PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of lurkdom and coconut oil!

Starflower
October 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hello there!
I'm a long time lurker and just recently decided that I could probably find more info if I actually POSTED once in a blue moon =)
So anyway, just wanted to reintroduce myself and ask a quick question.
I bought cocount oil yesterday to use on my ends. My question is, how do you use the coconut oil on your hair? Do you apply it when wet or dry? Do you use it everyday?
Give me the run down folks!

Starflower
October 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hello there!
I'm a long time lurker and just recently decided that I could probably find more info if I actually POSTED once in a blue moon =)
So anyway, just wanted to reintroduce myself and ask a quick question.
I bought cocount oil yesterday to use on my ends. My question is, how do you use the coconut oil on your hair? Do you apply it when wet or dry? Do you use it everyday?
Give me the run down folks!

Hmmm, guess I can't really 'reintroduce' myself when it says this is my first post. I swear I've posted before.
Anyway...HI! I'm Kari, my hair is mid back. Recently decided to let it grow til it stops.
So about that cocount oil.....lol!

Aevra
October 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I don't know about coconut oil, seeing as I can't afford it, so I use my kitchen olive oil. But since they are both oil, they should be similar right?

For me, I apply the oil when my hair is dry and I don't use it every day. If I do then my hair will end up looking like a stringy oil factory. But everyone's hair is different, some people do use theirs every day because the hair drinks it in super quickly. Some people can't use it but once ever week or so. It just depends on what your hair likes.

I say it's time for some experimenting on your part. ^_^

Eire
October 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Kari :)

I use a little bit of coconut oil (just enough to make my palms shiny) on the ends of my dry hair. When the weather is making my hair frizz, sometimes I smooth on a bit more, but my hair tends to go from dry to oil-saturated very fast, so I have to be careful.

The first time I used coconut oil I put way too much on and had cruncy, weighted down hair for three days before I finally managed to wash the last of it out! So be careful :)

jeanniet
October 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Since everyone's hair reacts differently, I'd start with just a tiny scraping of the oil. Put that little bit in your palm, rub your hands together, and then apply to your ends by gently pressing between your palms as you draw your hands down. Try it on dry hair first, then you can try freshly washed hair.

Coconut oil tends to be too heavy for me, so I save it for oilings just before a wash. I never have any trouble getting it out of my hair this way.

Starflower
October 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't know about coconut oil, seeing as I can't afford it, so I use my kitchen olive oil. But since they are both oil, they should be similar right?

For me, I apply the oil when my hair is dry and I don't use it every day. If I do then my hair will end up looking like a stringy oil factory. But everyone's hair is different, some people do use theirs every day because the hair drinks it in super quickly. Some people can't use it but once ever week or so. It just depends on what your hair likes.

I say it's time for some experimenting on your part. ^_^

I agree it's time to experiment! I'm looking forward to it! I have super dry ends and it's weak from being colored.
I bought coconut oil for 6 bucks at the local health food store and it's a huge jar. What's it run by you?

spidermom
October 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I like to use it somewhat generously the day before I plan to wash my hair. If I use it on clean hair, it attracts too much dust/lint and makes my hair all tangly.

alwayssmiling
October 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hi there
I was going to say the same as Eire. Everyone is different with oils and it takes awhile of experimenting to find a routine that will work for you. For me, I use coconut oil (plus other oils) on dry hair maybe once a week a few hours before I know I will shampoo (though it comes out pretty well COwashing too), and I use a very small amount otherwise it can make my hair crunchy and dry feeling. It took me ages to work out what was making my hair so dry and crunchy - I kept putting more and more coconut oil on to help and couldn't work out why it was getting worse. I then read on here that too much coconut oil can give you the crunchies lol.

I also melt a small amount into conditioner too to make a deep treatment which I put on shampooed wet hair.

Starflower
October 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hi Kari :)

I use a little bit of coconut oil (just enough to make my palms shiny) on the ends of my dry hair. When the weather is making my hair frizz, sometimes I smooth on a bit more, but my hair tends to go from dry to oil-saturated very fast, so I have to be careful.

The first time I used coconut oil I put way too much on and had cruncy, weighted down hair for three days before I finally managed to wash the last of it out! So be careful :)

Thank you for that info! That's how I applied it this morning, I used only a tiny bit and used it on my ends. I put it on wet hair though and now it seems to still look wet in spots.

Night_Kitten
October 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I don't know about coconut oil, but I imagine there wouldn't be much difference in rutines between oils, so... I use jojoba oil, a small ammount on my ends after my hair drys, and another one on day 4, on the day before washing I oil my hair more heavily and leave it in for the night... (I wash once a week)

Starflower
October 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I like to use it somewhat generously the day before I plan to wash my hair. If I use it on clean hair, it attracts too much dust/lint and makes my hair all tangly.

Ok so it's not just me! I feel SO tangly today and kind of dirty even though it's freshly washed. Blech.

Siava
October 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thank you for that info! That's how I applied it this morning, I used only a tiny bit and used it on my ends. I put it on wet hair though and now it seems to still look wet in spots.

I had the same problem when applying to wet hair. Well, that and my hair would be stringy. So now I only apply a little to dry ends and a larger amount to all of my hair before a wash.

pepperminttea
October 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hello. :) I use coconut oil as a pre-wash, especially on my ends, quite heavily applied. About a penny-sized disc. I rub it between my palms and then press them either side of my hair, running my hair down - imagine laundry going through an old fashioned mangle; your hands are the rollers, and your hair is the clothing. Only, gently. :o
For a light oiling, I barely need any - about a quarter of a pea-sized amount? Sometimes less; just enough so my palms shine. Generally though I use a lighter oil for non-pre-wash oilings, like Nightblooming's Anointing Oil blend. I do light oilings every other day, and the first application after a wash is usually when my hair's about half-way dry, just after I detangle and comb.

Sooze
October 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Am pleased to see this thread - have been increasing the amount of oil I use, and - up to now - my hair has been drinking it up. BUT, tonight I've got the crunchies. :( Am going to have wash again (and maybe again!) to restore the bounce. So, carefully does it!

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I love coconut oil for deep oilings before a wash, but I can't use it as an every day oil. It's just too rich for my hair, and no matter how little I use, it's just too oily.

I use jojoba oil as my every day oil. It's lighter, and I almost can't feel that it's in my hair. I just use about 5 drops for my entire head and apply from the ears down only.

That's the thing about any product that we discuss at LHC. Everyone's hair reacts differently to it.

Some people swear by certain products or methods, and others have disasters with them.

Anyway, welcome to LHC! :waving:

Fiordiligi
October 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Goodness me, I'm dim - I'd been wondering why there was all that lint in my ends! I never thought to connect it with the coconut oil (which is doing wonders for the said ends, I should add).

Khiwanean
October 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I do a heavy oiling on my length before I shower. I use enough to make it stringy, but not so much that my hands feel gross after running through my hair. It washes out well in the shower with conditioner. I'll also do a light oiling after the shower sometimes. That's maybe a pea sized amount on my ends.

So, a lot on dry hair before a shower or a little on wet hair afterward.

Starflower
October 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I do a heavy oiling on my length before I shower. I use enough to make it stringy, but not so much that my hands feel gross after running through my hair. It washes out well in the shower with conditioner. I'll also do a light oiling after the shower sometimes. That's maybe a pea sized amount on my ends.

So, a lot on dry hair before a shower or a little on wet hair afterward.

I notice a lot of you do this...heavy oil prior to washing. I'm going to try this.
Maybe try the Jojoba for in between washings on my ends.

tinti
October 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hi, and welcome to LHC! I use a teeny weeny scrape of coconut oil from the ears down on dry hair. When I tried to apply on wet hair it got tangly, stringy and wet looking even when it was dry. But everyone is different. Right now I do the tinsy winsy scrape daily and then a hevier overnight treatment the night before I wash it. Or just a couple of hours before if I forgot or something. I'm kind of in the still experimenting mode myself, I've only got my jar for a couple of weeks.

jojo
October 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I lightly oil my ends every morning and I do this on damp hair, I just either wet my comb or palms and rub them through my hair. I use about a pea sized blob, rub in my hands and then apply using a prayer like motion if that makes sense!