PDA

View Full Version : Helmet strategies?

picklepie
October 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
My hair is still pretty short, but I'm already annoyed at having to take any barrettes out, etc. when I put on my bike helmet. Which is pretty much every day, if not a few times a day. Then of course it's completely crushed and flat.

What are some of you with longer hair doing to ease the cycling-related hair problem? Other than not wearing a helmet... I know that's the norm in parts of Europe, but I have to set a good example for the kids....

aenflex
October 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Braids :) Havent you even seen the long lovely braids trailing out behind the ladies aboard motorcycles? With hair that short you might just be stuck waiting longer before you can do much of anthing with it. Better to wear the helmet and forget about the hauir :)

Anje
October 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'm seconding the braids to control hair. Once they get longer, it's worth doubling them back on themselves to keep them from swinging near the brake cables.

Also, wearing something like a Buff or a bandana over the head, under the helmet seems to be a nice way to contain hair a little and prevent it from snagging on any velcro or stickiness that secures the pads inside the helmet.

BranwenWolf
October 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I put my helmet on and then braid it. I use a horse-riding helmet that has a fairly snug fit, so if I braid it before the mass of the braid itself messes up the helmet.

torrilin
October 8th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Braids. I'm working on learning twin French braids, but twin English braids work fine with my current hair length. Single French works on my hair even when it is between chin and shoulder length. Twin French braids would work on very short hair indeed.

UltraBella
October 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Braids for sure !!! I like a nice French braid for when I am wearing a helmet.

picklepie
October 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to finally buy a Buff. And try twin french braids! It just... might... work...

supermanok03
October 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM
French/dutch braids are the absolute best for keeping your hair back and almost flat against your head. Especially if you have shorter layers like i used to, and you start the braid closer to the front of your hairline. I just don't think french braids can be beat for this type of thing!

smileycat
October 9th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I got the buff recommendation when I posted about the same thing a few weeks ago, bought two and wear them all the time! I also have a narrow wickie wear headband I wear sometimes for quick rides to the coffee shop just to cover my hairline (I struggle with losing the fine hairs from rubbing and tension).

picklepie
October 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I also have a narrow wickie wear headband I wear sometimes for quick rides to the coffee shop just to cover my hairline (I struggle with losing the fine hairs from rubbing and tension).

Yes! I hadn't thought to blame my helmet, but this has been happening to me too!

akurah
October 12th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Blue sky scrubs sell these pony scrubs that cover and protect your hair as well, I wear under helmets when I wear helmets. Might be worth a look.