PDA

View Full Version : Can splits destroy the rest of your hair

Dragon
October 10th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Can splits destroy the rest of your hair if you dont get rid of them?

Neon Gloss
October 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
It's possible that the split can go further up the strand of hair. I think that it is very important to trim off any splits you find. Just ask me why my hair was 24" in 2008 and now it's 22".

KittyLost
October 10th, 2010, 03:01 AM
My knowledge of split ends is that they can travel up the hair shaft, stopping growth by causing the hair to break. So growing your hair it is good to get a trim every so often or S&D and tie your hair up to protect the ends from damage.
Even though hair grows from the top of your head it is the ends that are more susceptible to damage as they are older.

Igor
October 10th, 2010, 03:35 AM
What was said so far. Plus, don’t forget that splits causes tangles. Tangles needs to be handled. Any extra handling causes extra damage which eventually leads to new splits

lesbia
October 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Just ask me why my hair was 24" in 2008 and now it's 22".

That's shocking!!! shudder: let's S&D right now for me...

ktani
October 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Not as such, no. They can as has been said, cause havoc with other hairs and travel up the hair shaft. Destroy the rest of the hair is an exaggeration.

Themyst
October 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I think more than anything that if you have an accumulation of split hairs at the ends it can just start to look scraggly, since the ends will be thinner than the rest of your hair.

Miuku
October 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Might depend on the hair, but I've never actually seen them travel up the shaft.

ravenreed
October 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Mine will start moving up. I have found hairs that look like feathers on the ends. Plus they really do encourage more tangles which lead to more splits.

Buddaphlyy
October 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
IMO, no. I grew out a head full of split and damaged relaxed hair and it did not hurt my virgin hair in any way. I actually didn't get splits on my virgin hair until I started heat styling last year.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I believe that depends on how split-prone your hair is. Mine, for example, hardly ever splits so if i ever see a split, it's usually a mini one, it doesn't travel up too much.

jeanniet
October 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I don't get a lot of splits, but the ones I do get travel up. I S & D when I can, mostly to help keep my ends from getting tangly. But splits aren't contagious--it's just that fewer splits means the hair is smoother, less tangled, and easier to manage, which in turns means less splits are likely to develop.

akurah
October 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
My hair is waist length and FULL of splits, and still growing. Yes, splits are bad and will travel up the shaft and cause MASSIVE tangles, but they won't ruin your hair beyond repair nor are they likely to inhibit grow significantly. Trim them off if you can but don't panic over them.

Katharina
October 11th, 2010, 06:15 AM
My split ends definetly move up... they cause tangles, I comb trough the tangle ==> original (tangle-causing) split goes higer and some of the neighbour hairs split, too. So I am really trying to cut off all the split I see.

Anje
October 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
For me, tangles cause splits. And splits can cause tangles. That's how they appear to multiply in my hair, rahter than splitting higher and higher up the shaft directly.

ilovelonghair
October 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Detangling right now for s&d...

swivelhop
October 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Here is one traveling DOWN the shaft. They get creative sometimes.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6179&pictureid=85441

Chestershire
October 11th, 2010, 01:36 PM
how long does it take for a split end to travel up?

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Take a piece of string, split it, put it in your pocket or wallet, put a unsplit piece of string in there to. After a month combine the two, you will find that the split string have split more while the unspilt one often is just fine. It is the same with your hair, though it is rare for splits to travel so far up it damages all the hair, it can damage allot more than that tip unless it is trimmed or treated in some way.

nicolezoie
October 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM
In my experience, splits cause cluster damage, which in turn will make my ends grow uneven. Destroying ALL the hair is an huge exaggeration, but it can cause clumps of hair ends to go bad. I get both types of splits - the snake-tongues and the feathers, but the feathers are ALOT harder to spot since my hair is a mix of fine and medium strands - I mistake the feathers for finer hair strands. Another thing that splits can cause, at least for me, is breakage, which in turn mimics a stall because it seems like my hair is shrinking when it's really just breaking off at the splits.