PDA

View Full Version : Woven hairstyles at Alexander McQueen show

RedStripe
October 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Have you seen these hairstyles from the fashion show by Sarah Burton, the new designer at Alexander McQueen? Kinda cool, but I can't imagine how long it must take to do this.
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/woven-runway-hairstyle

CourtneyBee
October 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Incredible! Not to mention, there is some serious hair inspiration in the rest of that album! Good find!

Jasperine
October 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Love them! Just a shame that you can see how stiff they've had to make the hair for making it last.. Looks good nevertheless!

Calaelen
October 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
That first pic is gorgeous! Also, that is one of the neatest albums I've looked through in a while, thanks for sharing :)

VintageBrooklyn
October 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
That is mind blowing! Thank you for posting, I had fun looking at the pictures!!!

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Some of those in the gallery were scary :x. But the one that looks like a woven basket is kind of cool but.. wow XD. I don't think that could be done with my hair.

Quahatundightu
October 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Wow that's stunning!! I suppose they use extensions to fill out their hair as well.. hmm..

pepperminttea
October 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Wow, that looked so complex! :bigeyes: I wish there'd been a picture of what they'd done with the hair at the back of the head, it looked woven but 'up'.

Thanks for sharing. :)

sakuraemily
October 7th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Wow! But that is complicated.

spidermom
October 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I noticed that the weft in most of those was a different color than the warp, so I think they were using extensions for the horizontal runs.

Very cool; loved it.

Luckysock
October 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
how beautiful. I wonder how that might translate into mainstream fashion maybe a woven headband kind of thing - or one woven strand loose in the hair.... anyone want to try it out?

Luckysock
October 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Wow, that looked so complex! :bigeyes: I wish there'd been a picture of what they'd done with the hair at the back of the head, it looked woven but 'up'.

Yeah - to me it looks like the wove it in the same way as the two side pieces but then folded it and pinned it to the scalp...

katha
October 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I really don't like this. Thank you for posting anyway, it sure is interesting!

KatKeRo
October 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I think those woven styles are ugly.

phistash
October 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
how beautiful. I wonder how that might translate into mainstream fashion maybe a woven headband kind of thing - or one woven strand loose in the hair.... anyone want to try it out?

Ha ha, Alexander McQueen is so not mainstream. But leave it to the fashion industry to find a way to make this into a trend.

(I'm still mad at them for deciding that leather motorcycle jackets were the "in" thing last fall, making my own dearly beloved jacket "last season" this year...jerks :D).

ButterCup02
October 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Wow that's neat! I can't imagine how long that would take to do. I think there are probably extensions in there too. I wouldn't do it with my hair, but it is neat to see and I bet it looks cool on the runway!

pennyroyal
October 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Oooh, i love it! Alexander McQueen shows are always amazing & it looks like they've done it again! I would love to be able to do that with my hair. Maybe someday... Thanks for sharing this.

mariika
October 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I wanna try this! And I want this to go mainstream!!! This is SO MIND WRECKING, SO NEW and at the same time it's not as over the top as it might seem! It's quite simple in a way. Just a sophisticated way to weave one's hair, but it's not those super modern, super emancipated, super weird dos we are seduced by all the time. I LOVE this!

Btw I don't think those are necessarily extensions, some of the runway models are known for having long hair and hair on ends is certainly lighter than on roots so those could well be their own hair.

growing2shine
October 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM
It's funny... So many times with fashion I think about interesting stuff like this just before they come out. Not to long ago I was day dreaming about these kind of woven hairstyles. :D

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I really enjoyed those photos. They inspire me to want to try something new. I know I'd never be able to achieve those looks on my own hair, but it did give me some ideas.

Thanks for sharing that find!

TrudieCat
October 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
This is very cool! Whether or not extensions were used on those models, I think this sort of style could definitely be done on hair without extensions. It looks really new and interesting. Thanks for posting!

PineappleJello
October 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM
http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/phpthumbnails/77298_7_468.jpeg

I really like that hairstyle :)

Anje
October 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Reminds me of Yeoman Rand's hair (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Janice_Rand) in Star Trek.

triumphator!
October 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Oh hm, I've never thought of horizontal basketweave. Although I bet most of that hair is fake, it looks really cool!

NotLostYet
October 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
it seems like it would be easier to start the 'weave' with clipped in pieces of hair. It might be really fun to see with different-colored clip in extensions for the 'weft' pieces.

slz
October 7th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I really enjoyed those photos. They inspire me to want to try something new.
Same here !
If I find some time and if I'm not too lazy, I'll try to do something inspired by this this week end ... will have to think of it.

Krentje
October 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Wow, thanks for posting! It does look like a lot of extensions, but
Maybe it would be possible to have hair woven with some sort of fabric? like hair for the vertical, and horizontal for a strip of satin/cotton fabric. O my, i can't wait to try..

KittyLost
October 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
That checkered second one would look awesome with two different colours of hair :)