PDA

View Full Version : My hair type at longer lengths?

Rini
May 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
This is my second time around with the growing journey. I joined here about 2 1/2 years ago with hair the length it is now (over that time it grew to BSL and then I cut it back to shoulder length after going through a drastic colour change). So anyway, I'm back to square 1 I guess you could say.

My hair has always been of two wave patterns: the top has always been closer to 2a and the underneath closer to 3a. However, I am noticing that this time around the top is much straighter and the bottom MUCH curlier (1c top, 3b bottom). I'm not sure why this is and I'm not too worried about the cause. What I am worried about is how it's going to look when it's long!

Right now it looks pretty weird when it's down, so I wear it up all the time. The top layers hang down over the bottom layers and make the ends appear thin. There is no hair showing underneath the ends of the top layers as the underneath layers are all sprung up in tight ringlets making it look shorter than the top layer. I'm not intending to trim as it all seems in rather good condition.

My question is (yes, I'm getting to it!) to those who have a multi-typed curl pattern, how does it look when it's longer? Does it even out a bit? At what length did it start to look decent when down? I'm hoping the 3b bits will drag down longer from the weight and the straighter bits might start to wave/curl a bit more. Otherwise I'm doomed to half-ups! :eek:

DMARTINEZ
May 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
HI Rini!
Is there any way you could scrunch or encourage the top layer to wave or get
more of a wave to it? I find my sides are a bit less wavy than the underneath and
back parts of my hair. Im not much help,as my waves are crazy also! ;) I just cut
4 inches off trying to get more wave, which it did, but its also harder to updo now,
Duh me. Anyhoo, your hair looks great the new color. And dont fret over the
wave differences. Work with your hair and go with the flow! :flowers: Good to see
you post!

Deb

anna1850
May 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I have mixed type hair. Around shoulder length and shorter I get major triangle head problems, but when it gets about halfway between APL and BSL it seems to settle down a bit. I'm now around waist for the first time ever and I'm the happiest I've ever been with it.

I used to worry about not having curls on top, then I managed to get some using the plopping method and it just didn't suit me at all. I'm really happy with mix. I've never had any layers though so I think they could affect things quite a lot.

Teacherbear
May 26th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I've catagorized myself as a 2b/2c type gal. The picture in my siggy is my hair airdried, but brushed before the picture. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of my hair totally airdried without brushing/combing (except just after stepping out of shower.

Hope that helps.

spidermom
May 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I knew a woman who had exactly what you describe -- nearly straight hair at the top and crown, curly hair underneath. When it was all one length it looked pretty weird. When she had it layered it looked a lot better. I never saw it longer than shoulder length, though.

I've got crazy mixed up hair, but it's all over my scalp; straight strands lie right next to curly strands which are right next to wavy areas; it's a real mess, especially when short. Length has helped.

Tabitha
May 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I knew a woman who had exactly what you describe -- nearly straight hair at the top and crown, curly hair underneath. When it was all one length it looked pretty weird. When she had it layered it looked a lot better.

That's my solution - my canopy is probably 1c, and the hair below is nearer 2c. Layers and half-ups are my friends. Oh and like Anna1850, at shoulder and above, I am a pyramid-head.

maskedrose
May 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm all mixed up too :) Mine's almost exactly how you describe - 2a canopy and 2c/3a curls on the bottom. Length definitely does help (shoulder was the worst - pyramid central!), and I've found that if I gently seperate and loosen the bottom ringlets as it is drying it looks much better, otherwise the bottom will form 4 or 5 "ringlet dreads" as I like to call them. I'm growing out my layers, and I think having it all one layer will encourage the two to mix a bit better!

Riot Crrl
May 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
When my hair was longer (waist/tailbone) and all one length, it was definitely weighed down more evenly than it is now (a little longer than BSL with layers). I always had some degree of uneven shrinkage when it dried, but it was a lot less so when my hair was heavier. Of course that meant I had no where near as much curl, though.

Rini
May 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the responses girls :flower:

Hi Deb :waving: The last time I grew my hair, I could definitely get more curl out of the top layer with scrunching, but this time it seems to be so much straighter. I'm thinking it may be temporary though as I did damage it some when I changed the colour (although most of the worst has been cut off). I live in hope that as it grows in some more, it will increase in wave.

anna, I'm a pyramid head too :(

Teacherbear: interesting you mentioned brushing. The first time around, brushing would even things up a bit for me. This time around, it just makes it worse. The bottom layers are REALLY stubborn and set in their ringlets, even when combed or brushed.

Spidermom, heartening to hear that length does help with the appearance :)

Tabitha, half-ups are the only way for me right now, but I am hoping I can one day wear it all down.

maskedrose: the "ringlet dreads"...yes!! :doh: That is what I have. They all clump and join together, twining around into the ringlet next to it. What is up with that?:shrug: I'm growing out my layers too, so let's hope it helps!

Riot Crrl: you give me hope....I'm happy with less curl, as long as it is even. Just another reason to grow it long.

Curlsgirl
May 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hey Rini! :) Straight at the top and then getting curlier is classic 3a. Mine is like that. I really like the look myself though. I like that my bangs that frame my face straighten easily ( don't even have to straighten them now) and then it gets curlier as it goes down and like you said much curlier underneath. I too had pyramid head VERY badly at shorter lengths but I have let it grow to one length. I just find I like it better that way. The blonde is probably something that straightened the canopy too because that definitely used to happen to me. This time I got highlights and it didn't do it nearly as much. Also I knew what to do too. You probaby already know this but moisturize the heck out of that part especially to get it to return to more normal texture. Up with BLONDES!!! :cheese:

Rini
May 27th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Hi curlsgirl :waving: I was wondering when you'd pop in :D

Yes, I am VERY happy with the blonde. No second thoughts there at all :) I do think it is a little to do with condition on both counts: ie, the top is straighter and the bottom is curlier. The henna was straightening it out quite alot, so the overall look was a more relaxed wave. Now that there is no henna, the difference in patterns is very marked!

I am moisturising my hair ALOT and have been ever since the "process" (as I now like to call it!). I'm pretty much resigned to wearing it up 100% for about a year, but it is nice to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I'd be pretty happy if it ended up looking kinda like yours :inlove:

Curlsgirl
May 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Hi curlsgirl :waving: I was wondering when you'd pop in :D

Yes, I am VERY happy with the blonde. No second thoughts there at all :) I do think it is a little to do with condition on both counts: ie, the top is straighter and the bottom is curlier. The henna was straightening it out quite alot, so the overall look was a more relaxed wave. Now that there is no henna, the difference in patterns is very marked!

I am moisturising my hair ALOT and have been ever since the "process" (as I now like to call it!). I'm pretty much resigned to wearing it up 100% for about a year, but it is nice to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I'd be pretty happy if it ended up looking kinda like yours :inlove:

Awwwwwwwww how sweet! You definitely made my day! I have always admired your hair and am anxious to see it as it progresses to longer lengths! :crush:

Babyfine
May 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Rini- my hair is also between 1c and even 2c in some places.
My hair is very fine and thin, so I've never had Pyramid hair- I actually LIKE
pyramid, big hair- maybe it's part of my thick hair envy!!
A lot of my underneath layers are very smooth and sleek and fine, and have very loose waves, in the order of 1c or maybe even 1b. Most of my hair is 2a but on both sides of my hair towards the front I actually have a couple of spiral ringlets that sometimes appear if they are properly moisturized, but just a couple . the top is straight to the ears except for the front hairline halo where the (dyed) greys come in. My greys are very curly, so far(I'm only 10% grey) I classify myself as a 2a because I'm really just a wavy and I have a lot of straighter hairs. I do get major frizz in humidity.
I used to perm my hair back in the day as it gave me both volume and a uniform curl, especially on top. But I'm glad I quit that- my hair is so much healthier now.
But now I'm trying to love my own hairtype. My hair looks unkempt and messy all the time down- but I think that's because it's SO fine as well, it needs more weight.- and the waves sometimes clump together so I'm always trying to comb it out when it's down.
I've thought a lot about henna in place of the demi=perm color that I do now(to cover greys)- but have been hesitant for the reasons you and others have mentioned- I don't want my hair to get straighter. The wave and curls give my uber- fine hairat least some volume.
I try to do CG except I still shampoo- I tend to get dermatitis.
I use aloe vera gel to support and define my waves, and give my hair some weight. My hair is APL BTw, and blunt cut mostly(above my stylist's objections)