PDA

View Full Version : Help! I am a ball of fuzz!

weatherwax
October 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
So, last night I oiled my hair. This morning I washed it out. Rather to my surprise, the oil came right out. (Thanks, whomever suggested applying conditioner first). My hair is soft and shiny, just as I hoped.

HOWEVER, upon air-drying, I have MAD FRIZZ. Like I have never seen. My hair is straight and fine, and though it does tend to grow a fuzzy halo in humid weather, it's dry here right now.

What gives? And what can I do about it, short of a blow dry? Right now, I look like Chewbacca.

RadiantNeedle
October 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM
ACV rinse?

teela1978
October 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Are you sure your hair is straight? Frizz is usually a sign of brushed out waves/curls.

weatherwax
October 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Funny you should ask. I guess I don't look at the back of my head often enough.

It has more wave than I thought, but I have never seen that wave behave. It's not regular or pretty or anything. It just looks, well, it's sort of standy-outy and frizzy without having a visible "S" shape, if that makes sense.

JenniferNoel
October 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
It's probably never done any special tricks for ya because you haven't let it, as in, do you brush/comb often or use any other things like silicones that could be disturbing your natural wave pattern? If so, that could be the culprit here.
If not, what oil did you use?

HintOfMint
October 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
That happens to me too. I have done heavy oilings with coconut oil before a wash and invariably I have frizz after. Usually a leave in conditioner or a light oiling combined with damp bunning takes care of the frizz.
It took me a while to figure out that heavy oilings were not for me.

weatherwax
October 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I'd love for that to be true! Since I always thought of it as pretty straight, I may not have let it develop its wave. I comb wet and brush dry; not obsessively, but when I wash and when I get up in the morning.

After Teela1978's suggestion, I spent a lot of time looking at my hair. What I saw was a lot of mostly straight hair with a loose, loose S-wave. But sprinkled throughout, especially on top, are a whole lot of individual curly hairs. Some are open, and some are really kinky! They don't have enough curly neighbors to make actual curls, though. I guess I thought that was the definition of frizz. Does that sound to you like I could get a nice pattern by treating it differently? I'm very open to suggestion.

Hint of Mint, I did use coconut oil! On my scalp I had bhringraj oil in a sesame base, and I tried coconut for the length. It's frizzy both places.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and suggestions.

torrilin
October 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'd basically thought for forever that my hair was stick straight too. Then I started experimenting with CWC and just finger combing my hair and a teensy bit of oiling with jojoba (since a lot of straighties seemed to like it) Voila. Turns out I am at least a 1b, and if I can keep my hair moisturized enough and handle it less, it might be more like 1c or maaaaaybe a 2a.

Figuring this out in my mid thirties certainly has worked wonders for making me feel dumb :). But going super-gentle has also worked wonders so my hair is not really tangling any more. Since the snarls my hair could form tended towards the epic battle... I'm not too miserable over the change.

I've been pretty careful with dry oiling. Oils tend to form a moisture barrier, so if your hair or skin is wet, they can seal in moisture. If your hair or skin is dry, it can seal out moisture. Since both my hair and skin have always leaned towards MOREMOREMORE with moisture, I'm reasonably sure heavy dry oiling would really upset my hair. A heavy oiling when my hair is wet seems to work ok. Oiling after a SMT would probably be my hair's idea of heaven.