PDA

View Full Version : Men are meant to have short hair?

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM
So I'm getting a 1/4 inch trim of my ends at a salon and the lady in the chair next to me blurts out "You know you look like a girl with all that long hair, you do know men are meant to have short hair right?". Maybe it was because my hair was up and sectioned off after shampooing or she was jealous because she had such a boring short style or maybe just having a bad day. I did not bother to give her a history lesson of men having long hair until the somewhat recent industrial revolution. I just said that if "men were meant to have short hair" then men would not be able to grow long hair. End of discussion.
My stylist played along and we talked about different styling options, ponytails, braids, buns, the Braz Blowout(which I am considering) and it definitely raised that ladys eyebrows a few times. It made for a fun trim.:D

Neneka
October 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM
My grandmother said that women must have long hair when I cut mine years ago. "OMG! What did you do to your beautiful long hair!" :D

I must say now that today I was on a lecture and I was watching everyones' hair. The most good looking and the healthiest long hair belonged to a man! All the girls had dry and chemically treated "dead" hair.

lauravmarcela
October 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
My grandmother said that women must have long hair when I cut mine years ago. "OMG! What did you do to your beautiful long hair!" :D

I must say now that today I was on a lecture and I was watching everyones' hair. The most good looking and the healthiest long hair belonged to a man! All the girls had dry and chemically treated "dead" hair.

Don't cut your hair you look like a boy. or vice versa are just one of the symptoms of ignorance. Sometimes compassion for these folks are needed :p

sakuraemily
October 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM
well.........of course its a personal choice and you must do what you feel comfortable with.......

Hypnotica
October 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM
well.........of course its a personal choice and you must do what you feel comfortable with.......but, men do look way better with short hair.
personally i find long haired men repulsive.

Sometimes it is good to practise silence in the written word also. Just a tip.

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM

We all have our preferences. I'm not a fan of very short hair on women but I'm not repulsed by it.

Hypnotica
October 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
We all have our preferences. I'm not a fan of very short hair on women but I'm not repulsed by it.

I have said nothing about the preference, just they way you express yourself.

Sheltie_Momma
October 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I was in line to checkout at Walmart on Sunday night. The young male cashier had thick, shiny brown hair, all one length - about collar length with a slight taper such that it was slightly longer in front than in back. The couple behind me made comment after comment after comment. I kept thinking as we got closer they would knock it off, but of course those kind always want to be sure they are heard. Sure enough, as it was my turn to check out the mean man says to me "Heh, heh, you know what we're talking about right?" And I pulled my own hair round to the front and and said "Long hair right?" "Uh right. But seriously, what would you say if that was your son up there?" And so I answered, catching the cashier's eye "I would say I'm proud of you for working hard and putting up with rude customers."

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have said nothing about the preference, just the way you express yourself.

Ditto. It's the old phrase; if you can't say anything nice, you're probably being a bit of an arse. :p

I like long hair on men and women, so I am biased, but as someone said above, the long hair I've seen on men has definitely been less processed and damaged than what I generally see on women 'in the wild'. If you can grow it, and you want to, more power to you. :)

ETA: Sheltie_Momma, you are epic. :D

lauravmarcela
October 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM

agreed

and your hair is gorgeous

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I agree with you Hypnotica

I was in line to checkout at Walmart on Sunday night. The young male cashier had thick, shiny brown hair, all one length - about collar length with a slight taper such that it was slightly longer in front than in back. The couple behind me made comment after comment after comment. I kept thinking as we got closer they would knock it off, but of course those kind always want to be sure they are heard. Sure enough, as it was my turn to check out the mean man says to me "Heh, heh, you know what we're talking about right?" And I pulled my own hair round to the front and and said "Long hair right?" "Uh right. But seriously, what would you say if that was your son up there?" And so I answered, catching the cashier's eye "I would say I'm proud of you for working hard and putting up with rude customers."

I love it!!!

kabelaced
October 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Couldn't agree with you more! My sister's ex-fiancé had the most beautiful, shiny, wavy long hair...people would give my sister funny looks all the time because they thought he really was a girl. In comparison, my sister's hair was dry and strawlike because she always Sun-In & blow-fry combo'd it every morning! :P

Go men with beautiful long hair! I think men are meant to have whatever they want (and especially feel bad for those who have alopecia or have gone through chemo and lost their beloved long hair :()!

bte
October 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM
It's conditioning, and the shock of anything which isn't in their comfort zone.

This discussion has been aired many tines, and TLHC is the best place in the universe for support for long haired men, but my question to such prejudiced comments is always:
If my hair wasn't meant to be long, why does it grow more than half an inch?

Bast
October 6th, 2010, 08:03 AM
One of the triggers for my desire for really, really long hair was a guy. (My ex, who had amazingly thick, SL+ hair. At the time I was growing out from a major chop.)

He just didn't look...right, I guess, for lack of a better word, with a modern-day traditional "guy's" cut of short hair. Or even slightly shaggy.

In2wishin
October 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I am with the majority here that if men were "meant" to have short hair they would not be able to grow it long. It is the same for older women: if they were "supposed" to have short hair their hair would stop growing. I also think that if evertbody in the world never cut their hair again we would have more classic length women than men on average.

Any man who wants to grow their hair long I say: "Go for it!"

As far as looks go....it really depends on the guy for me.

angelfell
October 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'm sort of in the middle on mens hair. I don't like it really short, but I'm not too much of a fan of it really long.. I actually like it around the neck/ears, flippy and curly and whatnot :D. Of course, my boyfriend insists on staing veryy short haired :(. Now, that's not to save I have seen some men with longer hair that I thought were gorgeous, but I generally perfer that just-above shoulder length that's all flippy and well, let's just say 'skater' looking :p

Themyst
October 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I think I probably would have asked the woman that if she thought men should have only short hair, then why hers was as short as a mans. :hmm:

PS - I think long hair on men is SUPER HOT. :agree:

PrincessBob
October 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
My spouse is a fabulous long hair. He has always looked great with his long hair, which is currently waist. I have a whirly and curly friend whose hair appears to be just past his collar, but if stretched out is a good two-three inches past APL. He's quite a lady killer and not in a greasy 70's way, people just find him attractive. Another friend is growing his blonde hair out for the first time past shoulder since he was in grade school, and his girlfriend gives him more compliments every time he reaches a new goal. Finally, my daddy always had a shaggy long-ish cut when he was younger, and has had hair bast APL for the last 15 years, and I cannot really imagine him being happy with short hair. We are native American and prefer to keep our hair long to show our pride.

Seriously, If men are meant to have short hair and women were meant to shave their legs and underarms we would not be able to choose our individual adornments. Individuality, the self, without this we are cookie cutter images of one style. I am a cloak wearing, skirt-girl, but not an anti-pants on girls girl, I wouldn't mind guys wearing more skirts, my friend wears kilts all the time. My uncle always said: The Romans of our classical history wore skirts, it was the Persians that couldn't take the pain and introduced pants to decrease chafing. :rollin: I don't know how true it is, but, whenever he says this it makes me smile.

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I get really annoyed by the whole argument that <identifiable group X> is MEANT to do <some stereotypical thing>. What about being an individual? What about free will? I think that unless a person expresses that they personally have a feeling of rightness or destiny about something, you really can't say anybody was meant for anything.

Arianwen
October 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
well.........of course its a personal choice and you must do what you feel comfortable with.......but, men do look way better with short hair.

Tell that to the gazillion traditional Sikh men.

Sundial
October 6th, 2010, 09:22 AM
My spouse is a fabulous long hair. He has always looked great with his long hair, which is currently waist. I have a whirly and curly friend whose hair appears to be just past his collar, but if stretched out is a good two-three inches past APL. He's quite a lady killer and not in a greasy 70's way, people just find him attractive. Another friend is growing his blonde hair out for the first time past shoulder since he was in grade school, and his girlfriend gives him more compliments every time he reaches a new goal. Finally, my daddy always had a shaggy long-ish cut when he was younger, and has had hair bast APL for the last 15 years, and I cannot really imagine him being happy with short hair. We are native American and prefer to keep our hair long to show our pride.

Seriously, If men are meant to have short hair and women were meant to shave their legs and underarms we would not be able to choose our individual adornments. Individuality, the self, without this we are cookie cutter images of one style. I am a cloak wearing, skirt-girl, but not an anti-pants on girls girl, I wouldn't mind guys wearing more skirts, my friend wears kilts all the time. My uncle always said: The Romans of our classical history wore skirts, it was the Persians that couldn't take the pain and introduced pants to decrease chafing. :rollin: I don't know how true it is, but, whenever he says this it makes me smile.

You always crack me up!! Up till now, I still have this mental image of your spouse uncovering your hair scissors on the couch or bed :o (ah yes, from the "Abused SO" thread! That's how long it has been but *ahem* it left a lasting impression)

Unofficial_Rose
October 6th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I get really annoyed by the whole argument that <identifiable group X> is MEANT to do <some stereotypical thing>. What about being an individual? What about free will? I think that unless a person expresses that they personally have a feeling of rightness or destiny about something, you really can't say anybody was meant for anything.

Exactly. Who made them the judge? It really narks me that people are so rigidly conventional and boring. :pins:

trillcat
October 6th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Ok I am not going to flame you for this comment, but I will ask you why you do you feel this way?
I think a comment that derogatory at least deserves a little explanation.
A lot of men don't keep their long hair nice, they think its too "girly" to do so, so it does end up a bit , well, yucky, but that by no means is all men. I have seen plenty of women with long hair I just want to chase down with a bottle of shampoo and a comb.
Repulsive is a very strong word to use, there must be a reason behind that.

JulietCapulet
October 6th, 2010, 09:35 AM
There was a girl with really long hair who rear ended me on my campus the other day...her boyfriend had almost as much hair as she did.

I don't often see long hair here in Miami...but in terms of my own opinion I like guys with military short hair so I am not a good one to comment I guess.

Wicked Princess
October 6th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Maybe it's where I live, but I've always seen quite a few men with longer to very long hair. It wasn't until high school that I discovered that men with long hair would be "strange" to someone else. It boggled my mind that there were people who didn't like it!

spidermom
October 6th, 2010, 09:39 AM
If I had my way, everybody would have long hair.

hmmm
October 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Actually, Sikh men are meant to have very long hair. And beards. Long beards.

I think I have a man-******.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM
The belief in men having short hair and women having long hair is down to 1 Cor 11:

13Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

xpeacelovekoala
October 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
She was probably jealous of how healthy and lovely it looked. ;) People can be kind of jerky when something doesn't stick to the status quo.

Honestly, when I see men with longer lengths, it usually suits them quite well. It isn't in my preference, but I totally respect it.

MaiCarInMtl
October 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM
The lady was probably jealous that you had nicer hair than her.

I honestly think that some guys look better with long hair, others with short or no hair, it all depends. I used to have a few metalhead friends who had nice long hair, others not so nice long hair (using the wrong hair care regimen perhaps). I remember wanting to braid it but never getting the chance. On the other hand, I can't imagine my husband with long hair at all! We're actually discussing him going down to a #1 in the next 2 years. He's always has shorter hair and had it buzzed for a breast cancer research fund raising last year... His bald head combined with a leather jacket... rowr!

To each his own though! Seriously, do what you want, what feels right to you and forget anyone else who feels so poorly about themselves that they need to put you down only to make themselves feel better.

curlylocks85
October 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I just said that if "men were meant to have short hair" then men would not be able to grow long hair. End of discussion.

That is exactly what I would have said, although I would have said people instead of men. Well said. I have actually asked people this; if people are not meant to have long hair then why does it grow that way? The usual response is a scoff and a roll of the eyes. People can be so silly. Grow on and be proud! :)

littlenvy
October 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
OH GOODNESS! I can't believe she said that. LOL. You can only laugh at something so silly.

And if she WAS looking to the bible for this "rule" then she should have remembered that 1 Corinthians 11 was written by St. Paul who himself was a Roman and would have Roman beliefs (not Christian or even Jewish) in regards to worship, hygiene and hair.
You don't hear any other Apostles or even Jesus having this attitude.

But I think your answer was perfect. :) If you weren't meant to have it you wouldn't be able to grow it.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
And if she WAS looking to the bible for this "rule" then she should have remembered that 1 Corinthians 11 was written by St. Paul who himself was a Roman and would have Roman beliefs (not Christian or even Jewish) in regards to worship, hygiene and hair.

ummm.. littlenvy Paul was Jewish.In fact I think he was some sort of high up Jew like a Pharisse.(He was obviously in a high position for him to be hunting down the Christians.)The Jews then kept themselves seperate from the Romans and other Gentiles so they would not have been influenced by the Roman customs.In fact Paul was not easily identified as Roman, he was beaten once and afterwards when he told his attackers that he was a Roman citizen they paniced- this means he dressed and behaved like a Jew.

I have actually asked people this; if people are not meant to have long hair then why does it grow that way? The usual response is a scoff and a roll of the eyes. People can be so silly. Grow on and be proud! :)

So do you believe that all men must have really long beards too? Afterall beards grow too..:confused:

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
So do you believe that all men must have really long beards too? Afterall beards grow too..:confused:

Not the OP, but why not just have hair - scalp, facial, etc. - how the person likes it? They're the one who has to live with it. :shrug:

luxepiggy
October 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I've spent countless hours of my life trying to convince the men I date to grow their hair longer (^(oo)^)v

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
The belief in men having short hair and women having long hair is down to 1 Cor 11:

13Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

Was it a disgrace for Jesus to have long hair and a long beard? This is just a post about a silly comment that was made about my hair.
I agree with others that she was probably jealous. I take excellent care of my hair and have learned how to keep it neat and presentable and everyday many women compliment me on my log hair. It's not a disgrace, I'm DAMN PROUD of my long hair.

Krentje
October 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
My spouse is a fabulous long hair. He has always looked great with his long hair.

Same here for my BF! His hair is longer, thicker and more shiny than mine. When we first met 2 years ago, i had a pixie/very short bob, and allthough he said it was love on first sight, he encourages me to grow my hair a bit. Hmmm, that means i do not depend on my hair for a bit attractiveness but on the other hand, it DOES look more feminine on me to have hair past shoulder length. Not to say he looks very malish with his long hair, but he did meet some prejudges like his supervisor thinking him to be lazy etc.

Arianwen
October 6th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Actually, Sikh men are meant to have very long hair. And beards. Long beards.

I think I have a man-******.

Yeah but not all Sikhs (women included) follow the "rules." There's some who think sitting on furniture to eat is wrong, others think sitting on the floor to eat is wrong blah blah blah.

I've had several Sikh friends (male and female) with totally "modern" hair, but there's plenty who have long hair, too.

EdG
October 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
(Looks at hair).

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :rollin:
Ed

Arianwen
October 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM
(Looks at hair).

Ed

It's so 'repulsive.' NOT! :cheese:

Qwackie
October 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
It's just a stupid gender stereotype. A lot of the people in the school I was in last year thought I was a guy because of my short hair.
I like it when guys have long hair. 'Tis pretty.

RedStripe
October 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I wish I had had some people like you around when I was a supermarket cashier!:)

Alvrodul
October 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM

That, Sheltiemomma, was a truly, epically wonderful comeback! :bowtome:

And EdG, I also loved your comment! :D

Angelica
October 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Honestly so much stupidity these days. Women shouldn't have long hair after their 40s, men should have short hair and women are the only ones who can have long hair..... it all gets very tiresome.

People are very rude and obviously this woman was jealous.

Too many times I have seen a man with better hair than I have, I wouldn't dream of telling them to cut it off.

I love long hair full stop.

Gumball
October 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Men are meant to have whatever length hair they want to have, just like women can. It's their personal preference, and the personal preference of others tends to not have much bearing unless they let it get to them.

ETA: Unless it's in a location where there is a large and enforceable regulation in place mandating specific lengths, etc. Then some things in that location just can't be helped. :shrug:

FrizzFighter
October 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I love long hair on men. Especially when it's one length, past the shoulders/down the back, that is hot (IMO). Unless the long hair is on a man who is completely bald on top and the long hair starts around their ears and they rubber band the fluff into a ponytail. I've seen this several times. Then I don't think it looks great but, hey, if it makes them happy who am I to judge.

ktani
October 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
It is all about culture and timing, lol. These days people are more free than ever to express themselves with hairstyles that are about personal preference, rather than fashion dictates.

Only those holding on to outdated views, would make a statement like the one in the title of this thread.

Minus a typo or two, this is a pretty good quick look at the history of hair and hair length, for men and women in perspective, in different cultures worldwide, http://www.ukhairdressers.com/history&#37;20of%20hair.asp.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Was it a disgrace for Jesus to have long hair and a long beard? This is just a post about a silly comment that was made about my hair.
I agree with others that she was probably jealous. I take excellent care of my hair and have learned how to keep it neat and presentable and everyday many women compliment me on my log hair. It's not a disgrace, I'm DAMN PROUD of my long hair.

Jesus was a Jew and Jews have a law on men having short hair so he would not have had long hair, but it is he possible that had a beard.

What length is your hair?

FrannyG
October 6th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Well, in hair, as in everything, everyone has their personal preferences, biases and beliefs. Unfortunately some people think it's their duty to discuss them out loud (or in print, as the case may be).

What I find infuriating is the fact that any stranger thinks it's okay to give you an opinion on what you are doing with your own hair.

Would a woman with short hair be told, "Women are meant to have long hair, you know."? Not darn likely.

Even if it's a religious belief that they have, I don't think they have any business foisting it on you.

I find it highly unlikely in any case that the woman who told you that men are meant to have short hair was even thinking about The Bible, or you can be certain she would have said so.

I've been watching men grow their hair since I was a child, over 40 years ago, and I would think that people would be over it already.

Long hair, short hair, on man or woman, I don't care; it's what a person feels about their personal style that counts, in my book.

FrannyG
October 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Jesus was a Jew and Jews have a law on men having short hair so he would not have had long hair, but it is he possible that had a beard.

Where in Mosaic law does it say that Jewish men must have short hair? That's a new one on me.

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Well, in hair, as in everything, everyone has their personal preferences, biases and beliefs. Unfortunately some people think it's their duty to discuss them out loud (or in print, as the case may be).

What I find infuriating is the fact that any stranger thinks it's okay to give you an opinion on what you are doing with your own hair.

Would a woman with short hair be told, "Women are meant to have long hair, you know."? Not darn likely.

Even if it's a religious belief that they have, I don't think they have any business foisting it on you.

I find it highly unlikely in any case that the woman who told you that men are meant to have short hair was even thinking about The Bible, or you can be certain she would have said so.

I've been watching men grow their hair since I was a child, over 40 years ago, and I would think that people would be over it already.

Long hair, short hair, on man or woman, I don't care; it's what a person feels about their personal style that counts, in my book.
Well said!!

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I like well kept long hair on men, -beards and dreadlocks too.

ktani
October 6th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Personally, I am open to any hairstyle someone wears. They are the one who has to live with it. I love long hair. I have seen beautiful short hairstyles and those in between. I think a shaved head can suit some men and women. I do not comment on the styles I see except to compliment them.

shyone
I find it highly unlikely in any case that the woman who told you that men are meant to have short hair was even thinking about The Bible,

I think because the West adopted biblical teachings for so long (such as long hair, skirts & coverings for women and short hair & trousers for men) and because it's only fairly recently that people in the West have moved away from this, the concept is still in peoples' minds even when they do not really know why.

Lamb

Oh yeah, she would. :disgust: And she would be called a <unprintable word for lesbian>, she would be told she looks like a guy, newspaper articles would be written about how she has given up on her sexlife, etc. :rolleyes:

We can't cure stupid. I, for one, have just decided to ignore it. :p

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM

That would explain all of the drawings of Jesus with short hair, oh wait, there are none. jk.
My avatar pic is almost exactly 3
years old. My hair is now maybe 2 or 3 inches past what the ladies here call bsl and I call lower shoulder blades or lsb. Why do you ask about the length?

Lamb
October 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think because the West adopted biblical teachings for so long (such as long hair, skirts & coverings for women and short hair & trousers for men) and because it's only fairly recently that people in the West have moved away from this, the concept is still in peoples' minds even when they do not really know why.

Uhm, it was only one or two hundred years ago that Christian, Western men were sporting long hair (down to APL), and/or long wigs. :hmm: So what have people in the West moved away from, again?

There has never been unanimous agreement concerning that particular Biblical passage, so I don't think it has ever been such a universally determining factor in what is gender-appropriate in hair and dress, even in the collective subconscious (if there is such a thing at all, which I doubt).

:twocents:

ktani
October 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Oh yeah, she would. :disgust: And she would be called a <unprintable word for lesbian>, she would be told she looks like a guy, newspaper articles would be written about how she has given up on her sexlife, etc. :rolleyes:

We can't cure stupid. I, for one, have just decided to ignore it. :p

That is very true on both counts. I remember a time when gay women thought they were making a statement about their "lifestyle", by cutting their hair short.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Where in Mosaic law does it say that Jewish men must have short hair? That's a new one on me.

Old Testament laws for priests:

Lev. 19:27
Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

Lev. 21:5
They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh.

It was also a part of a Jew’s daily hygiene to anoint his beard with oil and perfume (Ps. 133:2). Beards were trimmed with the most fastidious care (2Sa. 19:24) and their neglect was an indication of deep sorrow (Isa. 15:2, Jer. 41:5). The custom was to shave or pluck off the hair as a sign of mourning (Isa. 50:6, Jer. 48:37, Ezr. 9:3). The beards of David’s ambassadors were cut off by Hanun (2Sa. 10:4) as a mark of indignity.

In the New Testament these laws were continued:

1 Cor 11:13-15 talks about it a shame for men to have long hair and women to have short & uncovered hair.1 Cor 11:2 mentions that these are teachings that Paul, a Jew, is passing the concept of men having short hair on to Gentiles and reminding those who were Jewish to keep to this:

1 Cor 11:2
I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings,[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=&#37;201%20cor%2011&version=NIV#fen-NIV-28587a)] just as I passed them on to you.

1 Cor 11:13-15

So according to 1 Cor 11:2, the law on men having short hair was not just for the priests.

http://www.pinenet.com/~rooster/hasid2.html#HASID2-Q5

http://www.learnthebible.org/did-jesus-have-long-hair.html

I am sure that there are teachings and laws in the Torah about men having short hair because all Jewish men keep their hair short, not just rabbis.However this is what it is in the Bible.I hope I have not confused you!:)

Toadstool
October 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM

I'm not sure why you would make such a comment on a forum for people with long hair??:confused:

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
My avatar pic is almost exactly 3
years old. My hair is now maybe 2 or 3 inches past what the ladies here call bsl and I call lower shoulder blades or lsb. Why do you ask about the length?

I was just wondering.. :)

That would explain all of the drawings of Jesus with short hair, oh wait, there are none. jk.

Such drawings began under Catholic and Orthodox rule 300 years after Jesus's death.Prior to then people simply did not draw Jesus, Jesus being God- plus many of the early Christians were Jewish originally and they kept to the Jewish teaching of not making an icons or images to worship.There was a power struggle between those who did not wish to portray Jesus and God, and those who did on the grounds that such images could educate people in the gospel, and would give comfort.The latter won.I think we as humans like to imagine Jesus like us- there are images of black Jesus's, white Jesus's, Asian Jesus's.It's human nature.

(a long post, but of interest to me- I'm an art graduate so such concepts excite me):o

LocustSpawning
October 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I actually absolutely love it when a man has long hair - I find it to be the most attractive thing! Gorgeous long thick dark hair, on males or females, I think is the most beautiful.

hmmm
October 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Just thought I would share a hilarious poem by the comedian George Carlin - for those of you that haven't seen/heard it before: Hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN40S3dRe4k).

Islandgrrl
October 6th, 2010, 01:00 PM
If men were meant to have short hair it wouldn't grow, now would it?

Angeletti
October 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Sounds like she's one of those cookie cutter people who also believes people need to cut their hair when they reach a certain age because it's the thing to do in society... ugh people need to realize not everyone wants to be and act like everyone else, it's called being an individual. Personally I like long hair on men but even if I didn't I wouldn't go around telling people that they should have short hair because they are male, it's just ignorant in my opinion.

MandyBeth
October 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I love long hair on men, they often have hair that isn't as damaged from bleach/dye/heat. Maybe not the LHC standard of washing/drying and such, but so nice still! Yes, I've seen some that could use a conditioning treatment or two, but how many of us have seen women who don't cut their hair to keep it long, but have bleached it, straightened it, and done who knows what else to it so she has 12" of split ends and hair that breaks if you look at it cross eyed.

Yes, let's take the Bible literally, word for word now. I'll bring the bull, you provide the altar and provisions to start the fire, ok?

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Uhm, it was only one or two hundred years ago that Christian, Western men were sporting long hair (down to APL), and/or long wigs. :hmm: So what have people in the West moved away from, again?

There has never been unanimous agreement concerning that particular Biblical passage, so I don't think it has ever been such a universally determining factor in what is gender-appropriate in hair and dress, even in the collective subconscious (if there is such a thing at all, which I doubt).

:twocents:

Well since the arrival of Christianity to Europe short hair on men and long hair with coverings on women became "the thing". For an example in medieval England all married women wore wimples, and in fact in Chauer's Canterbury Tales, the woman from Bath complains that as a married woman her husband can disown her if she goes out in public without a covering.Gender distinction in dress was based on:

Deuteronomy 22:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+22:5&version=KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Through out Europe, men traditionally wore short hair and women long hair, dresses and coverings in the forms of wimples, caps, hoods, veils and hats. Yes there was a brief period, Gergorian I think, when men and women took to wearing wigs, women of course with bigger wigs- but even then men kept to trousers and women to dresses often with caps over their wigs.Until the 1960's women could not attend most churches would their hair covered.My own grandmother recalls that she never, ever saw a woman in trousers until the 1960's.Even today in the vatican, women are required to wear a covering.Hilary Clinton is possibly the only woman to visit the vatican without a covering, however she did once.Obama's wife wore a headcovering when she recently went to the vatican.

However I only talk of Europe and the settlers in America & Canada, as I have only studied Western art history.In Asia and Africa it may be different.

Here are some images that may be of interest to you:

http://eastwingrules.blogspot.com/2009/07/first-ladies-meeting-pope.html (American presidents' wives wearing veils in vatican)

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/michelle-obama-opts-for-traditional-vatican-attire/ (Margaret Thatcher, English queen & princess & presidents' wives wearing veils)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/litlnemo/galleries/72157624669136918/ (late medieval headcovering)

http://euroheritage.net/traditionalcostumes.shtml (traditional European dress)

enfys
October 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Men are meant to have short hair...People are meant to think before they speak...Sigh.

I'm sure if you'd had extremely short hair she'd have felt intimidated and raised all those negative connotations too.

I like my man to have shorter than short hair because he likes it too and it works for him. Long hair works some men, and long hair makes some men happy even if it looks awful to me. I'm not going to tell strangers or even friends what to do with their hair and I expect the same.

Your stylist sounded awesome too, rubbing the womans face in it (metaphorically).

Radulfr
October 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Interesting article here (http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Orthodox_Life/longhair.htm) - the Eastern Orthodox church apparently considers long hair a good thing- at least in the clergy.
The article speculates that St. Paul himself might have had long hair too.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Interesting article here (http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Orthodox_Life/longhair.htm) - the Eastern Orthodox church apparently considers long hair a good thing- at least in the clergy.
The article speculates that St. Paul himself might have had long hair too.

Yes, cleverly noted!!An Orthodox lady told me that they see it as a way of showing the world that they are too concerned with spirtual issues than to be concerned with their hair length.I actually beamed when I saw your post Radulfr.The Russian Orthodox church is of great interest to me.I'm off to read your link.. :cheese:

Shadow Walker
October 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Men aren't meant to have long hair? Tell that to the Vikings and the ancient Greeks. :rockerdud:

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
"The Apostle Paul himself wore his hair long as we can conclude from the following passage where it is mentioned that "head bands," in Slavonic, and "towels" touched to his body were placed on the sick to heal them. The "head bands" indicate the length of his hair (in accor dance with pious custom) which had to be tied back in order to keep it in place (cf. Acts 19:12). The historian Egezit writes that the Apostle James, the head of the church in Jerusalem, never cut his hair (Christian Reading, Feb. 1898, p.142, [in Russian])."
http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Orthodox_Life/longhair.htm

Acts 19:12 (http://bible.cc/acts/19-12.htm) seems not be refering to the term "headband"but rather handkerchiefs, napkins and towels.I'd always read that verse as other people placing handkerchiefs, napkins and towels on Paul and then placing them on themselves to be healed.It seems pecular to think that Paul would be walking about with a load of handkerchiefs and towels in his pocket to give to those who needed healing, nor does it seem plasible that Paul did a light strip and give some of his clothes to those who sought healing because the Jews were very strict about covering up.

I wonder at what biblical basis does the writer of the article use to back up the belief that 1 Cor 11's command to men to have short hair was only directed at laymen not priests.

I googled to find out more and got this:

"Orthodox Christian priests generally sport beards in humble imitation of Jesus Christ; the most conservative say a priest’s hair and beard should not be cut because his whole body has been sanctified by the rite of ordination."
http://www.economist.com/node/16743613

The male clergy of the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches often have long hair and untrimmed beards if they are monastics, but married clergy often have standard haircuts.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_headcovering

Well, that just my 2 cents..:o

akuamoonmaui
October 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
And so I answered, catching the cashier's eye "I would say I'm proud of you for working hard and putting up with rude customers."

Kudos to you!!!

But to get back to the OP's post - I think the short hair on men comment originates from Christian beliefs. Probably some reflection on the 60's movement, too.

Mike, you may want to do a thread search on the Brazilian Blowout. I asked about it a little while back. There were some very informed posts and it isn't as healthy for your hair as it's made out to be.

In2wishin
October 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Just thought I would share a hilarious poem by the comedian George Carlin - for those of you that haven't seen/heard it before: Hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN40S3dRe4k).

Haven't heard that in years!!! Thanks for adding the chuckles :rollin:

Nastasia
October 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I apologize in advance to everyone for the impending thread-jacking.

Shyone, I'm sorry, but you're all kinds of confused.

Lev. 19:27
Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

Lev. 21:5
They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh.

These laws are about men not cutting or shaving their hair. This is actually why Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish men wear peyot, or sidelocks. Technically speaking, these laws only apply to priests.

The New Testament is not at all relevant here.

I am sure that there are teachings and laws in the Torah about men having short hair because all Jewish men keep their hair short, not just rabbis.However this is what it is in the Bible.I hope I have not confused you!:)

Two big misconceptions here:

1. No, all Jewish men do not keep their hair short. You're probably referring to Orthodox and Hasidic men, who are very much a minority. They do generally keep their hair short, but that's a social convention. If there's anything that defines Hasidic and strict Orthodox communities, it's conformity to social norms. I will note that the Torah also has nothing to say about wearing black suits and hats.

2. Rabbis are not priests. "Priests", in the Torah and Jewish tradition, are the Kohanim, the descendants of Aaron. Their role has pretty much disappeared since the destruction of the Second Temple. "Rabbi" just means "teacher".

Well since the arrival of Christianity to Europe short hair on men and long hair with coverings on women became "the thing".

Yes, if we're going to make broad generalizations, men generally had shorter hair than women. That's not the same as having "short" hair by modern standards. Noblemen in particular frequently had long hair, since this was a sign of leisure.

Here's a painting of some cavaliers, with nice long hair:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Sir-Anthony-van-Dyck-Lord-John-Stuart-and-His-Brother-Lord-Bernard-Stuart.jpg

Oh, and the head coverings? Those were generally for married women and nuns, or else worn only in Church.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+22:5&version=KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

You keep bringing up the "not wearing the other gender's clothing" thing, and using women's hairstyles as an example. None of these actually mention any need for men to have very short hair. Yes, in Christian Europe it was generally agreed that men should have shorter hair than women, but, again, "shorter" does not mean "short".

growing2shine
October 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
It's not a disgrace, I'm DAMN PROUD of my long hair.

That's cool...

About men having long hair I think it's hot. No matter genter: Long hair = sex appeal!
But off course I think it has to be clean and well cept.

I agree completely!!!

Lamb
October 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Well since the arrival of Christianity to Europe short hair on men and long hair with coverings on women became "the thing".

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true.

Closer inspection of 17th-18th century portraits of European men reveals that long(ish) hair was very much "the thing," and that was definitely after the arrival of Christianity, right? :cool:

Sorry, but the Biblical argument doesn't stand the test of historical evidence.

ETA: Head coverings were also pretty common with men - caps, hoods, not only the hats we see today. They were even worn inside the house. The reason? Hygiene. :) Really simple.

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM
How did my little post become so religiously charged? Oh well...freedom of speech, religion, hair length to all. If God denies me entrance to heaven because my hair is long then I'll just hang out in Pergatory with all of the other long hairs. Ladies there may be a shortage of men in heaven for you all so be good but not too good while your alive. ENJOY!!!

Peter
October 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
(Looks at hair).

Ed
EdG said it better than I could have.

Laughter is really the only reaction I have to such absurd and misguided statements.

2peasinapod
October 6th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Men aren't meant to have long hair? Tell that to the Vikings and the ancient Greeks. :rockerdud:

And Native Americans! And colonial Americans! And all the awesome heads of hair here! If men weren't supposed to have long hair, they wouldn't be able to grow it so well! :)

I think sometimes people think that just because something is uncommon, then it's wrong. Or maybe she's a little jealous that your hair is longer than hers! ;)

Shadow Walker
October 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM
And Native Americans! And colonial Americans! And all the awesome heads of hair here! If men weren't supposed to have long hair, they wouldn't be able to grow it so well! :)

Exactly! If it's in our genes to grow our hair to the floor, then obviously we were meant to have it.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry, but this is simply not true.

Closer inspection of 17th-18th century portraits of European men reveals that long(ish) hair was very much "the thing," and that was definitely after the arrival of Christianity, right? :cool:

Sorry, but the Biblical argument doesn't stand the test of historical evidence.

ETA: Head coverings were also pretty common with men - caps, hoods, not only the hats we see today. They were even worn inside the house. The reason? Hygiene. :) Really simple.

The fashion for wearing long wigs was a mere blip in Western history under Christian rule- and even then women wore caps on top of their wigs:

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/18thwomenscut.htm

http://historicalfashion.blogspot.com/2008/07/fashion-continuity-of-1650-1700.html

http://historicalfashion.blogspot.com/2008/07/fashion-continuity-of-1700-1750.html

Men wore caps and hats outdoor for warmth and protection.It is worth noting that in church and in prayer men had their head uncovered.Women however wore a covering not just outdoors in bad weather but also indoors.Women took to wearing bonnets over their caps outdoors, which signifies that the cap alone was not for warmth or protection.

http://damselsinregress.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/from-head-to-toe-hats-and-shoes/

http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2010/07/silk-moire-bonnet-c-1845.html

Here's a good link about Christian coverings through out the Western history.It also includes images of men in church with no hats and women with coverings:

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/head-covering-history.html

I do hope that will clear up things for you, but sure we can always agree to disagree.:bluesmile

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
How did my little post become so religiously charged? Oh well...freedom of speech, religion, hair length to all. If God denies me entrance to heaven because my hair is long then I'll just hang out in Pergatory with all of the other long hairs. Ladies there may be a shortage of men in heaven for you all so be good but not too good while your alive. ENJOY!!!

Sorry, will zip it now... :uhh:

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
The fashion for wearing long wigs was a mere blip in Western history under Christian rule- and even then women wore caps on top of their wigs:

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/18thwomenscut.htm

http://historicalfashion.blogspot.com/2008/07/fashion-continuity-of-1650-1700.html

http://historicalfashion.blogspot.com/2008/07/fashion-continuity-of-1700-1750.html

Men wore caps and hats outdoor for warmth and protection.It is worth noting that in church and in prayer men had their head uncovered.Women however wore a covering not just outdoors in bad weather but also indoors.Women took to wearing bonnets over their caps outdoors, which signifies that the cap alone was not for warmth or protection.

http://damselsinregress.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/from-head-to-toe-hats-and-shoes/

http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2010/07/silk-moire-bonnet-c-1845.html

Here's a good link about Christian coverings through out the Western history.It also includes images of men in church with no hats and women with coverings:

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/head-covering-history.html

I do hope that will clear up things for you, but sure we can always agree to disagree.:bluesmile

Buzzkill. How about starting a brand new thread on this subject of wearing coverings in church etc. I'll bet it will be uber-popular.

Igor
October 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Good reply! :rockerdud You cant argue with stupid narrow-minded people

TeddyK
October 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Awesome reply! wish i could come up with stuff like that on the spot. It is all up to the person, I dont like how some people dress, etc. but that is just them

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Narrow minded!!! hardly, I just was explaining why some people in the West are against men with long hair.It's down the influence of biblical teachings.I'd appreciate it if you please didn't jump to false conclusions and judge me like that.I am no means narrow minded.

Igor
October 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Narrow minded!!! hardly, I just was explaining why some people in the West are against men with long hair.It's down the influence of biblical teachings.I'd appreciate it if you didn't jump to false conclusions and judge me like that.I am no means narrow minded.

I only read the first page before replying. And I think Mikes reply was pretty awesome.

And I would appreciate it if you didn’t turn a thread about a stupid comment on something that wasn’t the lady’s business and a good answer into one long preaching about your personal view on the bible, but I’m not going to attack you for that.

If you feel I’m attacking you personally, maybe that is your issue and not mine since I can guarantee I didn’t read your posts until after I had posted my reply to Mike.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I only read the first page before replying. And I think Mikes reply was pretty awesome.

And I would appreciate it if you didn’t turn a thread about a stupid comment on something that wasn’t the lady’s business and a good answer into one long preaching about your personal view on the bible, but I’m not going to attack you for that.

If you feel I’m attacking you personally, maybe that is your issue and not mine since I can guarantee I didn’t read your posts until after I had posted my reply to Mike.

You should have read more than just the last page before jumping to conclusions.People were wondering why some people are against men having long hair so I explained why.Sure I wrote too much but that was because the topic is of interest to me, not because I was preaching at anyone.I don't do preaching at anyone and as for narrow minded I have gay friends, Muslim friends, Hindu friends and Buddhist friends, I went to an art university where it's the norm even for tutors to dress peculiar; I don't do narrow minded-ness .

Igor
October 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
You should have read more than just the last page before jumping to conclusions.People were wondering why some people are against men having long hair so I explained why.Sure I wrote too much but that was because the topic is of interest to me, not because I was preaching at anyone.I don't do preaching at anyone and as for narrow minded I have gay friends, Muslim friends, Hindu friends and Buddhist friends, I went to an art university where it's the norm even for tutors to dress peculiar; I don't do narrow minded-ness .

I have to disagree and say it is everyone’s right to jump to the conclusion that no stranger has the right to tell you how to dress or wear your hair and judge it without knowing anything about you. Especially if that stranger put it as a universal truth instead of a personal opinion, even though that is very rude in itself

irishlady
October 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
haha it's hilarious how you got that remark from a woman who has a man's hairstyle, since she said long hair is for women and she has short hair.
And I was at the art gallery a few weeks ago, and they have old paintings of important men from a few centuries ago, long hair there. I suppose she'd say those obviously masculine men were women?
It's ridiculous lol

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I have to disagree and say it is everyone’s right to jump to the conclusion that no stranger has the right to tell you how to dress or wear your hair and judge it without knowing anything about you. Especially if that stranger put it as a universal truth instead of a personal opinion, even though that is very rude in itself

Well you just judged me without knowing anything about me.:confused:I did not judge men with long hair in the thread, in fact I said that I liked the look of men with long hair.:(

Yes I do believe what the bible says but I didn't push bible teachings at people, I just showed historical evidence that traditional Western opinions were influenced by biblical teachings.I don't do pushing religious beliefs down others throats and it's a really shame that you came to that conclusions about me.As it is I grew up inside a cult known as the Two by Twos so I know all too well how it's like to have a faith shoved on me.

WaitingSoLong
October 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Oh yes, me too! However, I think bald is very sexy.

You quoted too many scriptures for me to reply to but I wanted to say that Paul was also very against marriage. It was his personal preference that he basically pressed on his "students". He went so far as to tell fathers to forbid their daughters to marry. He had good reasons, but obviously, SOME people have to get married! (well, not these days, but we won't go there).

If you are Jewish, then these laws require some thought, but if Christian, then the New Testament needs to be considered and Jesus died to free the world from the law. I could get into why there was a law to begin with, but it is SO off topic.

Be careful folks, read the posts for what they are, she was not pressing her views on anyone, nor did she say these WERE her views, you are ASSuming by her avatar. I personally enjoyed hearing the reasons why people think this.

Exactly! If it's in our genes to grow our hair to the floor, then obviously we were meant to have it.

OH OH,, ME ME!! I want floor length hair!!!!

To the OP: I agree with everyone else, I wish I had the tact and nerve and wit to say such things. I always think of them later. I like to stop people in their toughts, but I refuse to be rude even if they were rude to me.

My son grew his hair to BSL. It bothered some of the older members of my family. I did not care and neither did he. Seriously, he really DID look like a girl. But he didn't care. He wears weird clothes, has a lip ring. Who cares? It doesn't hurt anyone. Just because people are shallow doesn't mean we have to stoop down to drown in their little puddle. HA HA, I just made that up. I like it! lol.

Igor
October 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Well you just judged me without knowing anything about me.:confused:I did not judge men with long hair in the thread, in fact I said that I liked the look of men with long hair.:(

Yes I do believe what the bible says but I didn't push bible teachings at people, I just showed historical evidence that traditional Western opinions were influenced by biblical teachings.I don't do pushing religious beliefs down others throats and it's a really shame that you came to that conclusions about me.As it is I grew up inside a cult known as the Two by Twos so I know all too well how it's like to have a faith shoved on me.

I was trying to get back on point to the original post which sparked my original reply. I am not interested in having a debate with you; I won’t allow you to push me into derailing this further. I only wanted to support Mike. I don’t understand why you refuse to understand this was never about you and why you keep writing like I attack you.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you waitingsolong.

Igor I am just rather shocked that I was so badly mistaken.

Peter
October 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Mike, look at what you've created! :D

How about some cheese?

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Igor
October 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Igor I am just rather shocked that I was so badly mistaken.

I do believe I explained that in my second post to this thread? I have now had to explain that in four posts and you seem to use sarcasm this time to force me to reply to you again?

FrannyG
October 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM

I apologize for being off-topic, but I really feel that I must address this.

Shyone, I must respectfully tell you that you are misinformed. There is no law in the Torah as regards men having short hair. Also, all Jewish men do not wear their hair short. There are many, many Jewish men with hair even we at LHC would consider to be long. That was quite a sweeping generalization.

RachelRain
October 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Awesome reply, I probably would've been rude myself and said something like 'then don't look at it if you don't like it.' (My boyfriend gets comments like that a lot... long hair on guys is sexy, so too bad for everyone else! lol.)

And shyone, Igor explained in her second post that she didn't call you narrowminded, sweetie. She called the woman who told Mike that men shouldn't have long hair narrowminded.

Mike
October 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Mike, look at what you've created! :D

How about some cheese?

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Aaaaaargh!

Clearly Igor's reply here was to my original post. It is pretty funny where this has gone.

shyone
October 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Clearly Igor's reply here was to my original post. It is pretty funny where this has gone.

Oh... I guess I am complete bimbo :eek: I thought that was aimed at me. Sorry Igor...

Shyone, I must respectfully tell you that you are misinformed. There is no law in the Torah as regards men having short hair. Also, all Jewish men do not wear their hair short. There are many, many Jewish men with hair even we at LHC would consider to be long. That was quite a sweeping generalization.

Here is the verse from the Torah.It's up to you how you interpate it:

A man is forbidden to shave the "corners" of his head or beard with a razor or to cut the corners of his head very short even with scissors (181:1-12). A man should not dress or cut his hair in a style used only by women in that society and vice versa (182:1-5).
http://www.torah.org/advanced/shulchan-aruch/classes/chapter12.html

*no intention to offend*

RachelRain
October 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM

A man is forbidden to shave the "corners" of his head or beard with a razor or to cut the corners of his head very short even with scissors (181:1-12). A man should not dress or cut his hair in a style used only by women in that society and vice versa (182:1-5).

*no intention to offend*

"a man is forbidden to shave" implies it should be long... ditto to "or to cut the corners of his head very short."

adiapalic
October 6th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Oh George Carlin... how could you have been so awesome?

Nastasia
October 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Y'know what.... religious debate is no fun! Long hair on men is gorgeous and sexy! My lover has waist-length hair, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Even though it means that both our hair gets everywhere when we're, uh, enjoying each other's company. :D

MandyBeth
October 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Well, you know, if you get refused for long hair, I'll probably be refused for entirely too many reasons. Want a ride in my comfy, long hair approved (no rough seams or places to snag hair) hand basket for a trip south? Psst, you can help me on my diabolical plans to take over hehehehe :demon: :twisted:

GlassEyes
October 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Bah. Men are meant to have what hair they want.

But, uh, word of warning--be careful with the Brazilian Blowout. I was thinking about it too, just for fun, until I heard about the fumes released from it. It's actually illegal to perform in Brazil now, though salons do it anyway. There's articles about it online. Just google 'brazilian blowout warnings' or 'brazilian blowout deaths'. They're rare, but the fumes are fairly toxic and possibly cancerous.

ETA:

*no intention to offend*
Yes, but 'in that society' is debatable. In Western society at least, male hairstyles extend to long hair, so it's problematic.

Also, there's the issue of translation. With holy books, especially ones written in languages so unlike English, it's difficult to keep the full meaning of the actual text in the other language. Possible, but problematic. .

DaveDecker
October 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM

I revel in my repulsiveness. ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r108/DaveDecker/2010_Sept/dave_back2.jpg

dragonette@1
October 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I grew up in the 70's, so I love men with long, clean, shiny hair.(although my DBF is now bald).:D

Dave, your hair is awesome!

Angeletti
October 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
What a great response and picture DaveDecker : )

littlenvy
October 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
OH Dave!! You shouldn't .. :p LOL!! :D

LaurelSpring
October 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I do love long hair on men, but I want to comment on the Brazilian Blowout. I have heard really horrible stories lately about that. Please do some research before you get that done.

Fiferstone
October 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
GO MIKE!

And thanks for the pretty, Dave. One person's "repulsive" is another's eye candy ;)

DecafJane
October 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
And then you said, "You know that being rude about other peoples' appearances makes you look like a beeyatch, right?" ;)

Shadow Walker
October 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM

You know, to us metalheads that could be taken as a compliment. :rockerdud:

LittleOrca
October 6th, 2010, 11:10 PM

omg! Dave! Put that repulsive thing away! There are children on this forum!

;) Just teasing, I think your hair is awesome along with the other men on this forum. You want it long? Grow it long, screw closed-minded people.

If God denies me entrance to heaven because my hair is long then I'll just hang out in Pergatory with all of the other long hairs.

We can have a great braiding circle in there. :D

christine1989
October 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM
What a great comeback! I do see a lot of men with thin, scraggly looking long hair (to which I would say CUT IT!) but yours is amazing by the looks of your avatar. I'm guessing she was wild with jealousy ;).

RachelRain
October 7th, 2010, 12:14 AM
What a great comeback! I do see a lot of men with thin, scraggly looking long hair (to which I would say CUT IT!) but yours is amazing by the looks of your avatar. I'm guessing she was wild with jealousy ;).

I don't really see how we have the right to tell someone to cut their hair regardless of how it looks. Wouldn't that just make us the same type of person we dislike, and therefore hypocrites? I mean, after all, we can just look away if it bothers us so much.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just honestly don't see why a distinction should be made.

Roscata
October 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I think that some men look great with long hair and some women look great with short hair.

In the end it's YOUR hair though, so it is entirely up to you to have it long or short. By the way, your hair looks great. :D

willowcandra
October 7th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Whew what's going on here? lol.

I knew a church of England vicar-male-with waist length hair.:)

The passage people keep quoting also forbids hair braiding and wearing of jewellery.

Pass the cheese round and leave each to their own:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

PrincessBob
October 7th, 2010, 01:29 AM
omg! Dave! Put that repulsive thing away! There are children on this forum!

;) Just teasing, I think your hair is awesome along with the other men on this forum. You want it long? Grow it long, screw closed-minded people.

Ack! :tmi: no! Matting and tangles and tearing and bad! Please don't tease DaveDecker's hair, or yours. :sad::-(

LocustSpawning
October 7th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Shadow Walker... your hair is gorgeous!!!

LittleOrca
October 7th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Ack! :tmi: no! Matting and tangles and tearing and bad! Please don't tease DaveDecker's hair, or yours. :sad::-(

lol :rollin:

Shadow Walker
October 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Shadow Walker... your hair is gorgeous!!!

Thank you! :)

swivelhop
October 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks to those helping to decorate my world, and .... exit the thread :run:stage right.

Colorblond
October 7th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Everyone is entitled to grow their hair to whatever length they desire whether that be long or short. Likewise people are entitled to their own opinions but there are times when they should be just that - their own!

Nae
October 7th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Dave! You are my hero! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, that response was epic. Repulsive you are not! Thud-worthy? Definately.

Shyone, I see where you are coming from, I love history myself and how religion plays into it. I understand that compulsion to understand why, historically and culturally, people might have that sort of opinion about long hair on men. It is interesting to see how cultural norms come about, so I appreciated what you were trying to do with your posts.

To the OP, your hair is gorgeous and you should pay no mind to silly people, grow on man, grow on!!!!!

Oh and I think I will just pass some more cheese around for good measure!!!!
:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::c heese::cheese::cheese:

andrea1982
October 7th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I think long hair can look great on Men (and very masculine!), especially when the hair is nice and healthy looking.

cmnt831
October 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Dave! You are my hero! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, that response was epic. Repulsive you are not! Thud-worthy? Definately.

Shyone, I see where you are coming from, I love history myself and how religion plays into it. I understand that compulsion to understand why, historically and culturally, people might have that sort of opinion about long hair on men. It is interesting to see how cultural norms come about, so I appreciated what you were trying to do with your posts.

To the OP, your hair is gorgeous and you should pay no mind to silly people, grow on man, grow on!!!!!

Oh and I think I will just pass some more cheese around for good measure!!!!
:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::c heese::cheese::cheese:

Nae, you said all this so much better than I could have. :)

lpsqt60
October 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I say to each his own, though I do wish that my husband would grow out his hair a little longer, he loves to shave it down to his skin. I think he looks so hot with just a little more hair so I can only dream of what he would look like with long hair. OMG, I would finally be able to braid someone else's hair!
The men who have shown their hair on here look so great, rock on!

redkdawg
October 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Some men don't look good with long hair AND/OR I've seen short-haired men who would look with long hair.

Personally I like slightly longer hair. Maybe not as long as some of the guy members here BUT that is my opinion. Note for the guys - it's your hair, let it fly in the breeze; get caught in the trees; make a home for the buzzin' bees... :P

bte
October 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have told this story before, but it still makes me smile as much as when it happened several years ago.

Woman of about 60 accosting me in the street: "Why are you wearing your hair in a ponytail?"
Me: "Because it's long."
Woman (a note of triumph creeping into her voice: "And why is it long?"
Me: "So that I can wear it in a ponytail."

Nastasia
October 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *dies*. bte, you're my new hero.

bte
October 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *dies*. bte, you're my new hero.
Thanks! It was certainly a moment to enjoy.

Islandgrrl
October 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM

As well you should, Dave.

jeanniet
October 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
DaveDecker, my preference is for men with shorter hair, but I've gotta say, yours is pretty dang awesome. :D

My very conservative father was raised a Sikh and had hair to his waist or longer until he cut it off in his mid-twenties after he came to this country for school (and was temporarily disowned for it, lol). Ironically, he thinks long hair on men (except Sikhs) is terrible. My uncle, who was a well known and respected man in India, was a practicing Sikh and kept his hair long until he died at 92. I always find it interesting to see how much what is acceptable varies by culture.

lundmir
October 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I love long hair, and short hair too. It's up to the individual how they want to wear it, and I respect that, but I do wish my boyfriend would grow his shoulder length hair longer. It is gorgeous.

Sunsailing
October 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM
To the OP....I love that story!
I hope I never have to deal with that in the salon. I've only had the opposite experience in the salon....women coming up to me and complimenting my hair. I'm sure you will have positive comments in the future!

That whole Bible thing....People quote writings without knowing the historical time period. Or they leave out parts of the passage. They also forget that some meanings were changed with multiple translations. Or how about all the scriptures that are not included in the Bible? Heck, Jesus spoke to us in parables. He never intended people to take any part of a parable literally....nor should we any part of the Bible literally.

Sorry....getting off the Bible thing. (See what 12 years of parochial schooling will do to you?)

Back to the OP. Regardless of that woman's personal opinion, she was just plain being rude. I have a lot of personal opinions that I keep to myself for the sake of others. Let's just be happy that she is in the minority ( people who think that they should impose their opinions on others). Hopefully she learned a lesson (but probably not :) )

sakuraemily
July 18th, 2012, 07:03 AM

Quite right. I'm sorry. That was a stupid way to put it.

You know, to us metalheads that could be taken as a compliment. :rockerdud:

I'd disappeared for a while and now that I go over my old posts...I can't believe I said that! I must have been in an awful mood that day!
Actually I used to find Ray(the long haired asian guy from Beyblade) the hottest just because of his hair. And his eyes. And this was just a few months before I posted that awful thing.
I apologise. I'm really so ashamed of expressing anything in such a rude way. Please don't remain offended, you do have gorgeous hair. I hate people who are judgemental and that is what I was doing just there and I can't believe myself.

I would totally take that back if there was such an option.
Your hair is amazing!

Let's just be happy that she is in the minority ( people who think that they should impose their opinions on others). Hopefully she learned a lesson (but probably not :) )

Jump to unwarranted conclusions about people, much?

On a different topic, what do you guys think about long beards?

Ginger Kitteh
July 18th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Beards...Mm mm mm. I prefer them. I don't know what it is exactly, but I have told every man I know (if he asks, of course) to keep or grow a beard. The four men I've dated all had beards. I think maybe that it just looks so natural to me without stubble.

I like them full, but I'll take pieces of things. :P Usually, I like it them trimmed close-ish, but not always.

As for the original poster--I can imagine quite a few would become jealous of those locks. As I just posted in the thread I was in before this, I don't shave, and I get a lot of the "women are supposed to look like this not that" (strangely mostly from women). I just ask those people if they are planning on coming home with me. No? Then why do you care? :D

arielágua
July 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Tell that to the gazillion traditional Sikh men.

Ahahah, awesome! xD

I think men look wonderful with short or long hair. It's their personal choice and it shouldn't be my business.
As a long hair lover, obviously I'll feel more attracted if the man has long hair.
But I don't think men are meant to have short/long hair. That ideal is a cultural thing that is permanently mutating. Men are meant to have the length they wish and that makes them comfortable and happy.

sakuraemily
July 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Beards...Mm mm mm. I prefer them. I don't know what it is exactly, but I have told every man I know (if he asks, of course) to keep or grow a beard. The four men I've dated all had beards. I think maybe that it just looks so natural to me without stubble.

:D

Ooh yes, stubble is hot!
I'll say Dumbledore before anyone else does.

pepperminttea
July 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Psh. People are meant to have the hair they like.

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Wow. Inconsiderate much?

Anyway, OP, I personally love long hair on men. Even if I don't find them attractive, I am always fascinated by a man with long hair. Especially when it's healthy. Like many other ladies have observed, some of the nicest/healthiest hair I've seen has belonged to a man.

I want to have little boys, and I want them to have long hair. Especially if it's curly, it'll be bloody awesome. I love seeing little boys with long hair.

ETA; Sorry, sakuraemily, I see you said that years ago and have now apologised.

Long_hair_bear
July 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I find men with shoulder length and longer hair hott, personally! Watching Lord of the Rings was a drool fest for me! :)

Chromis
July 18th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hehe, this is one of the better zombie threads I've seen...if only for that awesome shot of Dave's mane and some great stories.

silverpiper
July 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM
If you look at hair fashions through the ages men, just like women, have had long and short hair trends. I suppose what ever trend was going on when you were growing up is what they feel most comfortable with.

By the way, that woman's unsolicited comment was incredibly rude!

Venefica
July 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I think men with long hair look amazing. I am not to thrilled if the man have very thin hair but if he have a good head of hair then it is gorgeous with long hair on men especially long black hair on Goth boys. :D That being said there is no one else's affair what a anyone else do with their hair.

spirals
July 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Some people look good with long hair; some don't. If I don't like someone's hair, I keep it to myself. It's hurtful to make a rude comment like that woman in the salon did. And outbursts like that are sometimes prompted by jealousy. I had a friend who made an outburst comment like that, and our other friends thought it was a disproportionate reaction. A couple of years later she admitted jealousy.

ratgirldjh
July 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I grew up in the 70's and long haired men were common. Til this day I still do a double take when I see a man with hair past his shoulders. I especially love seeing braided hair on men.

We have quite a few latin american men with very shiny black hair that wear it long in a braid down their back. :drool:

Also if it was up to my mother none of us including the boys would have ever cut their hair to this day. All of my brothers had long hair up til they decided to cut it! Luckily it was accepted where we lived and later on my brothers were home schooled so no one bothered them.
Funny now all except one have shaved their heads! :D

neko_kawaii
July 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Personally I think long hair on men is hawt! Every man I've dated has had long hair at some point in their past, though only one while we were dating, but knowing they'd had it long enough to braid made me respect them more for their courage and to understand that their current hair style was their own preference.

As for beards, for me it really depends on the face and perhaps the personality. My father had a beard for almost all of my childhood and when he shaved it off I thought he looked creepy. *shudder*

My husband does not sport a beard but then he doesn't have much in the way of facial hair so it would look pretty strange if he stopped shaving.

On a tangential topic, my husband recently acquired a very nice pair of handmade western boots, but it is summer now and quite hot. Men aren't supposed to wear boots with shorts so he hasn't been wearing them. I tried to get him a utili-kilt for Father's Day so he could wear his boots with a "man skirt", but the store had to order his size and it still hasn't arrived.

gthlvrmx
July 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I prefer seeing long hair on anyone just because i like long hair, i think long hair is beautiful, but i also think healthy hair in general is beautiful. Hair is beautiful. And also, i dont care if you have short or long hair if it looks nice on you or it doesnt, those are only MY eyes and maybe they love the way they look with their hairstyle. As long as they are healthy and happy its all good.

Loviatar
July 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
My opinion: everyone can do whatever they want with their hair and nobody else needs to comment on it.

The woman in the salon was rude to make a personal remark on something that was not her business. You and your stylist clearly had fun chatting in front of her. :)

earthnut
July 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I find the funniest thing about the original post was that the lady complaining about men's long hair had short hair! If long hair is for women, why doesn't she have long hair?! What a hypocrite.

I've had 1/2 inch hair before, and as a woman, I did indeed get comments that my hair was too short, and was I a lesbian? Once it was about 2 inches, no-one seemed to care anymore. But a buzz cut? For shame!

I think my husband looks much better with longish hair, worn down, not in a ponytail like he used to, (and he does too) but he hates hair tickling his cheek and neck. Probably because he didn't grow up with long hair, he's not used to the feeling.

Amygirl8
July 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think the hair should suit the personality, not the magazine cover.
I personally find myself attracted to guys with longer hair, though. If a guy has long hair, it's usually all thick and shiny and healthy and stuff XD

earthnut
July 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
"a man is forbidden to shave" implies it should be long... ditto to "or to cut the corners of his head very short."

I live in a neighborhood with quite a few orthodox jews, and that interpretation of that passage is exactly why a lot of those men have long hair. And beards. With the beards, there's pretty much no mistaking them with women, so that solves the other part of the passage too. :)

Babyfine
July 18th, 2012, 02:22 PM
If men were "meant" to have short hair, they wouldn't be able to grow it long!
the ability to grow long hair is a gift from the Creator.
Rock your long hair!

ladyfey
July 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM
but it is just as rude to call her hair "boring" just because you don't like it. I see lots of double standard here at LHC regarding that. Long hair = good, short hair = bad. Other people are just as entitled to their preferences as you are, and it is always rude to try to impose your preference on someone else. Yes, she was very rude, but you are being rude too. She may love her hair! I loved mine in a bob, and never thought it was boring!

Dandelion6
July 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm sort of in the middle on mens hair. I don't like it really short, but I'm not too much of a fan of it really long.. I actually like it around the neck/ears, flippy and curly and whatnot :D. Of course, my boyfriend insists on staing veryy short haired :(. Now, that's not to save I have seen some men with longer hair that I thought were gorgeous, but I generally perfer that just-above shoulder length that's all flippy and well, let's just say 'skater' looking :p

I have to say that's my favorite look, too. Although I did date a guy once who had gorgeous apl, straight blond hair. He totally rocked that look:agree:

march_sun
July 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Personally I like long hair on men. Honestly I think she was jealous. Your hair is gorgeous!

Kelli Kat
July 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I think guys with long hair are awesome. My son has the most beautiful naturally red BSL hair with slight curling on the ends. And my hair envy is my son's band manager, he has waist length hair, its so soft and shiny. Neither have any damage at all.

gossamer
July 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
nor does it seem plasible that Paul did a light strip and give some of his clothes to those who sought healing because the Jews were very strict about covering up.

Coming in late to this thread, but this made me giggle a lot. Oh Paul, you'll never be the same again!

Mya
July 18th, 2012, 05:51 PM
The only thing men are meant to do is to be is sexy. The way their hair gets into this is totally their own business. :cheese:

einna
July 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I think long hair on men can look really good! I do think it may depend a little bit on style, personality and/or even culture, just as on women.

IvanaGil
July 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not a fan of long hair on men at all. I like 'em short buzz cut with lots of facial hair for me to play with (beard fanatic here!). But I think SOME men, very few, can pull it off in my opinion. For example, Thor's hair is sexy as heck, but that's as long as I can handle on a man, and boy can he pull it off! :crush:

briles
July 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM
When I married my DH he had waist length curls when dry. I loved it!

Alun
July 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM

OH GOODNESS! I can't believe she said that. LOL. You can only laugh at something so silly.

But I think your answer was perfect. :) If you weren't meant to have it you wouldn't be able to grow it.

ummm.. littlenvy Paul was Jewish.In fact I think he was some sort of high up Jew like a Pharisse.(He was obviously in a high position for him to be hunting down the Christians.)The Jews then kept themselves seperate from the Romans and other Gentiles so they would not have been influenced by the Roman customs.In fact Paul was not easily identified as Roman, he was beaten once and afterwards when he told his attackers that he was a Roman citizen they paniced- this means he dressed and behaved like a Jew.

Interesting points, but I think the origin of all ideas that men should have short hair is simply the Romans. Same thing for shaving off our beards. They did have some admirable qualities, but also some that were not.

Owning slaves and sacrificing people to the lions were pretty sh*tty practices. OTOH, limiting interest rates to 10 % was one of their better ideas, although they later increased it to 12 1/2 %. They also invented central heating, although again they used slaves to stoke the fires for that. They also built paved roads all over the place centuries before we had cars.

The Romans are often creditted with inventing concrete (and they even made ships out of it!), but it was not reinforced (steel had not been invented) and now it seems the Egyptians probably came up with it first for the pyramids (that's right, nobody needed to move those huge 'stones' on rollers or WHY, because they were probably cast in place, which just reminds us that archeologists are not engineers).

I would go along with feeding bankers to the lions for charging more than 12 1/2 % interest. That seems pretty fair to me, but I don't think a society that sells debtors into slavery is one we should go back to. I don't think we should have to wear their hairstyles either. After all, they were defeated in the end by 'barbarians'. Barbarian was originally the Roman word for a guy with a beard, and came to mean the long haired, bearded tribes that they regarded as savages, but who sacked Rome in the end. There's a message in that somewhere.

Pierre
July 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
There's another Bible passage about hair. If someone takes a Nazirite vow, he has to let his hair grow and not cut it, until the vow ends, at which point he cuts it off. Samson and Samuel were both life-long Nazirites, which meant they grew their hair to terminal (until, in Samson's case, he gave away the key to his seven locks). Paul was a temporary Nazirite, getting his hair cut at Cenchreae when the vow was over. So you can't take his "nature teaches" statement to mean that all men, or even all men of God, must have short hair.

A possible solution is the meaning of the word "κομα". If Paul used the word meaning "has long hair loose", rather than "has long hair", then we can reconcile it with the Nazirites having long hair; it was put up somehow. "Κομα" is the root of "comet", and comets don't wear their hair in buns! :D

Wildcat Diva
July 18th, 2012, 09:36 PM
My husband used to have long hair when we met and also when we married up until he decided to cut it short around 12 years ago. I have fond memories of my attraction to him with his long hair. I have always found long hair on men to have to potential to be very attractive.

I felt so stupid because I was at the salvation army Saturday and there was a young person behind the counter dressed pretty grunge style, and had a wool skull cap on with long hair (and it's like 95 degrees in south Texas!). I judged the person for a girl and said "excuse me, ma'am" and I immediately noticed that I was wrong and it was a guy. I apologized all over myself, and even told the guy that I liked long hair on men. He said that was okay. I felt really stupid.

KrissyKitty
July 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Men aren't supposed to have long hair?
More long-haired Colin Farrel for me then!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q3Lg6BEsdzY/UAeHIz9vROI/AAAAAAAABO8/5lTKY76I1VQ/s720/photo-Ondine-2008-14.jpeg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4knAxwhnjqQ/UAeHv1TzwEI/AAAAAAAABPE/3oSx9962dSc/s535/Ondine.jpeg

Yummmmm! :inlove:

ETA:

A lot of ladies like these fellas too.... (myself included)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6L0Y4pXcowA/UAeK9qRY6yI/AAAAAAAABPo/MZmMRrRddbs/s392/brad_pitt_long_hairstyle_sexy_young-1.jpeg
Brad Pitt

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2NM20oMQEic/UAeK7CEF_GI/AAAAAAAABPY/qEK0xL9VrUc/s226/imgres-3.jpeg
Hugh Jackman

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TsMWEMzT9xw/UAeK6pSoeZI/AAAAAAAABPQ/1p6QQIdhQts/s257/imgres-4.jpeg
David Beckham

These guys may not have LHC long hair, but whew, do they look fine!

ETA:

As you can tell, I LOVE men with long hair..... and I think MANY ladies would agree!

http://cdn04.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy-imgx/4/4/5/4/6/2/1/orig-4454621.jpg

All that hair sure makes Chris Hemsworth look feminine!

(okay, I'm done now.)

sunshine-locks
July 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM

Actually, yes. Sadly, when my hair was in a pixie I got quite a few of those sorts of comments.. Also got asked quite a few times if I were a lesbian. :nono:

Shadow Walker
July 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'd disappeared for a while and now that I go over my old posts...I can't believe I said that! I must have been in an awful mood that day!
Actually I used to find Ray(the long haired asian guy from Beyblade) the hottest just because of his hair. And his eyes. And this was just a few months before I posted that awful thing.
I apologise. I'm really so ashamed of expressing anything in such a rude way. Please don't remain offended, you do have gorgeous hair. I hate people who are judgemental and that is what I was doing just there and I can't believe myself.

That's alright, all is forgiven. And thank you for the compliment.

rena
July 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM
This was the coolest thing I've read today :D. Good for you!

I just realized how old this thread is, and I posted before I looked at the date. My comment to the OP still stands though ; ).

FrannyG
July 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Actually, yes. Sadly, when my hair was in a pixie I got quite a few of those sorts of comments.. Also got asked quite a few times if I were a lesbian. :nono:

Oh dear. I've had a pixie a couple of times, and no one said a negative word to me. Maybe they just said things behind my back. I'm sorry you had the negative comments. I'll never understand why people feel they have the right to comment on your style. For what it's worth, you looked adorable in your pixie. Prettier even than Emma Watson. :blossom:

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
Interesting points, but I think the origin of all ideas that men should have short hair is simply the Romans. Same thing for shaving off our beards. They did have some admirable qualities, but also some that were not.

Owning slaves and sacrificing people to the lions were pretty sh*tty practices. OTOH, limiting interest rates to 10 % was one of their better ideas, although they later increased it to 12 1/2 %. They also invented central heating, although again they used slaves to stoke the fires for that. They also built paved roads all over the place centuries before we had cars.

The Romans are often creditted with inventing concrete (and they even made ships out of it!), but it was not reinforced (steel had not been invented) and now it seems the Egyptians probably came up with it first for the pyramids (that's right, nobody needed to move those huge 'stones' on rollers or WHY, because they were probably cast in place, which just reminds us that archeologists are not engineers).

I would go along with feeding bankers to the lions for charging more than 12 1/2 % interest. That seems pretty fair to me, but I don't think a society that sells debtors into slavery is one we should go back to. I don't think we should have to wear their hairstyles either. After all, they were defeated in the end by 'barbarians'. Barbarian was originally the Roman word for a guy with a beard, and came to mean the long haired, bearded tribes that they regarded as savages, but who sacked Rome in the end. There's a message in that somewhere.

:laugh: you're a legend.

ETA: I used to work with a guy with long hair, and he was so bloody sexy.

MiamiPineapple
July 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
You should have told her to mind her own #%* business!

So rude...

wooliswonderful
July 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM
DH has 3b/3c hair that's MBL unstretched. Every Sunday he's in front of our congregation for 30+ minutes. He's often told there how nice his hair is and that he shouldn't cut it. Our Pastor has grown his out to shoulder length before. I don't believe men are meant to have only short hair. I believe the issue with long hair on men in the Bible isn't with a particular length of hair, it's with whether or not the man has an attitude and lifestyle of rebellion against God.

ohmygackt
July 22nd, 2012, 01:58 AM
The idea of men meaning to have short hair is ridiculous. Personally I like guys to have longer hair, the reason I wanted to grow my hair out was because a guy in my sisters class who had waist length hair.

term122
July 22nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
I think most cool guys have, or have had, longer hair. Short hair is the default for men, it takes no special effort or work or mental construction. Just some generalizations....