PDA

View Full Version : Bangs/Fringe Part Styling Help

LisaB234
October 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have BSL hair and LOVE it - still growing inspired by everyone here. But I do have side swept fringe - I find it softens my updos. Anyway, when I see pictures of myself what I object to is the visible part that separates my fringe from my long hair. Maybe because I have darker hair and a very very pale scalp?

I know there will always be a separation/part, but is there any way to make it less obvious? A friend suggested I ask my stylist to cut MORE fringe, in a V shaped section instead of the current shape, which is straight across, following my hairline. All I can think of with that suggestion is the fringe I had as a little girl which went all the way to the back of my head - YIKES - don't want that again!

Ideas? Pictures? Experience? Please help!

Shimmy
October 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Bumping you up to the first page!

KristiLe
October 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Maybe do thicker bangs so that your eye will be drawn more to the bangs rather than your part/scalp. Or you could do the "pouf" with your bangs to soften your updos. :hifive:

LisaB234
October 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Shimmy. . . Thinking more about the fringe today while people watching and realizing my hair seems to want to go STRAIGHT down and when I pull it back I pull it straight back. . . Wondering if I can somehow style the fringe to go to the side. . . Maybe parting my hair and pulling it more "down" then back would help, too?

Hoping one of you has a better sectioning technique, too!

LisaB234
October 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
KristiLe - we must have posted at the same time. I may try the "pouf" - that would be instead of fringe, right? I think I've seen tutorials for that. . . Thanks for the suggestion - maybe I can even try it with my current hair!

Capybara
October 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Awh, I'm sure it's not as bad as you make it out to be :flower: I find a lot of pictures seem to emphasize my unflattering features, I'm sure it's fine in real life :)

Would it be possible to lace braid your fringe, with the edge of the braid hiding the part when you do up-do's? I really like the look of a dutch lace braid, or a rope lace braid that is twisted away from the face. They're super flattering IMO. Sweeping your fringe to the side may help, as well. I find my (chin length, blended, side-swept) fringe doesn't have this part, and I think it's because it's swept to the side. Hope you find a solution!

tinti
October 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hmmm, I have side swept bangs, but I just finger part it when it's damp, without pulling it down. I feel it blends better with the other hair when I do this, but the parts gets a bit messy.

LisaB234
October 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oh my gosh - I just looked up lace braids - how pretty! I've never done anything like that and I'm off to try! That would get hair out of my face and may help me if I decide to grow out the fringe.

Also, Capybara, thank you for the reminder that things look worse in pictures - I mentioned this to a friend tonight - we were talking about french braids, actually, and she said she'd never noticed my part being obvious. Maybe I'm being too critical. Or maybe it's just time for a change so I"m picking up "flaws."

And Tinti, I will experiment with how I handle my hair when wet. Next wash I will try brushing it all back and letting fall what may. . . I expect that would look really nice with my hair down, but may be a little fly away with my hair back - but I won't know until I try, so I'll try before staring my two week wait if I decide to cut more. . .

Thanks for the suggestions - please keep 'em coming!