PDA

View Full Version : Well water and demineralization treatments

Carriegirl
October 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I am thinking that the complaints i have about my hair may be related to our well water. We have a standard showerhead filter that does it's job but is nothing heavy-duty or special. Our water is heavy in iron and possibly calcium and magnesium and i don't think the filter removes everything.

I have just found out about demineralization treatments for hair and am thinking this may be a help for me. My hair really is in good condition overall, but it does lack shine. I just henna'd not even a week ago and i expected more shine and vibrant life to my hair but it still seems bit one dull and lifeless side.

I found this site:Well Water hair care products On Sale for well water users. Well water shampoo, well water conditioner, hair demineralizers (http://www.wellwaterhair.com/) (sorry, i've never learned how to mask a link) and it looks good, but i, of course, want opinions and recommendations from all my respected LHCers ;) I am thinking of just doing a weekly demineralization and not use their shampoo and conditioner. Do you think this alone would be helpful? Like dramatically helpful? Is there another product or method i should try instead.

Thanks for all help and feedback! I've already learned so much here! I LOVE this place! :)

Intransigentia
October 5th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Have you tried doing an ACV rinse? Sometimes vinegar is enough to deal with the hard water marks I get on my aquarium, so it could be worth a try.

Other possibilities: citric acid or ascorbic acid. I bet you some yummy cheese that one or the other of these is the active ingredient in that product. :cheese:

Both these organic acids essentially absorb metals and flush them away. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. I made myself an acid rinse by crushing a couple vitamin C tablets and dissolving them in a glass whose volume I don't know, in whater whose pH I didn't know (I used some pH test strips to make sure it was around 4.5) and liked the effect quite a bit, though my water is only medium-hard and I don't know if it was chelation that was helping, or just the acidity.

virgo75
October 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I only recently realized that I had mineral buildup on my head when I dug out an old chelating shampoo and used that instead of my regular shampoo and my hair was much shinier, tangled less, and was softer. It seemed to absorb the conditioner I used better and felt moisturized for a few days instead of just until my hair dried. I found that it helped right away(but I shampooed like 3 times the first time I used it) and now I use it when my ends feel tangley and my hair dries out faster - so about every couple of weeks or so.

That system could help, but I tend to try what's local first. You can find chelating shampoos at the beauty supply store or salon. I think Nexxus(Aloe Rid), Joico, and Redken all make one. At the drugstore there's Swimmer's Shampoo & ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo(in the ethnic aisle).

Hope that helps. :flower:

RachelRain
October 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Have you tried doing an ACV rinse? Sometimes vinegar is enough to deal with the hard water marks I get on my aquarium, so it could be worth a try.

Other possibilities: citric acid or ascorbic acid. I bet you some yummy cheese that one or the other of these is the active ingredient in that product. :cheese:

Both these organic acids essentially absorb metals and flush them away. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. I made myself an acid rinse by crushing a couple vitamin C tablets and dissolving them in a glass whose volume I don't know, in whater whose pH I didn't know (I used some pH test strips to make sure it was around 4.5) and liked the effect quite a bit, though my water is only medium-hard and I don't know if it was chelation that was helping, or just the acidity.

This. We have a well and since I've been doing a lemon juice or acv rinse, my hair is much easier to deal with afterwards. I haven't tried the crushed vitamin C rinse but that's pretty nifty, I might try that sometime.

Intransigentia
October 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I should mix up another batch with a known volume of distilled water and post the "recipe". What I've ended up doing is diluting my conditioner 50% with vitamin C solution. I like the effect but of course ymmv.

aenflex
October 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Have you considered a better filter? I got one at Lowes for around fifty bucks that supposedly takes out just about everything...

In2wishin
October 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I looked up the ingredients in the Malibu Hard Water Weekly Demineralizer you referenced:

Ingredients: Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Betaine, Silica.

It supposedly disolves into a gel when you add water which would be the Xanthan Gum. The Sodium Laurel Sulfoacetate makes it foam. Not quite sure what the dextrose (sugar) does so the basic active ingredients are ascorbic acid and citric acid. Either one of those separately or together should work.

I use citric acid in my dishwasher to get the mineral buildup cleaned. I get it from Wholesale supplies Plus http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CategoryID=2131&ProductID=469 4.5 pounds for $14 and they have free shipping for orders $15 or more.

Carriegirl
October 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks so much for all the answers!

Intrasigentia: I have tried ACV rinse just once so far. It was okay but i think i diluted it WAY too much! I think i will do a 1:6 ratio, like 2 cups water and 1/3 cup ACV. Is it best to do it between conditioner and shampoo? I did mine after both, but it sounds like doing it between may make the conditioner absorb better.

Virgo75: I prefer going local too...in my own house/kitchen is even better! Can't wait to try the ACV again! I have never heard of a chelating shampoo...is guess that is the same as demineralizing? This is something i have to read more about in general since we have a well. What might this high-mineral content be doing to our bodies?! Do you see a difference between using a chelating shampoo vs. ACV or lemon/citric acid?

Aenflex: I would love to get a better (actually whole house) filter system. I figured it would be too much money, but I will check Lowe's and see what i find. Thanks for the tip :-)

In2wishin: Thanks for looking up the ingredients. You beat me to it! Since you mentioned dishwasher buildup, I see that I really must have very hard water because my dishwasher is all gunked up! I've been looking for a solution for that problem as well - now i will try filling the cups with lemon juice.

RachelRain: Wells have their pros and cons, huh?! It's good to know the lemon/avc works for you. I am hopeful for the same success!

Thanks, again!

RachelRain
October 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks so much for all the answers!

Intrasigentia: I have tried ACV rinse just once so far. It was okay but i think i diluted it WAY too much! I think i will do a 1:6 ratio, like 2 cups water and 1/3 cup ACV. Is it best to do it between conditioner and shampoo? I did mine after both, but it sounds like doing it between may make the conditioner absorb better.

Virgo75: I prefer going local too...in my own house/kitchen is even better! Can't wait to try the ACV again! I have never heard of a chelating shampoo...is guess that is the same as demineralizing? This is something i have to read more about in general since we have a well. What might this high-mineral content be doing to our bodies?! Do you see a difference between using a chelating shampoo vs. ACV or lemon/citric acid?

Aenflex: I would love to get a better (actually whole house) filter system. I figured it would be too much money, but I will check Lowe's and see what i find. Thanks for the tip :-)

In2wishin: Thanks for looking up the ingredients. You beat me to it! Since you mentioned dishwasher buildup, I see that I really must have very hard water because my dishwasher is all gunked up! I've been looking for a solution for that problem as well - now i will try filling the cups with lemon juice.

RachelRain: Wells have their pros and cons, huh?! It's good to know the lemon/avc works for you. I am hopeful for the same success!

Thanks, again!

I actually have best results when I combine the two. I take a big gulp cup - you know, the giant plastic cups you get at Taco Bell or Mcdonalds? - and start making lemonade - I just open the bottle and pour but I think it's about 1/3 of a cup of lemon juice. Add some acv or white vinegar - again, I just pour but it's probably about 2-3 tbsp. I then add a squeeze of honey and about a cup of hot water, and stir til it all combines. I let it cool down, bring it into the shower with me, fill the cup, put it on the floor outside of the shower and use it between my conditioner applications (or when I'm using shampoo, after shampoo but before conditioner.) That way you still have conditioner in your hair and can still brush your hair afterwards without causing a rats nest.

And if I run out of lemon juice (or crystal light packets, I've done it with crystal light too with good results!), and just do acv, it's probably the same amount, or a little more, so still probably about 2-4 tbsp to a full cup of water.

Make any sense? I know it was rambly, sorry. lol.

jeanniet
October 5th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I have well water--hard water, high iron. We do have an iron filter but it's not 100%. I had a real problem with my hair feeling gunky and built up until I started COing with a conditioner that's pretty high in citric acid (Trader Joe's Refresh) and then did a weak citric acid rinse to finish (1/4 tsp. in 1/2 gallon of water). It's done absolute wonders for my hair. If you like shampoo, I found that Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo also works well, but I wouldn't want to use it every time. I've heard good things about the Malibu line, but it's expensive and I try to avoid shampoo, so I wanted to do some experimenting first.

You might also read this thread: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=51184

virgo75
October 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM

I think the difference is using one of the main mineral removing ingredients(lemon juice or ACV) vs. using a formulated shampoo or treatment. I think both could work, but I don't trust my own kitchen skills on my hair. :lol:

The thought of these minerals in my body is so scarey! :shudder:

Good luck with whatever you try!
I hope whatever you use works for you. :flower:

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Unless the mineral content is super-extreme, or contains things you really shouldn't be putting in your body anyway - like arsenic or something - the hard water is probably not harmful to drink. They're minerals you need anyway - especially calcium and iron! South American tropical fish sure won't like it, so you'd be better off with African cichlid fish or saltwater, but other than that...

I haven't actually done a vinegar rinse myself, because I find vinegar yucky, so I can't advise on that. I ended up making myself a vitamin C conditioner (50% Vit C water, 50% conditioner), on the theory that if the ascorbic acid stays on my hair for a while, it will chelate away more minerals than will be deposited while I rinse it out. I think it's the best idea I've gotten from LHC (after oils!), although I don't know if it's really chelating out minerals or just the acidity that's helping. I don't care because my hair is liking it. :cheese:

And thanks for posting that archived thread, I remembered having read it (it's hwere I got the idea) but couldn't find it again.

Carriegirl
October 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
iIjust wanted to give an update since I just did a serious ACV rinse. I used 1 3/4 cups water, 1/3 cup ACV and 1 tsp lemon juice. I poured it over my hair after washing and before conditioning, leaving it on for a few minutes, then i rinsed and conditioned. Now that it is almost completey dry it feels soooo soft! It is also tamer then usual (less halo) and i think it is even lighter in color - i didn't expect that, and not sure i like that, but i guess it means that it really was dull from buildup before!

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement! I will definitely be making this a regular part of my hair routine. :-)

angelfell
October 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
At my parents house, we have well water. Since practically moving in with the BF's family, and not having taken a shower in well water for ages, my hair and skin was actually drier! Not by a whole lot, but my hair always seemed shinier and silkier with well water -shrugs-. The only thing I know that was in our water was sulfur, though, because out of the sink and all it had that egg smell :p. But I didn't really smell that in the shower, I don't know if our shower filtered it or what..

Neecola
October 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Carriegirl,

I feel your pain... I'm in the same boat! My super hard water just laughed at the shower filter I bought... It didn't do much and then was clogged in a few weeks. There is a shower water softening system I was looking at... Shower stick or something like that.

Until I can get the $ for that, I've been using the Ion mineral build up treatments from Sally's Beauty Supply. The ingredients are similar to the Malibu treatment and the packets are only $3 plus no shipping if you can find it locally.

I henna my hair and hennaed hair becomes more brown in hard water so using this treatment weekly has helped keep the color more vibrant. I do a treatment right before hennaing too. I also do lemon juice or ACV rinses.

Aubrey Organics has a swimmers shampoo that has worked pretty well for me. It does not lather at all which took some time to get used to but it definitely cleans. I follow with the matching conditioner.

These things seem to be working pretty well so far for me. HTH