PDA

View Full Version : Is my comb damaging my hair?

LisaMonster
October 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
At least once a day, usually twice, I separate my hair into sections, run through it with my comb, and then a boar bristle brush.

My question is whether or not the comb I'm using is damaging or not.

This is it:
http://img.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/04319418074_450x450_a.jpg

I use a wider toothed comb for in the shower and when it's wet, but I don't think the wider one works well enough for getting through tangles.

spidermom
October 6th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Try dragging some yarn between the teeth. If it snags, then yes - you are damaging your hair. Sometimes combs have seams with rough edges.

paperwhite
October 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
If it isn't your comb, you might want to consider your BBB. When I got mine I was a little over-enthusiastic with it and ended up damaging my ends. Brushing twice a day might be a little too much for your hair. I've drastically cut brushing back to maybe once or twice a week to try and distribute sebum between washings or right before a wash and have seen much less damage happening.

FrizzBall
October 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM
You can perhaps try investing in a bone comb or seamless comb so it may not snag as much. I'm trying my hand at only finger detangling myself but we'll see how much that lasts.

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
The comb that you are using will damage your hair. Plastic combs catch onto hair and cause breakage. You may want to look into a handmade seamless comb into order to minimize damage.

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Is it the same with plastic brushes? I comb through my hair at least once a day with a plastic brush, I have not had a problem with it though and it do not seam to have any rough edges and the hair do not snag on it. I have to brush my hair once a day to keep it tangle free, which is strange as I have had it checked and re checked at the hairdresser, there is no damage to it or split end, but it loves to tangle. I have to brush it for about 20 minutes a day.

LisaMonster
October 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. :)

I've cut down my combing/brushing to less than once a day, finger combing to supplement that, and my hair is very happy about it.

Currently looking into seamless combs.

Igor
October 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM
A plastic comb does not necessarily equal damage!
I have spent lots of money buying expensive “hair friendly” combs in wood or bone but find they desperately need a sanding. The choice of material doesn’t make a comb hair friendly, it’s the finish and smoothness that matters
Take a cheap sheet of sandpaper to it and it will be a good, hair friendly comb. That goes for all combs and tools you use on your hair

morecowbell
October 13th, 2010, 06:34 AM
A plastic comb does not necessarily equal damage!
I have spent lots of money buying expensive “hair friendly” combs in wood or bone but find they desperately need a sanding. The choice of material doesn’t make a comb hair friendly, it’s the finish and smoothness that matters
Take a cheap sheet of sandpaper to it and it will be a good, hair friendly comb. That goes for all combs and tools you use on your hair

Yep. :)
I bought a package of combs from the dollar store, and they were rough and snaggy... but with a few mins each with a fine grit sandpaper, they work very well. (and I have a huge amount of combs that I hardly ever use, lol!)
I do agree, though, that a BBB used that often might cause some damage. I've had that happen with my hair, but my length was already damaged.
Just experiment and see what your hair likes. :)

Vermelha
October 13th, 2010, 06:55 AM
If you don't have to comb, don't. If you must, do it while the hair is full of conditioner in the shower. Combs can and have damaged hair, with and without seams. Doesn't matter. Just avoid it or do it sparingly.

Personally, I RARELY comb my hair except for when I wash it weekly and detangle in the shower. That is about all the combing I do.