PDA

View Full Version : Edwardian Hair Care

Petite Simone
October 9th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I thought you fellow LHCers would find this article quite interesting. It is the hair care routine of Mademoiselle Aline Vallandrie. Just look at her long hair! Her advice is quite similar to that which we give out here. Take a look!

http://edwardianpromenade.com/beauty/how-i-take-care-of-my-hair/

marikamt
October 9th, 2010, 11:54 PM
that was awesome!!! thank you for sharing!

TinaDenali
October 9th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Wow, that was very interesting! She has gorgeous hair. I just love the waves.

She has a great routine!! I love what she says about scalp massage.

christine1989
October 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Great article! It is amazing how we use the same techniques now as they did back then. It just goes to show that trendy "miracle hair treatments" don't work- the time tested advice is the best.

Heavenly Locks
October 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I'd love to know what "Brilliantine" is :)

Igor
October 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Huh. The idea of singing hair is this old? shudder:

I find it kind of funny she doesn’t agree with WO or much W in any case :wink:

Dragon
October 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

weatherwax
October 10th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Fascinating. Clearly brushing didn't hurt her hair. And that brilliantine--dry oiling and scalp massage! You're right, her routine is rather similar. Aside, of course, from the ointment of mercury and the singed ends.

The nun's secret hair potion sounds like nonsense, but I can't help but wonder what was in it!

Thanks for posting this. It's particularly interesting to realize how little of the science and terminology have changed over the course of the century. She sounds so modern.

Petite Simone
October 10th, 2010, 12:39 AM

From what I've read it was a pomade or "cream" that left the hair with a brilliant shine, much like our leave-in conditioners and shine serums today.

Petite Simone
October 10th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Fascinating. Clearly brushing didn't hurt her hair. And that brilliantine--dry oiling and scalp massage! You're right, her routine is rather similar. Aside, of course, from the ointment of mercury and the singed ends.

The nun's secret hair potion sounds like nonsense, but I can't help but wonder what was in it!

Thanks for posting this. It's particularly interesting to realize how little of the science and terminology have changed over the course of the century. She sounds so modern.

It's things like this that remind me every day why I LOVE history. The people were REAL, and articles such as this one bring the voices of the past to the present in a tangible way.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 10th, 2010, 01:11 AM
This article gathered all the LCH style hair care steps into one place, therefore it sounds perfectly normal -and beneficial for hair- on LHC. Thanks a lot for sharing it :)

In my opinion, articles like this "scare" non-LHC people away. Every woman in my family are concerned about their hair's health and hair loss and want to fix it. But when they read or hear about these healthy hair care routines it sounds like a lot of work to them (i can feel for them; it probably sounds like doing 100 crunches and 150 pushups every day :D ) So they just hang onto their "go-to-salon-and-get-everything-done-for-you" routine.

I believe that the main rule of having a healthy hair is to let it go. First of all, people should stop wanting someone else's hair. (=>going to the salon less, or never) They should let their hair air-dry on its own once, so that they can see the waves they've been straightening. They should be told to stop coloring to see what color they have naturally :) They can still wash their hair with shampoo, but this time with milder ones. After these steps, if they feel an improve in their hair, they can always look deeper into hardcore hair care- like oiling the hair, scalp massages and not washing hair too often.

Loreley
October 10th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Great article! Thanks for sharing!! :D

anodyne_ame
October 10th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Oh my goodness that's some impressive hair there.
I just eyed the article quickly and it seems real interesting, I'll take a moment to read it properly later.
Thanks for sharing!

marzipanthecat
October 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM
That was fascinating. Thanks for posting that.

I'm not so keen on her compound of mercury, though!

MonaMayfair
October 10th, 2010, 06:07 AM
That was SO interesting! Thanks so much for posting the article!

RachieBaby
October 10th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Thank you for posting! That was an interesting article :D

farewell_nancy
October 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I find it kind of funny she doesn’t agree with WO or much W in any case :wink:

Well with hair that long it would take two days to dry or something. I don't buy "washing with water is bad for hair" but it does significntly extend the amount of time it takes for your hair to be done. I've been playing around with a mister between washes to style and smooth things out without the epic drying time.

ktani
October 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Fascinating! Thank you for posting this. Brushing insead of washing hair is not something I would do though.

Mercury is very toxic and dandruff cure or not, it should be strictly avoided, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element).

Brilliantine is a generic term for liquid hair ointments, usually made from mineral and vegetable oils, http://books.google.ca/books?id=pHrX2-huQCoC&pg=PA505&lpg=PA505&dq=hair+growth+and+disorders+brilliantine&source=bl&ots=4vsPpsyHmB&sig=Iwtahuy_WvmQ-pjjKExCI_VKajQ&hl=en&ei=6rOxTID1G4OinAf6vaj7BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false.

Jezerellica
October 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
More fun vintage articles!! Thank you ! I love these! Did you look at the links too? I'm looking forward to spending some more time reading through them all later!

I can't imagine having my maid brush my hair for 30 minutes. I really love the feeling of somene brushing my hair. It would guarantee the start of a great day that is for sure!!

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Those things are bad – very bad.

I can totally imagine an LHCer posting about "hot irons" saying exactly the same thing. :lol:

growing2shine
October 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
[quote=Dreams_in_Pink;1290029]
First of all, people should stop wanting someone else's hair. (=>going to the salon less, or never) They should let their hair air-dry on its own once, so that they can see the waves they've been straightening. They should be told to stop coloring to see what color they have naturally :)
Exactly! I think that most people is to buisy making their hair look good that they never realise that their natural hair colour and type is beautiful and special. :) (But of course I totally respect personal choice. I know it's possible for many to have long healthy hair that is beeing dyed etc. My point is just that there is many people who dye their hair, and have been for many years, who forget how beautiful their hair is naturally (by their OWN opinion). This is at least my experience!)

And thank you for sharing Petite Simone, It's a really interesting article.

ktani
October 10th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I think everyone should celebrate their own hair in whatever way they choose. Hair envy is pointless unless one can copy a style or routine successfully without risking hair damage. Even so, personal choice rules for me.

If someone wants to colour, straighten, perm or shave their head, it is strictly their decision and I do not believe in others judging it. It is human nature for that to occur though. I do believe that people should be aware of product risks from legitimate, referenced sources. After that, one is on their own. There are gentle perms, and hair protectants. One can minimize conventional hair colour and lightening damage. Shaving one's head? Members have done that here to start the long hair growing process over again.

Honestwitness
October 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I looked googled Aline Vallandri and found another web site with the same article, almost word for word.

http://www.longhairlovers.com/circa_1912.html

However this one has a pic of a blond woman. Also, the author of this www.longhairlovers.com has another page in her own web site that disagrees with brushing 100 strokes, or at all.

http://www.longhairlovers.com/combsthatwontbreakhair.html

ktani
October 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hair brushing and combing are controvercial issues. There are techniques for proper brushing and "better" brushes to do it with. The same applies to combing hair.

arwenevenstar37
October 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
This is wonderful!!! thanks for posting :) I wonder how she manages to just brush and not wash...

kabelaced
October 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM
When the hair is washed, it should be allowed to hang down until it dries naturally in the air, as I do not believe in rubbing it with a towel or using hot irons for the purpose of driving off the moisture. Those things are bad – very bad. Hot irons ruin the hair.

This! I've never heard of this lady before, but her hair is gorgeous, and the article was absolutely fascinating! Great find, Petite Simone! :p

Diamondbell
October 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
This is wonderful!!! thanks for posting :) I wonder how she manages to just brush and not wash...

That would be a nice option! :) Wish I could do that. But at least after a week I have to wash hair, if not after 4 days.

Alvrodul
October 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
This was interesting! Thank you for posting the link! I air-dry myself, and like her consider heat (like curling irons or flat irons) to be the work of the devil.:evil:
I use combs and not brushes, though, and certainly nothing containing mercury! shudder:

Rivanariko
October 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I was very curious about her dandruff cure, as I have horrible dandruff myself, until the mercury bit, yikes!

I'm also curious what kind of brushes she used. Constant brushing of my fine hair... don't think that's going to result in thick luxurious hair for me! 30 minutes a day just on brushing seems like a lot though. I take maybe 5 minutes in the morning to detangle and bun up my hair.

ravenreed
October 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I don't think that excessive brushing is good for hair, and I am also not convinced that wetting hair is bad for it. I do agree with the clean brush thing, but I don't wash my brushes every day. I do it when they look dusty or after using them on very oily hair. I probably wash my brushes and combs at least once a week.

The whole mercury thing was pretty scary, but the truth is they did a lot of things back then that we now realize are not good for us long term. They did the best they could with the information available to them at the time.

princessp
October 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome, I wish I had a maid to brush my hair! :) I'd also like to know that secret recipe she got at the convent, I wonder if it was ever made public...

derrydown
October 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM

My grandmother always used Yardley Brilliantine on her hair, which I thought smelled wonderful and had the most beautiful green jar. It is still sold. Grandma also tinted her hair with tea. Her mother was an herbal nurse and used sage on her hair. She lived until she was 96 and always had long, thick chestnut hair. I still have some of the "rats" she made out of her hair.

http://www.smallflower.com/yardley/brilliantine-hair-pomade-80-g-pomade.html

Carol:blossom:

ktani
October 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
My grandmother always used Yardley Brilliantine on her hair, which I thought smelled wonderful and had the most beautiful green jar. It is still sold. Grandma also tinted her hair with tea. Her mother was an herbal nurse and used sage on her hair. She lived until she was 96 and always had long, thick chestnut hair. I still have some of the "rats" she made out of her hair.

http://www.smallflower.com/yardley/brilliantine-hair-pomade-80-g-pomade.html

Carol:blossom:

Can you please post the ingredients?

adiapalic
October 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM
What a fascinating read. Thank you! :flower:

Jenn of Pence
October 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Awesome, I wish I had a maid to brush my hair! :)

Yeah, if I had floor-length hair and a maid to brush it, I wouldn't find it onerous, either. ;)

Luckysock
October 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
http://edwardianpromenade.com/beauty/on-how-to-be-lovely-2/

Look at this article on the same site - see the image at the bottom of the 'false braid' has anyone ever tried to make on of these out of shed hair? how would you go about that ?

Shellby
October 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Fascinating site. Thanks for the link. I am enjoying reading all her posts.

squiggyflop
October 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
i want a maid to brush my hair every day.. im so lazy

Stagecoach
October 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I loved reading this! Thanks for sharing.

Hylia
October 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Her hair is gorgeous! I`ll be sure to follow her advice.

triumphator!
October 10th, 2010, 11:15 PM
"Hot irons ruin the hair. The woman who uses curling-tongs courts disaster. The heat dries up the natural oil which is supplied by the little oil glands at the roots of the hair and keeps it soft and moist. The result of tongs or of heat is to make the hair brittle, so that it breaks off short. It stands to reason that if you are constantly breaking the hair it will never get long."

Wow, from the mouths of Edwardians. :p

Othala
October 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I need a maid to tend my hair!

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I am jealous of that woman's hair, look at the length and the curls, it is just amazing. A woman could look like a hag and still be a beauty queen with such hair, it is just amazing. Thank you for sharing the article, it is very interesting.

picklepie
October 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I love to read about the history of domestic stuff like this-- gives a reassuring feeling that there are no absolute answers, we're all just trying to find our way... whether to long, beautiful hair, or anything else!

FrozenFlame22
October 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Very interesting! I've been seeing this in many different parts of my life recently, not just hair. The ways people have been doing things (in this case hair care) is generally healthier, easier, and less expensive than using modern "conveniences".

Kathie
October 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I really enjoyed that. Old english is so colorful and entertaining to read!!

Thanks for sharing :)

Annalouise
October 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM
That was my thought also.:) haha. Thanks for posting the article.

i want a maid to brush my hair every day.. im so lazy

I need a maid to tend my hair!

FoxRain
October 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Her haircare is very much like ours at LHC, especially the part about the "hot irons".
Though I'm not sure such excessive brushing is good for all kinds of hair. Different hairtypes require different methods. That's why some peoples hair on LHC loves cones and others' doesn't.
Anyway, interesting link. Thank you:D