PDA

View Full Version : classic length and terminal length

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
These two always confuses me. Can someone explain me in detail?

doodlesmart
May 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Classic length is simply where your bum meets your thighs.

Terminal length is the longest your hair will grow and is based on genetics. Each hair has a lifetime, so it will grow for a certain amount of time, then rest there for a while, then shed and new hair will grow. This, combined with the growth rate of that hair means that there is some maximum length of hair. It can only grow so long before its time comes to shed out. Terminal length can vary widely from person to person and you won't know how long yours is until you get there should you choose to find out.

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
so there is no specific inches limit to make it qualify i guess. it could be different for different ppl.
But in that case it is not possible to compare two ppls hair side by side..is it?

doodlesmart
May 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Nope, if you look around you will find threads trying to figure out how long certain "lengths" are on people. So for me, waist is around 33", but for someone shorter, taller or differently proportioned, it will be different. Most folks around here measure for progress, but consider goals in terms of anatomical lengths. Waist length and classic length for example are both near the golden ratio on many people (inverses of each other) which could be why many consider them to be very attractive lengths (though personally I like tailbone). But an arbitrary inch mark could fall in different places on different people and look very different.

Eboshi
May 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
so there is no specific inches limit to make it qualify i guess. it could be different for different ppl.
But in that case it is not possible to compare two ppls hair side by side..is it?

No, it isn't Justins

angelthadiva
May 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hi, you might want to check this thread out: Classic Length/Golden Ratio Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4428&highlight=golden+ratio)

We discussed this pretty in depth, and someone was kind enough to post the GR formula, so you can find out what "Classic Length" is for you etc. :flower:

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks 'angelthadiva'

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
"doodlesmart' great explaination. thanks.

Cinnamon Hair
May 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Doodlesmart did a great job explaining classic length and terminal length, but I'm going to add a bit.

Terminal length is the longest that each strand of hair on your head will grow. However, every hair on your head has a different terminal length; for example the baby hairs around your hair line in front of your ears probably stop growing at a very short length. You also must consider that hair isn't at true terminal length, until every possible measure has been taken to care for it and prolong its life. If you bleached your hair it will fall out or break off much sooner than a pampered hair. The same goes for trims... if a hair has been trimmed (ever, even half an inch one time 5 years ago) then there's no way for that particular strand of hair to reach its terminal length. What I'm trying to explain is that true terminal length is usually significantly longer than the length most people's hair actually reaches before it breaks or falls out.

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Cinnamon Hair thanks.
So is your hair at terminal length? or knee length? I just checked your web link? do you color ur hair? it looks great though.

Eboshi
May 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Now, now justins. No lady likes to be asked if she colors her hair

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
really? I thought it was only age. and now hair color?

Eboshi
May 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Justins, do you hear that sound ......

justins
May 25th, 2008, 11:59 PM
what sound?

Cinnamon Hair
May 25th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Eboshi is like a cat. She won't just kill the mouse, no. She has to bat it around first, then let it try to escape and once the poor thing thinks it is safe, she pounces.

And to answer your question, justins, no I don't color I'm way too lazy to do the upkeep. I'm at knee, and nope not terminal just yet.

Starr
May 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Eboshi is like a cat. She won't just kill the mouse, no. She has to bat it around first, then let it try to escape and once the poor thing thinks it is safe, she pounces.

Which is why we love her!:eyebrows:

Eboshi
May 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
what sound?

This sound !

<PLOINK>

angelthadiva
May 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
really? I thought it was only age. and now hair color? If a woman will tell you her age, she will tell you anything!

Justins, do you hear that sound ...... I can hear it... :D

Eboshi is like a cat. She won't just kill the mouse, no. She has to bat it around first, then let it try to escape and once the poor thing thinks it is safe, she pounces. <snip> Good analogy! :)

angelthadiva
May 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM
ploink! LOL, you are so funny!

Amoretti
May 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
So, so funny! Eboshi, you're too much!:D:D

zift
May 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
That was sooo funny Eboshi haha you're great!:cool:

Tabitha
May 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
:applause Let's hear it for Eboshi!:bowtome:

n3m3sis42
May 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Is "ploink" the sound we hear when the ban hammer falls?

Eboshi
May 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
*borrowing a quote from physicschick* Given that the OP is now banned, I think this thread has served its purpose and can be shut down. :brainbleach: