PDA

View Full Version : The stylist asked, "Do you ALWAYS shed like this??"

Curlsgirl
May 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM
When I went to the hair salon for my highlights, the stylist asked me this question. I told her I hadn't washed in a few days and wear my hair up and braided a lot so that might be it. I am noticing I am losing hair in other places too for instance my arms and eyebrows. I had my thyroid checked and other blood tests and they come back okay though. I am a little concerned though and especially after she said that. Hope it IS just normal shedding. I have never had hair this long before so not sure. Should I actually count the shed hairs?

girlcat36
May 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I was counting mine for a while, it helped to figure out if my routine to stop shedding was working.

shellblue1
May 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with having curly hair. I have naturally curly hair too and I shed a lot! I wonder if curly haired people shed more than straight haired people.

Riot Crrl
May 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
It's normal to lose a lot of hairs in one day. Since you have curly hair, I would assume that if you didn't wash you also didn't comb/brush it out either. Plus, if you had straight hair, the sheds might be more likely to simply slip out onto the sidewalk or elsewhere in your environment. The simple physics of curly hair means that sheds tend to stay in there until we rinse, comb, etc.

One more thing, your hair is not only curly but LONG, so the stylist could have looked at a wad of hair that was only actually for example 15 shed hairs, but looked bigger than the wad she gets from straight and shorter haired clients when they shed 80 hairs.

doodlesmart
May 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
It's also normal to go through periods of higher shedding and lower shedding. If you think about it, your hair started growing about the time you were born. If your hairs have a certain lifetime (which is probably similar for groups of hairs), say 7 years for the sake of argument. Then when you are 7 you would expect a major shed, again at 14 etc, though it would spread out and lessen as you got older. Also, we still have some seasonal shedding like animals, so perhaps you are just losing your winter coat as it were.

akurah
May 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Dude, i bet a stylist would faint if they saw how much I shed. And my hair ain't thinning for it, either!

CurlyOne
May 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Some days I shed more than others but somedays I have a massive shed for no apparent reason. I don't think I would worry too much about it.

One more thing, your hair is not only curly but LONG, so the stylist could have looked at a wad of hair that was only actually for example 15 shed hairs, but looked bigger than the wad she gets from straight and shorter haired clients when they shed 80 hairs.
That's a very good point. Long hair will always look like more when it is bunched up in a mass in a brush.

Starr
May 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I think that the longer the hair, the noticable the shed strands are. . . Plus like Riot Crrl said, curly shed hairs tend to hang around rather than just fall out, so when you eventually get around to washing it just looks like a ton of hair. I know when I wash and detangle my hair it looks like I'm losing a ton of hair, but then I have to take into account that I haven't detangled in over a week and I've been wearing my hair up, so shed hairs have had no way to escape. Plus since my hair isn't getting any thinner, why worry?

Finoriel
May 26th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I think you need not to worry about this.
Most stylists see only freshly washed hair, because many people wash their hair right before an appointment, just to let it was again :rolleyes: Itīs pretty normal to shed more when you have not washed your hair for a few days because you skipped the shedding of letīs say 3 daily washes and shed it in one.
The other aspect is that you have thick and long hair, many stylistīs do not get to see something similar for years :p I have counted my "ball" of shed hairs after washing, it has been only about 30 hairs but looked scary big just because of their length producing volume... with structured (wavy, curly) hair it may appear even bigger. If I would cut my shed hairs to an average length of 15cm bob-length 30 shed-hairs would look like shedding nothing :) when the length of a shed-hair doubles, triples, etc. it looks like the doubled, tripled, etc. amount of hair. Orpbably she did not think about this.
Third aspect is that there are some stylists who just need to talk all the time :wink: and itīs their job to sell things like hair-loss prevention cream and gentle shampoo with magic special ingredients which glue your hair in place :eyebrows: or such.

k_hepburn
May 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM
One think I've noticed is that I shed more on washing days if I spread the washings further apart. Even by just one day. It seems, that the majority of my "quota" takes leave during or just after a wash, so if I hold of longer with washing, there are more hairs ready to "jump".

Another thing I'm quite convinced off is that my shedding is influenced by the seasons / weather. I tend to moult like a bird in spring, getting a somewhat lighter "cover" for summer.

And off course, there is the matter of perception. Your stylist was probably going by the AMOUNT of hair she saw on her comb / brush / the floor rather than the numbers, and, as we all know, one long hair can easily be the equivalent of 20 (30, 40, 60 ...) hairs from a person with a short hair cut :D .

Greetings

katharine

florenonite
May 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Your hair's also really thick, and as a fellow iii, I shed small animals regularly XP.

morgwn
May 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I think you just need to make sure your hair doesn't look any thinner to you. If it doesn't, don't worry about it. Also, in the warmer months I tend to shed more and have faster growth, so it could be the time of year, as well.

And it is true that with curly hair it's less likely to just slip out and rather I find that I shed or find all of my shed hairs when I'm combing my hair in the shower. I have also noticed that I shed less hairs now than I used to but it sometimes seems like more because a wad of long hair can be just 15 hairs whereas short hair needs 50 or so to make the same size wad.

lapushka
May 26th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I second Riot Crrl. Since going curly girl (the CG method by Lorraine Massey), I've noticed a different pattern too. I only comb right before washing and during washing sometimes, so that's when all the hairs come out. I never comb or brush in between and I don't lose many hairs daily, they all come out before/during washing. So it looks like a lot, more than when it's flatironed.

FrannyG
May 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I think you answered your own question, Curlsgirl. If you hadn't washed your hair in a few days and you wore it up and braided in the meantime, hairs that had shed during those days were still in the braid or bun. You likely had 4 or 5 days worth of shed hairs by the time the hairdresser got to you.

Don't forget that many hairdressers see women with shorter hair that's washed and blowdried daily, so their shed hairs come out on a regular basis, not all at once, when their hair is let down.

I wouldn't give it another thought, sweetie. :flowers:

Wanita
May 26th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Everyone has commented about the hair loss on your head. What about the loss of other body hair? Is that why you had your thyroid and such checked out? I was just wondering if a doctor had a reason one would lose other body hair. I'm just curious. Sometimes my eyebrows 'shed', but not a lot.

I would like to lose arm and leg hair, but not if it meant a medical problem!

FrannyG
May 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Everyone has commented about the hair loss on your head. What about the loss of other body hair? Is that why you had your thyroid and such checked out? I was just wondering if a doctor had a reason one would lose other body hair. I'm just curious. Sometimes my eyebrows 'shed', but not a lot.

I would like to lose arm and leg hair, but not if it meant a medical problem!

It seemed to me that Curlsgirl was implying that she was getting her thyroid tested with the body hair loss as part of the reason.

I know that I have less arm and eyebrow hair now than I did 10 years ago, and I have no glandular disorders of any sort. Sometimes it's just part of being a woman of a certain age.

Kirin
May 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Everyone sheds a certain amount a day, though offhand I forget the average. If you do not wash daily, and hair is protected/up, and not being brushed or manipulated, the hairs that would normally fall are just "waiting" ....

So when a major manipulation happens, voila, LOTS of shed hair. It is hair that would have come out daily under other manipulation, but with such good protection, its not..... so it comes out all at once when its finally handled.

Curlsgirl
May 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks so much everyone! You all have MANY good points! I guess my eyebrow thing was what shook me up the most and then noticing my arms have less hair too. I am glad someone mentioned just regular part of approaching menopause because that is sort of what I suspected too, some of the stuff that goes with that is taking me by surprise and is even a little scary admittedly. Thanks and smooches to everyone! I do feel like I still have plenty of hair for sure. The styist commented on that too. She didn't suggest even one product either. I LOVED that! She asked me what I use and said I take care of my hair really well, she could tell. That made my day for sure!