PDA

View Full Version : How to moisturize the scalp?

Konstifik
October 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah, how?
My hair is in a good condition, loves shampoo with SLS, hates everything else.
But my scalp is always so dry dry DRY!
I know oiling isn't really moisturizing, only protecting. But what is there to protect but white little dry flakes. :P

So, what's your trick for a happy, moisturized scalp?

XcaliburGirl
October 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
My scalp really seems to like aloe. I did an aloe vera gel wash a few days ago after using ALS/ALES shampoo and it definitely helped. (Just to be clear, I did the aloe wash the next day.)

Also, I read someone on this site having good luck with jojoba oil. Haven't tried that.

I'll be watching this thread for more suggestions.

Morrighan
October 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'm looking forward to the replies because I have the same problem. Some people get their hair damp with a mister bottle before applying the oil. That's supposed to lock in the moisture of the water. Maybe you could try to do the same with your scalp? Either oil after you wash or after you mist it down?

I've tried this, but my hair doesn't want to move when wet and I can't get to my scalp. It's like concrete.

pepperminttea
October 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I use sulphates too, though no cones, with the CWC method. I find putting that second condition from roots to tips helps, rather than just from the ears down.

schweedie
October 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Well, I have a problematic scalp that generally isn't all that happy, but one thing it does seem to like is aloe vera gel. I massage it into my scalp before going to bed a few times a week, and I think it's helping with at least some of the dryness.

Roscata
October 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
You can use oil to moisturize you scalp, you just have to find one that your skin and hair like.
Put some oil on the tips of your fingers (less is more), rub them together for even distribution then massage the oil into your scalp. If you run out of oil before you finish the entire surface add more.

An article on oil comparison (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66) (to help you choose)

Dry itchy scalp solutions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=6)

Hope this helps!

Roscata
October 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Also I'd use olive oil first (unless you have an allergy to it). Olive oil can be good for your skin's moisture. Link (http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/beauty-and-olive-oil)

aenflex
October 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Coconut, Avocado and Olive oils actually do penetrate versus simply coating.
Drink more water. Maybe take an oil supplement, fish or plant. Nourish the scalp from the inside.

Anje
October 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Try oiling it anyway -- it may work. Skin does absorb oils.

For some reason, neither my skin nor hair get sufficient moisturization from oils, though, and need something water-based. Since most conditioners (especially the cone-free ones) are very similar ingredients-wise to lotions (heck, Sally sells this Cure Care stuff that is supposed to be both a conditioner and a body lotion), I don't really have any qualms about putting them directly on the scalp, if that works for a person. Try something like soaking in an SMT or just straight conditioner for 30 minutes or an hour, then rinse it out. I'll bet your scalp will be much more moisturized, as well as your hair.

Igor
October 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Have you tried exfoliating? If your scalp is covered in dead skin it won’t be able to absorb moisture as well. I find cassia is amazing at exfoliating: The grains are “sandy” but not hard enough to scratch the skin

Gvnagitlvgei
October 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
You can exfoliate with white sugar in conditioner and then apply jojoba oil in very small amounts...then massage scalp fully for 15 minutes. It's supposed to help you produce your own sebum.

Konstifik
October 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

First of: SMT is unfortunately out of the question. It seems to be the worst treatment for my hair, ever. :confused: I've tried it a few times with various conditioners and honey, all of them end in the same horrible result. >.<

As for exfoliating, I already do that with cassia, as Igor suggested. :) (Although I mainly use cassia for the awesome blondeness :D)

Honey and aloe vera is a good idea. I've tried it some, but not enough to have an opinion of it yet. So that will follow me to the bathroom today. :)

As for oils, I've tried olive, jojoba, coconut, chamomile, almond and NB's oil mix. My hair liked them, but none of them really did anything for the scalp.

I have a parade of vitamins, minerals, omegas and pretty much the entire need of the human body behind me in bottles. Last visit at the doctors office resulted in impressing blood value measurement. :D And I'm getting really good at drinking water at even the slightest hint of thirstyness.

I had aloe on the scalp overnight, going to shower soon. I'm optimistic for good results!

MsEvans
October 6th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Be sure to inform us of the result

Konstifik
October 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Oh and regarding lotions, I've tried using a handcreme, but no noticeable result. :(

I rinsed out the overnight treatment now (Z skin repair scalp lotion spray + aloe vera + chamomile and castor oil). My hair feels GREAT, and the scalp is so far not feeling dry and sore. Will report back once the hair has dried. :)

XcaliburGirl
October 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I hope the aloe works for you. :)

I thought washing with true soaps was working for my scalp, but it as been getting worse lately. So, like you I may need to switch back to using a drying shampoo and then applying something soothing afterward. I tried CWC wtih Selsun Blue this morning, but diluted it and followed it with aloe (which I rinsed out). No idea if that will work.

Have you tried exfoliating? If your scalp is covered in dead skin it won’t be able to absorb moisture as well. I find cassia is amazing at exfoliating: The grains are “sandy” but not hard enough to scratch the skin
I've heard henna is good for dandruff, but I don't want to make my hair reddish. Maybe I should try cassia.