I've tried this,i think i do something wron because it really hurts when i do it on this way. Its like someone pulls hair of my head :(

Emerald88
October 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I have a much harder time getting the Keyltos to hold my hair than straight sticks. Your hair is plenty long to put into a bun, so I agree with the others that you may just need to work on your technique. Have you tried using 2 claw clips (one on each side) to hold your bun? You could also try using hair pins to hold your bun (they would be hidden) and use the hairsticks as decoration more than for holding the style.

christine1989
October 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Your hair looks like it has a few layers and it also looks like it is pretty silky. It is probobly too slippery to hold well in a tight bun (and the layers don't help either). As it gets a bit longer it will hold better. In the meantime some spray or gel will help it hold.

Anje
October 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've tried this,i think i do something wron because it really hurts when i do it on this way. Its like someone pulls hair of my head :(
That sort of thing tends to pull for my hair, too. Attempt some of the other buns linked in the thread. Something may work for you.

BrightEyes7
October 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I had trouble doing buns with anything besides clips and hair ties really hard until I got closer to waist. Because most buns that hold well with sticks need a lot of length in my opinion