PDA

View Full Version : How much oil is too much?

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 08:18 AM
So, this morning, instead of applying my GF Sleek & Shine oil to my length/tips, I applied some Coconut oil. I didn't heat it up, but I rubbed it between my hands and applied it to my wet hair; not too much. It's almost dry now, and I noticed my ends feel very sleek, like maybe I added a bit too much oil. However, they're not all sticking together or anything.. you can't really tell, I just keep playing with it :p. Regardless, is that too much oil? Next time, should I rub in less? I did make sure to particularly saturate my ends. My length feels fine, normal, and I didn't apply any to my scalp. If my ends aren't sticking together and lifeless, did I put in just enough?

RadiantNeedle
October 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Have a feel tomorrow, if you don't wash every day. I find that the oil sinks in and just makes my hair feel softer and sleeker for the next two days after I apply the oil. If its not clumping and doesn't look stringy, I think you're fine! It seems a fairly forgiving oil, for me anyway.

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Have a feel tomorrow, if you don't wash every day. I find that the oil sinks in and just makes my hair feel softer and sleeker for the next two days after I apply the oil. If its not clumping and doesn't look stringy, I think you're fine! It seems a fairly forgiving oil, for me anyway.

I do not wash daily anymore.. in fact, I actually went 2 days without washing instead of the normal one the other day :D. I was so proud of myself. But the greasy feeling finally got to me. I used to wash daily that's why I suppose.

So the extra slip on the tips might actually soak in over the course of the next day or two?

spidermom
October 6th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Yes, it might. I was amazed to find this out, that one day my hair could look oily and kind of yuck, and the next day (without washing it), it would look good again.

Of course, it doesn't always work like that. It's possible to get too much oil. When that happens, I just wear my hair up until wash day comes around again. I try to stick to washing twice a week, unless I get really sweaty/dirty.

Neneka
October 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I did that too just now! Too much oil! :O I hope that all of this will sink in at night because I am not going to wash it again. I hate wet hair.

GirlInterrupted
October 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Usually when I put coconut oil in my hair in the morning it feels super oily all day too. So I put it on at night before bed and then its really not oily at all the next day. Or you may want to try just a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil that works better for me then coconut oil.

Im still learning what my hair likes and doesnt like but what I've really learned from LHC is that you have to try different things til you find what makes your hair happy. :)

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
As it dried, it seemed just a tad too oily so I put it up. If I wake up tomorrow and it's still oily, I'll just have to shower out and apply a generous amount less next time :). Trial and error. For the record, coconut oil is WAYYY stronger than my oil product bought from the store. I use MUCH more of that stuff and my hair still doesn't feel nearly as saturated as when I used the tiny bit of coconut oil. Very interesting :).

BrightEyes7
October 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I have hip length hair and I use probable 2 or 3 little scraps the size of my finger nail. When I first started oiling I always used too much... Everyone's hair is different you just have to find out how much is right for you.

Neneka
October 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I am also experimenting with different things. Oils and all.. This is olive oil. It's really a tiny drop and I used too much of it this time. I haven't yet tried coconut oil or jojoba but I will when this huge bottle of olive oil is finished.

It's kind of fun to try to find out what your hair likes. Even bad hair days are kind of interesting.

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I soaked some warm olive oil on my hair once pre-LHC after my perm, to try to moisturize those damaged lengths. I suppose it helped for a short while but it never did that much for me, versus coconut oil. I may try it again, however, maybe mixed with something.

little_cherry
October 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
How much oil is too much??

Well...when I was around 4-5, I actually poured a whole bottle of olive oil on my head....I'd say that much is too much!. :D

Neneka
October 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM
My oil didn't sink in. I had to wash it but not with regular shampoo! I used baking soda and my shampoo bar and vinegar. Now it feels less oily but it stinks. :(

Nera
October 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It really depends on your hair, if you have straight hair and not too much hair, they usually say a fingernail should do the trick.

I can put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my hair and it will just dissapear, so it really depends!

angelfell
October 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
It really depends on your hair, if you have straight hair and not too much hair, they usually say a fingernail should do the trick.

I can put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my hair and it will just dissapear, so it really depends!

I think I fall in the fingernail category. I did that this morning, rubbed it between my hands real well, and then into the ends of my hair.. so now, it's fine :D.

sakuraemily
October 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
If it doesn't look stringy and isn't sticking together then you have applied enough.

little_cherry
October 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
My oil didn't sink in. I had to wash it but not with regular shampoo! I used baking soda and my shampoo bar and vinegar. Now it feels less oily but it stinks. :(
Oh my...use warm water and a conditioner massage/soak...you can't go wrong.

Lunami
October 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I like the sound of the oil soaking in over night, but my concern is that i think my pillowcase is really the one soaking the oil?

Neneka
October 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Oh my...use warm water and a conditioner massage/soak...you can't go wrong.

I had to use regular shampoo. It was so horrible. I tried conditioner, baking soda and I washed it couple of times with my shampoo bar and nothing helped. From now on I will be using oils more carefully and maybe try some different kind of oil. It's always good to know what not to do!

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I like the sound of the oil soaking in over night, but my concern is that i think my pillowcase is really the one soaking the oil?

In my case, I only oil the ends of my hair, and for sleeping, I make a bun on the top of my head, with the ends tucked well underneath. The ends of my hair don't have contact with the pillow. The oil does sink into my hair, unless I've used too much. It never gets on the pillow though

I had to use regular shampoo. It was so horrible. I tried conditioner, baking soda and I washed it couple of times with my shampoo bar and nothing helped. From now on I will be using oils more carefully and maybe try some different kind of oil. It's always good to know what not to do!

I've been through the over-oiling situation more than a few times over the years, and although it sounds counter-intuitive, conditioner removes excess oil much better than shampoo does.

If my hair is deeply oiled, I will often put conditioner directly on my dry but oiled hair and let it soak for a half hour to an hour. I usually twist it up into a bun while it's soaking in.

Then I rinse it in the shower and then CO as usual. You of course, would use whatever your usual washing ritual is.

Give it a try if it ever happens again.

I think I fall in the fingernail category. I did that this morning, rubbed it between my hands real well, and then into the ends of my hair.. so now, it's fine :D.

I love coconut oil for deep oilings and to use before colouring, but I can't find a way to use little enough for every day, especially if I want to wear my hair down. I can use jojoba oil though. It's so interesting how very different all of our hair is to one another.

JuneBride
October 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Does yours smell like a buttered roll? Mine is from GNC and it doesn't smell like coconut :(