PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it??

09robiha
October 5th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Most of you have seen my homage to black hair thread and I am seriously considering going black with something like manic panic or sfx (both of these dys seems to really stick to my hair).

I know there will be alot of upkeep but no bleaching as I natural have blonde hair. I jsut dont know if I would suit it. I have very pale skin and blue and curly hair that is currently a copperish colour. I presumed if I dyed it black I would have a bit of a snow white thing going on.

There are some pics in my album, opinions or adive pweaaassse :D??

jojo
October 5th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Well I love your red and have looked at your photos and think black may be a little too harsh but a chocolate brown would be more flattering for your skin tone or even a dark auburn. I like the reds on you because it really emphasises your beautiful eyes; the thing with black is it can harden features if your naturally fair haired and its the most difficult hair dye to remove.

Good luck whatever you decide and remember we love photos!

spidermom
October 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Try on a wig or drape some black material over your head first. I have a feeling that black might be too harsh for your coloring, but I'm not a good visualizer.

kabelaced
October 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I think if you want to try it, then try a temp black dye. If it ends up looking too harsh, it washes out. :) When I was much younger I was obsessed with wanting to dye my hair brown, and when I finally did (with a temp dye), I thought it was nice in a novel way (and I still appreciate beautiful honey-brown and brunette color), but in the end, I stuck with my regular haircolor! :) You just might feel the same, and that's perfectly okay.

melrose1985
October 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I kind of agree with the others about the black maybe being a bit much. But I like what spider mom said... Try something on with black... a wig or something. Of maybe some can photoshop you with black hair (any takers? I'm not good at that!)

I love the red on you, I almost can picture you blonde! But I think a chocolate brown could be nice on you too!

christi.adell
October 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Well I love black hair on pale skin with blue eyes (it's what I have! :D) but unless you're 100% sure then don't use a permanent dye.
I tried on a black wig before I took the plunge and wore it a few days to be sure. Also manic panic usually fades out pretty good so that might be a good option. I don't know about the MP though since I've never used the black.

I feel like my black hair does something for my coloring that my boring mousey brown didn't. I also suggest dying your eyebrows if you do it. I didn't the first couple of weeks and it was super obvious that I dyed my hair since they were very light. Now it looks more natural.

Kris Dove
October 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I used to dye my hair black and I'm naturally blonde- there's an old pic in my album.

I loved it at the time, I think that gothic look of black hair and pale skin and eyes is very attractive, but I found it very high maintenence, not only in terms of doing the roots, but dying my eyebrows and lashes to match, and wearing makeup everyday- with face makeup to even my complexion and dark gothic eyemakeup my blue eyes "popped", but without it I looked awful and ill, so I felt naked without my face on- something to consider if you don't normally wear makeup.

You'll also damage your hair quite a bit if you ever decide to go back to your roots as you'll need to heavily bleach it- I grew my hair out a few inches and got a pixie to go back to my roots after a few years. You don't have to be that dramatic though, in hindsight (after I discovered I really don't suit short hair...!)I would have bleached it first then probably leave it as long as I could with it looking okay, at least a long bob, to get rid of most of the damage.

mariika
October 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I SO don't think black will suit you. Check these:
http://evagreenweb.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=549&pos=7
http://evagreenweb.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=558&pos=12
http://evagreenweb.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=574&pos=1

Angeletti
October 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I would definitely go for it if it's something you think you will like, but just make sure to use the manic panic or something temporary so that way your not stuck with it if you hate it. As for the pale skin and dark hair I think that it's absolutely beautiful to see that, but then again I'm sort of gothic in my tastes so not everyone always likes that. You will have to show us pictures if you decide to do it : )

Luckysock
October 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Although I don't have exactly the same coloring as you, I am very pale also and when I dyed my hair black I found that it really made my features pop, but that it also washed me out a lot. I found that i had to wear a lot more make up than before to look the way I wanted to look and that got old. Also when I decided to go a shade closer to my natural colour it was very hard to strip the black out. In the end it just seemed like the way black hair looked on women who naturally had it was never going to be how it was going to look on me - I was always going to look a bit fake, and I didn't care for that. In the end I went back to my natural colour and have been very happy with the way it makes my skin look.

I wouldn't do it again myself, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I agree about trying on a wig for a while, or consider gradually going darker and darker...

KittyLost
October 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
How about instead of dying your hair black you dye it a dark brown instead? It is less harsh and easier to get rid of if you don't like it plus when you dye your hair dark brown it comes out black for a while until it fades anyway :twocents:

Maddy25
October 5th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I hope you dont mind but I photoshopped it to see...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/black.jpg

I think it would look pretty :) But you have to be careful, when I dyed my blonde hair black I found it dulled fast, and didnt look as shiney and nice as I wanted for very long. I think with your complexion and eyes that a dark brown would look great, like Megan Fox ;)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2009/09/megan-fox.jpg

it's pretty much dark like black but with warm tones rather than cool tones.

lundmir
October 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Maddy25, I was just about to photoshop the same picture! Good thing I always do read everything in a thread.

09robiha, I do think it would suit you seeing that picture. But do keep in mind the eyebrows and eyelashes, and don't do a permanent dye. Try a temporary dark one, and if you like it, you can always go darker.

When I didn't want to ruin my red length when I went back to black nearly a year ago, I mixed myself a black dye with red, magenta, yellow and blue vegetable deposit only dyes. But that leaves you with either purple, green, brown or red faded colors depending on your mix, and you have to know color theory.

Best of luck with your decision!

hmmm
October 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Personally, I love your hair colour and I think it suits you beautifully. But I don't much like black hair myself - it's too ordinary to me, because I'm surrounded by it :silly:

mellie89
October 5th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have a friend who has pale skin and blue-gray eyes, and she's dyed her hair black since we were in 8th grade. It suits her really well. I'd say go for it, but with something fairly temporary to start. Then if you find that you're just going through a phase, you don't have to chop/bleach/grow out for years.

Kathie
October 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I've dabbled in black too. Like Maddy25 said, I'd recommend going a dark red/black because you suit the warmer tones. But the cold blue-blacks or pure black could work, or might not :shrug:

(BTW, I went blue/black over blond and it faded to navy blue :doh:)

Demetrue
October 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I really liked the pics of you with the dark red hair. I would try temporary auburn color first. I also think a very dark brown would like nice. Obviously, if you are hankering after black, you probably won't be happy until you've tried it at least once - just use temporary!

christine1989
October 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It seems a bit dark for your skin tone. I tried black in high school and it wasn't terrible but it did look a bit extreme on my really pale skin. It is tough to grow out too. Luckily my hair was almost black to begin with so it wasn't too awful looking. Think hard before you do it though because "once you go black its hard to go back" ;) (I just couldn't resist!)

Toadstool
October 6th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Well, it looks lovely in the photoshopped picture of you!

MsEvans
October 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I love black hair as well. Whatever you decide, make sure your eyebrows match and that your eyelashes appear well too. I would dye my eyebrows a little lighter than whatever color you choose and never leave home without mascara.

Irnann
October 6th, 2010, 03:02 AM
You have a very soft beautiful face with a light rosé undertone and your curls are stunning.
I love black hair too, but i think you would look fantastic with a dark copper color like nightshade has it.

melrose1985
October 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I love that picture that Maddy photoshopped! Beautiful!

jojo
October 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
It seems a bit dark for your skin tone. I tried black in high school and it wasn't terrible but it did look a bit extreme on my really pale skin. It is tough to grow out too. Luckily my hair was almost black to begin with so it wasn't too awful looking. Think hard before you do it though because "once you go black its hard to go back" ;) (I just couldn't resist!)

That made me LMAO!!!:eyebrows: