PDA

View Full Version : does anyone wash their hair upside down?

TealDolphin
October 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Like, bending over?

I do, only bending over halfway though, because when I bend all the way, the water makes me feel like I'm drowning. :P

julliams
October 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
That's how I wash out a treatment if I've already showered and dressed. I just tip over the bath and use the detachable shower head to rinse out. It can be annoying to have to comb it all through afterward though.

Angeletti
October 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I do occasionally but only after I color my hair because if I don't wash it upside down then I will color my body as well lol, the dye tends to stain anything as soon as it gets washed out. If doing a normal wash then I usually start standing up then finish putting cold water on while it's upside down.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
October 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I have always done my washing this way. My mum has also done it like this and taught me. This way is more comfortable for me, I've tried to wash in the shower, but didn't like it. Perhaps the habit is so strong. I often wash my hair at random hours, late at night, e.g at 10pm and I wouldn't like to shower for the third time, as I believe that too many showers are not good for me :) I also don't have a special showering place, only a bath tube, and my bathroom (like the whole apartment) is in the attic, so the roof is sloping and there is too little room to take a shower standing. That is why I prefer to wash my hair first, and before I leave home, quickly hop in the tube, crouch, and wash myself :)

Sooze
October 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Am also a wash-upside-down person - I feel I have more control over it that way - if I'm in the shower, I don't wear me specs, so I can't see (am very short sighted!) and it inevitably leads to trouble. :) Does tend to play havoc with your back though as you get older..... :rolleyes:

jera
October 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Yup, I've always washed my hair this way. Bent over in the sink. I've washed it in the shower at times, but prefer doing it in the sink, especially if I've colored or done a mask or other treatment. :D

inty
October 8th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I *always* wash my hair upside down.
I tend to like the fact that I don't need to pull my clothes off and get into the tube just to wash my hair, so I can do it any moment when I'm not going to shower, for instance. I stand next to the tube and bend over, and this is the only method that leaves my hair and scalp clean and with no tangles. I always had this 'detachable' shower available which I hold with one hand and use the other hand to manipulate the hair.

The other day for whatever reason I tried to wash it 'upside up'... Umm... no, never again. I even had the trouble to get the water to my scalp properly because of the mass of hair around, nor could I rinse shampoo/conditioner out properly :confused:

If I have only a 'standing' shower available, I just stand in the shower, bending all the way forward to wash the hair... Often there are those 'detachable' showers, those are good too.

BTW this is how I wash my daughter's hair, too (she hates to have water on her face), because with this method the face stays almost always dry :)

Toadstool
October 8th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I used to until I damaged my back, and the chiropractor told me it was the worst possible position to put your back in.:(

Tabitha
October 8th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have to wash my hair like that now, although I don't really like it, after I developed skin sensitivities and can't tolerate any shampoo getting on the skin of my body (I can only wash with emulsifying ointment).

I kneel down beside the bath and wash my hair under the mixer tap because the handheld shower attachment is so feeble. It's not comfortable and it was one factor in my cutting back my hair from below waist to MBL.

shrimp
October 8th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I always wash upside down. I can't imagine trying to wash my hair in the shower normally, it just does not compute :lol:

Fiordiligi
October 8th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I washed my air upside-down in the basin till I left home, as my parents didn't have a shower, and at university too because the showers were frankly primitive. At the moment I'm doing it again, because my shower seems to be leaking into the wall and I'm not using it till it's properly fixed. (Don't worry, I do have a bathtub.)

JenniferNoel
October 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I used to wash my hair upside down, but I am extremely prone to vertigo as an effect of water "leaking" in to my ear, so it's very difficult for me to wash that way without getting water in there.
At the time I did wash it that way, my scalp always got a little cleaner and the "freshly washed" effect lasted an extra day.

enfys
October 8th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Yep, I do. I find it easier to CWC; I do the CW then put my hair up in a bun on top of my head while the second C soaks in, then rinse and use a turbie towel.

If I washed the right way up I'd be throwing my hair around and getting a lot of tangles; this way my hair is in the same direction all the time.

ktani
October 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I wash my hair upside down in the shower and have for a number of years. I bend my head and upper body forward. I find it easier to work with my hair using this method.

XcaliburGirl
October 8th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I do part of my wash upside down so I can reach my scalp through the hanging hair and scrub properly. Then I flip it back to do the back of my head.

swivelhop
October 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I do both upside down and rightside up in the shower. There is a nice hair flip water mark on the ceiling too.

aenflex
October 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Yup. And when it gets too long to do upsidedown effectively, I will get a handshower and do upsidedown in the tub after my shower is over. I cannot wash my hair right side up. Don't know why :)

Anje
October 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Interesting.... I never could manage this effectively.

Tell me, those of you with longer hair -- how do you keep your ends from going down the drain, especially if you wash in the sink?

heidihug
October 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
If I did that, my hair would be swirling down the drain - yucko! Wouldn't do it anyway, as my hair tangles much too easily, and upside-down anything - washing, brushing, whatever - invites more tangles.

Intransigentia
October 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM
My scalp doesn't seem to like shampoo, so if I'm shampooing, I'll bend over and do that part upside down. But my scalp does like conditioner, so I do that standing up. So CWC = calisthenics; CO = just standing around.

Fethenwen
October 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I always wash it this way, I have sometimes tried to wash my hair while standing but I just can't seem to get my fingers down at my scalp that way. Feels very ineffective, and also it feels like I'm damaging my hair when I try to somehow get it cleaned.

Interesting.... I never could manage this effectively.

Tell me, those of you with longer hair -- how do you keep your ends from going down the drain, especially if you wash in the sink?
This I would also like to know, I haven't that long hair yet to have to worry about this. But eventually this will be a problem. Maybe have a sort of basin underneath to collect the hair in?

spidermom
October 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I've been conditioning it upside-down lately because I can get conditioner over my whole canopy - which is the most dry and damaged part of my hair - without getting it on my scalp. (I wash it in the shower, not in the sink.)

clairenewcastle
October 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I've always washed my hair upside down, bending over the bath and using a shower spray attached to the taps.
It's the way I was taught to do it as a child for we didn't have a shower, only the bath tub, so it's a habit for me now.

Katrina
October 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I always do this.

halo_tightens
October 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I always wash mine upside-down, kneeling next to the tub and using the regular tub faucet. I just can't seem to do a very good job of it upright, and it always seems way too difficult and annoying to try it again.

Mine's not that long yet at BSL, but it's definitely long enough to go down the drain if I let it. I just hold the ends up in one hand and wash with the other, switching back and forth as needed. It's something I just sort of started doing as my hair grew to drain-length and beyond, and it feels natural.

cuddledumplin
October 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I always wash upside down and rinse with a detatchable shower head.

greyTraveler
October 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I wash both ways (right now I can't say how I choose from time-time). I don't have the drain problem because I wash in the tub w/ one of the hand-held shower attachments, or in the shower (leaning over).

This helps me in two ways -- helps me condition the length w/o conditioning my scalp as much, and also my scalp in the back, above my neck, seems to get oiler; upside down makes it easier to reach the scalp in that area (but harder on top ...)

BrightEyes7
October 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hmmm... I have tried it but I seem to get so many tangles this way! I was straight up because that is how I comb and how I wear my hair I guess....

But maybe if there are so many that swear by it... maybe I'll give it another go

daaisychains
October 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Nope my hair is a bit too delicate for that unfortunately :(
Would take too long to get the tangles out.. sigh.

papillion
October 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I've always washed my hair upside down. Partly because I hate showers, and partly because I can never get my hair clean if I wash it in the shower.

I don't see how anyone could get their hair in the drain when washing it in a basin. Put in plug, fill bowl, wash, move away (in my case to lean over the bath), pull out plug and empty water. The only problem I have with the drain is making sure that I don't get too many shed hairs caught in it,

jojo
October 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I used to do this but nowadays I wash my hair with my head in its natural position I personally find I get less tangles washing with my head up, but each to their own.

Carolyn
October 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I used to wash it upside down in the kitchen sink when it was APL or shorter. Now I wash sitting in the tub and use a hand held shower thingie to rinse with. The only time I'd consider doing this now would be when I'm doing some kind of a deep treatment where I would wash in the tub first, rinse, apply the deep conditioner and then need to rinse again. I'd rinse in the kitchen sink if I could manage to load the dishwasher and clear it out.

virgo75
October 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I used to wash my hair upside down under the bathtub faucet while kneeling on the ledge of my bathtub. I liked how much cleaner my hair and scalp would get than washing in the shower.

Once I realized it was causing a LOT of tangles and single strand knots ( :shake: )I went back to washing in the shower and only doing the upside down thing under the bathtub faucet if I have heavy buildup and need to clarify.

christine1989
October 9th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I tried washing upside down once....then spent half an hour getting the tangles out of my sopping wet hair.

Chiara
October 10th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I wash upside down, in the shower. I had to work out a technique to stop my hair massively tangling, as when I went upright, the damp hair would form a big dread. But if I don't wash upside down then I find it hard to get the underlayers of my hair thoroughly clean.