PDA

View Full Version : wedding hair

Ranee
May 26th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hi guys,

I'm getting married on friday this week and I have a question.
I,ve been silicone free for quite a while now. I havent used any heat styling for two years now. However, the stylist who's doing my wedding hair uses a straightening iron. Is it wise to use silicones for this? I mean, for protection from the heat?

florenonite
May 26th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Congratulations!

I'd say that yes, you do want to use some kind of heat-protectant, and most of those do contain 'cones. If you clarify afterwards you shouldn't suffer any ill effects from it.

Miss Murphy
May 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Congrats on the wedding!

I do believe that your hair will not suffer tremendously if your hairdresser uses cones and heat styling tools just this once.

Like floreonite said, do a claryfiying afterwards. Oh, and make sure she doesn't tease your hair.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll be fine and look great :)

(Did I mention we wanna see pics of your hair ;))

Ranee
May 26th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Thanx!

She will be teasing it somewhat. But only at the top of my head to create some lasting volume, so the rest of my hair should be fine. I'm going to do a deep treatment the day after with conefree condish and parhaps cut an inch off. I will post some pitures this weekend!

Saranne772
May 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Congratulations!! :) Be sure to post some pictures of it :D

brok3nwings
May 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Congratulations on your wedding! It is SUCH a special ocasion :)
Yes if i were you i would use a protector with cones...there are a lot in the market and they will prevent damage. I know this is a special ocasion but wouldnt the hairdryer do the same job as the iron? I used to straight my hair in the hairdresser only with the hairdryer and it did a great job. At least ask for the lower temperature. Normally they have a regulator....before LHC i used to use sometimes an iron and i would put it at a medium temperature, but if i knew what i know now i would have used the lower (and again, just really special ocasions)

kimki
May 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Congratulations! Remember we all want pictures! :D

Haith
May 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Oh, congratulations! I'm sure that we are ALL so happy for you. But please, please remember to show us some pics!

As for your hairstyle: I like to say, "It won't hurt if its just once in a while". This is true for most things... especially chocolate consumption.

Shermie Girl
May 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Congratulations! :flower:

Since it is your wedding day, I would say, go all out. It is just for the one day and a few nice deep treatments will take care of any stress your hair feels. Just think about how fabulous you will look in your pictures and walking down the aisle.

Cone products will help to reduce the stress from heat styling on your hair. They will allow a flat iron to slide more easily and smoothly and give you wonderful shine. But don't expect them to "protect" your hair from the heat. No product on this planet can do that... Unfortunately. :)

Have a wonderful wedding day and be sure to post pics of your 'do. :D

BittSweetCherry
May 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Taken from The Beauty Brains website (April 29th entry) with my emphasis:

"Blow dry damage can be prevented by using products containing glycerin and propylene glycol because these actives retard water evaporation. Products like Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray should be helpful in this regard. You can also look for an ingredient called “hydrolyzed wheat protein polysiloxane copolymer,” which also showed significant reduction in cracking. Interestingly, while we would expect various silicones to have a similar effect, this study showed that silicones alone did NOT reduce cuticle cracking.

Iron damage can be reduced by using conditioners formulated with low molecular weight conditioners that can penetrate into the hair like cetrimonium chloride. Another study (see Reference 2) showed that exposing hair to heat in the presence of such a conditioning agent actually caused an increase in tensile strength (the force required to break a hair). This is because the heat reacts with the conditioning agents and cross links some of the protein chains inside the hair. Look for products like Sunsilk Heat Defense Cream if you want this effect."

Sources: Does heat protectant help hair? (http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/06/25/beauty-q-a-does-heat-protection-help-hair/)
How to protect your hair from heat damage (http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/) <== quoted

Hope that helps, and best of wishes on the big day!

Ranee
May 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanx y'all! Such great advice from everyone :)
I have a leave in condish containing propylene glycol, protein and glycerin. I had no idea it helps prevent cuticle cracking! Cuticle cracking... the word alone makes me shiver....

Haith: I totaly second what you said about chocolate consumption :D

Florida Mom
May 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Congratulations! Have a wonderful and memorable day - and definitely post pictures!

Ranee
May 31st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hi guys,

Our wedding was fantastic! :cheese:
People were right when they said that the wedding day is probably the most beautifull day of your live. :D
I'd love to post some pictures, but I don't know how to.... Would somebody please explain how to?

Saranne772
May 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well if you open a photobucket account and upload them there. Then get the IMG code and paste it in the reply box here :)