PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not?

Aleria
October 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
My hair has been really frustrating lately... the ends are all crunchy, just like they were after I didn't trim for a year, but it's only been two months! There's no splits, they just feel yucky.

I know my hair *is* growing because I have three bleached streaks I got in May, and they have about 4" of roots, but I haven't gained any length. I took a length shot and it's in the exact same place as the one I took in April (can't upload because I can't find my camera cord at the moment).

I love my hair, but I would rather have it healthy and manageable than ratty and BSL. In the past I'd always hit just past BSL and have to trim because it'd be crunchy like this, and the one or two times I hit waist due to neglect the last 6-8 inches were yucky.

I heat style maybe 3-4 times a year, CO with Suave and Garnier Triple Nutrition, and I wear up as much as I can, but I can't do any buns except a very poor one using two elastics and two hair stick/pin things. I've tried an SMT and it helped for about a day.

I'm thinking of cutting, maybe not drastically, but a couple inches... which would make me actually have almost APL hair ><

little_cherry
October 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Have you clarified? Suave and GTN are notorious for build up and can make hair feel crunchy. If you have clarified, DT and oiled and it is still crunchy after a couple of weeks of babying, then you may have to trim a little..micro trims make the hair feel better.

katha
October 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
When my hair reached BSL, growth really stalled (or the ends just broke of, not sure what's the case). It just picked up again, actually. I'm not entirely sure but I think people in the BSL to waist thread mentioned this, too. So maybe it's a common phenomenon that you just need to sit out.
If you're not entirely sure, I'd wait.
However, if you think you'd feel better about your hair, have it cut. :)

Oskimosa
October 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I got crunchy ends right there at BSL, too. They're really tricky to get rid of. Some members have had success oiling their ends, and some members will damp bun their hair after oiling the ends after washing, and that worked for me sometimes. Some use shea butter. There are other deep treatments too besides the SMT. Silk pillowcases are another thing that can help.

How is your hair treated daily? Do you sit at work, rubbing your hair on your chair all day? Do you play with your ends alot when your hair is down?

Don't lose hope just yet. If you want to cut, then that's what's right for you. But if you want long hair, there are ways to troubleshoot your dry ends. :) Depends on if you're not bothered by the hassle of it.

melrose1985
October 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
What's been working for me, and I have damage, is the Garnier Triple Nutrition! Maybe try clarifying just the ends or something.

My ends always felt dry and nasty from the splits and damage I've done. So when I get in the shower before wetting my hair I put the Garnier on the dry hair, about from the ears down. I loosely tie that back. I wash the top of my head what my non SLS shampoo (tipping only that part of my head under the water.) After I'm done with everything and ready to get out I rinse the Garnier out, squeeze the ends to get the water out, put a 1/2 to whole teaspoon amount of the Garnier in my hands (rub them together), and then re-squeeze my hair out again, like I'm squishing the condition in again. Then I just let it dry.

Do this has made my ends totally soft! That conditioner is a God sent!

hope you find something that works!

ETA: I'm BSL too. with henna and chemically dyed hair. So i say don't cut just yet!

aenflex
October 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't cut unless I wanted short hair. Cutting because your hair is misbehaving might cause you some pangs of regret later. I would listen to the others that have posted - keep your head up and keep trying :)
Unless of course you want short hair.

Toadstool
October 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I have always cut due to crunchy ends, and have never had long hair as a result. I would try clarifying and then oiling/conditioning them.

FrannyG
October 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I love my hair, but I would rather have it healthy and manageable than ratty and BSL. In the past I'd always hit just past BSL and have to trim because it'd be crunchy like this, and the one or two times I hit waist due to neglect the last 6-8 inches were yucky.

I can so relate to this. Some of us just need small regular trims in order to save big chops down the road. Some people can go without trims at all. Not all of us.

If you've clarified, deep-conditioned and done everything possible and those ends still feel damaged, you are likely due for a trim.

I don't think you need to cut off 1 or 2 inches; I suggest trimming off 1/2 of an inch. It may be all you need to make your hair feel better and it really won't interfere with more than a month's worth of growing.

You may find that you need to trim a tiny bit every few months. That won't interfere with your long-term goals, but will gradually allow you to reach your goals with your pre-LHC damage removed.

When your hair doesn't appear to be growing, that can be another sign that you need a trim, as you may be having breakage due to damage.

We can see your hair, but only you can feel it. You need to do what you need to do in order to enjoy your hair.

Keep treating your hair well, have small trims occasionally, and eventually you will have the hair that you dream of.

I wouldn't cut unless I wanted short hair. Cutting because your hair is misbehaving might cause you some pangs of regret later. I would listen to the others that have posted - keep your head up and keep trying :)
Unless of course you want short hair.

I'm sorry. I can't agree with this. I've trimmed three times since January and in that time I've gone from APL to BSL. Look in my photo album.

Some of us need trims in order to grow quality hair.

ericthegreat
October 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I agree with little cherry. It seems like you might have a lot of buildup, since as you've mentioned your ends are not split but they are crunchy feeling. Hardened, crunchy hair is a sure sign of buildup of some sort. You might want to try an AVC rinse or you might go out an buy a clarifying shampoo and try that out.

I use the CO method as well Aleria, and I also need to clarify my hair about once every 3 weeks or about once a month. Your situation sounds a lot like mine when I have buildup, all conditioners even the ones without cones will leave a little bit of residue in your hair. If you don't clarify your hair, that buildup will cause your hair to get brittle and crunchy feeling, just like you have been describing. I personally use a special pH balanced shampoo when I go to clarify my hair (its a brand only sold at the salon I go to so you won't find it in any store). But any kind of clarifying shampoo should work for you, I know that Suave makes a clarifying shampoo. After clarifying your hair, you can follow that up with lightly using a little bit of conditioner again since when you clarify your hair, it can be quite drying to your hair.

So try clarifying your hair first, I think that's what you need. Only when you have tried EVERYTHING and you still don't feel that anything is helping, then you can go to the last resort of cutting off those ends. :flower:

ellen732
October 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Even if you just trim 1" it would only set you back two months (8 weeks) and wouldn't be drastic. Sometimes that is all you need. When my hair feels "crunchy" I do an ACV rinse and it makes my hair feel soft again.

jojo
October 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I second clarifying and start putting a little coconut oil on the very ends daily and keep your hair up and the ends hibernating in a bun; this got me through this stage. If after clarifying it still feels the same dust the ends like - <---- this much and do this monthly until the crunch has gone.

You say your hair always goes through this when it reaches BSL, all cutting will do will postpone this happening again and then you end up never getting longer than BSL, been there and totally sympathise with how annoying it is and I totally understand how your hair looks is more important than length, this is my philosophy too.

Good luck, you will pass this stage and like all the different stages, your hairs needs change; the secret is finding which new routine is needed to retain the length, whilst keeping it looking healthy.

Aleria
October 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I have used some of my old sulphate shampoo but I'm not sure what differentiates this from a clarifying shampoo specifically.
I guess it's true cutting will only postpone it. This crunchyness is the main reason I've never grown past BSL consciously.
I have tried using almond and olive oil, but couldn't find coconut oil in my local grocery store. Will take a look in a health food store or something.
My hair is down a fair amount, since I can really only ponytail or bun it with two elastics, neither of which are really that good for it, I think. I go to class so it gets caught in the bus seats, gets rubbed between my back and the chairs, etc.
I've tried many different buns I *should* be able to do at this length but they just won't stick.