PDA

View Full Version : Newbie mistake #1

Hana212
October 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
So I did a coconut oil soak on Monday.
I softly massaged it into my scalp and put on a shower cap for the next two hours whilst going about my daily 'day off' duties (washing clothes, cuddling my puppy etc.)
I then combed through (very easy - no tangles - fantastic!)

This is where I made my mistake (I think)
I then CWC my hair and left my hair to dry naturally... By the time it dried I realised none of the oil had left the bottom of my hair!
Where I had used the shampoo on my scalp was super soft and lovely and the rest of my hair was oily and gross!

This has resulted in a bad hair week. (3 bad hair days in a row so far) :(

silly me!!

Well I will wash my hair normally tonight.. and from now on CWC washes only - unless I am oiling my hair!

oh.. and quick question - anyone know a natural way to clarify my hair??

Cheers!!

xxx

bumblebums
October 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
If you're looking for natural, egg yolk is pretty good at removing oil from hair.

redneckprincess
October 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
i can wash out a heavy coconut oiling with just conditioner...

Kathie
October 5th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I've had the same problem. I hate it how its not really obvious until its dry. I wear my hair up 99% of the time so I just put it up and forget until it time to wash again.

I've noticed that some people leave the conditioner in for a long-ish period of time when they're using it to cleanse.

As far as a natural clarifier goes- I've heard that a little baking soda, mixed in with shampoo I think, can be good.

Also, are you using a SLS shampoo? Or do you have one? Because you can use them to clarify too.

shockinglength
October 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I oil mt hair and it gets washed out with my normal CO wash.

RachelRain
October 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I use heavy oils for soaking, but I use a little brown sugar in with my conditioner and it gets it out perfectly.

Hana212
October 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I think my shampoo is an SLS shampoo.. I haven't read much about this on LHC yet but I'm guessing its a bad thing. (definitely think I've seen it in the ingredients)
How long would you leave conditioner in for a CO wash???

xxx

Hana212
October 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
ooh brown sugar.. I can't do that I would eat my hair!

countryhopper
October 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I'd just comb it through and keep it up for the next few days until you wash again.

To anwer the clarifying question: you can mix a small amount of baking soda in your shampoo or dissolve a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water, massage into scalp, and follow up with a vinegar rinse or another acidic rinse

RachelRain
October 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think my shampoo is an SLS shampoo.. I haven't read much about this on LHC yet but I'm guessing its a bad thing. (definitely think I've seen it in the ingredients)

xxx

I leave it on while I shave my legs... so, probably... eight to ten minutes maybe?

Dars
October 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM

xxx
Many members use SLS shampoo, it is not a bad ingredient. It just comes down to personal preferences and what's effective for their hair.

leslissocool
October 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I use baking soda mixed in my shampoo to clarify :). Coconut oil leaves my hair a bit oily too, but the second time I wash it, my hair is just unbelievably soft!

christine1989
October 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I made the same mistake the first time I used coconut oil. Strangely enough it is the only oil that I cannot wash out with just conditioner.

Kathie
October 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM

xxx
Like Dars said, SLS isn't a bad ingredient. It is a surfactant basically meaning its something that can remove oils from you hair. Surfactants are in conditioner too, they're just not as strong or perhaps concentrated, that's why the CO method works.

In your typical shampoos there is a high concentration of SLS so you can get your hair pretty clean with a SLS containing shampoo. Some people don't like to use SLS shampoos because they're so cleansing i.e., some find it a bit harsh. It all comes down to what your hair likes.

I'm not a CO or CWC girl, so I cant help with how long to leave the conditioner in for :shrug: it'll probably depend on the conditioner and your hair. I'd recommend looking over the CO thread.

But I bet you'll just need to experiment- at this point you know that the length of time you left the conditioner on your ends wasn't long enough. Or perhaps you needed to use more. Or create more of a lather. etc etc.

Dont be disheartened though!! Learning different tips and tricks that could work for you is part of the fun of LHC :D

Crazycatlady
October 5th, 2010, 09:00 PM
To remove heavy coconut oil (the only way I seem to oil :p) I glob on lots of cheap, runny conditioner like Vo5 before I get in the shower. I put it on my dry, or oil soaked, hair then wait 15 min. or so and then jump in the shower and rinse really well. This is the only way I've ever tried to remove it because I read about it here and it has worked for me every time.

Good luck~ :)

sunrain
October 5th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have no idea what kind of hair you have, so I can't say if this will work for you. I'm a CO girl. Whenever I wash my hair, even with heavy oilings, I rub the conditioner into the length and then let it sit while washing the rest of me. To see my actual technique, watch habioku's videos on pre and post-wash oiling. The only differences is that I use the technique for both oiling and applying conditioner, and I stand up straight (I'll lean backwards or to the side as I'm working to keep my hair away from my clothes, or whatever) while rubbing stuff in. If this makes your hair tangle too much, don't comb/brush until your hair is dry, and try the method where you simply let the condish sit in your hair for a long time. With my coarse hair, I can also get away with doing the headbanging thing habioku does to dry hair faster. So, yeah, just some suggestions.

For clarifying, I use apple cider vinegar rinse. I think most people use 1-3 tb with 2 cubs water. The proportion depends on your own hair and scalp. I use it every single time I wash my hair, but for a lot of people, that's too much. The general rule is clarify whenever your hair feels gunky, or looks limp. As someone else mentioned, you could take a look at the CO thread for help.

Hana212
October 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I checked my conditioner ingredients and it doesn't contain SLS so maybe that's why it didn't clean it as well??
Well all the oil is out of my hair now and its feeling pretty good...

I can't do an ACV wash because I have blonde hair and don't want to affect the colour.

Thanks for all the tips guys!!! Much appreciated!!

xxx

RachelRain
October 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I checked my conditioner ingredients and it doesn't contain SLS so maybe that's why it didn't clean it as well??

I can't do an ACV wash because I have blonde hair and don't want to affect the colour.

xxx

try white vinegar :)

Tiina
October 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM

xxx

White vinegar can also be used, that doesn't affect colour.

Dolly
October 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Was your hair wet or dry when you applied the oil? If mine is even the slightest bit damp, I cannot get the oil out. If I oil when it is dry, it comes out quite easily.

wimsey
October 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
After oiling I leave CO in for 30-45 minutes.

Citric acid is another alternative to ACV rinse. I add 1/4 tsp or so to my final conditioner.

Dars
October 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
For clarifying, I use apple cider vinegar rinse. I think most people use 1-3 tb with 2 cubs water. The proportion depends on your own hair and scalp. I use it every single time I wash my hair, but for a lot of people, that's too much. The general rule is clarify whenever your hair feels gunky, or looks limp. As someone else mentioned, you could take a look at the CO thread for help.
Sorry to nitpick but vinegar rinses actually aren't clarifying.

Hana212
October 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Was your hair wet or dry when you applied the oil? If mine is even the slightest bit damp, I cannot get the oil out. If I oil when it is dry, it comes out quite easily.

My hair was bone dry when I applied the oil.
Well... I will get the technique right in time..

Wish me luck!

xxx

Kathie
October 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM

xxx

A conditioner doesnt have to contain SLS for it to be cleansing. There is more than one type of surfactant. SLS is just the one used most commonly in shampoos.

And, good luck!!

little_cherry
October 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM
i can wash out a heavy coconut oiling with just conditioner...
I oil my hair and it gets washed out with my normal CO wash.
Agreed...the best thing to do is to water wash your hair with warm water, then CO (massage gently until you get 'suds' and leave it in for the duration of your shower...this shall dilute the oil. Warm water is the key. Cold/cool water will not help.

To anwer the clarifying question: you can mix a small amount of baking soda in your shampoo or dissolve a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water, massage into scalp, and follow up with a vinegar rinse or another acidic rinse
This is very harsh, IMO... Undissolved baking soda is VERY abrasive. I would dissolve 2 tsp of baking soda in 2 cups of warm water; making sure to stir very well to dissolve it. Pour over your hair and leave for a few minutes....rinse and do an acid rinse. Always follow a BS rinse with acid. You can condition before or after an acidic rinse. If you don't like ACV, white vinegar or even the lemon juice rinse (2 teaspoons lemon juice per 2.5 cups of water) works well.

ACV is not actually clarifying... Dars is right. ACV rinses are used after some shampoo bars to remove residue or after baking soda rinses to return the acid mantle of the scalp to its normal pH. ACV will not remove residue from oiling or cones... A clarifying method such as Baking soda rinse or clarifying shampoo is best..

Winsom
October 6th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Glad to find this forum. I have started using tree tree oil and lavendar on my scalp and ACV and Hydrogen peroxide as a shampoo. I have dreads and hate to wash it too often but my scalp itches after two days. Turns out the shampoo was irritating my scalp and now I'm fine. Can't wait to read more good hints on caring for long hair.

Hana212
October 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Agreed...the best thing to do is to water wash your hair with warm water, then CO (massage gently until you get 'suds' and leave it in for the duration of your shower...this shall dilute the oil. Warm water is the key. Cold/cool water will not help.

Duration of your shower meaning how long? I live in Australia and am currently under very strict water restrictions.. My showers aren't meant to be longer than 3 minutes!!!
P.S I don't think I've ever gotten 'suds' from my conditioner?? - oh and my showers are always hot hot hot (I know its bad)

This is very harsh, IMO... Undissolved baking soda is VERY abrasive. I would dissolve 2 tsp of baking soda in 2 cups of warm water; making sure to stir very well to dissolve it. Pour over your hair and leave for a few minutes....rinse and do an acid rinse. Always follow a BS rinse with acid. You can condition before or after an acidic rinse. If you don't like ACV, white vinegar or even the lemon juice rinse (2 teaspoons lemon juice per 2.5 cups of water) works well.

Thank-you for the tip... I will try the BS rinse followed by a white vinegar rinse (as that works for my hair - ACV will not as I have blonde hair) hmm I haven't tried a lemon juice rinse yet.. does it have to be fresh? Or can it be from a store bought bottle too?

ACV is not actually clarifying... Dars is right. ACV rinses are used after some shampoo bars to remove residue or after baking soda rinses to return the acid mantle of the scalp to its normal pH. ACV will not remove residue from oiling or cones... A clarifying method such as Baking soda rinse or clarifying shampoo is best..

Thanks... surprisingly I knew this?? And I'm a NEWBIE!! hehe...

xxx

little_cherry
October 6th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Duration of your shower meaning how long? I live in Australia and am currently under very strict water restrictions.. My showers aren't meant to be longer than 3 minutes!!!
P.S I don't think I've ever gotten 'suds' from my conditioner?? - oh and my showers are always hot hot hot (I know its bad)
Oh, I know all about water restrictions :( I was born in QLD and have only been in Canada for 4 years. What you can do is this: Before your shower, rinse hair in sink or bowl with warm water, apply conditioner and massage it in hair for a couple of minutes. Apply shower cap and go do something for an hour and then have your shower as per usual. Try not to have too hot showers as this raises the cuticle of the hair too much and can cause splits...I love my warm showers, too. ;)

As for the 'suds'...well, it's not really suds....they're sort of small bubbles in a small amount..the same ones you'll get when you add water to a nearly empty conditioner and shake the bottle...it's sort of 'frothy' if that makes any sense?

Thank-you for the tip... I will try the BS rinse followed by a white vinegar rinse (as that works for my hair - ACV will not as I have blonde hair) hmm I haven't tried a lemon juice rinse yet.. does it have to be fresh? Or can it be from a store bought bottle too?You're very welcome :flower: Fresh has been reported to work best. If you can, find a bottled lemon juice that is the closest to the real thing (the only ingredients should be lemon juice, sulfur and lemon oil. ReaLemon is a good brand...I cannot remember if that brand can be found in Oz though. The beauty of this dilution (which is Mariika's dilution (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745)) is that this very low dilution will not dry the hair out and has been reported by many to decrease frizziness.

charalito
October 7th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I did the same mistake this Sunday and since I'm a no SLS girl (only BS/ACV) and my regular routine wasn't helping after 3 washes I experimented with egg wash. It solved mi problems!!!!

Here's what I did:
1 egg + 1 yolk
2 TB aloe vera gel
1 TB water
pinch of citric acid.

Whisk, apply on wet hair, leave for 15 min. Rinse with tepid/coldish water, do a citric acid or ACV final rinse.

Voilá! No more greasies and my hair is wonderfully soft!

Hope this helps :)

Hana212
October 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Thats good to keep in mind Charlito - thankyou for that advice!

xxx