PDA

View Full Version : cinnabun vs bee-butt bun

podo
October 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Every time I try to make a cinnabun, I end up with a bee-butt bun, even if I wrap so loosely the inner coils fall out without their own pins!

Please, what am I doing wrong?

I actually did finally get one done a couple days ago, mostly by trying the off-coil bun and ending up spanning the 2nd twist outside a center twist. Go figure. But that was a super-tight roll, and only held because I pinned it down using half a rack of pins!

Perhaps a related question.. when I do any kind of bun that starts with a coil from the center - braided or twisted - I always have a poof right at the beginning where my hair first starts to move. Why is this? What can I do to make it stop? (I discovered it's worse when starting with a ponytail, but it's there even without.)

Thanks all! I know I've been away for a long time, but I'm trying to be more involved once again. :D

pepperminttea
October 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I find pinning as you go along helps; twist the first coil, pin it, then coil around it, pin that, and so on. Otherwise the middle of mine pops out too (though I generally just lose patience and do a nautilus instead :p ).

I get a 'poof' effect too, between the back of my parting and where the twisting starts. I twist downward first, and then bring it up, so I think that's how it happens. I guess if you started twisting in a different direction it might help?

Intransigentia
October 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I find if I twist in the direction that feels natural, I get a bee butt, but for some reason if I twist it the other way I get a cinnabun. Maybe because I don't have motor habits for doing it backwards?

Sheltie_Momma
October 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I can only get rid of the center poof by dividing the hair into two sections, it's just too thick to sit flat.

ravenreed
October 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM
My first coils sticks up very high compared to the rest of my bun because I have layers. I find if I twist tightly and place my hand with a flat palm over the middle of my bun, this squishes it down enough that the coils go to the side rather than under. HTH.

Carolyn
October 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
If I want a flat cinnamon bun I do some pinning as I wrap it with some Amish pins. My cinnamons always want to turn into bee-butts.

podo
October 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I find if I twist in the direction that feels natural, I get a bee butt, but for some reason if I twist it the other way I get a cinnabun. Maybe because I don't have motor habits for doing it backwards?

There might be something to this. Plus, I saw a torrinpage vid on it and she twists it like starting a french twist (going up before around and around) so maybe I'll try that.

princessp
October 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Yes, this might be it! I have no trouble with a cinnamon bun and based on the poll a month or so ago, I twist mine opposite from most right handers. Try twisting the opposite direction.