PDA

View Full Version : Growing out short layers...

Kittee
October 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Oh my goodness so difficult! My hair is in such an ugly duck stage at the moment!

Besides wearing hats, does anyone have any tips?

pepperminttea
October 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
If you've got enough length for double French braids, they held my layers in when I was growing out. Besides that, headbands and bobby pins?

Fadedbluedreams
October 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I recently went through the "awkward stage" where I was growing out a bob. Finally am able to put it into a ponytail and it rests on my shoulders. You'll get there, but it will seem to take forever. Good luck.

kwaniesiam
October 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
We're in the same boat. Try parting your hair different ways or clipping bits of it back and scrunching it to hide the choppy layers. It takes a lot of product to get my hair looking decent right now.

Mexibeach
October 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Bandanas... headbands, slouchy hats...
At least until you can put it up into a wee pony tail! This is what I am currently doing!
Good luck!!! It's an awful stage, isn't it!

anniemae
October 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Little clips, combs, and headbands are always cute. Good luck.

Capybara
October 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have a friend with hair about your length with lots of layers. What she does, is make a ponytail with the top third of her hair, then smother ponytail directly underneath the first one with the middle third of her hair, then a last ponytail directly beneath the second. From the front/back, it looks like a regular ponytail (quite flattering, actually, because it's easy to create volume :)) and from the side, looks awesome because it's different than a regular ponytail. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, but its basically a way to put up shorter layered hair. For the record, she's not growing hers out (it's a cute length, I think :) ) but this dies help when she wants it out of the way.

Kittee
October 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Cool thanks for the idea's folks. :)

Nanni
October 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Same here! Also have some leftovers ends with some permanent dye I'm trying not to cut off or cover with new dye. Driving me crazy!! Wear m hair up in a bun most of the time.

tinti
October 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
When I had short hair I took tiny claw clips and pinned my hair back section by section all around my head. Then I just messed and scrunched the part in the middle to look ore updo-ish.

Sammich
October 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
The bobby pins, the headbands. ;)

They all save my life! (Still have trouble with my hair even now! :p )

SeaPhoenix
October 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Head bands and little clip barrettes. I had some major funky layers at one point. Although I never trimmed my hair to avoid the famous mullet grow out look... It's been 2 years since the longish-pixie cut, and my hair is solidly mid-back/bsl length now, and the layers are very slightly noticeable now that my hair has grown.
Just get through the awkward grow out phase without trimming, if you can, and it'll be great :-) I have no patience and if I can do that, anyone can :-)

KristiLe
October 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Headbands always get me through awkward stages really well, especially pretty, interesting ones!

crystal_89
October 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Ugh, I'm doing this now too. If its down I have to straighten it.

If its up, its up with a headband, a tiny elastic and a lot of bobby pins.

clairenewcastle
October 9th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Thankfully I'm long past that stage (hang in there, you'll soon get past it too!) but for me the answer for bad hair days is a hat. Or a scarf.