PDA

View Full Version : Oh God, please help me!!!!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm so afraid of my mom's reaction when she sees my black ends!!!

She was away today and i took the chance to touch my light ends- only to turn them black... My hair's now slightly two-toned, with dark brown roots and black ends. I, myself, don't feel too bad because it's just the ends and they'll either fade to a very dark brown or get cut in the long run.

Mom will come back tomorrow and i'm too scared to even simulate her reaction! Don't get me wrong; i'm 21 years old and she has no right to tell me to do stuff but the mental pressure she creates makes me feel really stressed (as happened the time i chopped my waist-length to inverted bob; she shouted and made me cry)

I shampooed my ends like 6 times today. Every time it bled a little but there's not a chance it'll fade obviously until tomorrow even if i wash every minute!! I'm feeling so stressed out LHC, what can i do????

Luckysock
October 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
honey lightening! try it

Luckysock
October 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
sorry - here's the link to Ktani's article

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=61

Bene
October 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
First of all, breathe. It's gonna be okay.

I don't know about how to fix it, but don't do anything hasty, like bleaching. I've heard some oils can strip dye, I'm not sure which ones.

In mean time, you can bun and hide your ends, okay?

Centaur
October 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Wear your hair up a lot with ends tucked under for a few weeks until it lightens up a bit?

Maddy25
October 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
aw, I've been there. My mom cried when I turned my blonde hair black at my DBF's house a few years ago. She might be mad, but she'll get over it, you can always try to hide it in an updo or something :D When I dyed my hair hotpink I wore a hat at home.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
honey lightening! try it

I have no time and enough honey to try that today :( i will try it later on though, another time when she's away... (she'll go: omg you smear honey all over your hair?!?!?!)

First of all, breathe. It's gonna be okay.

I don't know about how to fix it, but don't do anything hasty, like bleaching. I've heard some oils can strip dye, I'm not sure which ones.

In mean time, you can bun and hide your ends, okay?

No-one, even my mom can make me put anymore dye on my hair. It all started with hair dye; i was happy with the color i got!!!

I can of course hide it, but till when? She's staying at my place most of the time, she'll definitely see it!

aw, I've been there. My mom cried when I turned my blonde hair black at my DBF's house a few years ago. She might be mad, but she'll get over it, you can always try to hide it in an updo or something :D When I dyed my hair hotpink I wore a hat at home.

I know my mom; she'll only get over it when it's back to normal. For example she's still pestering me for the big chop that i did 2 years ago!

Oh someone help me out the misery!!!

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I realllyy liked your darkened ends, like I told you, and I'm very sorry to hear she'd freak out about it :(. For what it's worth, if you ever get the chance to try it again, I would.. I think it looked really nice. But as said above, I would try honey lightening. Leave in in all night or something and see if it can take some of it out. However, I can't be sure it will alllll come out.. unless you dye it, again, with like bleach.. heavy bleach :/. I wouldn't do that. I'd wear my hear in a bun that hides the ends until I could get it all out through washing/honey.

Bene
October 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I can of course hide it, but till when? She's staying at my place most of the time, she'll definitely see it!

She doesn't have to see it at all. You can bun all the time. I do. Your hair looks long enough to do a cinnamon bun, which is great because you kind of have to tuck your ends in. You can hide it till it fades or until you find something that works. I think it's coconut oil that strips color a little.

Just tell her you're preventing damage if she asks. And ONLY if she asks. Don't bring it up.

If you have to comb or whatever, do it in the bathroom or when you're alone. When you wash your hair, you can put it up in a towel, then bun when it's just damp.

09robiha
October 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I know how you feel....my mum freaked the first time I went red. So much she made me cry even though I loved it and it made me feel like Ariel.

Same when I stopped straightening. Now she wouldnt have it any other way.
I think parents just do that because they always have this one image of us (my mum will always she me as her little blonde girl) and anything else freaks them out. Plus we put alot of..whats the word..no matter what people say we DO care about our parents opinion to some degree because well..there our parents.

Dont worry to much, she'll calm down. In the mean time thats what were here for!!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I realllyy liked your darkened ends, like I told you, and I'm very sorry to hear she'd freak out about it :(. For what it's worth, if you ever get the chance to try it again, I would.. I think it looked really nice. But as said above, I would try honey lightening. Leave in in all night or something and see if it can take some of it out. However, I can't be sure it will alllll come out.. unless you dye it, again, with like bleach.. heavy bleach :/. I wouldn't do that. I'd wear my hear in a bun that hides the ends until I could get it all out through washing/honey.

My hair looks fine according to LHC standards. Actually it looks much healthier than the reddish brown it had before; ends look way thicker and shinier. I have to admit though, it doesn't look like an A-list dye job with brown roots and black ends :/

I never want my hair to go back to light brown. I only want, like, half of the dye to come out so that everyone will be happy :(

And no, no more dye/bleach for me.

I know how you feel....my mum freaked the first time I went red. So much she made me cry even though I loved it and it made me feel like Ariel.

Same when I stopped straightening. Now she wouldnt have it any other way.
I think parents just do that because they always have this one image of us (my mum will always she me as her little blonde girl) and anything else freaks them out. Plus we put alot of..whats the word..no matter what people say we DO care about our parents opinion to some degree because well..there our parents.

Dont worry to much, she'll calm down. In the mean time thats what were here for!!

Thanks a lot!

I think it's more about looking perfect. She wants me to look perfect, like a celebrity. When i do something dramatic and it doesnt come out too nice, she thinks i'm sabotaging my own beauty, so she yells at me :( I really wish parents valued their kids' happiness better than their looks :(

ETA: Bene, i'm afraid buns don't hide my ends...I tried it and took a picture, black is quite obvious.

ktani
October 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I agree, breathe. Then deep condition your hair. That may help release excess dye too. After 6 shampoos your hair no doubt needs it.

It will be ok. Bunning is a great idea until you can try honey lightening to help even out the colour.

Maddy25
October 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Just tell her at least I didn't do this http://www.lockandmane.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/drew-barrymore-ombre-286x300.png

:cheese:

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Oh, honey, please don't panic. Try to relax. It's going to be okay. :grouphug:

Well, ordinarily I would suggest using clarifying shampoo on the ends and leaving it for at least 3 minutes before rinsing, but you've done about all of the shampooing you can do for now.

Perhaps next wash give that a try. The suds of a clarifying shampoo if left in for 3 minutes or longer usually remove fairly fresh excess colour.

For now, I second the idea of a good deep conditioning, as that may also remove some dye, especially since the cuticle of your hair is likely fairly open right now. Then keep your hair bunned as much as possible.

The dye is still fresh. Most of it will come out to a point where it will be barely noticeable.

It will all be just fine. :blossom:

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I agree, breathe. Then deep condition your hair. That may help release excess dye too. After 6 shampoos your hair no doubt needs it.

It will be ok. Bunning is a great idea until you can try honey lightening to help even out the colour.

Tonight i'll smear my hair in oils and conditioner and then pack it up with scarves. I'll have a bath tomorrow; I'll make sure to wash it all out with hot water (sorry hair). After that she'll probably see it; hope that works! :(

SgtMomArmy
October 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM
A good coconut oil soak did help mine when I went black, but I ended up buying color oops. I am back to dark brown and not planning on messing with color again.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Just tell her at least I didn't do this http://www.lockandmane.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/drew-barrymore-ombre-286x300.png

:cheese:

LOL, i'm saving that pic for future reference! :D

Oh, honey, please don't panic. Try to relax. It's going to be okay. :grouphug:

Well, ordinarily I would suggest using clarifying shampoo on the ends and leaving it for at least 3 minutes before rinsing, but you've done about all of the shampooing you can do for now.

Perhaps next wash give that a try. The suds of a clarifying shampoo if left in for 3 minutes or longer usually remove fairly fresh excess colour.

For now, I second the idea of a good deep conditioning, as that may also remove some dye, especially since the cuticle of your hair is likely fairly open right now. Then keep your hair bunned as much as possible.

The dye is still fresh. Most of it will come out to a point where it will be barely noticeable.

It will all be just fine. :blossom:

Aw, i really hope. Thanks a lot!

ETA: SgtMomArmy, i'm not gonna let anymore dye stuff near my hair. People near me will have to get away with this black that i have, till it naturally fades away. My hair's health is more important than their likes, i'm not there to decorate anyone's world :)

melrose1985
October 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks a lot!

I think it's more about looking perfect. She wants me to look perfect, like a celebrity. When i do something dramatic and it doesnt come out too nice, she thinks i'm sabotaging my own beauty, so she yells at me :( I really wish parents valued their kids' happiness better than their looks :(

ETA: Bene, i'm afraid buns don't hide my ends...I tried it and took a picture, black is quite obvious.

My mom can be like this some times. I'll do something and she'll respond with something like " Oh but you looked so pretty before!" I don't even think she realizes how that sounds. And some times my dad will ask if I'm trying to myself ugly. But all the say with my tattoos and black hair- I finally told my mom it's okay to not like it but she shouldn't keep on hating on it. This is who i am!

Hugs!

ktani
October 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Tonight i'll smear my hair in oils and conditioner and then pack it up with scarves. I'll have a bath tomorrow; I'll make sure to wash it all out with hot water (sorry hair). After that she'll probably see it; hope that works! :(

Warm water will suffice. Do not go mad with using too much oil that will be difficult to wash out and cause you more grief. You may not need to honey lighten when you are done. There is no need to further abuse your hair. Everything will be fine. The dye is very fresh. One step at a time.

virgo75
October 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Does your hair look darker with oil in it?
I know some hair colors do.

Maybe you could keep your hair oiled and up in a bun or claw clip.
That way, the hair that is lighter will look darker.
And your mother may have a problem with your hair being oily, but you can let her know that you're giving it a deep oil treatment and this could account for why it appears darker. ;)

Or if you're like me and like to just get things over with you could just swish your hair around in front of her and say, "Look at my hair!! Isn't it great!!!! I LOVE IT!!!" She'll be upset with it, but you'll already have your armour up and a smile on your face so it may be a little easier.

Whatever happens, I hope it all goes well. :flower:

09robiha
October 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks a lot!

gosh do I know how that feels. Maybe she is putting her own insecurites onto you.
She probably just wants the best (plus i think its a mum thing wanting kids to look perfect, remeber the mornings before school with all the preening and perfect ponytails?? lolz) its like the way you look is a reflection on your parents.
For example if I am having a lazy day and look messy my mum feels other people judge HER for it.

Honestly though, never never feel bad for something that you WANTED to do. Everything is your choice and no one elses. You choose to do whatever (people have suffered for you and everyone else to have the freedom to make your own choice remeber)

Ever need to talk, I'm here :)

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks a lot to all of you, especially ktani for all the useful advice! I feel much relaxed now :) I'm glad to be part of such a supportive community; wish parents learned something from this site :/

d1angel
October 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Heh - I have a 23 year old who does all kinds of odd stuff to her hair. Right now she's platinum blonde, and although I think her hair would be healthier if she's quit bleaching the heck out of it, it is HER hair and none of my business. (Wow, I feel like the mother of the year.)

Keep it bunned up, and don't react if she freaks out. Her freaking out is not about you, it's about her. Just let it roll off, like water off a duck's back.

We moms have a hard time seeing our kids as anything but, well, little girls and boys.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Heh - I have a 23 year old who does all kinds of odd stuff to her hair. Right now she's platinum blonde, and although I think her hair would be healthier if she's quit bleaching the heck out of it, it is HER hair and none of my business. (Wow, I feel like the mother of the year.)

oh wow, i wish my mom thought the same way you do :(

ETA: the thing is, she's making me unhappy with her reactions; and then when she sees me cry, she goes "you made a mistake and now crying over it, not my reaction to you!" *facepalm*

Bene
October 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM
oh wow, i wish my mom thought the same way you do :(

ETA: the thing is, she's making me unhappy with her reactions; and then when she sees me cry, she goes "you made a mistake and now crying over it, not my reaction to you!" *facepalm*

"I was perfectly fine with it until you started talking" or you could stop her mid-lecture with "How does this affect YOU?"

Don't take my advice on this, I was a total smartass when I was a kid :D

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM
"I was perfectly fine with it until you started talking"

"That's what you think, you were looking for an excuse to start crying and i gave you that"

Been there, done that.

PrincessBob
October 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I do not mean to pry, but has she been putting you down, like your whole life? I was put into a grumbly mood in regard to your dressmaking and her negativity on that, and now that you've done a fun experiment, which you seemed to enjoy, you seem terrified of maternal retribution and ridicule. I like the dresses you have pictured in your albums, by the way, they are cute and sweet, and I feel that you deserve to be complimented, and not put down. She is your mother, but she is also a guest in your house and your decisions are your own to make. Perhaps you can post samplers around the house stating "If you cannot say anything nice, do not say anything at all."
I am of course a person who merrily flaunts my differences and tries to take any ridicule and turn it around on the person trying to dish it out, in a fun way. My way is not for everybody and I know that. Just know that there is at least one stranger on the internet who thinks you're pretty darn cool, and that you seem to be doing quite well in your creative endeavors , and that they are turning out awesomely. AngelFell seems to be on the positive side as well. You cannot please everybody all the time, not even people you truly love and respect, and they shouldn't demand it of you. :love:

Bene
October 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
"That's what you think, you were looking for an excuse to start crying and i gave you that"

Been there, done that.

Oy, she sounds like my sister.

"It's amazing that you can read minds like that. Let's try this, you don't talk about it, at all. If I cry, then you win! Doesn't it feel good to win?" Sounds like the passive aggressive route would work best in this situation.

little_cherry
October 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
You could always put it up in a cinnamon bun and tucking those end under the bun if it's not light enough.

Good luck! I was going to suggest the honey lightening or plain warm olive oil....even a baking soda rinse (2 tbs dissolved in 2 cups of warm water) could pull enough colour out..

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
She wants you to look perfect, eh? Maybe she wishes she looked perfect when she was younger, so now she's trying to force it on you? People have a habit of doing that :p. Whenever my mom judged me for something like changing a hair color, I was hurt too, but it just ended up making me want to prove her wrong and that it did look good, and that helped me to be more confident. But I can understand how grieving it can be to have to deal with a loved one's harsh criticism.

Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you, and if you can't get the dark ends out.. well.. they look really good IMO, so at least you're not stuck with something ugly :p!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I do not mean to pry, but has she been putting you down, like your whole life?

I'll need to clarify something here.

My mom and i really love each other. I mean, really. We're probably the best daughter-mother ever existed. She's the "best friend" that i never had. But she's just too perfectionist; I believe she might even get diagnosed with OCD if she ever went to a doctor. When things don't go the way she planned, she breaks out. It's %90 of the time about my dad, but every once in a while i drive her crazy :D My dad and I are more relaxed, we do the things we like regardless of whether it'll come out good or not. She's always following her logic, for example cutting my waist length hair back to posh was illogical. But it was an experiment i wanted to do and i started to appreciate the hair i have after that incident. I almost don't regret cutting it, but she won't understand that. In every opportunity she says how beautiful my hair was and how i ruined it :/ This black dye will just be another step closer to hit the bottom, in her eyes.

Oy, she sounds like my sister.

"It's amazing that you can read minds like that. Let's try this, you don't talk about it, at all. If I cry, then you win! Doesn't it feel good to win?" Sounds like the passive aggressive route would work best in this situation.

I must've said that too but after some time i just stopped listening to her defense. I'm planning to act like it's a normal thing and totally ignore any possible out-blast from her :D Arguing with an angry mom is no good!

even a baking soda rinse (2 tbs dissolved in 2 cups of warm water) could pull enough colour out..

Oh, thanks for reminding me of baking soda! :D

She wants you to look perfect, eh? Maybe she wishes she looked perfect when she was younger, so now she's trying to force it on you? People have a habit of doing that :p. Whenever my mom judged me for something like changing a hair color, I was hurt too, but it just ended up making me want to prove her wrong and that it did look good, and that helped me to be more confident. But I can understand how grieving it can be to have to deal with a loved one's harsh criticism.

Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you, and if you can't get the dark ends out.. well.. they look really good IMO, so at least you're not stuck with something ugly :p!

I don't think she has a problem with herself. It's all about me and how i "should" look. She never cared about her own hair and still never cares. But my hair? it's priceless for her :D she's just too obsessed with me that she's fighting against me to prevent myself from doing anymore harm to myself (!?)

Unnamed
October 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but wanted to post right away: Extra virgin olive oil! Soak the dyed bits (or everything) in EVOO and leave it on for a while (4+ hours if you can), then wash out. If it's really freshly dyed this might help a TON.

The other thing would be is depending on how much of your hair it is, if it's still a large difference will wearing it up help? Or how about a french braid? Does it look any better if put up in any particular way? But definitely try soaking with EVOO.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but wanted to post right away: Extra virgin olive oil! Soak the dyed bits (or everything) in EVOO and leave it on for a while (4+ hours if you can), then wash out. If it's really freshly dyed this might help a TON.

The other thing would be is depending on how much of your hair it is, if it's still a large difference will wearing it up help? Or how about a french braid? Does it look any better if put up in any particular way? But definitely try soaking with EVOO.

Ooh, your post made me sooo happy because i have my whole hair soaked in olive oil and wrapped with a scarf :D I'll leave it on overnight! Fingers crossed for it to work! :cheese:

Alix
October 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure how good this is for your hair, but in my experience, dish soap strips dye out of your hair.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure how good this is for your hair, but in my experience, dish soap strips dye out of your hair.

I tried it on a chunk. Maybe it was a wrong kind, it didn't strip anything. shampoo strips way better :)

lajsa
October 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Oh, I hope everything will be alright for you! It's your hair and your decisions. :) You're an adult and you have the right to look the way you want to look. If she wants to single-handedly rule over someone's hair, she can rule over her own. There's nothing wrong with darker ends; in fact I think it can look pretty interesting.

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I don't think she has a problem with herself. It's all about me and how i "should" look. She never cared about her own hair and still never cares. But my hair? it's priceless for her :D she's just too obsessed with me that she's fighting against me to prevent myself from doing anymore harm to myself (!?)

Well, on the bright side, she at least cares about you in some way, even if it's mean and bothersome :p. I suppose she could not care at all and let you go on a frenzy and bleach your hair white (which I doubt you'd do but, you get the point). Eheh. But there are a lot of good suggestions on this thread for getting it out, so hopefully you should be ok ^_^.

spidermom
October 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM
You could always play dumb and say "I don't know what you're talking about." Hopefully some of the suggestions will work. Just keep it put up. Your hair is about the right length for a french twist.

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM
You could always play dumb and say "I don't know what you're talking about." Hopefully some of the suggestions will work. Just keep it put up. Your hair is about the right length for a french twist.

Eheheh. I can see that too. "What are you talking about? There's no dye in my hair. Silly woman." Made me giggle :p.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Hhhahahaa, one needs to be blind not to see the dye on my hair :D

A french twist would work, if only i could do it. I really cannot wear a certain style just to hide my ends, i decided to just let my hair hang and put up with the reaction. I'm stressed but not that desperate! :)

tanya222
October 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I'm so glad someone came up with that picture of Drew Barrymore's blonde-with-paintbrush-dipped-black ends! As soon as I read the OP's description of her dye-job I immediately thought of D.B. as I had seen her in an interview on TV when she came out with that. Of course freshly done it looked neater, the edges of the black were nearly perfect, and I thought she looked cool!

I guess it makes me realize how lucky I am that I've got a mom who loves my long hair, doesn't tell me what to do with it, etc.

I didn't read the whole thread but did anyone suggest lemon juice?

I hope you're able to hide it in a bun or something?

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but did anyone suggest lemon juice?

Nope! How will i use it?

Bene
October 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM

:laugh:

I did that with a tattoo. It worked for about a year. "What's that you say? A tattoo? I have NO idea what you're talking about. Old age is making you see things, huh?"

After a while, she stopped asking :D

tanya222
October 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Nope! How will i use it?

Not really sure as I've never tried it myself as I want my hair darker not lighter, but I have read that it bleaches out blonde hair, so maybe soaking it into your ends, maybe mixed with honey to make it stay? Then wrapping in a shower cap for a bit? It might help to strip out some colour.

Rocket22
October 7th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I would totally just wear it up for a bit, those ends will lighten up probably pretty quick.

SimplyViki
October 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Try a braided updo - braid your hair, French braid would be best, but not absolutely necessary, a Dianyla braid will work well too. Feel for the braid's "pocket" underneath. Loosen the pocket if you need to. Tuck the braided length up into the pocket (you can fold it in half if you need to). Voila! Nobody sees the ends.

spidermom
October 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
:laugh:

I did that with a tattoo. It worked for about a year. "What's that you say? A tattoo? I have NO idea what you're talking about. Old age is making you see things, huh?"

After a while, she stopped asking :D

Exactly; more about making it clear you don't want to talk about it than being convincing.

d1angel
October 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Exactly; more about making it clear you don't want to talk about it than being convincing.

Yup, my daughter did that to me. "What's that? Is that a piercing?" "Got no idea what you're talking about, Mom."

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Just breathe. You said it right when you said you are old enough to where your mom should not be telling you what to do with your hair. Remind her of that if she makes any rude comments about your hair. It belongs to you therefore you should do what you want to it.
*****I totally understand about people pressuring you or making rude comments about what one should do with their hair as I have had similar experiences, and it sucks.

Jessica Trapp
October 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
If it was my mom, I'd tell her that I was pregnant and wasn't sure which of three men was the father. When she woke up from her dead faint, I'd tell her I was kidding about the baby and confess about the hair...

mariika
October 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
You just gotta face it, seriously, your mom has no right to control what you do with your body. Colouring your ends is a minor issue that should not even be an issue. It's basic human right to have full control of your body. You gotta stay strong and know that you can do with your hair ANYTHING and your mother does not even have a moral right to say anything.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Try a braided updo - braid your hair, French braid would be best, but not absolutely necessary, a Dianyla braid will work well too. Feel for the braid's "pocket" underneath. Loosen the pocket if you need to. Tuck the braided length up into the pocket (you can fold it in half if you need to). Voila! Nobody sees the ends.

That sounds like a great idea! It would really hide the black.

Never thought of it this way...might try that then :D

If it was my mom, I'd tell her that I was pregnant and wasn't sure which of three men was the father. When she woke up from her dead faint, I'd tell her I was kidding about the baby and confess about the hair...

Wow, i'm not sure how safe it'd be to tell my 60-year-old mom that :D

luxepiggy
October 9th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Maybe too late but: fully rolled sockbun = ends hiding inside! Even better if you use a black sock (^(oo)^)v

Dreams_in_Pink
October 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Maybe too late but: fully rolled sockbun = ends hiding inside! Even better if you use a black sock (^(oo)^)v

Fully rolled sockbun is one of the things i wish i'm able to do until i die. I just cannot get it right. :(

Unofficial_Rose
October 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM
As MrsGuther and Marika say - please stand up to her and don't let her make you cry.

I actually feel quite angry on you're behalf - you're a 21 year-old woman, and it's none of her business to comment on what you do to your hair.

My dad used to make similar mean remarks about my hair/clothes/life. I have no idea why he thinks he's in a position to criticise.

luxepiggy
October 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Fully rolled sockbun is one of the things i wish i'm able to do until i die. I just cannot get it right. :(

what part gives you issues? I struggled the first few times too (^(oo)^)

XcaliburGirl
October 10th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I agree with those who say you're an adult, you don't need to let your parent berate you for making a decision they don't like. Hair dye is not a life-changing thing, either. It's not like you're ruining your whole life somehow.
My usual advice to someone I know with a similar problem is to calmly say something along the lines of "I'll take those points into consideration. Thank you for your concern."

On the other hand, sometimes it's just better to try to avoid the situation completely. I hid my blue-green ends for work in a french twist. That might work a little better than a bun since the ends get tucked behind the hair close to the head.

hmmm
October 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I just wanted to say - I really like your black ends! And I second the suggestion for the folded french/dutch braids. I wear those all the time, they look awesome.

growing2shine
October 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Well I think your ends look awesome and beautiful, and I hope, if she noticed, she didn't freak to much. About useing oil for stripping out dye, I know that olive oil worked very well for me. :)

teela1978
October 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Its probably a bit late now... I'd call her up while she was still away and tell her. That way she'd have plenty of time to rant and rave away from you, and once she got back home she'd be at least somewhat over it.

Demetrue
October 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Your mom sounds very much like my mom, who was/is an intreated OCD/manic depressive. The only thing that finally helped, was ME going to counseling by myself, even though SHE was the one with the problem, having to interact and have a mother-daughter relationship with her, turned her problem into my problem as well. An objective counselor really helped me see the insanity I had grown up with - that it was NOT normal, and that I was a basically sane person dealing with a disfunctional situation. It was the best thing I ever did and really helped me be the best wife and mom I could be when I got older and had a family of my own.