PDA

View Full Version : Styling in a photoshoot - need help with curly hair =)

Little_Bird
October 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hi everyone =)

So I was invited to participate in a photoshoot, which will happen next week, as a hair stylist. The photographer is a friend of mine and she knows about my passion for long hair care and styling.

My problem is, the model that's going to be photographed has very curly hair, and I am not sure I can be as successfull with it. Still, my friend told me she wants something rather simple. Just the natural texture and an up style that would show off her neck.

She told me she wants to work with the volume. Now it would look great if I could enhance the volume of the girl (she has about waist lenght hair I guess). Also, for the upstyle I'd like something with height and volume, kind of high fashion.

So I'm calling for all the curly haired people to give me some hints on how to do all that, and also for which products I can apply, such as oil, maybe taking a water spray with me?

Thank you so much, hopefully someone can instruct me on how to make this successfull =)

:flowers:

ETA:

I might add as well, now that I'm looking at her pictures again, that she has African genes. She has black skin but her hair doesn't seem as textured. She's got some pictures with african people who I assume are her family so...

Yes, she might have textured hair. My, now that's something I never had experience with... Help? :rolleyes:

manderly
October 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Well, I know that a peacock twist looks fabulous in my curly hair. It's like it was MADE for curls. It basically puts all the curls on the top of your head creating volume, showing off the curls, getting it off your neck, and it just looks awesome IMHO. :)

You can then decorate with whatever you like - a huge flower, a grecian style headband, a scarf, feathers, etc, or leave it plain and simple (I hold mine with a ficcare :))

Little_Bird
October 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'll be looking for that syle Manderly, thank you =) I think i have stunbled upon it once on the articles section...

Any more hints everyone? I could really use a hand here... Thank's :D

torrilin
October 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Can you get the model's contact info? It might be a good idea to ask her what her routine is, since she's got waist length hair and presumably has some strategies that work.

Little_Bird
October 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Torrilin, that's actually a good idea, thank you =)

Too bad si few people steped in to give me a hint... Oh well.

RitaPG
October 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I'm not curly, nor textured, so I'm not sure what that means, but Teri LaFlesh has some cute tips on her bridal page http://www.tightlycurly.com/photos/bridalcurls/ Flowers always look good on hair, unless she doesn't like them :p
Hope that helps.

Thinthondiel
October 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I don't have curly hair, but I found this site: http://hubpages.com/hub/Curly-Hair-Updos

I really like the updo in the first video on there. :)

Gabriel
October 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I don't have curly hair however the actress Indra Ové has the most stunning curls that always strike me and remain memorable in my mind whenever I see her in any movie.

I can't find any still images of her, sadly, however you can find some movies with her in them on YouTube to get ideas.

She was in Interview With a Vampire and her up do there might be something you can use for your model. (Be advised the scene she's in is most definitely not "safe for work" but her hair is stunning.)

She was also in a made for TV version of Cleopatra and her hair is great in that movie as well.

Julia Ormond and Nicole Kidman images and movies from their younger and much curlier days might have some ideas as well.

Little_Bird
October 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Thank you everyone =) Some of the images on those sites are really inspirational and they kinda resemble her hair too :D

Thank you! ^^