PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your coconut oil?

tinti
October 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I used to store mine in the bathroom but found out that it wasn't solid when I did that (hate sticking my fingers into it and finding that it's floating :p) Then I tried the window sill, but it got "unsolid" there too. So, where do you keep your coonut oil to make it solid and not rancid?

swivelhop
October 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Mine's in the fridge.

tinti
October 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
That's where mine's too atm :)

pepperminttea
October 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Fridge door. When summer rolled around I kept spilling it by accident, so now I keep it solid.

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Boyfriend's house is normally pretty cool, so in the container mine is in, it stays solid -shrugs- I keep it in the bathroom.

tinti
October 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
It'll be colder in here soon, brrr, bet it'll stay solid pretty much whatever I do to get some warmth in here in the winter :p

AstrayStar
October 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I keep my big jug of coconut oil in the fridge and I keep a very small container of it in my computer room, where I spend most of my time. I just keep refilling the small container.

Arianwen
October 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Mine was in the fridge, but we're not getting 90f+ anymore so I put it in a cupboard in the kitchen.

virgo75
October 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I keep the original jar of coconut oil in my kitchen cupboard, but pour some into an empty(thoroughly washed and dried) dishwashing liquid bottle to keep in the bathroom cabinet under the sink. I usually do my hair in the bathroom.

katha
October 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Mine's in the bathroom and stays solid there. :)

HintOfMint
October 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Mine is in a squeeze bottle (yeah I know, genius manufacturers:rolleyes:) so I prefer it to be not perfectly solid, but soft. Right now, on my desk is just fine. I can't put it on my bedside "table" because that is my AC unit and it practically freezes solid.

BrightEyes7
October 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I keep mine in the fridge door... Otherwise it'll be liquid!

I live in the desert so it is always warm here. Even in the winter I need to keep it in the fridge or it melts!

tinti
October 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Thank you all! Probably best I'll keep having it in the fridge then :)

growing2shine
October 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I store mine in the bathroom most of the year, but in the summer I store it in the fridge. And it's quite annoying when it's to hot, and the coconut oil gets liquid (out of the fridge), because I can't stand when it's rock hard solid either.

jeanniet
October 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Mine's in the kitchen. My house is almost always cool, so at most the oil gets a little soft and runny. That only happens a few times a year. :) If yours liquefies in the summer, I'd just keep it in the fridge.

Khiwanean
October 7th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I keep it under the sink in the bathroom. It stays solid there - at least at my apartment. I also have a jar of it under the bathroom sink at my parent's house, but there it does tend to get a little liquidy on top. But even then, it just pools in the low spots. It's never enough to completely cover the top.

Crackaleen
October 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Mine is in a squeeze bottle (yeah I know, genius manufacturers:rolleyes:) so I prefer it to be not perfectly solid, but soft.

Mine too, I wonder if we have the same brand. ;) That was all I could find when I first bought it - I didn't realize you could also buy it in jars, but I've since found some jarred stuff and will be buying that once this bottle runs out. I keep mine in the bathroom, either on the sink or in the cabinet.

Siava
October 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
On my vanity. It's mostly solid except for a tiny pool of liquid in the center on top. I like that. :)

sunrain
October 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Is it bad if it gets liquidy? I personally don't care whether it's liquid or solid form, but does melting and solidifying again affect the integrity of the oil? I hope not, because it was so warm the day I bought the jar that the whole thing liquified!

Anje
October 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I've got a little (think mineral makeup foundation-sized) container that I keep a small amount in, in the bathroom. The main jar stays in the fridge.

2peasinapod
October 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I keep mine on my night table. My room is in the basement, so it's always cool there :). One time I put a jar in the glovebox, then forgot and went somewhere else (in the summer, too)! Ooops :o.

breezefaerie
October 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I actually like mine to be liquidy. I keep it in the bathroom.

tinti
October 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Is it bad if it gets liquidy? I personally don't care whether it's liquid or solid form, but does melting and solidifying again affect the integrity of the oil? I hope not, because it was so warm the day I bought the jar that the whole thing liquified!

I've been that way since I was little ... can't stand stuff that runs/smears on my hands. When I was a 1 year old and on the beach for the first time I cryed in the water because my feet was covered in wet sand :p and btw it's easier to tell how much to take when it's in a solid form, I think.

I just left it in the fridge today and when I came home from dinner with my dad it was all nice and solid :)

jojo
October 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Mine is kept in the bathroom, I dont mind it going a little watery.

RadiantNeedle
October 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Now that its getting warmer, my main jar lives in the fridge. I also keep some by the bed >.>

Carolyn
October 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I keep mine on a shelf in my bathroom. I keep my house fairly cool all year around. It's hardly ever been unsolid.

MissManda
October 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
In the summertime, I definitely have to store my coconut oil in the fridge otherwise it melts completely. In the cooler months, I can store it in the bathroom without any problems. :)

anemix1005
October 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I keep it next to my bed and it's always liquid, is it bad? o.o

Capybara
October 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Depends. Sometimes I keep it in the fridge, sometimes in the bathroom. For the past month or so, it's been in the bathroom. I keep a small container on the counter, and the larger one tucked in a drawer :)

HintOfMint
October 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Mine too, I wonder if we have the same brand. ;) That was all I could find when I first bought it - I didn't realize you could also buy it in jars, but I've since found some jarred stuff and will be buying that once this bottle runs out. I keep mine in the bathroom, either on the sink or in the cabinet.

I use Parachute. It works well, but I'm not a fan of the smokey scent. What is the name of the jarred kind you found? How does it smell?

shockinglength
October 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I store mine in my bedroom (with the rest of my hair stuff) And it NEVER gets liquid-y.

vanessa_2010
October 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I keep mine in the bathroom. It´s funny how I thought everyone would prefer it liquid but apparently it´s the opposite!
I guess I find it easier to use when it´s liquid because mine is on a dispenser bottle, and when it gets colder I have to warm it up and melt it before I use it...

misspriss
October 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I keep mine under the sink. It stays solid.

During the summer, it was mainly liquid-ish (not completely liquid, but not completely solid) we kept our apartment around 77-78 degrees. I prefer it slightly liquid. I don't like how it gets under my fingernails when I dig it out when it is solid. I hate stuff under my fingernails, even if it comes right out it is like I can still feel it there for a long time. I haven't spilt it yet, so that probably would change my mind about liking it liquid too!

It might help to say that my hair didn't like coconut oil, so I use it for my legs after shaving. Measuring is not precise at all.

dainaleeo2
October 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
hah i hate when you just stick your fingers in too & realize that its melted...bleh. not a nice surprise. i prefer mine hardened as well. so, i store it under my bathroom sink, along with my olive oil & sweet almond oil. normally stays hard :)
we have a colder apartment though [thanks to my roommate who is AC happy ] so that might help. when i stored it at home it was warmer...so i guess it just depends. its easier for me in the bathroom since thats the only place i use it

longhairtobe
October 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I store mine in my bedroom and it doesn't melt or whatever. Yesterday though I had it in my car (because i spent the night at my DBF) and I got up early to go to the library to study and I wasn't planning on going back over so took all my stuff with me and just left it in my back seat. I remembered at about 3 in the afternoon so I rushed out to my car to 'save' it and it had all melted! so I got home as soon as possible and put it in an ice bath to 'make it better' my DBF looked at me like i was crazy! maybe I am a little but I don't like it when its gets all liquidy :shrug:

Miasen
October 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have mine in the bookshelf in my dorm room. In the summer it was liquid, about a month ago it was finally cool enough for it to harden. I much prefer it like it is now. :p