PDA

View Full Version : Before you started taking better care of your hair, did you ever try out a shampoo

TealDolphin
October 6th, 2010, 11:14 PM
or another hair product and wonder why it didn't work right? I hope this makes sense, haah.

missjessiecakes
October 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
No usually it would work the first time and then never would again.

little_cherry
October 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm the same as missjessiecakes...the product worked the first time and then stopped working.

Ahh, life before LHC and clarifying was expensive...

christine1989
October 6th, 2010, 11:49 PM
No hair product EVER lives up to the thick, shiny hair the commercial depicts ;). Whenever I try out a new, trendy product it usually leaves my hair worse off than it originally was.

Dars
October 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Before LHC I never had expectations of my hair being transformed into anything but what it was already. My shampoo usage before and now has only one expectation: to clean hair. In regards to a product "working right" I always knew that you have to try it to see what it would do for your hair.

RachelRain
October 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Dittoing the above. I always bought shampoo and conditioner solely for washing my hair - whether it's shiny, thick, etc. has more to do with genes in my opinion than a shampoo or conditioner.

That said, I did get a root volumizer thing from a friend once (she got sick of how my hair has no lift near the scalp because the weight of it just pulls it down) and SHE was the one upset that it didn't work, even though I told her before I used it that it wouldn't. It was amusing for me, at least :)

swivelhop
October 7th, 2010, 12:53 AM
My hair could careless about shampoo. Now conditioner.... there is definately 'effects' there. Bigger, flatter, heavier, fly away, curlier, straighter... its just not usually what the bottle says the effect is :eek:. Changeing conditioner is like changing hair to me. Dry use leave-ins I've never managed to distribute evenly which reduces thier charm.

Night_Kitten
October 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I don't think I had that experience with a shampoo, but it definitely happened with a hair-mask... It was supposed to be nurturing and moisturising, but instead made my hair yucky and lifeless... (later, when I joined LHC, I figured out the problem - it was LOADED with protein, and my hair doesn't like protein...)

Bast
October 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM
or another hair product and wonder why it didn't work right? I hope this makes sense, haah.

Yep. Volumizing? Erm...right. Moisturizing? Maybe?

My hair is about as stubborn as you can get.

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Before LHC, I never was satisfied with any product because I always shampooed my entire hair, and then conditioned it. Since I've only been conditioning the length now, and shampooing the scalp, and NOT washing my hair daily.. there's a HUGE difference, and with the same shampoo I've been using! Silly me!

andrea1982
October 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I used to wonder why "cheaper" shampoos and conditioners like suave and vo5 didn't work for me at all. Now I know it's because my hair loves cones, and the shampoos were a bit too stripping for me.

Fiordiligi
October 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Actually, before I started lurking at LHC, I was firmly of the belief that my hair couldn't respond to fancy products because they made it "too slippy" and that it was better for my hair to be a bit dull and rough (because it was being washed daily with a harsh clarifying shampoo) because that gave it a bit of body in between the greasy times. I've come a long way....

aenflex
October 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Heck yes~! Every product that claimed to make hair shiny, smooth and managable, well, they never did. It wasn't the products - it was me!

Anje
October 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I did... Maybe a year pre-LHC, I decided that I really ought to take better care of my hair and start using products that were supposed to be "better" for my hair. I was married and not a poor college student, and could actually afford to get something other than the bargain-basement Suave products I'd been using.

So I got a bunch of Aussie stuff.

It gave me dandruff.

So I went back to the cheap stuff... Definitely a good case of "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

virgo75
October 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I might be odd person out here, but I didn't experiment much before I found hair care boards(including LHC) and wanted to take better care of my hair.

I used Pantene until they changed the formula, then I used mostly Infusium & L'Oreal Smooth Vive. Once in a blue moon I'd use the old Herbal Essences formula in the pink bottle for damaged or color treated hair. That's about it. :shrug: