PDA

View Full Version : Good Wiki on Hair Care

x0h_bother
October 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I find this Wiki on hair care to be very helpful/informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_care

aenflex
October 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Cool -I'm reading it now :)

paperwhite
October 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
That was interesting :) I like the part about containing long hair to prevent it from becoming tangled in trees or shrubs, I'll be sure to look out for those :p

Crazycatlady
October 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Who would have thought that Wiki would have covered this topic so thoroughly (IMO). Thanks for sharing it with us~ :)

Yozhik
October 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Very interesting! I found all of it to be a pretty accurate and entertaining synthesis, although I bet a lot of people would beg to differ with their recommendation to shampoo twice -- first for the roots and second time for the length :)

Also -- how cool that shampoo is such a new thing, and that the word comes from Hindi!

podo
October 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Who would have thought that Wiki would have covered this topic so thoroughly (IMO). Thanks for sharing it with us~ :)

Oh, I don't know. The very purpose and process of Wikipedia is about combining knowledge - much like LHC. :cheese:

I'm just happy they seem to have been paying attention to LHC! :hifive:

angelfell
October 5th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Wow, that was pretty informative! I like learning new things so I thought that was wonderful :) Thanks for sharing!

Dragon
October 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks for sharing:)

MsEvans
October 6th, 2010, 01:38 AM

I wasn't expecting that much information. Thanx

kabelaced
October 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
From the "Delicate Skin" section of the article:

Delicate skin

Scalp skin of babies and the elderly are similar in subdued sebaceous gland production, due to hormonal levels. The sebaceous gland secretes sebum, a waxy ester, which maintains the acid mantle of the scalp and provides a coating that keeps skin supple and moist. The sebum builds overly, between every 2–3 days for the average adult. Those with delicate skin may experience a longer interval. Teenagers often require daily washing of the hair. Sebum also imparts a protective coating to hair strands. Daily washing will remove the sebum daily and incite an increase in sebum production, because the skin notices the scalp skin is lacking sufficient moisture. In cases of scalp disorders, however, this may not be the case. For babies and elderly, the sebaceous gland production is not at peak, thus daily washing is not typically needed however not a bad idea.

Is this really true? How does the skin "notice" if there's not enough sebum? This seems like pseudoscience to me. :confused: Can anyone confirm this?

daaisychains
October 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
x0h_bother i have some serious hair envy going on.

Your hair is stunning, so thick ah. : )