PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, which is better?

Charlotte:)
October 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
In your opinion, which is better?

A) Oiling your length of hair, letting it soak in all night, and then washing it out with a tiny bit of SLS shampoo the next day.

or

B) Not oiling your hair, but also not using any SLS shampoo on the length.

jojo
October 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I oil my ends lightly on a daily basis and do an overnight oil once a week. I also use a Sulphate free shampoo bar but a coney conditioner which works well for me.

You need to experiment which is best for your hair, my hair is so contrary it changes what it likes as often as I change my knickers!!

DrkAngel
October 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I get my overnight oiling out the next morn with watery cone-free conditioners. The oil comes out with no need to use sulfates. :)

ETA: Mind you I use coconut or jojoba oil. Never tried it with heavier oils like EVOO or Canola.

pepperminttea
October 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I do something similar to with method A, but I use the sulphates for the hard-water build-up, not oil. And I do love a bit of oil, my hair behaves so much better with it.

Carriegirl
October 8th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I would do oil - it is so nice on hair - and wash with a gentle no-SLS shampoo. I use a natural baby shampoo and just wash once or twice and have no problem (this is after i condition first too, which i think helps remove some of the oil).

AstrayStar
October 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I haven't used shampoo in like 3 years, but am in the process of changing up my routine, so lately after I do a heavy oiling, I follow it with an smt and oh does my hair love that!

FrannyG
October 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM
In my opinion, neither option is the better option. I think the best option is to oil daily, even heavily at times, and wash it out with conditioner.

I've always found that conditioner removes excess oil far more easily than shampoo. The trick is making sure that your hair is really saturated with water, that you use a lot of conditioner (just use a cheap brand), that you leave the conditioner in for a few minutes, and that you rinse for as long as possible.

teela1978
October 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I vote daily SLS :)

silverjen
October 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Try both and see what works for you. Not only is everyone's hair different, but we're using different water, shampoo, etc. For instance, CO works great for a lot of people, but was a failure for me. But shampoo bars were a roaring success. The only way to know is to try.

LoversLullaby
October 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Neither. :)
What I do is heavily oil the length, and then wash it out using the C-COW-C method (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19783) with Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry for the first C (cone and sulfate free), Trader Joe's Refresh for the shampoo (cone and sulfate free), and Trader Joe's Refresh conditioner for the third C.

You definitely do not have to use SLS to remove oil from your hair. :)

excentricat
October 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
My hair prefers the oil and wash.

RitaPG
October 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I do something similar to A.
I oil the length and let it soak at night, and then wash the scalp with shampoo. I don't need to wash the length, most of the oil is absorbed overnight, and whatever was left is washed out with conditioner. I rotate between sls and sls free shampoo, and they both work fine to get rid of oils honestly.

Carolyn
October 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
A little shampoo isn't going to hurt IMO. Or I should say it isn't going to hurt my hair. I oil quite often and remove the oil very successfully with a CO wash.

jeanniet
October 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I oil my ends daily, and do a heavier oiling before a CO wash. I don't see a problem with using shampoo, but you probably don't really need it to get the oil out.

McFearless
October 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Oil your hair overnight and do a conditioner soak for a few hours. Personally I shampoo once a week so I do my heavy oil soaks the night before I plan on washing.