PDA

View Full Version : Depressed about my hair

RockerChick
May 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Oh boy oh boy. I finally plucked up courage to go to the hairdressers again on the weekend and I came out looking hardly any different. In fact one of layers looks weird on the one side. £47 that cost me. Feeling very very down about it and about myself now y hair has been a sheer mess for 6 years. The hairdresser that used to cut it really nicely cut is last time but I just don't like it at all. Obviously am still trying to grow it, I made a point of telling him ot too cut anything of the length and in all fairness he didn't but besides that I don't look any different. Besides a frige that is too short and I have to sweep it off my face othrwise it just looks silly. Am so fed up. My self esteem is rock bottom after al these years of looking awful. Don't know what to do. Have been to countless hairdressers and non of them have been able to cut my hair properly.

frizzinator
May 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM
During my half-century, several times I've had shorter hair with layers. It seemed to me that every time a hairdresser would cut my long hair short with layers, it would look fabulous; however, there was no hairdresser who could it in layers again and make it look good.

I think it is much easier for the hairdresser to cut hair that has grown-out a good bit without much layering, in order to make a new layered haircut look wonderful. Otherwise, the hairdresser is limited in terms of what can be cut when there are already layers in the hair.

MoldyCake
May 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Life is a series of failures and frustrations, but eventually you find a hair dresser you like. :D

Bucatini
May 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
If part of it looks weird, go back and ask them to fix it. For that much cash it should at least be cut well...

girlcat36
May 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I have been depressed about my hair for most of my life, so I know how you feel. I finally stopped going to hairdressers a few years ago. I REALLY got tired of the ones who would try to drag a comb down the length of my dry curly hair(of course it would snarl and tangle up), guess they never heard of starting from the bottom. They always cut off all my new growth. It never occured to me that I could trim my own hair until I joined LHC. But I digress....
How about swearing off stylists and just letting your hair do what it will. Get lots of hair accessories to hide the really bad hair days.

suicides_eve
May 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
During my half-century, several times I've had shorter hair with layers. It seemed to me that every time a hairdresser would cut my long hair short with layers, it would look fabulous; however, there was no hairdresser who could it in layers again and make it look good.

I think it is much easier for the hairdresser to cut hair that has grown-out a good bit without much layering, in order to make a new layered haircut look wonderful. Otherwise, the hairdresser is limited in terms of what can be cut when there are already layers in the hair.

that has got to be the best explaination i have heard of this. it is so true!

Nat242
May 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm sure it's not as bad as you think it is, Rockerchick :flower: I've had a few bad haircuts myself, and a few awkward growing-out stages. The best thing I can suggest is to get your hands on some pretty headbands and scarves, cool clips, and any other tool that might work in your hair (depends on how long it is, really), and just keep it up, and try to forget about it. Before you know it, your hair is longer and easier to deal with, and the bad hair cut is gone.

Best of luck! :flowers:

-- Natalie

Shimmy
May 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
It'll get better! :grouphug:

Amara
May 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Definitely go back and show them what you're displeased with. They should be able to rectify it if they made a mistake.

I agree with just putting it up! If you've been feeling bad about it for so long, like you say, just get it up and out of sight! Imagine if you spent the next few years just ignoring it and then took it down and looked at your long, beautiful hair!

Curlsgirl
May 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Awwwwwwww, just wanted to stop in and give you a big hug! Are you by any chance trying to work against the natural state of your hair doing such things as trying to make it straight when it is really curly, trying to make it look like someone's cut that has a different type of hair. I may be way off but that is what I was doing and a lot of others here too, especially the curlies. I was never happy with my hair before because I wanted it to be something it just could not be. I was mad at the haircutter because she couldn't do it either! Finally when I started working WITH my texture instead of against it, I found the answer. I now mostly trim myself when I need it and let it dry naturally. It did take me a while to get used to it but now I LOVE it. Maybe this is not you at all but wanted to add it just in case. :)

Elenna
May 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Sometimes we need to just avoid hairdressers for a while and let the hair grow out. It is difficult, but eventually the hair gets long enough and in good enough condition to be workable. It all depends on your hair goals.

RockerChick
May 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hi thanks for the responses. I think my hair is plenty long enough to be workable, I let it grow out all his time for this purpose but no one seems to be able to cut it into any sort of a style, it just hangs there...the texture seems like the closet possible explanation. I have fairly wavy hair but it's sort of in between wavy, it's not really one or the other and I think stylists are trying to cut it into a style that suits straight hair. Plus it's tricky to blow dry because teh top few inche are poker stright and teh bottom curly. Not sure about going back to this one now because I'm nervous of him cutting too much off if I as for it to be re-done. Nothing much they can do about the fringe becuse I've had a look and it's too sho to be blended in. I reckon I will need to grow out for bout two weeks before it cn be blneded in. Oh the joys. I just want a decent hai cut. I'm not asking for much am I? Wht rally confusses me though is if he used to cu it exactly as I wanted it years ago why can't he do the same now?

Katze
May 27th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think you're learning something about your hair, what you want, and what you can (and can't) get from stylists.

As the owner of fine, thin hair that was damaged for years and years by bleach and heat, I constantly had stylists doing what they wanted to my hair. I had no idea I could, for example, encourage its wave and thus have more body. They ALWAYS blowdried my hair straight and put product in it to keep it that way - and it ALWAYS got a "mind of its own" the next day or the next time I washed it. Like yours, my hair is straight on top and, at times, very wavy underneath.

After a while I realized I wanted long hair, and I was NOT going to get it with the help of a salon. To be fair to hair stylists, I think most of them never learn about the different hair types or how to treat them, or what hair needs to grow long and healthy. I only ever got an inkling of this (long before I found LHC) from my former roommate, Charlene, who was black and transitioning to natural hair. Her comments about "our hair" and "African hair" got me thinking, and her suggestions about not brushing, using vinegar rinses and oil and shea butter opened up another avenue of hair care for me that I NEVER heard about in a salon.

Cutting your own hair DOES work, and wavy, or barely-wavy hair CAN be beautiful, and you CAN have pretty and healthy hair without trimming it or using lots of products. It's just a matter of finding out what works for YOU.

All of this soapboxing is just to say that you've come to the right place and hopefully can find what you are looking for even if people give you too long-winded answers. :D

welcome, and hope you feel better about your haircut and your hair.

peace

Katze

RockerChick
May 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Katze

I guess you're right it's all about learning about my own hair. I find hairdressers sdo that with e too, strighten it prefectly by blow drying it u there's no way I can do it myself. If I do within 15 minutes teh curl springs back into it again. Do you actually cut your own hair now then? if so how? Cheers!