PDA

View Full Version : LHC Hairstyle Sightings Thread!

countryhopper
October 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM
So there's a long hair sighting thread....

How about a hairstyle thread? Have you ever seen LHC styles worn by people "in the wild"? (Ok, I know things like Lazy Wrap Buns, Celtic Knots, Fairytale Braids, etc are not TECHNICALLY LHC-only styles, but I feel like they are!! :D)

What have you seen people wearing in your area?

Roseate
October 5th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Oh, now this is so much more rare for me than plain old "long hair sightings"! I live in a good longhair viewing area, so I see relatively long hair every day. Nice styles though? Very rare. Barely anything to be seen beyond a messy claw-clipped bun.

adiapalic
October 5th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Never have seen an LHC hairstyle! :no: Heck, I've never even seen anyone wearing hair sticks, ficcares, or hair forks. That's not surprising, considering that where I live tends to be inhabited by people of more conventional hairstyles.

missjessiecakes
October 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
spidermoms bun. I was so shocked and then she just disappeared into nowhere before I could say anything

excentricat
October 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
While I've never seen any sticks, ficcares, etc. besides me and one friend, I did see an LHC type style held with a claw clip once. It was an off coiled bun with the loops in a row, and the remainder as kind of a tassel on the side. Again with the disappear before I could say anything.

Heidi_234
October 6th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I have seen one lady with blond hair near a theater wearing a center held bun with a black two prong fork (like a cinnamon bun, but with the fork on top of it, mostly visible). It was quite awesome! :D I wonder if she's familiar with LHC, because it was a very LHC-que hairdo.

Alvrodul
October 6th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I saw a woman earlier this autumn with an absolutely stunning Gibson tuck - sleek and lovely, with nary a hair out of place. And at the back she wore a pretty hairclip with a bow in ivory ribbon, which perfectly matched her outfit! :thud:
I don't think she had all that long hair - BSL, maybe MBL, but certainly no longer.
I gave her a compliment on the hairdo as I passed her - she looked rather flustered at that, but such a stunning 'do certainly deserves to be noticed!:D

Nae
October 6th, 2010, 05:05 AM
There is a lady who comes into my work who sports a bee butt bun and it is BIG! I can only imagine how long her hair is when she lets it down. She comes in with a little old lady with snow white hair that she has up in a large cinnamon bun. They are really cute, the lady and her grandma.

Ravenne
October 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I saw a woman in Earth Fare last month with a cinnabun of silver hair held up with a purple hair stick. I wanted to say something but I was nervous. :p I wish I had though.

countryhopper
October 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I saw several Gibson Tucks while in Beijing, but none so far in the USA

Olivia23
October 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I saw one at the zoo today wearing one of those leather ponytail covers!

capelli lunghi
October 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
A lady I work with frequently wears a herringbone braid or a cinnamon bun. There are also a couple guests that come in that always have their hair up in a cinnamon bun. That is really all I see besides a messy bun on top of teen's heads.. lol

Capybara
October 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
A friend wore a Gibson tuck to church the other day, it looked so pretty! Wish I could do them :o

I've only seen hairsticks IRL on people other than myself once, and it was a friend who I had converted to using hairsticks :p The only ficcares I've seen are mine and my sisters. I'll be on the lookout for more LHC-esque styles though.

Henrietta
October 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
My neighbour does perfectly perfect rose bun. I have no idea how, because I am too shy to ask. Now I know her better so maybe I will:)

And, it doesn't sound incredible, but in here girls wear their hair down or clipped up or into a messy buns or English braids. No "our" buns, no even a cinnamon bun, so when I saw a girl with a nice done French braid yesterday I smiled. Everyone complimented on her hair, because "it's so rare to see something different than a messy bun and it's so hard to make it yourself...". See? They think that a French braid is something unusual, when for us it's a basic. But in here... really, it is rare.

trolleypup
October 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Back when I was driving buses, there was a young woman who often caught my bus who did "hairstyle of the day"...always impressive...complimented her a few times.

Not so rare to see fancy styles and fancy hairtoys in use here...I'd guess about as often as I see classic length hair...I'll have to pay attention to that when I go out today!

Tabihito
October 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
There's a girl in my "Ancient World in Film" class who consistently has very LHC-esque styles. I've seen cinnabuns, hair sticks, what I think was a Ficcare, scarves, French braids... I keep wanting to ask her about it, but worry that it would weird her out if I did.

But uh... if anyone takes a class with that title and sees this post, I'm the short cadet with glasses who sits in the middle of the room.

lpsqt60
October 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have never seen any hairstyles beyond a cinnamon bun or a single braid around me, at my work the girls just either pony their hair or do a messy bun. Seriously, I think that I am the only girl with hair toys and different hair styles, every time I come to work with a braided do or my latest hair toy everyone says something because no one else does what I do.
P.S. I have tried to teach braids and I have given away my hair toys out of my head but still even with that no one wants to do anything new!:mad:

nmarie33
October 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I rarely see any updos but blobby "messy buns" around here. Sometimes an English braid.

Not long ago I saw a checker at Costco with wicked French braided pigtails. That's the only "LHC style" I've seen in the wild for a looooong time!

sibiryachka
October 12th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Today I saw a teenage boy walking near a high school, wearing a messy wrapped bun, secured by a stick!! Couldn't judge the length, of course, but it was bigger than my barely-mid-back hair would make in a comparable bun, so his is either way thicker/blunter or longer than mine. He was rocking it, too; it was a substantial stick, and it looked really masculine. I actually clapped my hands, I was so delighted.

TinaDenali
October 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The cashier at the Redmond Whole Foods was wearing hair sticks a couple months ago and I said, "I like your hair sticks!" And she was like, "Is that what they are called??" Hehe, obviously not an LHC'er :D

Henrietta
October 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
My acquaintance had beautiful, bunned Dutch braid yesterday. Her hair is so thick! Like... iiii :D
And she is doing some fancy hairstyles quite often. I have to mention that in here "fancy" means anything that is not a ponytail or English braid or messy bun:D

podo
October 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm the only one I ever see around here with anything but down or pony.

Once in a great while I'll see some random messy bun, but no sticks or forks or anything - even at the Renaissance Faire! It's a sad, sad world....

Kyaatje
October 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I just glanced a cinnabun (me thinks : was really a glance) with a really nice short stick !
It is the first time I see somebody other then my trainee manager and myself with sticks !!
I know there must be more (I'm noticing a lot of belgian people on this site) but I never see them !

Yozhik
October 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I've seen two people "in the wild" with Ficcares, and both times I stopped in awe and pointed them out to DBF!

Other than that, when I used to live in the DC metro area, I saw two beautiful crown braids (at separate times), and once a substantial bun with a ponytail coming out of it that reached TB! :bigeyes:

excentricat
October 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I saw a woman with her bun held by a jeweled fork this week. It wasn't any specific bun that I recognized, but I figure any fork bun counts as an LHC bun.

Tom Steinberg
October 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Some time ago I saw a lady who was about 55 with silver-ish waist length hair. I also managed to give her a compiment, and she seemed happy about that :)

jojo
October 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
A few years back now I saw a Chinese lady on the train with a number 8 bun, held in with a ficcare. I am way to shy to have approached her but I often wish I had as the back of head looked familiar but i may have imagine that!

Katurday
October 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The Indian ladies in the area have such beautiful hair and aren't too shy about braided buns and decorative combs and forks. I even saw a lady with her grays covered with the neon orange glow of henna, and to be honest it looked AMAZING against her Indian skin.

Yozhik
October 18th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Yesterday I went to a concert, and the lead singer was sporting a beautiful fairytale braid -- like in Torrin's tutorial! :)

I doubt she's an LHCer, though, but a lot of women here make gorgeous braided updos.

Capybara
October 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
While driving my commute this morning, I saw a lady with gorgeous silver hair waiting at a bus stop put up in *drumroll* the Masara!!!! There were no visible pins/means of securing the style, she must have used Amish pins or bobby pins or some type of bun pin. It was so pretty.

Neneka
October 21st, 2010, 05:20 AM
I saw a hairstick! On someone else! I was so excited and tried to see it better. But. Ok, it was a hairstick and all but it was a great disappointment when I noticed that it was just a decoration. It was not holding any hair. It was just put in a messy bun.

I always wear some fancy LHC -updos I have learned here and in a lecture I always find some girls with longish hair and I go to sit in front of them. I am sure that they see my hair and I hope that they will get interested and try something different on their hair too. Do you ever do this? :D

Khiwanean
October 21st, 2010, 05:54 AM
There's a girl in my Organizational Behavior class that wears her hair with a lace braid across the front.

GeoJ
October 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
When I was driving away from my DD's preschool, I saw another mother wearing Dutch Classic braids. They were pinned in the back, but her hair was not long enough for a noticeable bun so it was mostly her ends pointing out in the back. I was thrilled to see it! The only updos I normally see around here are sock buns or messy buns.

Xi
October 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Neat thread! A while back in St John's, Newfoundland, I saw a lady with lovely salt-and-pepper hair in an elaborate LHC-style bun -- I think perhaps a Chinese bun, or possibly a fancy cousin of the nautilus bun... I didn't get a good enough look (although I did stare at her in awe till she was out of my line of sight!).:)

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
French braid isn't anything super fancy, but you know, here, in a world of ponytails and messy buns, I felt surprised. Generally, I see more hairstyles at uni than in high school. Students are more creative or what?:D Not mentioning that an average length is waist here, not APL/BSL like in the city where I lived before:D

Yozhik
October 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Although where I now live there are a lot of people with fancy braided updos and even combs, I don't see practically any forks. But today I saw the coolest one I've ever seen! It was a cat with its back arched up, and the front legs formed the front prong while the back legs formed the second one! So cool! I asked the girl where she got it, and she said in Grenada, Spain.

...definitely out of my range :(

Yozhik
November 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Another beautiful LHC hairstyle sighted yesterday -- one of my students was sporting an intricate French-braided crown braid, but rather than going just around, it went in a spiral into the crown of her head! Very pretty and quite elaborate. I complimented her and she said her mother had done it for her. :)

Leneveu
November 13th, 2010, 04:17 AM
A few weeks ago I saw a girl with a braided bun held with a Flexi8 at the train station. She was walking away so I didn't say anything, but I was so surprised! :bigeyes:

...mind you, there's a German hair board, so she was probably from there.

akuamoonmaui
November 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I was at a play last night and there was an older lady (75+) who had her hair in what looked like three braids but coiled against her head. It was very lovely. It looked like her hair must have been long.

freckles
November 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM
The other day I saw a guy wearing a bun held by a hairstick. I hardly ever see hairsticks in the wild, and I hardly ever see guys with any other style than short, long-down, ponytail, and braid, so this was amazing!

Armelle
November 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Not many updos around here even though there's plenty of people of both genders with long hair. Lots of "messy buns" as already stated. What's up with that trend? :( I do see hairsticks on occasion, mostly on guys. I did teach my coworker how to use hairsticks and now she loves them! :)

09robiha
November 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Not many updos around here even though there's plenty of people of both genders with long hair. Lots of "messy buns" as already stated. What's up with that trend? :( I do see hairsticks on occasion, mostly on guys. I did teach my coworker how to use hairsticks and now she loves them! :)

I know! messy buns are a huge deal here and i have to admit I am partial to a pulling my hair into a messy knot on the back of my head now and then!

angelthadiva
November 16th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I don't see anything fancier than the messy bun. Occasionally I will see that side Dutch braid and variations of that, but it is rare. On the off chance I run into a LHCer; which typically doesn't happen unless it it planned, I'm the fancy hair wearer in my area ;)

Hana212
November 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I was at a nightclub on the weekend and one of the male bartenders had waist length hair in two French braids! I wanted to compliment him but it was too loud in there :(

Fiordiligi
January 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
A helper at my son's nursery today was wearing a crown braid. I've never seen one on anyone else in real life. :)

LoveMyLongHair
January 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Never have seen an LHC hairstyle! :no: Heck, I've never even seen anyone wearing hair sticks, ficcares, or hair forks. That's not surprising, considering that where I live tends to be inhabited by people of more conventional hairstyles.

Ha ha..............also a Carolina Girl......yes, most girls do the messy buns in scrunchies or the camo cap or the claw clamps.....

I am often asked 'how do you DO that hair' or 'where do you get THOSE things in your hair and WHY'.

lol.........because it's mine and I CAN. :P

Then, if I let my hair down, such as in Sally's last night when asking the girl for some product guidance.......her mouth fell open and she said, how DID you get ALL of that hair into THAT updo?

I wanted to giggle so badly, but bit my tongue and thanked her for the obvious compliment...she also noted the health of my blonde colored hair and marveled at it.

I was pleased.

*may have hijacked inadvertently* sorry for the ramble.

*hangs head in shame*

Hairsticks on guys......really? That, I have never seen......ever....

jujube
January 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
A girl in my class with gorgeous BSL hair showed up with a French twist. So classy!

bumblebums
January 20th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I was in line to board a plane, wearing a cherrywood Ketylo, when I heard a woman behind me whispering to her man, "I like that hair stick." I turned around and told her that I liked hers, too, because I'd been ogling it just minutes prior. Hers looked like a lacquered Japanese chopstick. Fancy my surprise when I saw them both again on the plane going back. She still had the same stick in her hair, but I had mine in a braid so she might not have recognized me.

I also see flexi-8s sometimes, and an occasional hair stick or sock bun.

Loreley
January 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Once I saw a woman wearing a hairstick. And about a month ago I went shopping and I saw 3 gypsy women, one of them had an incredibly thick classic length braid, another had the same but tailbone length. The third woman wore a HUGE cinnamon bun. My hair is iii, but my bun is half the size of hers. They were young and probably sisters. I was like :thud:. I rarely see anyone under 50 wearing a bun.

WaitingSoLong
January 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Never ever. Not one stick, or bun, or whatever. I have seen a french braid a RARE few times. I have seen cinnabuns on older ladies but that style has been around for eons.

All the long hairs around here wear it down or in ponytails. I have waited a long time to see an LHC style and am always disappointed. I have also secretly hoped some LHCer would see MY LHC style and say something to me but no one ever has.

MandaMom2Three
January 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I saw a woman with a HUGE and GORGEOUS bee butt bun at Walmart one time. I was hurrying to keep up with hubby and almost crashed in to people as I stared :lol:

ETA- I thought of saying something to her but chickened out. I've seen several beautiful long hairs here and I keep thinking I should mention LHC but I'm always afraid they ARE LHCers and would be like "Oh, it's YOU" (in a very negative way). Ahhhh the joys of insecurity :lol:

Beatrix_Kiddo
January 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Girls here in Chile prefer to use a claw clip in a messy and tangled updo. I've seen only a few women buns or braids, but anything more than that.
A gibson tuck? No way!! Even a Dutch braid can be weird here!

cmnt831
January 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I saw an older lady with a pure white rope braid last year. Other than that, I've seen knee length braids a couple of times on two different young women. But no hair sticks or other hair toys or updos that I would associate with LHC. I'm the only person I know around here who wears a bun on a regular basis and uses hair sticks. I sometimes wish someone would recognize me, but then like MandaMom2Three said, I'd be afraid they'd be like, "Oh it's you", in a negative way. :p

Blandine
January 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I saw a Flexi8 on someone recently. Unfortunately the owner is a person I cannot stand AT ALL, so I am not going to ask... And she has no idea how to do a proper bun, so she cannot be on these forums...

constantki
January 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I saw a flexi at a robotics competition!

hanne jensen
January 21st, 2011, 03:29 AM
I have never seen any LHC type styles here in Denmark. Nor have I seen hairsticks, hairforks or ficcares. I think that the only very long haired person here in Denmark is Igor, and she moved to Sweden! I also believe that I'm the only person in Denmark who wears African Butterfly Combs. Hairwise, it's very boring here in Denmark!

Tookii
January 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
I saw the vortex bun once in my gym, but thats it :/

SandraRebekka
January 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hey everybody

Here in Iceland it is a bit boring when it come to hair. A majority young women dye their hair and there are many different short cuts out here. I guess the longest hair I see commonly would be at BSL. I hardly ever see fancy up dos.

Greetings

turquoisebud
January 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
I rarely see any updos other than a messy bun or a ponytail here except for the Pentecostals. I have seen a lot of updos on them. I was at the store the other day and I saw a lady with hairsticks! I don't think they were holding the style up, but I have never seen hairsticks on anyone IRL before! (Or maybe I have, I just wasn't interested before) I wanted to go compliment her, but I was to scared! :p Chicken! :D

Vani1902
January 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have never seen a hairstick or fork here in South Florida. All I see are scrunchis and clips. :/
Sometimes, I might see someone with a cool braid.

pepperedmoth
January 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM
One of my besties in college frequently wore a crown braid, hairsticks, lots of LHC-type styles . . . but I'm fairly sure she's not here.

We had a falling out which was totally my fault and I still feel bad over so I'm not totally sure.

clairenewcastle
January 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
It seems to me that England is a nation of ponytail wearers with updos consisting of claw clips gripping messy hair.

I've yet to see someone wearing a hairstick or flexi. No-one seems to have any idea how to do a LHC updo in the north-east of England.

Anywhere
January 21st, 2011, 02:35 PM
There's one girl at my school who did a fishtail braid. I cant do a decent fishtail so it was impressive to me. There's one girl with CL hair that wears a hairstick once in a blue moon.

dRummie
August 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Why no activity in this thread? Surely there are interesting hairstyles out and about every day :)

I'll go: the other day, on the subway, I saw a gibson tuck. I did a bit of a mental double take, lol. I'm sure I've never seen that before around here - it's so different from the usual messy buns and half-ups that I think even pre-LHC I would have taken notice.

nmarie33
August 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
A few days ago I saw a woman in my office building with a French Twist/Log Roll sort of thing, held with a Ficcarre style clip. It looked very chic, and she must have had BSL+ hair. It is pretty rare to see an LHC style out in the "real world"!

I do think I am having an effect on my workmates. Two girls who sit near me are now growing their hair longer, and I have seen one doing Dorothy rolls in her ponytail, and one uses lace braids often now. I even saw the lace braid girl sporting a French braid the other day! It looked pretty good too!

archel
August 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Here in NC there are a lot of young long hairs, but they never seem to do anything other than the messy peacock twist with an elastic, most of the time it looks like they weren't looking when they did it and don't care how it looks, just want it out of their way. I never see hair toys aside from claws (which I must admit I love since I'm APL) most of the time. I see tons and tons of ponytails, too. That's about it.

vendethiel
August 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I never see LHC styles here, either. The popular style is bleached curls, otherwise there are ponytails, messy buns, and the occasional french braid. There is a girl at my library who uses hair sticks, but she just uses them for decoration in the occasional messy bun. I keep hoping, though.

Ligeia_13
August 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think I ever actually see hairstyles. Just hair tied back in a ponytail or a mess.

Either that or its down and perfectly brushed. There's no middle ground :p

SoulOfTheSea
August 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I wore my hair in a nautilus bun today for my second day of college, and I thought for sure I would get one comment, but nope, nothing!! Guess I need more artillery. ;) Time for herringbone braids, Edwardian half-backs, and French braids! (Oh and my lazy wrap buns :D).

ETA: In other words, I want an LHC-er to comment on my hair, and I really want to find one at my new college, I need someone to obsess over long hair with! :o

Kathie
August 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I've seen 3 or so people wearing hairsticks in the last year. I'm always shocked. A couple of them were actually pretty chop-sticks, the ones with the pattern on the top like this: http://www.akinaiblog.com/product/379, which is fair enough- they're much more common than sticks made for hair and are pretty in their own right.
But one was a pair of black acrylic hairsticks that were holding up a figure-8 bun! I didn't say anything, she was in a deep conversation with her friend. I just stared as I walked by :o

selderon
August 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
So far I'm the one in my area with LHC styles. I did a lace braid across the front and worked into a twist last week. My trainer was convinced I woke up extra early to do it. She seemed surprised (and perhaps a bit disappointed) to learn it took me two minutes to do my hair.

A number of the girls at work have lovely long hair. I keep hoping they'll get brave and venture into the world of more creative hair styling.

neko_kawaii
August 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Here is a thread that should get more activity!

Today I complimented a woman with a baby in a wrap on her french twist held with a large comb.

chen bao jun
August 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Long(ish) hair is more common here (mid-Atlantic USA)--every year the average length on young women gets about 6 inches longer. Many girls now have mid-back to waist.

They do wear hairsticks, but not LHC hairsticks. More like the ones you buy in Claires. They use those and pencils to do pencil buns. that is the only bun I commonly see.

However, I see a lot of different braids. They do fishtail braids and lace braids and other braids I don't even know the name of, very complex and interesting. The young girls at my church sit around and braid each other's hair elaborately at picnics and other occasions. Many if not most have virgin, healthy hair and their braids are gorgeous.

The women my age though, even if they have long hair (which a surprising amount do, though not the majority--its a conservative area, which is why I think they have long hair even in their 40's and 50's, they will grow to waist if they can manage it without damage) always wear it either loose or in a ponytail and if its up, its in a messy claw clip thing. they often say how they wish they could do hair, but that they can't.

chen bao jun
August 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
My church is mostly white people, not black. I see a lot of faux crown braids, like mine, created by French braiding, on black women with natural hair (like me). This is a very popular hairstyle now, with youtube tutorials, it's called 'goddess braids' usually. the youtubers tend to advise using gels and hairspray though to create, which I don't use.

There are a lot of older black women who do buns with a faux braid. This can look very classy if they match the faux hair up well with their hair. It is also a good protective style while growing hair. I never see hair sticks or flexi 8's or ficcares in this community, though. they use either bobby pins or those long black hair pins that you buy at Sally's. I never see barrettes in the black community on anyone but little girls.
Here is one black lady apply the faux bun--she uses too much product in my opinion, but the bun is nicely done and a good example of 'fake it until you make it'. She is not an older lady, interestingly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzXzFZy-5M

chen bao jun
August 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Goddess braid
Any hair type can do this, it's a good updo for when your is too short yet to easily bun. I do mine the opposite way--I start from the back and go forwards. there are many possibly variations. It will last for 2-3 days without you having to comb your hair if you wrap a scarf around it to sleep at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB94ras-o6w

Tangle or Curl?
August 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I noticed a woman on the bus with a sockbun almost the same size as her head on the bus a month or so ago. Afterwards someone posted a picture of her fun hairstyle for the day on here and low and behold, it was a fun sockbun nearly the same size as her head :O

jacqueline101
August 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Not too many have long hair in my area. The few I've seen have worn it down or in a pony tail.