PDA

View Full Version : Confession time: do you sometimes wear an updo for several days?

VenusHalley
October 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I sometimes put my hair up in a way that does not bother me when I sleep in it... than I just fix it briefly in the morning and go...

Please, don't be horrified... :cheese:

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM
From what I read, wearing your hair up a lot is good for it and protects it. So bravo? :p. I don't particularly fancy myself un updos, and neither does the boyfriend, and so I generally wear it down. Except today. Today I put a little too much oil in it :x.

paperwhite
October 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Yup, I've had buns that held up really well over night and just smoothing out the top layer of hair and combing my bangs was enough to look presentable :)

KristiLe
October 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
most of the time I will go from a sleeping updo, like double french braids, to another updo for the day.

rags
October 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
No, but I would love to be able to do this! Unfortunately, my baby fine slippery hair escapes during the night and it's not a pleasant sight!
ETA; I would be perfectly happy just to have my hair make it through the day, actually! Whilst buns usually do, I've already had to redo my English braid once today because I took a short nap on the couch. :rolleyes:

spidermom
October 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'm a tosser and turner, so I really have to comb out and do something with my hair every morning, otherwise it's a huge tangled mess.

Merewen
October 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
If I'm not going out at all I will sometimes not bother. If I'm going to be seen in public, though, I can't just leave it. Every hair that is short enough to stick out somewhere will after a night. If I could do that, though, I probably would.

Lemur_Catta
October 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Sometimes my hair stays in the same braid for two or three days, if I don't have to go out :D
Some times I have also gone out with my night braid, usually when I have to do something that doesn't really involve a lot of human contact, like picking my sister up at school.
But I have never done that with a bun, because I can only make bun stays with pins or sticks or hard things, and I don't like sleeping with something hard on my head.

2peasinapod
October 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D

I braid my hair before I go to sleep, and if I can't be bothered to fix my hair in the morning, I just throw a pretty scarf over it and go! Sometimes I clip the braid up (it's finally long enough to poke out the end of the scarf :D!), and sometimes I just tuck it into a coat or something.

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
On the weekends, if it stays put I will. But not for work.

cmnt831
October 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I sometimes wish that would be possible for me, too. My updos, braids, etc. last barely a few hours on a good day.

Capybara
October 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I sometimes put my hair up in a way that does not bother me when I sleep in it... than I just fix it briefly in the morning and go...

I sometimes don't even take the time to fix it in the morning ... :rolleyes: Hey, I can get away with it though - if I braid my bangs into the updo, the whole thing stays together and un-messy for days on end. I've gone 3 days with the same double dutch braids, but on the third day I had to redo the English braided part of them - the top wasn't fuzzy, but the tassles sure were :lol:

trillcat
October 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I live pretty much in a braid, a semi high up ponytail braided. I wake up, comb out the sleep snarls and back it goes into the braid.
My gosh I need a new something to do with my hair!

Alcenaia
October 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
If I put it in a crown braid, I can get away with two days, although on the second day things are pretty fuzzy. I usually do a low English braid to sleep, and sometimes I'll alternate between having that wadded into a Ficcare during the day and down at night for a couple days if I'm super busy.

pepperminttea
October 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Since I switched to a silk pillowcase, and I'm not such a frizzhead in the mornings (though still my halo :p ), I do sometimes just smooth my hands over my frizz with a tiny bit of oil and leave my sleep braid be. Only if I'm not going out though; fuzzy sleep braid for lounging around the house is comfy. :)

Fiordiligi
October 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
No, never, though it would be great if I could. But I have a funny parting / double crown thingy which always makes an appearance at the back of my head given time, so I wouldn't really ever feel happy starting the day with an old plait or updo. :(

cindy58
October 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
No to wearing the same updo for more than a day at a time. But I have tossed my hair up into a quick cinnabun without combing it beforehand and gone to work/left the house with it like that.

MandyBeth
October 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I have Dutch braided pigtails in since yesterday morning when DF braided my hair while it was damp. Slept in 'em, looked at my hair this morning and figured wasn't worth the time to mess with it. Yes, I'm at work and in public.

Alas tho, erm, my hair is still not dry from yesterday all the way.

pookatrina
October 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
If I'm not going anywhere I often do.

PrincessBob
October 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I frequently did this/ do this with my braids. When it starts looking messy and I pretend that it is on purpose.

pineconejg
October 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
There's no way--- my slippery hair is lucky to stay up for 7 hours.

JenniferNoel
October 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I wish my hair could do that. Not only do I have slippery hair, but when I sleep, I tend to be very squirmy and fidgety most nights (although I do dream quite enjoyably). My hair has to be contained in a scarf every night.
I hope when my hair gets long again it will be better at holding up-dos than it was last time.

candlesandfish
October 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I've left the same braid in for days before, even going out in public :) If it's done tightly enough to begin with it's ok

Monsterkitti
October 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
If my updo from overnight is still firm in the morning Ive been known to put a buff over the top of it and go out to work :)

I usually wear messy buns anyway so wearing a style for a few days doesnt do much harm.

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM

I have never tried that, but hey if it works for you then I say go for it! I am bothered by updo's when I sleep so I wear my hair loose. Sounds like you have found a great time saver!

RadiantNeedle
October 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM
This is generally how I roll. One or two braids that I wear for a couple of days between washes. I don't think I even know what my hair type is any more. I tried last night, clarified, started waiting for it to dry... But it took too long and I got bored and stuck it in a braid and read a book!

wimsey
October 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I've done it with buns and braids. A bun will usually last 2 days at most though before becoming too loose. I think it works better the longer my hair gets.

kwaniesiam
October 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I would if it stayed in and looking nice. When my hair was longer I got it braided at a Renaissance Festival in a 5 strand dutch braid and kept it in for 2 days before it got too fuzzy and messy and I had to take it out.

princessp
October 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
No I don't do that, but I totally would if I could get away with it!

Jessica Trapp
October 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Yes--as long as it looks okay. Sometimes if I'm really rushed (or lazy) I wear a buff and don't bother with my hair at all.

trolleypup
October 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Usually I don't, but sometimes, if I pass out before taking the bun down (and I'm not much of a tosser and turner) it will be intact the next morning...although my lazy bun often gets redone from time to time as it relaxes...so it will be not bunned for 30 seconds now and then.

And when I am doing backpacking and trailwork, often it will go up in a pony scrub for multiple days.

may1em
October 7th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Double French braids done on damp hair and taped down with ribbon can sometimes make a nice Chinese bun the next day.

Normally, though, my hair fuzzes out too much. I'm also a head scratcher (I know I shouldn't!) and that means that I mess my hair up too much.

I will confess to going from day bun to sleep bun to another day bun without combing or brushing, though.

hanne jensen
October 8th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I sometimes leave my hair in the same up do for days at a time! I try to leave my hair alone as much as possible. My hair is thanking me for it.

KittyLost
October 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I do this with ponytails and braids and pigtails haha I'd do it with a bun but my hair isn't long enough to keep it in place :(

Laululintu
October 8th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I do that with both braids and updos, so you're definitely not the only one :)

In2wishin
October 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I will do this sometimes with a cinnabun, especially in the summer. I found that I can get it really secure with either 2 jumbo bobby pins or 2 spin pins. In the summer, the humidity makes my hair fluff so much more so it actually holds the bun in place so I often don't take it down until the next washing.