PDA

View Full Version : Please someone talk me out of it!

alwayssmiling
October 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I came across this article yesterday of Keira Knightley's new hairdo. I think it looks lovely ....I am so tempted it get a short bob cut back in now my layers have grown out and finally get rid of the bleached ends once and for all. The only problem is because of my texture I guess I would have to use hair straighteners or at least a blowdryer to get it looking so perfect...what do you think? :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1317859/Paris-Fashion-Week-Lily-Allen-Keira-Knightley-make-appearance-Chanel-show.html

spitfire511
October 6th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I think it's a super-cute cut, but you're right about getting the work to get the style to work. That's my problem with shorter cuts. I'm not allowed to have a lazy day. If I don't do something with it, I wind up with triangle head. :)

To be honest though, I think your look with the bangs is really cute as well!

Maddy25
October 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
it's cute yes, but so average, you'll blend in with everyone since it seems to be the "in" thing right now. If you keep growing you'll stand out with so much beautiful hair :D

Plus it would take a ton of styling to look like that, and hair products :P

Shall I remind you with this?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/afaf.jpg

Do you want to do this to your poor pretty hair hehe?

hmmm
October 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I have straightish hair, so when I had a bob like that I just had to make sure it didn't dry all funky after a wash. When it was almost dry, I'd curl it under with a brush or a comb. I agree, it's a great cut, I loved it when I had it.

alwayssmiling
October 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Spitfire - thanks for the compliment, I'm at a bit of an awkward stage at the moment and still battling with bleach damage - my hair isn't as nice as my avatar pic at the moment :o

Maddy - thanks for digging up those microscope pictures. I know that my hair can't cope with abuse like some can, it splits and breaks so easily. And ...it had crossed my mind that the style may be a little conservative for me. I do get bored quickly with my styles (which is why I'm in the mess I am with it :o)

hmmm - thanks for your opinion, looking at your hair I wonder if mine would be like yours when its longer :)

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
It does look lovely on Ms. Knightly, but don't forget she has plenty of funds for extensions, stylists, products, trims, etc. to make it look photo-perfect everyday and to change it whenever fashion dictates. And it's short enough that you wouldn't be able to tie it back I don't think (it's been a while since I was last near chin length), so you'd have to wash it everyday too. It's a cute cut, but it does come with a lot of maintenance... and it is a tinsy bit dull.

Two week rule? :)

alwayssmiling
October 6th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for your opinion pepperminttea. I think the fact the a couple of people have mentioned it being a little dull has made me think twice. I don't have a lot of time in a morning either and I rely on being able to tie it back. The 2 week rule sounds good, it would probably take that long to get an appointment anyway.

KittyLost
October 6th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I would say go for it it's cute! If you had straight hair which didn't require heat styling otherwise you may end up back where you are but with heat damage instead of bleach damage.

But it is very cute I agree and I think it would look nice :) but ultimately it will add another year to your hair growth and goal of long hair.

Unofficial_Rose
October 6th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I think Keira's cut is kind of mumsy, to be honest. :shrug:

I loved it when she had an above-shoulder, wavy highlighted bob though.

Maybe just trim off some of your bleach damage? I have bleach damage too, I know how crappy it is.

Besides, imagine having to get up early every morning to wash and style it...

Sundial
October 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Don't cut your hair just yet!!

It takes forever to grow out long hair but just a short while to chop it all off! It looks like you have some layers in your hair and it reminded me of something that I used to do when I wanted a different look.

Check out this hair tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhK7lRRDpYo Youtube has a ton of other similar tutorials. I have done this a few times (without the hair products, just bobby pins) and my friends/family thought I chopped my hair off.

Admittedly it takes a lot of patience and practice, but surely it doesn't take as long as growing out your hair again when you get sick of short hair right? Now you get to rock the short look and yet keep your long locks :p

LouLaLa
October 6th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I would wait. I cut my hair to a style a little longer than this prior to my gowing journey and ended up regretting it. Yes it looks great but you need very frequest trims to keep it super sharp looking. also you have wavy hair so youl be fighting your natural texture (I found it a hassle and I have rod straight hair).

Its a good idea if you want to get rid of all your layers and start again but as a style I can see it will cause you issues if you do really want to grow it long. Sadly all you can really do it just try forget about your hair and leave it alone (I know thats hard but I got to BSL in a year doing this and that was with two very large trims included (about 3 inches off of dye damage)

So Id say stick it out, I saw this pic yday and loved it too, but i know I will love it more when I feel my hair tickling the small of my back!

Wait a month, if you really want it go ahead, if you see another picture in the mean time that you want, youll know it was just a fashion desire.

If you really want a trim how about an Alexa Chung style which may be more suited to your texture? Or mess with your fringe alot or buy some extensions (I buy coloured synthetic ones so I can mess with colour and then clip it out again without the damage etc)

Its so hard to resist the urge to cut but it does fade a little. Ive found updos and forgetting my hair is the best way to get good growth as your hair basically wants to be washed occasionally/moisturised and left alone.

Good Luck!

Arianwen
October 6th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I came across this article yesterday of Keira Knightley's new hairdo. I think it looks lovely ....I am so tempted it get a short bob cut back in now my layers have grown out and finally get rid of the bleached ends once and for all. The only problem is because of my texture I guess I would have to use hair straighteners or at least a blowdryer to get it looking so perfect...what do you think? :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1317859/Paris-Fashion-Week-Lily-Allen-Keira-Knightley-make-appearance-Chanel-show.html

Don't do it!

there...?

spidermom
October 6th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Funny; I saw this same picture first thing this morning and thought "bleh!" I really don't get the appeal of the bob at all. On a few - a very few - people it looks all right. Never gorgeous; just all right. Don't do it!

Kris Dove
October 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
It's a nice enough 'do, but I preferred Keira's long hair in POTC to be honest!

xpeacelovekoala
October 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
If you reeeeally want to, then I would say go for it! But if it were me.. I'm not so into the whole chop and regret thing again just yet. ;)

It's very nice, but she can change her mind and have BSL hair in an hour. It takes years to grow that back out for us normal folks.

But ultimately, do what makes you happy!

Kris Dove
October 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
And- if you're in a hurry it'll look a mess without any styling and faffing about, but longer hair you can just tie back in a pony or bun and look tidy enough for work!

may1em
October 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Famous people can have other people do their hair as often as they want. We mere mortals, on the other hand, do our hair ourselves.

In any case, two week rule!

alwayssmiling
October 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Ok, ok you've collectively managed to steer me back on course (phew that was a close shave :p) Will go accessory hunting at the weekend to celebrate not cutting my hair :D

Thanks for your honesty guys:)

MClass
October 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Yes I saw it too and didnt like it very much. I like the sexy messy look though!

However I watched Bride Wars last night and LOVED the bangs on Kate Hudson then logged onto my favorite fashion website and they listed it as the "it" hair thing for 2011... So I sit contemplating... bangs or no bangs? I have thin, fine hair and during the winter months it just kind of hangs here lol.

Let us know what you decide!

bunzfan
October 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM

I say don't do it i had hair down to my waist which looked lovely and then i was tempted by a gorgeous bob which i could never keep it straight without the straighteners as my hairs wavy and a month later realized i hated and started growing it again i really couldn't believe i had been so stupid.

I get tempted from time to time that's why i wear it up maybe you could do that x

little_cherry
October 6th, 2010, 12:19 PM
You can't do much with a bob except over style it...I know, my hair has been in a bob it's whole life up until now (and after I was 4-5). :p

phistash
October 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I had my hair like that when I was seventeen, and it worked really well back then, when my hair was much straighter and smoother. I don't remember it being difficult to keep up; I would just use a round brush to curl the ends under/keep them from turning out. Now, though, I have wavy hair, so I'd not do it again. I'd wait two weeks to decide, but at the same time, I'm not afraid of short hair cuts, and think they can make certain facial features really pop, so if you really want it, go for it!

mariika
October 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I say do it. The first thing I thought when I saw that hair yesterday was - I need to have this hair. Isn't it just GORGEOUS?? Do it! Because - can you imagine how much more alive and emotional you will be in a month when Keira gets extensions and you realize you can't style your hair the way Keira has it in that picture anyways? And you have a different hair colour? And totally different facial features? And you will never take as great a picture as Keira does? Those will be the days of your life!!

Qwackie
October 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
It looks cute and stuff, but wouldn't you rather have a Pirates of the Caribbean Kira style?

Luckysock
October 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
it's cute yes, but so average, you'll blend in with everyone since it seems to be the "in" thing right now. If you keep growing you'll stand out with so much beautiful hair :D

Plus it would take a ton of styling to look like that, and hair products :P

Shall I remind you with this?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/afaf.jpg

Do you want to do this to your poor pretty hair hehe?

I want to put this up over my vanity... ;)

Shany
October 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I like it a lot, but like the others said, you don't have a lot of styling options with this haircut, no lazy day. Straighteners and blowdryer are damaging, but since it's a short haircut that needs to be refreshed often (trim often), the damage doesn't have the time to show up that much. I already had a heavily layered inverted bob and had it trimmed every 6 weeks. My hair looked healthy and felt silky even if I used my hair straightener often. I was lucky because it looked nice wavy too, I don't have much volume and no puffiness. I think long hair would also look nice on you. Go for it if you really want it, but it costs a lot of money to keep it looking good.

KristiLe
October 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
This is the kind of haircut that will either look super cute and stylish on some people and extremely homely and plain on others. I've seen it go both ways. The people that have had this cut where it turned out cute had the front a little longer than the back.

DecafJane
October 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
It is boring and you can't tie it up and it is too much hard work getting it to look acceptable. I don't recommend it.

Roseate
October 6th, 2010, 11:53 PM
This is the kind of haircut that will either look super cute and stylish on some people and extremely homely and plain on others.

When I had this cut, I felt like it would be super cute one day, homely the next, and I just couldn't exactly pin down what made the difference!

I liked the cut, though, went there from hip length and didn't regret it. The version I had looked decent straight or wavy, and I loved the shorter drying time.

pennylane
October 7th, 2010, 03:16 AM

If i was you i would not cut my hair. Frankly, bobs are becoming terrible boring, it seems that every five minutes Hollywood comes out with a "new bob". So no, i am not for it.

Also, i think Keira Knightley looks so much better with long hair!:)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/mikisu/keira_knightley_pirates_of_the_caribbean_this_show s_us_how_to_wear_a_hat_with_long_hair.jpg

FrannyG
October 7th, 2010, 03:39 AM
That is a lovely cut, but let me remind you that even Keira doesn't wake up in the morning looking like the chic Keira in that photo.

That cut, while it looks low maintenance will absolutely require a lot of maintenance to give it that shape and keep it in that shape. Even then, you may not find that it works for your hair.

It can be so appealing to see a style that looks so simple and wearable, but believe me, while you might feel very elegant the first day or two after the cut, you will likely feel less so after you wash your hair for the first time, and are stuck having to style it yourself. There's no telling just how much work it would take to keep your hair looking good all day.

I know exactly how it feels to be at your length, and I know that it's not the easiest length to deal with. Yet your progress has been wonderful!

Just let me remind you that within months you'll be able to do all sorts of things with your hair. In a year's time your hair will really be looking long.

I know about damage and layers, but they can be trimmed off gradually while you still grow out your hair.

Your hair looks so beautiful as it is, and will only become more so in the coming months. :blossom:

alwayssmiling
October 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Thanks FrannyG for encouragement and compliments.

You have all done a good job of talking me out of it - thank you. I'm going to kick start my new regime with some vitamins and exercise, CO washing is doing wonders for my condition - if I could just hold out for APL I think I would stop being tempted with a cut.

smileycat
October 7th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Oh, evil! I do love an angled bob (always worn a bit longer on me, though). Making it look nice, however, involves a lot of blow drying on a daily basis with a round BB brush, and I am boycotting the damage. Don't do it! Too much maintenance.

Plus I think Ms. Knightly is more striking with longer hair.