PDA

View Full Version : How well do you lather?

allnaturalboy
October 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
When you shampoo. Just curious how heavy handed(or not) everyone is. I know some folks who get their hair full with a big bubbly lather, then condition. I even have some friends who do that twice, though that seems really wasteful to me.

spidermom
October 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I usually dilute my shampoo in warm water, and sometimes I get barely any lather at all, but it doesn't seem to matter; it still cleans my hair and scalp.

Sundial
October 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I usually dilute a small amount of shampoo with water in an empty bottle before use :p

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Mine gets all foamy and bubbly, and I massage my scalp a good bit, but I only use it once. I don't dilute, but I don't need to use a whole lot.

allnaturalboy
October 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Mine gets all foamy and bubbly, and I massage my scalp a good bit, but I only use it once. I don't dilute, but I don't need to use a whole lot.

Thats pretty similar to what I do. Just shampoo until it's slightly foamy, then rinse. I've always only washed my scalp though. I used to condition from root to tip too, though I don't do that anymore.

I was watching some salon hair washing video tutorials earlier on youtube, and just wow! They seem so wasteful. Almost a palmful of shampoo and then massaged into a huge lather. Barely any conditioner afterwards too.

TinaDenali
October 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I use a LUSH shampoo bar and they are very lathery. I just need to rub it three times over my head - once down my part and once on either side of my head above my ears and it makes a roaring lather. I quite like it - it cleans my hair really well and leaves it very moisturized. Sometimes even a bit too moisturized it I don't rinse it out well enough :P

aenflex
October 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Lots of lather. Lots of froth. One shampoo only, unless I am trying to wash something heavy out.

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Not a great deal, but I've got hard water, so lather is more difficult to come by.

allnaturalboy
October 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Lots of lather. Lots of froth. One shampoo only, unless I am trying to wash something heavy out.

Do you do just the scalp or everything? My parents use to do that to me when I was a kid, but I had short hair then.

enfys
October 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I mix my dose of shampoo with water; maybe 2 or 3 tsp of each then shake it in a bottle to create the lather. I get all the bubbles but none of the friction it takes to make them on my head.

I only shampoo once.

heidihug
October 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I wash just the scalp, with diluted shampoo. But I don't like to manipulate and scrub into a big lather as that causes way too many tangles for me - I basically gently massage with the my fingertips, up and under the canopy of my hair. I only wash the length with the lather from my scalp area about once a month, when clarifying, or if it smells smoky or sweaty, for instance.

estherbeth
October 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I shampoo twice because my hair is very oily when it's time to wash (once a week). The first shampoo is very sad, only lathers up a little bit, and it's hard to get all the way down to my scalp with it without feeling some painful pulling at the roots. With the second go-round, a lot of the oil is gone, so I can get a good lather on my scalp and massage. But I try to clean my scalp extremely well because I'm often a bit dandruff-y and paranoid about people seeing flakes. When I only shampoo once, my hair is always still oily, so I don't see an extra shampoo as wasteful for me.

growing2shine
October 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM
When I wash I wash the scalp only, with diluted shampoo and I just massage gently til it lathers a bit. And I just do that once...

jera
October 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I use SLS free poo which doesn't lather much at all and I only gently wash the roots unless I've gotten heavy handed with an oiling and have excess oil to get out of the length. :)

pennyroyal
October 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I get lots of lather but i only shampoo once. I am all about the lather, honestly.

2peasinapod
October 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I scalp wash with a cone and SLS free shampoo, so it doesn't really lather (not that I can really see the top of my head, anyway! ;)). Usually, I CWC.

paperwhite
October 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I use a small amount of (usually SLS-free) shampoo and with my nails and fingertips gently work up a good lather on my scalp and roots. I usually let the lather slide down the length unless I've done a heavy oiling, in which case I use a little bit more shampoo and gently shampoo from root to tips.

Johanna
October 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I water my shampoo down to about 50/50, not a lot of lather in there, but the perfect amount for my hair. So far this year I've bought one 200ml bottle. And I'm almost out now. I love my watered down shampoo and conditioner. So much cheaper and my hair is happier.

bellawave
October 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I don't dilute, but I apply shampoo in several places around my scalp and then massage it around my roots until my whole scalp is lathered up well. Then I rinse it out through the length, then condition.

If I miss any spots on my scalp or they don't get thoroughly cleaned, they'll still be oily after my hair dries and I'm prone to getting big painful pimples in those spots in that event. So I have to make sure to lather up the scalp well. I wash every other day or every 3rd day, depending on how oily it's getting at my roots.

KittyLost
October 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Not very, I add a little water and gently massage the scalp so there isn't an awful lot of bubbles :)

slz
October 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I use cleansing agents that do not foam at all (herbs, etc) most of the time. Before henna I do use SLS shampooo though, but very diluted and I do very little massaging, so almost no foam, neither.

weatherwax
October 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I have recently discovered that my scalp is healthiest when I lather my head in two halves: I use one dose for the top, massage it in, then another for the bottom (aka from the neck up). I don't need to shampoo twice if I do this, even on really dirty hair. And as a bonus, the persistent dandruff seems to be keeping its distance, even without the ketowhatsis.

It does make quite a lot of lather. Less would be desirable, actually. It's a technique in progress.

Carolyn
October 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM
When I use shampoo which isn't the majority of the time, I gently and slightly lather my scalp and let the suds run down the length. I never lather big time or do it twice. That would be overkill with my hair.

Nocturnal
October 11th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I usually mix shampoo with water, lather it and then use it on my head. Sometimes I repeat, but I only wash and brush my hair once a week, so it makes sense to me.

Toadstool
October 11th, 2010, 02:06 AM
When people say they massage their scalp, do you actually scrub? I was under the impression that I should scrub hard to cleanse my scalp, as someone who has had seborrheis dermatitis. Am I wrong?

tinti
October 11th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I get a "helmet" of bubbles and white fluff when I shampoo. Don't need to use a lot, either. But I only shampoo once a month or so. Except when I feel my hair need an extra shampoo wash.

Bonkers57
October 11th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I first use conditioner, then let it soak in while I wash my face and all, shampoo it once, then condition the ends again. I usually get a lot of lather because I must clean my scalp thoroughly; it naturally produces a lot of oil. I shampoo twice only if it's really dirty, i.e., it has that heavy, waxy feel.

Gumball
October 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
When I do actually use shampoo, and that is very infrequently, I hardly pay attention to how much I lather. As long as I get shampoo on my scalp that's all I'm really concerned about. :lol: I try not to scrub very roughly either, so I want to assume I don't heavily lather. My shampoo isn't a big lathering shampoo either, so to my knowledge I don't turn into Santa.

MinderMutsig
October 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I have recently discovered that my scalp is healthiest when I lather my head in two halves: I use one dose for the top, massage it in, then another for the bottom (aka from the neck up). I don't need to shampoo twice if I do this, even on really dirty hair. And as a bonus, the persistent dandruff seems to be keeping its distance, even without the ketowhatsis.

It does make quite a lot of lather. Less would be desirable, actually. It's a technique in progress. I do this too.
I need bubbles and fluff! It just doesn't feel clean otherwise. If I don't get bubbles with my usual amount of shampoo I know my hair is too greasy and needs a second lather or I have to wash my hair again the next day.

HintOfMint
October 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I don't dilute, but I apply shampoo in several places around my scalp and then massage it around my roots until my whole scalp is lathered up well.

Exactly what I do. I really massage it to get a decent lather.

rhosyn_du
October 11th, 2010, 05:14 PM
It depends entirely on the shampoo I'm using. My current regular shampoo (Goth Rosary) barely lathers at all, but my clarifying shampoo (VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea) lathers like crazy. I use the same amount and procedure for each.

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I also dilute my shampoo in water. I really wash my hair well because I want to make sure that my hair is clean.

BrightEyes7
October 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I work up a pretty good lather but I don't do it twice.

I put conditioner on the length, shampoo the roots. Make sure I get the under parts too. Massage with fingers to work up a decent lather.

Then rinse and condition again! :pumpkin:

ETA: Also I don't dillute. I use sulfate free so I don't feel the need to. Also I only use a small amount. About the size of a U.S. quarter.

jojo
October 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM
When i used liquid shampoo I diluted as I am cheap like that! but nowadays I use poo bars and just rub it between my hand and shampoo my scalp well and get good lather and then rinse allowing the suds to flow to the length.

manderly
October 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
My shampoo (Deva One) does not lather at all ;)