PDA

View Full Version : what has been your biggest gamble.....

jojo
October 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM
with your hair?

For me it was taking the bull by the horn and trimming off 1.5 inches of bad ends. My hair was breaking rather than gaining length. Although id reached waist and loved the length for me healthy looking ends are more important. I trimmed on the 18th September back to 28 inches and it has really paid off as I am already back to 29 inches, which for me is pretty amazing.

Anybody else have any hair gambles, which have paid off positively for your hair?

HintOfMint
October 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Every time I go for a bang trim, it's a gamble for me. I've had some that turned out perfect, some that turned out too short and/or blunt, even when it was cut by the same person who has done my bang trims before. I just had a bang trim done on a walk-in and it was my first time even meeting this person. It turned out pretty well, even though it was shorter than what I had wanted.
It's a gamble I don't mind taking though.

PineappleJello
October 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I agree with the bang thing. Luckily they are short so if too much gets chopped off it doesn't take more than a week or two to grow out :)

JenniferNoel
October 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Deciding to cut out damage in big chops versus slowly with trims, trust me, it's been worth it.
And henna. Henna was a well-won gamble for me.

TinaDenali
October 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Oh, yes. About two months ago my old indigo ends started turning green, so I decided I'd self trim. I was SOO scared, but I found a great method (the pony-tail method, but I didn't actually put it in a pony tail, lol). I did it for the first time and only trimmed a bit, then let my hair dry and assessed. Once I saw that it wasn't eating up my length and was doing just what I needed, it trimmed again, taking a bit more. I did this about five times until I got my desired result! I did end up just dyeing my hair a whole new color because the green was too far up, I wasn't prepared to cut that much off. Want pictures? :)
Before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5276&pictureid=79219
After:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5276&pictureid=84978

I think it looks much better :D BUT - I was VERY scared to cut it the first time, I was so afraid I'd royally screw it up, but it looks great!

jojo
October 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM
TinaDenali your hair does look very good and your gamble paid off well.

I remember too well the bang/fringe gamble too, thats why when I had them I used to do them myself, though I remember a time my daughter sneaked behind me and made me jump; I ended up with a fringe an inch or so above my eyebrows....not such a good gamble that time!

KristiLe
October 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I just started MN today! Just a test area on my scalp first just to make sure nothing crazy happens. Hopefully it will pay off majorly! :D

Kristin
October 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Henndigo. Definitely. Such a commitment, but it is making my hair softer, thicker, and shinier. In fact, I have some on my head right now. :)

MissManda
October 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I think self-trimming has been my biggest gamble. I've been trying to slowly cut out what's left of the chemical damage in my hair as well as having to spend hours doing S&D. I can't wait until my layers, bangs, and damage are all gone!

Self-trimming has helped even up my hemline and my hair doesn't tangle as much. I was terrified to start self-trimming because I was terrified that I would mess up and make my hair look bad, but I think I have been doing a good job on it. I am also happy because I've discovered that I don't have nearly as many split ends as I thought I did.

I'd like to see how long I can go without going to the hairdresser while keeping my hair looking good.

pepperminttea
October 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Probably two 2" self-trims to get rid of most of my layers. The first trim was my first time doing it myself and I was terrified I'd mess up. As it happens, my hemline did end up a bit uneven (though it nevertheless had the desired effect on my ends), but after trim number two (ten months after the first) it's now just about blunt. :)

christine1989
October 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I chopped abot 6 inches off when I decided to start growing my hair out. The ends were in ok condition I could have probobly gone with just 3 inces but the fresh start was nice. Now it is well past where it was originally and in better condition.

jojo
October 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I think although its hard to cut off like 3 months growth, it very rarely has a negative outcome, apart from the lost length. I do find once damage from the ends has gone, hair retains length much better. Its what I have found anyway, although cutting does not make hair grow quicker, in a way it does as the healthier the ends are, the more length is retained.

Some good gambles, keep em coming!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I hadn't cut my hair in 1.5 years. After some point, uncut hair starts to feel somewhat thin (also considering the layer-thinning job i got at a salon way back) so i gave in and trimmed very little. I was too scared, but the end result looked great :)

I must add that none of the other gambles ended up good.

Sunsailing
October 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Several years ago, I went through a big shedding period. My ends were not as thick as I like them to be, so I had about 5 inches taken off!
It looked better, and all grew back to my standard thickness.

Speckla
October 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Henna. Very permanent and harder to change unlike box dye.

desertgirl
October 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
my biggest gamble was about 4 years ago when I chopped from just shorter than BSL to a short bob. It looked cute with the first cut, but every time I went for a hair cut after that I left looking like the stylist! It didn't matter what I said or how my hair worked with my face, they would cut it like theirs.
I decided that dealing with stylists was too much for me and started growing it long again (about an inch past BSL!)

Nocturnal
October 11th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Henna for obvious reasons. Visits to hairdresser is a gamble as well.

swivelhop
October 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM
The biggest gamble I did was bleaching it blonde at tailbone. It worked, somehow, despite my ignorance.

MandyBeth
October 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Dying my hair. PPD burned my scalp and henna and I do not agree - dye resistant hair, scalp being hyper sensitive and too light natural to get the dark cherry shade. Now I have to grow the mess out. Also anything with a lot of salt, I get major shed.

squiggyflop
October 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
well.. i dont call 1-2 inches a gamble.. ive trimmed off more than 22 inches in the 3 years ive been a member..
i think henna was the biggest gamble

MandyBeth
October 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Oh and good gamble - joining LHC! My hair couldn't be happier :cheese:

Xi
October 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm kind of a coward... Haven't taken many risks when it comes to my hair.:o I'd say my biggest gamble was doing an SMT (I was worried about the honey lightening my hair) -- not surprizingly, it turned out well.;)

anemix1005
October 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
TinaDenali your hair does look very good and your gamble paid off well.

I remember too well the bang/fringe gamble too, thats why when I had them I used to do them myself, though I remember a time my daughter sneaked behind me and made me jump; I ended up with a fringe an inch or so above my eyebrows....not such a good gamble that time!

I used to cut my bangs too until one day I did it and accidentaly I cut my eyebrows too n___n' I ended up with Spock's eyebrows, the bangs were good tough .. :p

angelfell
October 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I took a gamble getting my hair permed. I lost D:<!

Capybara
October 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Oh and good gamble - joining LHC! My hair couldn't be happier :cheese:
True that! :yes:

I haven't really taken many gambles with my hair. Other than at-home highlighting kits ... :rolleyes:

jojo
October 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
well.. i dont call 1-2 inches a gamble.. ive trimmed off more than 22 inches in the 3 years ive been a member..
i think henna was the biggest gamble
it isnt if your supersonic growing squiggy!!! for me 2-3" equalled a years growth, your so lucky having such fast growth. for me since joining in 2007 i have grown like 10 inches and probably cut 4" off in that time! I agree Henna is a big gamble but a good one!

jojo
October 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I took a gamble getting my hair permed. I lost D:<!

well your hair is beautiful now and thats all what matters xx