PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to making a gibson tuck stay

4ourgrls
October 6th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I finally got my hair in to a gibson tuck yesterday, and it looked really pretty, I used a comb in the middle and 3 hair pins to hold it all together, by the time I got in the car and half way to where I was going, it felt really loose, by the time I got there, it was falling out.

I have really fine slippery hair, are there any tricks to making it stay where it's supposed to be?
Thanks!

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Well, I often hold a Gibson tuck with just one bobby pin (or two to be very secure) and then one barrette to close the gap above the tuck.

I also have very slippery hair.

The important thing to do is to make sure that when you use the bobby pins (I'll suggest you use two), you make sure to put the pins through the ponytail holder and make sure to grab some scalp hair as well.

I would also recommend putting the pins in an x shape.

Sometime it just takes a bit of practice, but you'll get it. Your hair is the perfect length for that style right now.

irisheyes
October 7th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I just use one mini jaw clip, making sure to clip a small amount from each side of the Gibson tuck and including some hair close to the scalp. You can still add an ornament if desired. This method worked the best for me.

pepperminttea
October 7th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I was never very good at making a neat one (and now they give me tangles of doom), but I used to find a barrette over the opening would make mine a lot more secure.

Fiordiligi
October 7th, 2010, 06:43 AM
The important thing to do is to make sure that when you use the bobby pins (I'll suggest you use two), you make sure to put the pins through the ponytail holder and make sure to grab some scalp hair as well.

I do the same as FrannyG - I normally stick just one short Amish pin through the hair elastic and down.

Oh, and while I somethimes use a comb, I find an extra-small Flexi-8 holds it really, really well.

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I just wanted to add, because I don't think I was clear about it, that when you put the pins in through the ponytail holder and scalp hair, the idea is to pin the ponytail holder to sit next to your scalp, under the tuck.

Using combs is nice, but I think that when you're first learning, using barrettes or Flexi-8s to finish off the style and close up the gap in the hair above the tuck may be more secure.

Sometimes combs have a way of working themselves out of your hair in a Gibson Tuck and they could interfere with the pins that are holding the tuck into place.

Anje
October 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I recommend growing the hair below your ears to super-thickness before attempting a Gibson tuck. (And if you figure out how to manage this, please inform me!)

Otherwise, the loops of hair in the tuck are likely to sneak out the bottom, and the whole thing falls apart.

torrilin
October 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
What usually makes mine fail is that the "pocket" isn't as secure as it should be. Don't try and make it a really deep "pocket". Think wide rather than deep as you're threading hair in, and it's not a bad idea to loosely twist the ponytail so you can get it in where you want it. Once I've got the hair in securely, I can hold it with a single claw clip. Not the absolute smallest size, one up from that. If I were going for decorated, I'd start by picking up a decorated claw clip in the right size, since I haven't found a better way to make it hold yet.

habioku
October 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Recently I heard a trick about the gibson tuck:

To avoid that the ends are visible trought the "bag", on can use a nylon sock (the best is near the haircolor) and pull it over the ponytail before tucking, so the hair is hold together and its easier to fix the whole thing.

Laurenji
October 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM

To avoid that the ends are visible trought the "bag", on can use a nylon sock (the best is near the haircolor) and pull it over the ponytail before tucking, so the hair is hold together and its easier to fix the whole thing.

That sounds fantastic! I just wish I had a nylon sock to try it with. Ever since my hair grew out past APL, my Gibson Tucks "leak" out the bottom. Which is a shame, since I love that hairstyle...

Teazel
October 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM

A hair net works, too.

Hana212
October 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry... could someone post a pic or explain to me a gibson tuck??

xxx

habioku
October 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry... could someone post a pic or explain to me a gibson tuck??

xxx

I made a video tutorial of it: Gibson tuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JZOVnSjjE)

bumblebums
October 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I recommend growing the hair below your ears to super-thickness before attempting a Gibson tuck. (And if you figure out how to manage this, please inform me!)

Otherwise, the loops of hair in the tuck are likely to sneak out the bottom, and the whole thing falls apart.

Yeah, that's my problem... I managed to get it to stay a couple of times when my hair was closer to shoulder length, but now that it's past APL, it always peeks through and falls out.

I think thickness is one factor; another factor is how stiff/springy your hair is. Mine doesn't like to fold into the pocket.

FrannyG
October 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah, that's my problem... I managed to get it to stay a couple of times when my hair was closer to shoulder length, but now that it's past APL, it always peeks through and falls out.

I think thickness is one factor; another factor is how stiff/springy your hair is. Mine doesn't like to fold into the pocket.

I can't do a Gibson Tuck the usual way (like in habioku's beautiful video) anymore now that my hair is a little longer. I made a video tutorial on another way to make a Gibson Tuck for longer hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4EdtIbV-Ag). It may work for you. I hope so.

It all depends on our hair texture and thickness, but I've seen people with tailbone length hair still be able to do Gibson Tucks. I guess it's just a matter of figuring out how it works for you.

bumblebums
October 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I can't do a Gibson Tuck the usual way (like in habioku's beautiful video) anymore now that my hair is a little longer. I made a video tutorial on another way to make a Gibson Tuck for longer hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4EdtIbV-Ag). It may work for you. I hope so.

It all depends on our hair texture and thickness, but I've seen people with tailbone length hair still be able to do Gibson Tucks. I guess it's just a matter of figuring out how it works for you.

Ooh, I didn't know you had a youtube channel, FrannyG! Thanks!

I have tried rolling the hair before tucking it in, but it still pokes out... Maybe I need to practice more. I've also tried the multiple pull-through method, as in Emichiee's video (http://www.youtube.com/user/diesushibitch#p/u/16/NSARin9SJrY). But I think I don't have enough length at the moment to make it look good. For the time being, my conclusion is that I'm at an annoying in-between length where old styles have stopped working and new ones haven't started yet...

FrannyG
October 8th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Ooh, I didn't know you had a youtube channel, FrannyG! Thanks!

I have tried rolling the hair before tucking it in, but it still pokes out... Maybe I need to practice more. I've also tried the multiple pull-through method, as in Emichiee's video (http://www.youtube.com/user/diesushibitch#p/u/16/NSARin9SJrY). But I think I don't have enough length at the moment to make it look good. For the time being, my conclusion is that I'm at an annoying in-between length where old styles have stopped working and new ones haven't started yet...

Yep--we all hit that length at one time or another. It's all good though because in just a month or two, everything will change. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll get there! :blossom:

Laurenji
October 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Yay! I'm so going to have to try that. Thank you!!

restourceful
October 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
FrannyG you are brilliant! :applause:

4ourgrls
October 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I managed to get it almost good today, I actually liked the way it came out because I had little spiky ends poking out of the top. :) It was really cute!

Hana212
October 8th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I made a video tutorial of it: Gibson tuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JZOVnSjjE)

Thank-you!

oh wow that is amazing.. definitely giving it a try next time I wash my hair (currently curly from braids and I don't think it would quite look the same)

RecklessCharlie
October 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I used to LOVE the Gibson tuck but unfortunately my ends 'leak' out as well because my hair is far too long for thing style now :(

melikai
October 9th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I sort of do the same thing as Franny does, but I fold and roll my hair over itself, and into the pocket.

The problem I have is that the sides are always quite loose. I really don't know why. Maybe I'm pulling from the sides to make the pocket, rather than the top? :hmm: